[8190N] How to root my phone and install CM 11 ?

Search This thread

Clm_

Jan 22, 2014
Hi!

I encountered some issues with my battery. With a regular use of it, my battery can not last longer than 12/15 hours. Wifi/bluetooth/3g are never activated when I don't use them, and my screen luminosity is always on the minimum setting. After I checked on the internet what was wrong with the battery, I found out that its lifetime can be increased by installing a custom ROM, that's how I learned about Cyanogenmod.

I would like install Android 4.2.2 Kit Kat on my phone but I don't really know how to do it. I know that I need to root my phone but all the tutorials I found out about it was for the i8190 version of the phone (and I got the 8190NXXAB1) or seemed outdated (from 1 yr ago). I don't want to "kill" my phone by doing something stupid so it would be so nice of you if you guys could explain me how to root my phone and then how to install CM 11... I'd really appreciate it cause this battery issue is a real problem to me since it can't last the whole day...

Thanks by advance!:)

james.faction

Jan 20, 2014
337 29483323

You don't need to root the phone to install a new ROM - just:

1. Use ODIN
2. Install custom recovery
3. Dalvik and wipe
4. Flash ROM
5. Enjoy!

maclaw.pl has good instructions and downloads for all the tools including good quality ROMs for i8190N (although NFC may not work) - same model as my phone. I bit the bullet and went custom only last week, happy with Carbon at the moment :)

If you want better instructions with pictures, just google "flash a custom ROM with Odin" or something similar, there are plenty out there.

Clm_

Jan 22, 2014
You don't need to root the phone to install a new ROM - just:

1. Use ODIN
2. Install custom recovery
3. Dalvik and wipe
4. Flash ROM
5. Enjoy!

maclaw.pl has good instructions and downloads for all the tools including good quality ROMs for i8190N (although NFC may not work) - same model as my phone. I bit the bullet and went custom only last week, happy with Carbon at the moment :)

If you want better instructions with pictures, just google "flash a custom ROM with Odin" or something similar, there are plenty out there.

Thanks man for your answer, really helpful!

I searched for some instructions on Maclaw's website but I didn't find anything... Maybe the instructions are included in the ROM archives? (edit: found the instructions :) )
On many tutorials people were saying that it is needed that the phone is rooted, you sure I can install cm 11 without it? Also, they were talking about some apps like ClockworkMod, is it not needed too? (i don't have any SD card)

Anyway thanks I'll take a more deeper look at that tomorrow

PS: Apologize my english

Last edited:

james.faction

Jan 20, 2014
On many tutorials people were saying that it is needed that the phone is rooted, you sure I can install cm 11 without it? Also, they were talking about some apps like ClockworkMod, is it not needed too? (i don't have any SD card)

Anyway thanks I'll take a more deeper look at that tomorrow

PS: Apologize my english
Just follow Maclaw instructions and you'll be ok. I believe they already include TWRP recovery so you don't need CWM.

Also if you want to say thanks just hit the "Thanks" button on my post ;)

Last edited:

KingGehl

Dec 19, 2013
Maclaw´s rom are pre-rooted, that means you´ll get root-access automatically if you flash them. The gapps include all Google APPS (=Gapps), they´re not included in the rom nativly.

as @james.faction says, flash it like Mac tells you on his site, and you´ll be fine ;)

Greez