Has anyone received Sprint OTA update NE5?

Search This thread

booey24

Dec 21, 2012
South Jersey
Im not talking about downloading the tar and flashing in Odin. Im talking about a stock phone receiving the OTA from Sprint.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

GoldenHind

May 10, 2014
Seattle
Apparently still not yet? 6/24/14

Im not talking about downloading the tar and flashing in Odin. Im talking about a stock phone receiving the OTA from Sprint.

I talked to a couple of Sprint store employees here in Seattle just this afternoon who as yet had not heard of anyone getting it via the OTA stock method. Whereas very close to date ND2 was first announced as released, each of the three stock S5s on which I selected "update now" in settings immediately began that upgrade process, its certainly seems to be a very different situation with this update.
Maybe it wasn't as ready as they'd intended it to be for release on the date they announced (coming up on almost a week ago now)? Doesn't make much sense given that this time Wifi Calling was the only specifically mentioned feature addition. Granted, its a great feature to be getting, but xda devs like sleshepic made that available for us and its been running nicely for weeks now.
:confused:

Reactions: booey24

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
I never got the update ota after checking multiple times a day so being impatient lol I odined the tar.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: booey24

Nyc1231

Apr 1, 2012
New York
Got some type of update. [emoji53]
utyju7u9.jpg

Reactions: GoldenHind

GoldenHind

May 10, 2014
Seattle
New modem?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

What does it say for Baseband Version under About Device in the settings menu? Do you now have a WiFi Calling App and/or settings entry?
(Basically, was this indeed the update we've been looking for?)
Just strictly curious, I of course couldn't wait either and flashed the provided modem using Odin. TIA.

deafboy

Sep 24, 2008
Just downloaded and installed update. Seattle area. Attempting to E-sign the Wifi Calling app 911 TOA but keep getting a network error after a forced automatic reboot directly after installing the update. The interesting thing about setting up the wifi calling app is it opens a self service menu and gives you access to the IOT hidden menus. :)

GoldenHind

May 10, 2014
Seattle
Self service e signature "network error" fix

Just downloaded and installed update. Seattle area. Attempting to E-sign the Wifi Calling app 911 TOA but keep getting a network error after a forced automatic reboot directly after installing the update. The interesting thing about setting up the wifi calling app is it opens a self service menu and gives you access to the IOT hidden menus. :)

I wasn't able to get anywhere past the e signature thing (kept saying network error) until I actually called Sprint and had them add wifi calling as a (free) service on my account. After that, it went through right away.

booey24

Dec 21, 2012
South Jersey
What does it say for Baseband Version under About Device in the settings menu? Do you now have a WiFi Calling App and/or settings entry?
Just strictly curious, I of course couldn't wait either and flashed the provided modem using Odin. TIA.
Baseband Version is now NE5 and yes the wifi calling is with it. This is the OTA we were all talking about.

Reactions: Active_Matrix

Eris _2.1_2010

May 13, 2010
South Bend, IN
I got the update notification last nite but it then said I was running a modified system. I'm running MOAR right now.

mu5a5utu.jpg

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away

deafboy

Sep 24, 2008
I let the phone sit overnight and retried the wifi calling E-sign setup and it went right though without a call to Sprint. The caveat to wifi calling is you must provide a legit street address for every wifi network you add for 911 purposes.

jdsingle76

Jan 19, 2013
I went to settings/system updates just for the heck of it, and had an update waiting(144.29MB). I'm on Boost. Didn't take it so I can catch the Boost/VM tar when it drops to Kies, but thought you all might want to know it's out for Boost too.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

bryanu

Dec 1, 2010
The caveat to wifi calling is you must provide a legit street address for every wifi network you add for 911 purposes.

Which to me is dumb. It should detect with GPS and only require address if it can't.

How's this any different vs. me driving to another city and calling 911 from my cell phone from inside a building?

The call centers, depending what they support either get:
A) Just phone number with the address that reverses to that number.
B) A and GPS cord, if avil. (sadly many emergency centers don't support this)
C) Approx location based on cell tower triangulation (this is actually more rare to happen)
D) no data returned

At best the app should connect and enable to the WiFi network you select and just work and if possible get location via GPS or pop-up saying no location. It can still do 911 based on IP gelocation.

What happens in an emergency when someone wants to call 911, has 0 service, finds a random open host spot, jumps on it and doesn't have time to go playing with this damn app to put in an address just to call 911 that they could tell the Op the location/address and even if it was incorrect call center they could re-route/transfer.

The Airave I understand, they want to make sure you're not trying to use Sprint service in a non-Sprint area or international etc. which is silly given you could now do it with this app as the only thing it cares about as an addy for e911, which for mine I have an incorrect made up location put in and it accepted lmao.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Apparently still not yet? 6/24/14

I talked to a couple of Sprint store employees here in Seattle just this afternoon who as yet had not heard of anyone getting it via the OTA stock method. Whereas very close to date ND2 was first announced as released, each of the three stock S5s on which I selected "update now" in settings immediately began that upgrade process, its certainly seems to be a very different situation with this update.
    Maybe it wasn't as ready as they'd intended it to be for release on the date they announced (coming up on almost a week ago now)? Doesn't make much sense given that this time Wifi Calling was the only specifically mentioned feature addition. Granted, its a great feature to be getting, but xda devs like sleshepic made that available for us and its been running nicely for weeks now.
    :confused:
    I never got the update ota after checking multiple times a day so being impatient lol I odined the tar.

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    utyju7u9.jpg

Baseband Version is now NE5 and yes the wifi calling is with it. This is the OTA we were all talking about.

Off topic but could you please tell me what font that is? :)

Droid font I found a long time ago. I even got some text icons in the same format lol.

4e6u5amy.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yz67zg0mm1t30c/DroidLogo-Regular.ttf

Sent From My Galaxy S5 Far Far Away