8.4.4.5 Kernel source released

Search This thread

plasmastrike

Aug 16, 2008
North ogden
dystopiancode.com
I've had ming for about a week and am liking it more and more each day, this news is todays reason, at least so far .

What about usb mass storage support. I hate using mtps , it hardly has support for windows (one operation at a time) and no support for mac or linux(have to use a third party program)

This probably the only thing I don't like about honeycomb

xfreakx

Jul 19, 2005
India
www.shellcom.info
Awesome news! While i'm not in the know with what's *really* gonna come out of this, I'm confident we're looking at some great developments ahead!

Kudos to Asus for heading in the right direction with this!

baskient80

Mar 23, 2005
Enschede
happy camper!!!!

Our device will be so much better without these legs. I never understand why the great developers here have to finish the rom insteadof the big companies releasing these devices.anyway good luck guys.without you guys i would have been an applefreak years ago.

ari197

Jul 16, 2009
Jakarta
Excuse my ignorance, but what will this kernel source allow developers/hackers to do?

Also, why do manufacturers put these stuff out and then void the warranty on our devices when we actually try to use modified kernels or ROMS?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

manufacturers release the code because they have to, otherwise they violate the copyright.

it will enable the end user to tune everything to their liking. they could even change/modify/add/remove the code itself (as long as they publish the modification).

but power comes with responsibility, the copyright also state that all changes are provided as is. nobody has any obligation to provide support or even take responsibility if we screw up afterward.

deadman3000

May 27, 2006
Just to add one more wish. HDMI working on ALL HDTV's! No idea why it does not work on Panasonic plasma's. It's no biggie but would be nice. Also fix Flash playback issue?

pmnuon

Sep 22, 2007
as deadman states above me, will this help with smoother playback on embedded 720p video?

liorry

Aug 1, 2009
Not to spoil everybody's joy, I'm glad this will allow us to improve video&audio performances and speed the TF up, but any DEV actually working on this?

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
as deadman states above me, will this help with smoother playback on embedded 720p video?

Possibly, but not likely.

In my opinion, the majority of the problem with playback comes from system libraries that are not fully optimized for the NVidia Tegra GPU. These are still closed source (Thanks Google!) and aren't going to be affected by modifications in the kernel.

sassafras

sontin

Jan 17, 2011
Possibly, but not likely.

In my opinion, the majority of the problem with playback comes from system libraries that are not fully optimized for the NVidia Tegra GPU. These are still closed source (Thanks Google!) and aren't going to be affected by modifications in the kernel.

sassafras

But HD-Flash-Playback is smooth on Xoom and GTab 10.1.
That's not a Honeycomb problem.

sassafras_

Aug 18, 2010
But HD-Flash-Playback is smooth on Xoom and GTab 10.1.
That's not a Honeycomb problem.

Exactly. It's not a kernel problem either (probably). The Flash APK requires a module called Stage Video to correctly interpret that the GPU is capable of hardware decoding and then pass that workload to off to the GPU. To my knowledge this is accomplished by an Android library known as Stagefright which is part of the Honeycomb source code, not the kernel.

Unfortunately, this source code isn't going to be built or configured the same on all devices, and sadly it seems either Adobe or Asus have dropped the ball in ensuring this library works correctly on the the Transformer. In short, it's not a problem at the kernel level.

sassafras

Last edited:

ondoy1943

Jun 21, 2011
There's a refresh of the 8.4.4.5 source code dated 4 july 2011. Could be code related to model tf101g which has a built-in 3g modem.

AllTheWay

Retired Senior Moderator
Apr 3, 2007
Folsom, California
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Just to add one more wish. HDMI working on ALL HDTV's! No idea why it does not work on Panasonic plasma's. It's no biggie but would be nice. Also fix Flash playback issue?

I also have this same issue. Works fine on my parents Samsung Plasma and my friend LG plasma and another Sony LCD TV. However my expensive Panasonic Plasma will not work.

Top Liked Posts