[Guide]Samsung Ativ SmartPC Pro XE700T1C MultiBoot Windows/Android(A-IA/X86)/Ubuntu

Search This thread

p0k3y

Mar 25, 2011
Ok, took the plunge. All went well. Thanks for the clear instructions.

Android flies on this tablet. i5 is just so much more powerful than ARM. The only issues that I have run into are apps not working. Any fancy games, like Defense Zone, just won't run. Hope this gets worked on and improved. I see great potential in it.

Update - actually most of the apps that I need are not working, such as Dice Player that I use to play MKV files, or Plex (no video). Even the Google Calendar app doesn't work - keeps asking for an account even though I already associated mine via Play and I don't see "Calendar" as option to sync in settings. Unless these problems are solved, I can't use this on a regular basis. But it's still very cool though. Much better than the emulator available in Windows...

Last edited:
Reactions: salahmed

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012

Android flies on this tablet. i5 is just so much more powerful than ARM. The only issues that I have run into are apps not working. Any fancy games, like Defense Zone, just won't run. Hope this gets worked on and improved. I see great potential in it.

Update - actually most of the apps that I need are not working, such as Dice Player that I use to play MKV files, or Plex (no video). Even the Google Calendar app doesn't work - keeps asking for an account even though I already associated mine via Play and I don't see "Calendar" as option to sync in settings. Unless these problems are solved, I can't use this on a regular basis. But it's still very cool though. Much better than the emulator available in Windows...

x86 vs arm. Most of those apps you mention use native code so are actually ARM only. You would have to request to the developers to add an x86 build.

p0k3y

Mar 25, 2011
x86 vs arm. Most of those apps you mention use native code so are actually ARM only. You would have to request to the developers to add an x86 build.

Yeah, so that basically means it will be a long while before Android is truly viable on the X86 platform. I would think most ppl who want to run Android on X86 are looking for more apps. But if most apps don't work, then it's no better off than the Windows app store. A little disappointing, but totally understandable.

By the same token, wouldn't the 500T which runs on Atom (ARM?) be more compatible theoretically? Why is it that dual booting to android is not even possible to do there?

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad

For playing videos... I use MX player... and it have x86 codec ...
At the beginning I was so frustrated but I backed up my apps on the phone and transfer them and found some of them was compatible even it was not showing in the play store...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: aadean22 and p0k3y

p0k3y

Mar 25, 2011
For playing videos... I use MX player... and it have x86 codec ...
At the beginning I was so frustrated but I backed up my apps on the phone and transfer them and found some of them was compatible even it was not showing in the play store...

Thanks. I will give MX Player a try. Did you get Google Calendar to work?

Thanks. I will give MX Player a try. Did you get Google Calendar to work?

Should try apps one by one. Some works, some does not. This is an experimental and on going project and not completed yet...

For all interested;
I installed on my xe700t1c h02. It is really working with some exceptions which was mentioned on the 1st post. I installed because it was worth to try. I liked it.
If you want to remove, you have to reinstall your windows from your recovery with your back up and combine your divided partition. Because android installation divides your sdd in 2seperated partition and you can not combine it without formatting which meaning removing your existing windows.
So make a full back up, create usb boot and install.

There is another way of installing android to our windows machine. It is an emulator. I did not try but they say it is perfect. Here is the link. http://www.socketeq.com/

Reactions: p0k3y

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, so that basically means it will be a long while before Android is truly viable on the X86 platform. I would think most ppl who want to run Android on X86 are looking for more apps. But if most apps don't work, then it's no better off than the Windows app store. A little disappointing, but totally understandable.

By the same token, wouldn't the 500T which runs on Atom (ARM?) be more compatible theoretically? Why is it that dual booting to android is not even possible to do there?

Atom is also x86. In the case of the 500T its a clovertrail atom chip, which for some reason has had its UEFI module locked to windows 8 and as a result will only boot into windows 8, it just refuses everything else. The previous generation of atom chips and the next generation which are on the way do not have this limitation.

There is a 2nd variant of the clovertrail (and a 3rd too actually) which does the opposite. Its locked to android. But the android devices which are sold with clovertrail CPU's have a modded version of android which has an ARM emulator. ARM emulation is kinda slow but its better than the situation your in right now with not all apps working, its not 100% compatible either but still, better than not compatible at all. In the event that an app does have an x86 variant, this modded copy of android will run the x86 version for max performance as you would expect (although being atom its not on the same level as your core i5 systems). The samsung galaxy tab 3 is using one, motorola and ZTE also have clovertrail phones out.

Does mean though that if you bypassed the UEFI limitation, you could probably port a ROM from the galaxy tab 3 or something which does include the ARM emulator and run that on the 500t, there are a few other difference between the clovertrail variants than the UEFI thing but they should be more easily worked around.

I have seen discussions about bypassing the lockdown on windows clovertrail tablets, someone did make some progress towards getting it to boot linux I think but for some reason it just kernel panicked shortly after booting, there may be more to the lockdown than UEFI, or UEFI might not have been fully bypassed.

There is a bit of an increase in x86 devices sold now. So hopefully in future more developers who make use of native code will be supporting x86.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

If you want to remove, you have to reinstall your windows from your recovery with your back up and combine your divided partition. Because android installation divides your sdd in 2seperated partition and you can not combine it without formatting which meaning removing your existing windows.

There is another way of installing android to our windows machine. It is an emulator. I did not try but they say it is perfect. Here is the link. http://www.socketeq.com/

Wrong. You can remove the android partition and then expand an already formatted partition WITHOUT FORMATTING AGAIN to restore windows. But it is easy to go wrong.

There are actually quite a few android "emulators" out there, but emulator is not actually the correct term. They actually just port the dalvik virtual machine and standard library to run on windows instead of linux. Android in a pinch is just the dalvik virtual machine running on linux, there isn't a whole lot more to it than that, its only the NDK which gets complicated in that regard (which consequently is where alot of these android "emulators" trip up)

Last edited:

p0k3y

Mar 25, 2011
There are actually quite a few android "emulators" out there, but emulator is not actually the correct term. They actually just port the dalvik virtual machine and standard library to run on windows instead of linux. Android in a pinch is just the dalvik virtual machine running on linux, there isn't a whole lot more to it than that, its only the NDK which gets complicated in that regard (which consequently is where alot of these android "emulators" trip up)

I tried Windroy. It looks very good. The biggest problem off the bat is that it doesn't support the touch functions on the 700T correctly. Otherwise it could be more useful than dual booting. Do you know of any other emulators that are better? I tried Bluestack before but that was pretty weak.

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
I tried Windroy. It looks very good. The biggest problem off the bat is that it doesn't support the touch functions on the 700T correctly. Otherwise it could be more useful than dual booting. Do you know of any other emulators that are better? I tried Bluestack before but that was pretty weak.

Sadly no. There is jar of beans, but I havent tried it.

Bluestacks does now have a version aimed specifically at windows tablets (they call it the surface pro version but its the same thing). But its actual performance is buggier

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad
Wrong. You can remove the android partition and then expand an already formatted partition WITHOUT FORMATTING AGAIN to restore windows. But it is easy to go wrong.
yes that's right especially if the partitions like the screenshot in the attachment... BTW thanks for the useful information ...
I tried 3 emulators and they are very laggy and never get the touch or the Pen working right ...

Edit:
XE700T1C-A01US Added to the first post ...

Last edited:

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad
No offence, but this is pretty much a copy of my tutorial on using Android-IA...

No... You are welcome to give your opinion...
The information in both tutorial is a copy of that found in Android in Intel Architecture official site... Except for modifications specific to each PC... Like I don't need USB keyboard and USB hub because I have 3 USB ports... And I use a different image for installation...
I opened this thread for many reasons:
1- The XE700T1C is not officially supported like your tablet PC and Intel don't build for this PC... Only for XE700T which is a whole different PC... so I take the risk for installing this project on my PC and searched the web for days to see if someone install it before, so I may not for some how lose my PC which costs me (1200$)...

2- if I didn't open this thread... I and other XE700T1C owners will flood your thread with info and questions that may be you don't have answers for it... like the recovery image which believe me I searched for hours until I found it because I was testing so many things and I lost the recovery and was obligated to download about 4.6 gigabyte to get my PC back...

3- if this thread does not exist... Then I should provide information in your thread and ask you to reconstruct the thread and change its name and every time I have new information I should ask you to add it to the OP...

4- The thread opened for long time to be noticed by the moderators and if they have any concerns about it then they would told me or merge the two threads or close mine...

I don't need thanks and never ask for them, I have a busy life but I steal some time to share and participate with the little info I learn...
Again Thanks for sharing your opinion here and you are welcome...

SixSixSevenSeven

Dec 26, 2012
1- The XE700T1C is not officially supported like your tablet PC and Intel don't build for this PC... Only for XE700T which is a whole different PC...

Info I have found online suggests that the 1C etc simply represents the region the device was sold in and whether or not it included the keyboard or not, otherwise it is the same device.

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad
OK of we wanna talk about all the variants then we should have to discuss for long time as everyone knows how Samsung do these things when it produce so many variants in a way that itself not recognize them well... I read a long discussion just to clarify the differences between XE700T1C-A01 and XE700T1C-A02 and XE700T1C-A03 and XE700T1C-A04 regardless the what region they are like I have XE700T1C-A01AE and p0k3y have XE700T1C-A01US ... And at that time all these was WiFi only and how Samsung put the a cover for empty slot for Sim card but they didn't release a 3G or 4G ... But they did that after a while and they raise the price to about 1550$ ... And now there are more and more variants... And if you wanna search more you will find Samsung itself put wrong information about these and mislead the customers... I stopped searching about this to get some mind peace and to enjoy what I have and never get angry because of Samsung...

madsquabbles

Jan 31, 2009
Info I have found online suggests that the 1C etc simply represents the region the device was sold in and whether or not it included the keyboard or not, otherwise it is the same device.

basically speaking they're the same, but it's an older model of the ativ, back when it was called a slate 7.

i don't think this thread needs to be deleted. there are differing steps between the devices and merging the two would cause confusion when someone has a question. since thatgrass has updated his post to include the ativ pro problems will arise since he doesn't specify images and instructions on how to accomplish what salamed explains in this tutorial.

Last edited:

p0k3y

Mar 25, 2011
I, for one, want to thank BOTH salahmed and Thatgrass for figuring this out and sharing the instructions with others. It's always more re-assuring to know that your specific variant will be compatible before taking the plunge and risk breaking an expensive device. I hope both of you will continue to work on this and make it better. Thank you!

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad
These are the devices mentioned in the official web site of A-IA
Mobile screenshot :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1377889562944.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1377889562944.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 491

danih

Mar 28, 2010
Great stuff, do you think it will be even easier with Bay Trail, which got Intel's support for Android?

salahmed

Aug 2, 2011
Baghdad
Great stuff, do you think it will be even easier with Bay Trail, which got Intel's support for Android?

I read in the news that one of the Chinese manufacturer will release soon dual boot tab (windows 8.1 and android) with Intel bay trail CPU... I think this CPU is a good balance between performance and battery life. It is more powerful than Atom and a little more battery consumption...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Screenshot_2014-05-05-16-47-14_zpsi7qwc8k9.png

ANDROID ON INTEL ARCHITECTURE
    About
    Project summary
    Android on Intel® Architecture (Android-IA) is an open source project based on the*Android Open Source Project*(AOSP). Intel is a contributor to the AOSP and provides code for enabling Android on Intel Architecture platforms. (read more: About A-IA )

this is a thread for installing, exploring, discussing dual boot Win 8-8.1 and Android for XE700T1C, and I have XE700T1C-A01AE which is one of many variants of XE700T1C, in the official site of A-IA only XE700T ( for installation see These instructions )is supported which is a whole different model, the XE700T1C comes with a keyboard dock that transfer it to laptop style, so the installation will be much easier because we don't need USB hub and USB keuboard.

I tried this on my own risk on both Windows 8 and 8.1 preview. so by doing so you accept any risk from this procedure ... be patient and read carefully before you start

Update: XE700T1C-A01US confirmed working ... Thanks to p0k3y

Update: Also See another great guide by @Adrian DC
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=57941649&postcount=134[/COLOR]

Before you Start ...

It is highly recommended that you download and install the latest BIOS firmware from Samsung while you still have windows on the device. The installer requires windows to run, and recent versions provide significant improvements.
    Full Back up your PC using the Samsung recovery ( if it is pre installed ) or any back up program. And you should create recovery USB drive

HOW TO MAKE RECOVERY USB DRIVE: ------>>> Microsoft Windows 8 Support

What you need ...

1- USB thumb drive 1 Gb at least.
    2- Download the latest build for Samsung XE700T installer from A-IA site ( https://01.org/android-ia/downloads )
    3- Download "Image Writer for Windows" from https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/
    4- A space on your PC for Android (more details in the installation)

Preparing the USB thumb drive

1- Back up the content in the USB drive because it will be erased ...
    2- Extract Samsung XE700T installer
    3- Extract windows image writer tool and run Win32DiskImager.exe
    4- Browse for the image you extracted from the Samsung XE700T installer
    5- Select your USB drive letter and hit "Write"
    6- Done

Installing .....

1- Restart your PC with the USB drive inserted and as soon as it start press "F2" or you can follow the other way which is:
    A- swipe from right and enter settings from the charm bar and choose "change PC settings
    B- go to general and scroll down to advance start up and press restart now
    C- after restart choose "Troubleshoot"
    D- then "Advance options"
    E- then "UEFI firmware"
    F- then "Settings"
    2- After going into settings ... go to " Boot " and set " Secure boot to OFF "
    3- Then from the first option select Boot device priority and put your USB in the first place.
    4- Choose "Save"
    5- After restart the installer begin you will get five options. select run interactive installer
    6- It will ask you " do you want to reserve windows and dual boot " Type: Y
    7- Then " Do you want to resize windows to make more space " Type: Y
    8- You will be asked " Enter the size in Mib for Windows " and the installer calculate the minimum and maximum size and it recommends the maximum size ... if you choose that value you will get about 350 MiB internal memory for android and it is too small if you want to install large apps. so the trick is to subtract the amount you need from the maximum value for ex: if you have 116000 Mib maximum then if you type 110000 you will have a 6000 MiB for the internal memory for Android.
    9- After that you will be asked " Install GummiBoot bootloader " Type: Y
    10- Then set the boot menu timeout ...
    11- After the installation is completed remove your USB drive and press any key to restart.
    12- Done.

Note:
    1- When the PC start you got options, use down key or volume down to navigate. up key or volume up key to select.
    2- After the first boot of windows you may be asked to do disc check...

Things you may need in Android:

Google services framework and Google Play store. Download and extract (Zip in the attachment)

And this how to install it

After connecting to Wi-Fi, open the browser and download a file manager with root capability for ex: search for ES File manager, download, install, open the file manager and then root explorer then Mount R/W and set all the options to RW.
    copy Google services and play store to: system/app ... then change their permission to rw- r-- r--
    Exit the file manager and pull the quick setting toggles area from the upper right corner and select power off " this is how to turn off Android "
    Turn on the PC again and enter android and open play store and enter your user name and password .... because adding account from setting will not work and force close it...
    In play store there are many apps that set to be not compatible but it may work and if I remember for example angry birds space free is working fine after I transfer and install it. so you can try...

Another thing you must try ... Is the Xposed framework by @rovo89 thanks to him for x86 support...
    Link to original post ...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
    Xposed installer 2.3.1 in the attachments... And scrennshots in the second post ...

Known Bugs:

1- Auto brightness is working by default even if disabled
    2- If you want to use the on screen keyboard you have to disable the hardware keyboard after each reboot.(shortcut found in the notification area)
    3- Battery left percentage is ok at start up ... but then it is not updating ...
    4- Tell me to add if i forget something
    Android-x86 for the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro XE700T1C

My goal here is to help you achieve a fully working multiboot between Windows / Android / else (Ubuntu ?)
    on your Samsung XE700T1C, using a method normally compatible for everyone.

I'll be using Windows to start and then Ubuntu for the changes and transfers.
    Do not worry, you do not need to have Ubuntu installed.​

Informations :
    • If you have a doubt or a problem, please do ask before masking a mistake...
    • Instead on F2, if the keyboard is unplugged, hold the "Windows" button on startup
    • As of today, day of writing 04/05/2015, the latest Android-x86 release is Android 4.4 r2
    • My 4GB value is not an obligation, adapt it to how much you need / want for Android

Needed for the installation :
    1. Android-x86 ROM (Latest img file) : http://www.android-x86.org/download
    2. Download Win32DiskImager : http://win32diskimager.sourceforge.net/
    3. Empty 1GB (or more) USB flash drive
    4. Empty 4GB (or more) USB flash drive
    5. Ubuntu installed or a 2GB (or more) USB Live Ubuntu (detailed below)

Prepare the installation with a 1GB USB :
    1. Make sure the drive is empty
    2. Run Win32DiskImager
    3. Browse for the .img file under "Image File"
    4. Choose the corresponding Device (E: for example)
    5. Write, and wait until done

Prepare the Ubuntu Live USB if you do not have one :
    1. Download the Ubuntu iso (14.10 64Bits recommended) : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    2. Download Rufus : https://rufus.akeo.ie/
    3. Choose your empty 2GB (or more) USB drive
    4. Then "GPT for UEFI", FAT32, Default, "Ubuntu USB", ...
    5. Next to "ISO Image", browse for your downloaded .iso file
    6. Start, Yes, OK, wait until it's finished
    7. We will boot on it later, unplug the USB drive

Prepare the SSD and USB destinations :
    • Prepare the 4GB (or more) USB flash drive :
      1. Use a partition software like EaseUS Partition Master or GParted
      2. Resize the probably already present FAT32 partition to leave 4GB free
      3. Create a new 4GB ext-2 partition named "Android-USB"
      4. Apply the changes to the drive

• For the SSD, do not randomly change things
    • If you have doubts, please ask before you delete something by mistake

• Prepare the SSD for the Android partition :
      1. Use a partition software like EaseUS Partition Master or GParted
      2. Resize one of the partitions with a lot of free space (a data partition would be safer)
      3. The empty space has to be as big or larger than the USB ext-2 partition (4GB here)
      4. Apply the changes to the drive

Prepare the BIOS Configuration :
    1. Reboot the computer with both USB drives connected
    2. During the boot (Samsung Logo), maintain F2 pressed
    3. In the Samsung BIOS Configuration, go to "Boot"
    4. Set "Secure Boot" to Off
    5. Set OS Mode Selection to "CSM and UEFI OS"
    6. In "Advanced", set "Fast BIOS Mode" to Off
    7. Press "Save", and "Yes"
    8. While rebooting, maintain F2 again

Install Android-x86 to the 1GB USB flash drive :
    1. In Samsung BIOS Configuration (F2), go to "Boot to Device"
    2. Choose one of the last entries named like "UEFI: Generic USB"
    3. Select the Android Installer option
    4. Choose CAREFULLY the USB partition you created ("Android-USB")
    5. Accept (if you're sure of having selected the correct partition) formating to ext-2
    6. Deny installing a bootloader
    7. Accept the Read/Write option for the /system
    8. At the end of the installation, reboot and remove the USB flash drives.

Use Ubuntu to migrate Android to the SSD :
    • Start using Ubuntu :
      1. Plug in the Ubuntu Live USB drive and the USB flash drive where Android is installed
      2. In Samsung BIOS Configuration (F2), go to "Boot to Device"
      3. Select the UEFI: Ubuntu USB drive you created before (or boot to Ubuntu)
      4. Start Ubuntu in Live mode (Try...)
      5. In order to search for an application, press the Windows key and search with the name

• Copy the Android partition from the USB drive to the SSD :
      1. Launch the GParted application (or in Terminal, "gparted")
      2. If you can't find it or it isn't installed, read this : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/gparted
      3. You can select the SSD or the USB drive in the top right selector
      4. Right clic the "Android-USB" partition, if available "Unmount" it
      5. Copy the "Android-USB" partition to the empty SSD space, resize if needed.
        For that, right clic on the "Android-USB" partition, "Copy", right click on the empty space
        from the SSD, "Paste", adapt and accept the Resizing Popup if needed
      6. Apply the changes
      7. Rename the partition "Android" (Right clic, "Label")
      8. Apply the changes to the drive
      9. Just look what number your "EFI" partition has (around 100MB, probably sda2)
      10. Exit GParted when done
      11. Unplug the Android USB drive

• Prepare the Android SSD partition contents :
      1. Launch the Nautilus application
      2. On the left, open the newly created Android partition
      3. Close Nautilus
      4. Launch the Terminal application
      5. Execute the "sudo nautilus" command
      6. On the left, open the Android partition
      7. Rename the "android-X.X-rX" folder to "android"
      8. Launch the GEdit application
      9. Save an empty file named "android.id" in the Android partition's root
        This file will help identifying the partition and simplify your life
      10. If you cannot save the file from the previous step,
        do it by launch GEdit with "sudo gedit"

• Mount the UEFI partition in order to edit it :
      1. This step should not be needed if you're using Ubuntu installed on the SSD,
        to make sure, check in Nautilus if "Computer/boot/efi/" is accessible
      2. Launch the Terminal application
      3. Execute the following commands one after the other :
        1. "sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt"
        2. "sudo mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi"
        3. "sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot/efi"
          sda2 may have to be adapted depending
          on what you earlier saw for the EFI partition
        4. "sudo apt-get install efibootmgr"
        5. If requested, accept the installation with Y/O/... and Enter
        6. "sudo efibootmgr"
        7. If you do not have a full list of your booting options,
          please stop here and post a question to fix the issue
      4. Launch the Nautilus application, make sure "Computer/boot/efi" is accessible
        and contains for example a "EFI" folder with a "Microsoft" folder into it.
        Otherwise, please ask for help and delay your installation to an other time.

• Install the EFI files for the Android bootloader :
      1. Launch the Terminal application
      2. From a Live USB Ubuntu : Execute the "sudo nautilus /mnt/boot/efi/" command
        From an SSD installed Ubuntu : Execute the "sudo nautilus /boot/efi/" command
      3. Paste the "Android" folder of the .zip attached to the post in the .../efi/EFI/ folder
      4. This UEFI bootloader is based on the one provided by Android-x86 on the installation drive

• Add the new UEFI values to your computer to boot Android :
      1. Launch an other Terminal
      2. On this screenshot, you can see the commands I use, you won't have the Ubuntu one :
      3. Adapt the following commands to what you need :
        • "sudo efibootmgr -v" : Complete list of the UEFI elements
        • "sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -L "Android 4.4" -l /EFI/Android/bootx64.efi" :
          Creates an entry 0001, named, path to the new UEFI, on the SSD, with EFI on second partition
        • "sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -B" : If a mistake is done, removes the entry 0001
        • "sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,0001" : Sets the boot order to 0000 (Windows ?) and 0001 (Android ?)
      4. Turn off the computer (top right on Ubuntu)

Boot to Android, configure and start using it :
    1. Remove all unnecessary USB drives from the computer
    2. In Samsung BIOS Configuration (F2), go to "Boot to Device"
    3. Choose the "Android 4.4" entry (see below for an example of my choices)
    4. Android-x86 will appear, press Enter or wait 2 seconds (see the grub.cfg from my UEFI)
    5. Done, your Android is booting nicely normally

Important things about Android on the XE700T1C :
    1. Press the Power button 2 times quickly to access the Power Menu
    2. Brightness doesn't work manually for the moment so you can use the Night Mode application
    3. Rotation works but can be annoying sometimes, use the Set Orientation application
    4. I advice using Titanium Backup to backup and remove apps
    5. The language always reverts back to English, so using an application like "Root Explorer" (black icon),
      go to the /system/build.prop file, remove the two lines ending with EN and US and save the file.
      Set your language in the Android settings, reboot, your language should be remembered now.

My update process when a new version is released :
    1. Instead of doing everything new, you can update the Android system
    2. Repeat the installation to USB process with the new img
    3. In Ubuntu, open both Android SSD and Android USB partitions
    4. Using a terminal, run "sudo nautilus", and delete everything except /data/in the "android" folder on the Android SSD partition
    5. Using the terminal, locate both locations (ls /media/USERNAME/, ls /media/USERNAME/Android-USB and ...SSD for example)
    6. Run the following command (adapt it before) : "sudo cp -rp /....USB/android-4.4-r2/* /......SSD/android/"

The result on my Samsung XE700T1C :
    • My boot options, accessible with F2 / Boot to Device or F10 :

• My "not so many" partitions :

Known issues on the Samsung XE700T1C :
    1. Brightness doesn't work manually, you can use an application like "Night Mode" (Fix : See http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=68227221&postcount=242)
    2. GPS Module isn't working for me
    3. No other "major" issues I known of

Hope I did help some of you !

Ubuntu for the Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro XE700T1C

Some hints if you want to install Ubuntu :
    • Create some free space from Windows using EASEUS Partition Master for example
    • During the installation from a USB drive, choose the "Advanced" manual installation
    • Use an ext-4 partition for the "/" mount and for example a 512Mo swap partition.
    • Choose to install the GRUB bootloader in the same partition as "/"
    • Adapt the following commands to what you need :
      • "sudo efibootmgr -b 0002 -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -L "Ubuntu 14.10" -l /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi" :
        Creates an entry 0001, named, path to the new UEFI, on the SSD, with EFI on second partition
      • "sudo efibootmgr -b 0002 -B" : If a mistake is done, removes the entry 0002
      • "sudo efibootmgr -o 0000,0002,0001" : Sets the boot order to 0000 (Windows ?), 0001 (Android ?) and 0002

About my rEFInd MultiBoot for a clean and nice boot selector :

• attachment.php
    • I use rEFInd for the boot selection on startup, with a 5 seconds timeout for an automatic boot of the last one used,
      configured with clean icons, minimum layout items, using the Windows / Ubuntu / Android EFIs.
    • If you want to use my reconfigured rEFInd MultiBoot files
      (see the refind.conf for further configuration and if you need to adapt the menuentries I am using)
      • "sudo efibootmgr -b 0003 -c -d /dev/sda -p 2 -L "Multiboot" -l /EFI/refind/refind_x64.efi" (Adapt if needed)
      • "sudo efibootmgr -o 0003,0000,...." : Reorder the entries to your OS values.
      Special thanks and credits to Roderick W. Smith for rEFInd.

About Android using the Ubuntu GRUB Bootloader :
    • If you prefer having GRUB as a default bootloader instead of separate UEFI bootloaders,
      you can add a new line to your GRUB settings equivalent to my menuentry in the zip.
    • For a safe edition of the GRUB bootloader, I recommend using GRUB Customizer.
    • In the Terminal application, run the following commands :
      1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
      2. sudo apt-get update
      3. sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
      4. sudo grub-customizer
    • In GRUB Customizer, you can add a new entry with (then save) :
      search --file --no-floppy --set=root /android.id
      linux /android/kernel quiet androidboot.hardware=android_x86 SRC=/android
      initrd /android/initrd.img

Atom is also x86. In the case of the 500T its a clovertrail atom chip, which for some reason has had its UEFI module locked to windows 8 and as a result will only boot into windows 8, it just refuses everything else. The previous generation of atom chips and the next generation which are on the way do not have this limitation.

There is a 2nd variant of the clovertrail (and a 3rd too actually) which does the opposite. Its locked to android. But the android devices which are sold with clovertrail CPU's have a modded version of android which has an ARM emulator. ARM emulation is kinda slow but its better than the situation your in right now with not all apps working, its not 100% compatible either but still, better than not compatible at all. In the event that an app does have an x86 variant, this modded copy of android will run the x86 version for max performance as you would expect (although being atom its not on the same level as your core i5 systems). The samsung galaxy tab 3 is using one, motorola and ZTE also have clovertrail phones out.

Does mean though that if you bypassed the UEFI limitation, you could probably port a ROM from the galaxy tab 3 or something which does include the ARM emulator and run that on the 500t, there are a few other difference between the clovertrail variants than the UEFI thing but they should be more easily worked around.

I have seen discussions about bypassing the lockdown on windows clovertrail tablets, someone did make some progress towards getting it to boot linux I think but for some reason it just kernel panicked shortly after booting, there may be more to the lockdown than UEFI, or UEFI might not have been fully bypassed.

There is a bit of an increase in x86 devices sold now. So hopefully in future more developers who make use of native code will be supporting x86.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Hi!

I just wanted to tell you how you can change the brightness without the shell script UbuntuBrightness.sh.
    Add "video.use_native_backlight=0" to the kernel comman line,
    Like this;
    Code:
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet video.use_native_backlight=0"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
    in your /etc/default/grub file and rebuild your grug configuration with
    Code:
    grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

Have fun using the brightness control of your desktop environment :)

PS: I use Fedora Linux, so change the path to the config file as needed :)
    This looks very cool and I want to try it on my XE700T. But don't want to screw it up and brick the thing. Has anyone else tried it successfully? Also, will this affect the ability to apply Samsung updates or Windows upgrades later?

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

So did you install it? Don't care for it? If so, what don't you like?

@p0k3y ... if you have XE700T ... not the XE700T1C then follow these instructions from A-IA site:

Android on Intel ArchitectureSamsung XE700T
    The Samsung XE700T Slate is a PC-compatible SandyBridge platform with touch-screen, USB host port, world facing camera, and Wi-Fi. The device also includes orientation and acceleration sensors, but they are non-functional in Android-IA due to the fact that they communicate using a proprietary protocol.

BIOS Update

It is highly recommended that you download and install the latest BIOS firmware from Samsung while you still have windows on the device. The installer requires windows to run, and recent versions provide significant improvements.

Setting the device to boot from USB thumb drive:
    1.Grab an USB keyboard and plug it into a device USB port
    2.Power on the device
    3.After the power led is on, press the Home button and keep it pressed until the BIOS screen appears
    4.Go to Boot menu using right/left arrow keys
    5.Select Boot Device Priority using the Enter key
    6.Go to USB KEY and press F6 until it becomes the top-most list item
    7.Exit the Boot menu using the ESC key
    8.Go to the Exit menu and select Save Changes and Reset using Enter
    9.Power off the device and then power it on again
    10.After the power led is on, press the Home button and keep it pressed until the BIOS screen appears (we need to enter the BIOS again to check the Legacy USB Support, sometimes it is disabled, after the first change in the BIOS)
    11.Go to the Advanced menu using the right/left arrows
    12.If the UEFI Boot Support is Disabled, change it to Enabled
    13.Exit BIOS with Save Changes and Reset, as described above
    14.Power off the device
    15.Unplug the USB keyboard

Samsung XE700T Machine Check Error

Several users ran into a situation (when experimenting with a different kernel) that the machine would just get a "Machine Check Error" when trying to boot, either with or without the USB stick. This occurred after booting from the USB stick both with and without install-to-disk. Recovery procedure:
    1.Power-on the machine while holding down the upper volume button on the left-hand side. This goes into the the Windows Boot Manager as in the "Gotcha" section above.
    2.Let it go ahead and attempt to boot. This fails, however the failure mode is different because it is now trying to boot off of hard-disk, and gets a "Boot error" in the upper-left corner of the screen, instead of "machine check error".
    3.Reset the system and power-on while holding the "windows" button at middle-bottom. This enters BIOS setup screen.
    4.Re-enable "legacy USB", if needed.
    5.Change boot-order to boot from the USB-stick first, hard-disk second.
    6.Reboot from the USB stick.
    7.Re-install a working OS to hard-disk.

Samsung XE700T touchscreen anomalies

Occasional users find that the touchscreen is not working with a Samsung device. This can be caused by some unknown compatibility issues with some USB hubs. If you run into this, a workaround is to unplug all USB device including the hub and just plug in the keyboard directly. Similar issues have been seen with oddball USB network adapters.

Samsung XE700T Restore Procedure

As mentioned in the Quick Start, it is important to back up any user data on the device before erasing it and over-writing it with Android. In addition, it is important to retain the original OS installation media, in case you want to restore the originally installed OS. These are referenced in the following restoration procedure.

To restore the Samsung XE700T to its factory default state you will need the following items:
    •USB hub with at least three ports available
    •USB keyboard
    •USB mouse
    •Samsung System Recovery Media (shipped with your slate PC)
    •Samsung System Software Media (shipped with your slate PC)
    •If restoring directly from a DVD ◦USB DVD-ROM Optical Drive (if restoring directly from DVD)

•If restoring from USB thumb drive ◦DVD-ROM Optical Drive on a separate PC (instructions provided for Windows and Ubuntu)
    ◦USB thumb drive -- 8GB or larger

System Recovery Media Prep -- USB thumb drive (Ubuntu Linux)

1.Install gettext (sudo apt-get install gettext).
    2.Install gparted (sudo apt-get install gparted), it's a GUI tool that we'll use to format the thumb drive.
    3.Download the latest stable version of ms-sys from http://ms-sys.sourceforge.net/#Download
    4.Unpack the ms-sys***.tar.gz, cd to it in the terminal, then execute the following commands:
    5.make
    6.sudo make install
    7.Launch gparted, select your thumb drive in the upper right corner.
    8.Delete all partitions on the thumb drive, if any are present.
    9.Go to Device -> Create Partition Table , in the dialog that appears click "Advanced" and select ms-dos partition table.
    10.Go to Partition -> New and select NTFS, select all available drive space.
    11.After the formatting is over, go to Partition -> Manage flags and check the "boot" flag.
    12.Copy all files and folders from the Samsung recovery DVD to the thumb drive.
    13.Open your terminal and create Win 7 MBR by executing the following command(replace /dev/sdX with your thumb drive's path):
    14.ms-sys -7 /dev/sdX

System Recovery Media Prep -- USB thumb drive (Windows)

Note: These steps are not necessary if you plan to use a USB optical drive and the System Recovery Media DVD for the restore.
    1.If necessary, download and install a program that will rip DVD discs to an ISO file. We use LC ISOCreator, which can be found at http://lc-iso-creator.en.softonic.com/.
    2.If necessary, download and install a program that will burn ISO images to the thumb drive. We use the tool at http://www.isotousb.com/.
    3.Format your thumb drive with a FAT32 file system.
    4.Rip the Samsung Recovery Media DVD into an ISO file with ISOCreator.
    5.Burn the Samsung Recovery Media ISO onto the thumb drive with isotousb.

Restore Steps
    1.Power down the XE700T.
    2.Connect the USB hub to the USB port on the XE700T.
    3.Connect the keyboard, mouse, and recovery media (using either an optical drive or a USB thumb drive) to the USB hub.
    4.Insert the System Recovery Media DVD into the optical drive if using the optical drive.
    5.Hold down the center button (Windows key) and power on the device. Continue holding the Windows button until the BIOS setup screen appears.
    6.Hold down the rotate button (right edge of tablet below the power button) until the Advanced section of the BIOS UI is highlighted.
    7.Select 'Legacy USB Support' and make sure it is set to 'Enabled.'
    8.Hold down the rotate button and use the volume up or volume down buttons until the Boot section of the BIOS UI is highlighted.
    9.Select 'Boot Device Priority', making changes so that the recovery media (DVD drive or thumb drive) is the primary boot device.
    10.Make sure that the UEFI Boot option in the BIOS is also set to 'Enabled.'
    11.Press the Windows key once, and then hold down the rotate button and use the volume up or volume down buttons, until the Exit section of the BIOS UI is highlighted and then select 'Save Changes and Reset.' The XE700T should now boot off of the recovery media and the Windows installer should start.
    12.Select your language and go through the setup process, until it asks you for the type of install. Select 'Custom' and then delete all existing partitions.
    13.Select the available disk space after deleting all of the partitions as the install location for Windows.
    14.At this point, the Windows installation should proceed.
    15.(Optional) Install the Samsung System Software packages from DVD-ROM or USB key by connecting your media and running SecSWMgrGuide.exe from the media and following the prompts.

Samsung XE700T Gotcha!

Take care, when powering-up the unit, that you don't accidentally press the Volume-Up button (for example, if grip the tablet with your left hand) at the same time as you press the Power button, or the unit will go into "Samsung Recovery Mode" (that is, to the Windows Boot Manager, which is looking for the Windows installation disc). After that, the unit will never boot Android, instead displaying the words "Boot error" in the upper-left corner of the screen. (You will need to install Android again.)

This problem will probably not be observed in images downloaded and built since 5/24/2012, when a patch fixing this issue was integrated.

as I mentioned in the OP the XE700T is officially supported ... link to the site https://01.org/android-ia/documentation/samsung-xe700t
    @bdroid ... use a recovery USB to roll back to windows only...

if you accidently lost recovery ... here is the link for XE700T1C-A01US reocovery image zip ... just unzip it to USB then boot using it and follow the onscreen instructions...
    BTW this Recovery zip is not mine ... but I tried it and it is 100% working ...
    https://mega.co.nz/#!0FYGCA5T!YoITKE30U5l-O0UQGnJIslhx1f4uYiAKFbqnrB1FcbA
    credit to (peterf) from another forum...