DISCONTINUED - [ROM][25-feb-11][v1.3] Dexter's Froyo 2.2.1 for XT720

Search This thread

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
so here is the new edition with uk kernel, basically pretty much the same as before with correct sensor drivers now.

Changelog v1.3 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here or mirror

- xavwanted's libOMX and MediaGallery.apk which seems to fix HD recording and playback
- Riley600's interactive governor fix
- callwaiting fix
- kousik's mount-o typo fix
- Mioze7Ae move /oc to /system/oc
- bootanim by helmi666
- Email.apk replacement

Changelog v1.2b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here

- fixes problems with callwaiting functionality.

Changelog v1.2a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here

- 720P recording fix
- re-added old MediaGallery as Camera app requires it.
- there can be possible hickups with mediascanning (so you know)
If you do see many FC's its a symptom of not having done factory reset, so this should indicate whether you need to do it or not.

Changelog v1.2 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here
- fixed mediascanner issue
- removed old mediagallery (not supported) , now only Gallery3D available.
- removed VoiceCommands app, cpu intensive and taking much storage.
Note, due to the bug in mediascanner and decoding and on top ext2sd support, quadrant benchmarks drastically drops when ext2 is enabled, if the sdcard is not a class6 or higher.. but media decoding bug alone caused incorrect reportings, so dont be surprised when you test now.
Its a full nandroid for new and existing users. if you're using 1.1+ you do not need to WIPE settings, just restore nandroid and reboot, signatures will be recalculated and bootup takes maybe little more, but it works fine.

Patch update Changelog v1.1b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here
- HDMI added to settings menu, let me know how it works (not tested)
- different proximity sensor module (tested with z-devicetester seems better)
- facebook fix still included.
- Support for loading overclock module at startup.
- apps2ext partition support , will mount at startup if a 2nd partition is found.
its not advanced, so you need ext2/ext3 partition for now.
NOTE: Patches goes into /OpenRecovery/updates and is applied in openrecovery menu "apply update".​

Changelog v1.1a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid v1.1a link
- Based on 2.2.1 milestone framework leak
- Sync facebook is working
- Lockscreen is new (Blur like)
- see this link for framework theme's.​

Changelog v1.1 (Android v2.2 edition) Download v1.1 link
- fixed: OCR camera function currently FC (crash) (Mobireader.apk added)
- fixed: Contacts apk will be replaced in next update.
- fixed: HDMI through media player
- fixed: /mnt/sdcard mount issue​

If you want stock korean 2.2 with just english language and working sensors, download this nandroid dump, if you will probably need the 1.1 including recovery.apk to install this the easy way.
but else follow instructions in my other releases, and put nandroid backup into the /nandroid/openrecovery folder and restore using OpenRecovery.​

See this post, if you wish to restore a stock rom, or to enable apps2sd filesystem on sdcard
Install instructions:
Make sure sdcard is visible, when you get to step 6 of instructions, or it all fails, same with restore..

A: users with stock 2.1 can proceed to step 1 in instructions.
B: users with stock SBF korean 2.2 rom , need to flash stock 2.1 and goto step 1
C: Users with 1.1+ of rom with OpenRecovery , can skip WIPE and factory reset, and a restore of the new nandroid backup included in the download link, and goto step 8 (and skip step 9 for factory reset)

1. root it (SuperOneClick ) - included with zip
  2. install OpenRecovery , use included apk.
  3. reboot phone once
  4. copy the folder "nandroid" to root directory of your sdcard.
  5. Make sure sdcard is not attached to pc using "mass storage share" to pc.
  6. Run OpenRecovery app and "install Recovery".
  7. Press Boot recovery
  8. restore the backup "stock22xxxx"
  9. wipe / factory reset in OpenRecovery
  10. reboot

Issues reported by users in v1.2a:
- Radio FM volume cannot change.
- MediaGallery does not do videoplayback

Issues reported by users in v1.0:
- Sync account option for facebook / Twitter is not added in settings when account is configured.
- Camera language not going to change (its korean app, so not support for other langs)
- LEDS do work, its sensors that makes them go off/on (no need to report this anymore)

STATEMENT:
Please don't keep asking the following question directed to me, public or via PM;
- Can you include language XXXXXXXX .
Answer: NO
- Can you teach me how to do custom roms
- will you include RTL for hebrew
- will you make other roms like cyanogen,htc etc..
for new users unable to write in public forums, i cannot answer all your PM's personally, as that gets to be a quite a few per day and many monthly...i am not a support central for xt720 community..i simply don't have that kind of time available.

Last edited:

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
if i press camera button here (1-2 sec) it opens?
media button (the small one becide the cam button?) ? yes i see its not doing any action

from what i read now, the known accelerator driver issue + led,hdmi is 2 majors, im not sure about other issues becides the extra languages which for some seem to cause issue..
the way the launcher works is a matter of taste (seeing like 20+ android devices)

- if you're coming from stock 2.1 there is differences and more functions, but if you tweaked alot maybe less features are here, like dalvik.
- rotation is a problem if you plan alot of games with acc. functionality..

- I personally dont experience problems, except the buttons which personally i would love to fix now..

I think overall there is a positive feel about the first working release.

I am still unable to sync with facebook contacts, anyone else?
-->settings ---> accounts add the facebook account successfully but then not in the accounts list and then contacts in phone do not sync.

gommers1978

Oct 26, 2006
It seems that many not being experienced users, still try to install and here is the instruction for installing the rom.

Install instructions (based on korean sbf):
1. Install korean sbf (STSKT_N_79.33.50R) using RSDLite ( link here )
- boot your xt720 into bootloader (press power up while holding VOL+ + and shutter button during bootup)
- when RSDLite application on pc says "connected" , your ready to flash
- select the SBF
- press start
2a. Set language to english, set usb mode into Charge Only and USB debugging on in the Settings->Apllications->Development menu.
2b. root it (using SuperOneClick) - ( link here )
3. install OpenRecovery , follow instructions on ( http://bit.ly/gIPoXo ) files included (OpenRecovery & OpenRecovery.zip )
5. copy the folder "nandroid" to root directory of your sdcard.
6. boot into OpenRecovery (adb shell reboot openrecovery)
7. restore the backup "stock22" in openrecovery
8. wipe / factory reset in OpenRecovery
9. reboot

Download here

APK for easy installation and rebooting into OpenRecovery is in the works (based on previous CWM recovery app)

Added a rule for people who do not know how to use SuperOneClick

Reactions: xtdx1

ttcool

Oct 19, 2010
hi there ! is it the final version of 2.2 or still in testing process?
nice job and thank you all...

fjfalcon

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 19, 2011
Schelkovo
@Dexter, thank you for contacts.apk. But how to install it? After replace in /system/app it's says - It's not installed, and when i try to install it - it says: I can't be installed.
For more issues: how about light sensor, that detects when you speak on your phone?
On 2.1 when you speak touchscreen goes off and you cant press it errorly.

Thank you very much.

FM RADIO also missing.....

That from 2.1

Last edited:

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
Facebook account missing.

deleted.. i misunderstood the q here

After full flash and all instructions followed corectly i can boot into 2.2 without any problems.
i set up my account with google, go to the market, download "facebook for android" install is succesfull, i then go to ==> settings menu ==> Accounts menu, add account, choose facebook, am successfull at login in to facebook, return to accounts menu = Facebook account is not there.

And my phone contacts do not sync with facebook.

Thank you :)

joe206hdi

Nov 24, 2010
Just flashed korean sbf ... maybe due to i´d used launcherpro in stock rom i can´t get into the rom background and apps are still there in korean rom.

going back to european rom and do a wipe/reset before flashing again the korean one...

later more

@dexter can´t we use universal androot instead of super one click
finally fixed it
1.flashed again german stock rom sbf file
2. do a factory reset in stock recovery
3. flash korean sbf file while reboot unplug the usb - when rsd lite shows massage "reboot manualy" - phone is still in reboot ( when i don´t do this it won´t work ?!?!
4. go on with dexters xt720-2.zip nandroid procedure

@dexter unversalandroot won´t work - just tested before superoneclick - adb install worked fine but no root....

-------
bugs

camera options are still in english - i´m on german

more within tomorrow

Joe - thanks great work

easye420

Sep 28, 2010
anyone else get a Installation error Unknown reason -18 when trying to install battle bears. :( i loved that game. worked on 2.1 even tho it said it didnt

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
Did you set your FB freinds to sync in the FB app?

Is yours working?

Where are those settings please? not in the accounts menu cause facebook is not there, i am able to add it from that menu but then it disapeares, when i clic add again facebook option is availible but just clics to nowhere and returns to the add account page....

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
I been following this thread, very intresting! I thought, would it not be possible to use the kernel from XT720 (2.1), beause its the same kernel version? Or is too much changed?

ok, i went back once more and flashed just 2.1 kernels from uk rom, and indeed all sensors work now.. but,but,but... no 3D accelerator is currently activated, so screen lags really alot..
but yes, with that kernel it still boot up fine, with a few changes.

edit: update - ITS WORKING!!! running with 2.1 uk release kernel , its working now, all sensors activated..

Last edited:

3rdstring

Dec 19, 2010
Cincinnati
Where are those settings please? not in the accounts menu cause facebook is not there, i am able to add it from that menu but then it disapeares, when i clic add again facebook option is availible but just clics to nowhere and returns to the add account page....

In the facebook app if you tap on "Facebook" at the top you go to the page to navigate to news feeds, friends, etc. If you hit your options button there there is a settings screen that includes preferences for how contacts are sync'd.

HTH

hellmonger

Oct 9, 2010
Laval
In the facebook app if you tap on "Facebook" at the top you go to the page to navigate to news feeds, friends, etc. If you hit your options button there there is a settings screen that includes preferences for how contacts are sync'd.

HTH

Yes i saw those settings, unfortunately they have no effect or bearing on the accounts.
I believe this is a bug, yet no one has confirmed or denied being able to reproduce it.

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
All sensors activated!!

I think smurfb deserve a little thanks, for pushing the request/idea just to try loading the old uk kernel once more, so i did and this time i fixed the problems with loading the old kernel and lib/bin required, its not much and most (2.2) korean state is kept intact..

ill do some testing after the new nandroid backup and start uploading v1.0

Reactions: Niephasus

easye420

Sep 28, 2010
I think smurfb deserve a little thanks, for pushing the request/idea just to try loading the old uk kernel once more, so i did and this time i fixed the problems with loading the old kernel and lib/bin required, its not much and most (2.2) korean state is kept intact..

ill do some testing after the new nandroid backup and start uploading v1.0

does that mean u activated the 3d accelerator. :) and would replacing the settings.apk from 2.2 from motoroi enable hdmi since the settings arnt even there anymore in this version the hdmi libs and everything is still there jus no hdmi.

Last edited:

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
does that mean u activated the 3d accelerator. :) and would replacing the settings.apk from 2.2 from motoroi enable hdmi since the settings arnt even there anymore in this version the hdmi libs and everything is still there jus no hdmi.
yes, 3d is fully functional now. I dont think it will work, but i will find a way to add the functionality..
the korean rom has only english, which im sure not many appreciate, although camera as one is used from that rom so only english is enabled.

but i will for sure try and get HDMI working..
I got FMRadio app added, does it help?

mtvdeo

Jul 12, 2010
Montevideo
Thank you so much for making this, Dexter. We are hungry of froyo, asking for more. But you deserve to take a break :)

which languages does it have?
I will install it soon. can someone upload a video of it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    so here is the new edition with uk kernel, basically pretty much the same as before with correct sensor drivers now.

Changelog v1.3 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here or mirror

- xavwanted's libOMX and MediaGallery.apk which seems to fix HD recording and playback
    - Riley600's interactive governor fix
    - callwaiting fix
    - kousik's mount-o typo fix
    - Mioze7Ae move /oc to /system/oc
    - bootanim by helmi666
    - Email.apk replacement

Changelog v1.2b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here

- fixes problems with callwaiting functionality.

Changelog v1.2a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here

- 720P recording fix
    - re-added old MediaGallery as Camera app requires it.
    - there can be possible hickups with mediascanning (so you know)
    If you do see many FC's its a symptom of not having done factory reset, so this should indicate whether you need to do it or not.

Changelog v1.2 (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid image here
    - fixed mediascanner issue
    - removed old mediagallery (not supported) , now only Gallery3D available.
    - removed VoiceCommands app, cpu intensive and taking much storage.
    Note, due to the bug in mediascanner and decoding and on top ext2sd support, quadrant benchmarks drastically drops when ext2 is enabled, if the sdcard is not a class6 or higher.. but media decoding bug alone caused incorrect reportings, so dont be surprised when you test now.
    Its a full nandroid for new and existing users. if you're using 1.1+ you do not need to WIPE settings, just restore nandroid and reboot, signatures will be recalculated and bootup takes maybe little more, but it works fine.

Patch update Changelog v1.1b (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download patch here
    - HDMI added to settings menu, let me know how it works (not tested)
    - different proximity sensor module (tested with z-devicetester seems better)
    - facebook fix still included.
    - Support for loading overclock module at startup.
    - apps2ext partition support , will mount at startup if a 2nd partition is found.
    its not advanced, so you need ext2/ext3 partition for now.
    NOTE: Patches goes into /OpenRecovery/updates and is applied in openrecovery menu "apply update".​

Changelog v1.1a (Android v2.2.1 edition) Download nandroid v1.1a link
    - Based on 2.2.1 milestone framework leak
    - Sync facebook is working
    - Lockscreen is new (Blur like)
    - see this link for framework theme's.​

Changelog v1.1 (Android v2.2 edition) Download v1.1 link
    - fixed: OCR camera function currently FC (crash) (Mobireader.apk added)
    - fixed: Contacts apk will be replaced in next update.
    - fixed: HDMI through media player
    - fixed: /mnt/sdcard mount issue​

If you want stock korean 2.2 with just english language and working sensors, download this nandroid dump, if you will probably need the 1.1 including recovery.apk to install this the easy way.
    but else follow instructions in my other releases, and put nandroid backup into the /nandroid/openrecovery folder and restore using OpenRecovery.​

See this post, if you wish to restore a stock rom, or to enable apps2sd filesystem on sdcard
    Install instructions:
    Make sure sdcard is visible, when you get to step 6 of instructions, or it all fails, same with restore..

A: users with stock 2.1 can proceed to step 1 in instructions.
    B: users with stock SBF korean 2.2 rom , need to flash stock 2.1 and goto step 1
    C: Users with 1.1+ of rom with OpenRecovery , can skip WIPE and factory reset, and a restore of the new nandroid backup included in the download link, and goto step 8 (and skip step 9 for factory reset)

3. reboot phone once
    7. Press Boot recovery
    8. restore the backup "stock22xxxx"
    10. reboot

Issues reported by users in v1.2a:
    - MediaGallery does not do videoplayback

Issues reported by users in v1.0:
    - Sync account option for facebook / Twitter is not added in settings when account is configured.
    - Camera language not going to change (its korean app, so not support for other langs)
    - LEDS do work, its sensors that makes them go off/on (no need to report this anymore)

STATEMENT:
    Please don't keep asking the following question directed to me, public or via PM;
    - Can you include language XXXXXXXX .
    - Can you teach me how to do custom roms
    - will you include RTL for hebrew
    - will you make other roms like cyanogen,htc etc..
    for new users unable to write in public forums, i cannot answer all your PM's personally, as that gets to be a quite a few per day and many monthly...i am not a support central for xt720 community..i simply don't have that kind of time available.
    Second and final v1.0 stock edition

- Overclock 1.47 included
    - Twitter / Facebook included
    - tiwlan fix included (ini file only)
    - FMRadio (22 korean edition)
    - OpenRecovery app edition (modified DefyRecovery app for xt720 & OpenRecovery replacement) no need for adb anymore.
    - All sensors now working.
    - Interactive governor added (Thanks, Nadlabak)
    - native froyo apps2sd tested / working.
    - button Leds works
    - Kernel included in nandroid backup, no need for any sbf install.

Download link

Install instructions:
    3. reboot phone once
    7. Press Boot recovery
    8. restore the backup "stock22"
    9. reboot
    like my samsung spica has indonesian language,when i select it,not all ui change to indonesia language,but news on news and weather widget show news in indonesian language and from indonesian feed,
    for this purpose, its just a matter of using MoreLocale2 from Market, and all apps that has native language support for your country will switch to that language..
    Unified 1.2 bugfix patch

Maybe xavwanted has even more secrets! I'll take a look.

xavwanted's MediaGallery.apk works (the one I was using came from 1.1a). I'm attaching the working one.

I've started collecting all the bugfixes we find into a single patch that can be applied directly to 1.2 (not 1.2a). The idea is that perhaps collecting these in one place could help Dexter decide if he wants to incorporate them in his releases. The source is on:

https://github.com/Mioze7Ae/XT720-patch

stock221v12-bugfix-1.zip contains:

• xavwanted's libOMX and MediaGallery.apk which seems to fix HD recording and playback
    • Riley600's interactive governor fix
    • Dexter's 1.2b callwaiting fix
    • kousik's mount-o typo fix
    • My suggestion to move /oc to /system/oc

Not included yet: a Milestone Overclock persistence fix. It's easy to get this working if we completely forget about supporting the /sdcard/oc-settings file but then you can't easily set custom frequency and voltage tables.

My current idea is to parse out the settings from Milestone Overclock's preferences saved in an xml file under /data/data/. Given the risks of getting the values wrong and damaging the phone I've made the parsing extremely strict. The problem is there is no good way to signal a parse error to the user of the layout of the file changes. I'm close to a working version.

Things that I'm thinking about and/or working on:
    • ext3/ext4 support (previous approach wasn't really working)
    • Link2SD support (not really a bug and Link2SD is changing rapidly)
    • Moving dalvik-cache (not really a bug)

Why 1.2 and not 1.2a? Because it seems that fixing HD recording on 1.2 is easier than fixing media scan on 1.2a. Also, the consensus seems to be emerging that 1.2 is more stable than 1.2a overall.

Please let me know if I've forgotten something.

I know there's a report of a corporate email fix, but I can't test that. Should I include that or wait for independent confirmation?
    Russian language patch.

From Users to Users.
    We translated Dexter 1.3 to Russian.
    And we think translated well.

So, here is a patch, that adds russian.
    To enable it you should install morelocale2 or just wipe all data(then build.prop settings will get ru_RU locale)

Patch

If someone wants to translate the phone and on his langueage - do not hesitate to contact me with questions in pm.