Someone convince me to go AOKP/CM/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

jpcdeux

Mar 26, 2010
Laporte, IN
The reasons to have a Note 2 are gone with an aosp/aokp rom. LOVED cm10.1 on my S3, no use for pen, no multiwindow, feature lacking camera etc are all reasons on this phone I'd rather not use aosp/aokp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium

Driggity420

Jul 23, 2010
New Jersey
Rootbox AOKP supports 64gb cards mine works just fine. AOKP is the only way to go

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA
What features do you like/gain on an AOKP ROM over a TW ROM?

Thanks. Still more features in a TW Rom for me though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

AOKP is not equal to ROM

ROM is unique mashup of possibly... AOKP+CM+PA+Performance tweaks+MODS

You have to compare each ROM separately for what you'd want, and no one else knows what you want more than yourself as a user.

andronikal659

Sep 28, 2011
Montreal
I don't see the point...

I love AOSP/AOKP rom but I honestly don't see the point with NOTE devices; you might as well stick with the s3.

there's no s-pen, no multi-window, (no low-light, slow motion / fast motion video recording on s3)... biggest issue is the standard support for 64gb exfat. What does the AOSP/AOKP have more? "cleaner rom"? and more specs overclocking? kinda pointless imo.

shaolin95

Apr 5, 2010
Utah
I love AOSP/AOKP rom but I honestly don't see the point with NOTE devices; you might as well stick with the s3.

there's no s-pen, no multi-window, (no low-light, slow motion / fast motion video recording on s3)... biggest issue is the standard support for 64gb exfat. What does the AOSP/AOKP have more? "cleaner rom"? and more specs overclocking? kinda pointless imo.
That is exactly the reason I have not gone with AOSP ROMS after getting Note 1.I tried it but missing the actual Note experience defeated any benefits plus unlike with my Captivate, the TW roms were just as smooth so I am surprised with the tw fast is not the same as AOSP fast because that is not what my tests showed.
It was with my Captivate for sure but not with Note.
In any case, to each its own.

I paid for most launchers and currently only use TW modded in order to keep the extra features. :good:

silentecho13

May 5, 2011
Eh, I did enjoy the stock experience, but I ended back up on Skynote. It just suited me better. I did miss the s-pen functionality, so I may revisit an AOSP/AOKP/CM mod in the future if they somehow implement this in there.

droidzika

Apr 6, 2012
42.6525° N, 73.7567° W
AOKP was fantastic on my galaxy nexus. I tried it on the note but it just didn't feel right. She's just rooted with nova on it. Maybe when I get tired of tw and spen functionality hits some more roms, I'll think about flashing something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

jeremyandroid

Dec 28, 2010
Picayune

Yes I agree. I just dont see that they are faster than TW. To be honest. I have tried many of them . Seems to loose mulit which is one of my favorites that I'm not willing to give up. And as for speed . There are TW Roms you can compare with any of the cm aosp or aokp roms and they perform the same or in some cases better from 2d 3d graphics quads and real life feel without sacrificing any features. But everyone like something different. I have tried them all and they always had little glitches I didnt like as I am a perfectionist. Couldnt tell the "so called speed differences". If I have paid all the money for a note 2 I want the functionality of spen and multi. I normally wouldn't even post in here and wont respond anymore. Im not one to debate because testing has proven enough to me.

JDEVIL ZODIAC POWERED ROMS

andronikal659

Sep 28, 2011
Montreal
last chance for CM/AOSP/AOKP...

After coming to this thread I decided to try RootBOX rom (after trying all the CM/AOSP/AOKP for the millionth time for the NOTE)...

biggest failure ever! not the rom itself but the lack of compatibility for the Samsung note devices... The roms are perfect but lack that magic touch of the s-pen features and samsung apps.

I was on ExtFat filesystem and everything worked fine with Jedi11 perseus kernel BUT I still decided to format all my 40GB+ files to fat32 bc AOSP doesnt recognise my 64GB unless it's fat32...

now, all the tweaks (extsd2int, stweak, noozxoide, android powertools tweak, all samsung apps (camera, gallery, photodesk, touchretouch... none!)

even the Galaxy nexus camera isn't working properly, they didn't change the build.prop/model by default bc it's still GN-nexus which fc...

imo Samsung +1 on this one!

I recommend Jedi or SkyNote if you don't want to lose all your functionality. If you have the s3 or lg Nexus than go for the AOSP if you like.

Happy flashing!

ManelScout4Life

Oct 18, 2006
Newark, NJ
After coming to this thread I decided to try RootBOX rom (after trying all the CM/AOSP/AOKP for the millionth time for the NOTE)...

biggest failure ever! not the rom but the lack of compatibility for the Samsung note devices... The roms are perfect but lack that magic touch of the s-pen features and samsung apps.

I was on ExtFat filesystem and everything worked fine with Jedi11 perseus kernel BUT I still decided to format all my 40GB+ files to fat32 bc AOSP doesnt recognise my 64GB unless it's fat32...

now, all the tweaks (extsd2int, stweak, noozxoide, android powertools tweak, all samsung apps (camera, gallery, photodesk, touchretouch... none!)

even the Galaxy nexus camera isn't working properly, they didn't change the build.prop/model by default bc it's still GN-nexus which fc...

imo Samsung +1 on this one!

I recommend Jedi or SkyNote if you don't want to lose all your functionality. If you have the s3 or lg Nexus than go for the AOSP if you like.

Happy flashing!

To each their own but the s pen is a gimmick. Yes it's cool to show off but it's impractical. Notes are taken too big on the screen if you want them to be ledgible so you'll be scrolling like crazy. Also, aosp ROMs have snote alternatives that work just as well.

Now to the build prop, it set to GT-N7105, that's the international LTE Note II, not the G Nexus, and it has nothing to do with the camera, which works properly.

Everyone has different needs and wants with a phone but I rather have completely control of the notification led natively, change themes without flashing them, quick reply which I use constantly, and tons more customization options. Let's also not forget that touchwiz ROMs are still stuck on 4.1.2 and will remain there until Samsung decides to release something where as in aosp ROMs you're always using the latest OS.

Touchwiz ROMs are fragmented. Some themes only work for some versions, some mods only work for another version. It doesn't make sense, and trying to say that an 800+ mb ROM with 200+ pre-included apps will run just as fast as an aosp ROM just sounds silly. Not everyone buys the note ii for the spen, I bought it because I like the size (I previously had a note I) and I like the specs.

Last edited:
Reactions: lmike6453
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't see the point...

I'm running Skynote 8.1 right now and I love it.

Nova launcher and the Perseus kernel, it's great.

I've been eyeing some of the AOKP and CM nightlies lately. What did you notice first/appreciate the most when you switched away from a TW based ROM?

Of course, I've read through all the threads for features and changelogs, but I wanted to get some quick first-hand opinions.

I'm not asking the overly-posted 'which ROM is best??!??!?!??!??!?' question, so don't flame me lol.
    Honestly you should just try it. I did it myself also. Shouldn't keep asking this question as you can Google aosp vs touchwiz. So you might just get flamed. We shouldn't be giving you reasons anyways lol. Man up and back up and try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app
    If I was on another phone besides the Note 2 I would be using an AOSP Rom.
    I bought the Note 2 b/c of its unique features. Mainly the spen and the multi-view app feature. Two things you sort of loose by going AOSP. Sure there are 3rd party stylus apps you can get, but the TW stylus apps are much better.
    I tried various 4.2.X Roms and always kept going back to Skynote. I always felt like I was actually missing features when going to 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. Skynote with Nova Launcher gives me everything I want.
    Members it appears we have cover the bases on this topic, if there was a topic...

Thank You.