[Q] S4 Performance?

Search This thread

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
I've been wondering something.

Ive been a android fan for awhile, and previous phones have had less than desirable space left for apps. so ive always used link2sd with great effect.

What I am wondering now is (because I now have plenty internal storage on my s4) is, would I gain any performance boost by continuing to utilize link2sd for my apps?

Or would I benefit more by not bothering? Are there any benchmarks to support yay or nay?

My cards a class10 32g card... and I know the s4 supports ext4.

Posted from my I337 NB1 Dark Venom 3 SS version --- 20G Free Cloud --- https://copy.com?r=vtiraF

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans

Ive been a android fan for awhile, and previous phones have had less than desirable space left for apps. so ive always used link2sd with great effect.

What I am wondering now is (because I now have plenty internal storage on my s4) is, would I gain any performance boost by continuing to utilize link2sd for my apps?

Or would I benefit more by not bothering? Are there any benchmarks to support yay or nay?

Posted from my I337 NB1 Dark Venom 3 SS version --- 20G Free Cloud --- https://copy.com?r=vtiraF

As far as performance goes by using link2sd... maybe a little during app loading, but not enough to notice. Are you rooted? The best app i have ever seen period for performance adjusting is Android Tuner. The paid version offers just about every possible tool to adjust every possible aspect of the rom. You should at least give it a glance. I boosted the crap out of my phone with that app alone.

Good benchmarking app is "AnTuTu"

Reactions: kpirnie

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
As far as performance goes by using link2sd... maybe a little during app loading, but not enough to notice. Are you rooted? The best app i have ever seen period for performance adjusting is Android Tuner. The paid version offers just about every possible tool to adjust every possible aspect of the rom. You should at least give it a glance. I boosted the crap out of my phone with that app alone.

yeah tried link2sd... and swapper... neither did a thing :)

I'll check out that AT

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans

I'll check out that AT

Link2sd and similar apps are really only for adjusting storage space. Performance modding lies in Android Tuner and other like apps... AT is a beast of an app though. You can get the link2sd function through it and ramp up the cpu. Try freezing as much bloatware as you can and tune up your build.prop settings as a start to get better performance with the app

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Link2sd and similar apps are really only for adjusting storage space. Performance modding lies in Android Tuner and other like apps... AT is a beast of an app though. You can get the link2sd function through it and ramp up the cpu. Try freezing as much bloatware as you can and tune up your build.prop settings as a start to get better performance with the app

lookin into it now :) just hope I dont create a paperweight LOL

bloatwares already gone... thank u Titanium :) Gone so far as freezing the TouchWiz Launchers without issue

Last edited:

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans

bloatwares already gone... thank u Titanium :) Gone so far as freezing the TouchWiz Launchers without issue

You should be OK as long as you freeze instead of uninstalling the system apps. Or at least make backups of them in case you need to get an OTA update. If you are missing system files then it makes getting upgrades a pain in the butt. I assume you have a custom recovery too? Everything is easily reversible that you do on AT. The only issue I ever had was when i tried to have certain CPU settings apply themselves with init.d without kernel support. All I had to do was flash the disabler in recovery that you can create in the app.

For good performance setting you can try this: set CPU gov to interactive, use most of the presets available for the build.prop menu, set a bigger I/O cache with "deadline" scheduler in the SD menu, set a more aggressive OOM preset, and increase entropy as high as you can. All of these while setting them to apply on boot. There is a lot to discover in that app so have fun and make backups!

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
You should be OK as long as you freeze instead of uninstalling the system apps. Or at least make backups of them in case you need to get an OTA update. If you are missing system files then it makes getting upgrades a pain in the butt. I assume you have a custom recovery too? Everything is easily reversible that you do on AT. The only issue I ever had was when i tried to have certain CPU settings apply themselves with init.d without kernel support. All I had to do was flash the disabler in recovery that you can create in the app.

For good performance setting you can try this: set CPU gov to interactive, use most of the presets available for the build.prop menu, set a bigger I/O cache with "deadline" scheduler in the SD menu, set a more aggressive OOM preset, and increase entropy as high as you can. All of these while setting them to apply on boot. There is a lot to discover in that app so have fun and make backups!

yeah Ill b doing most of these tomorrow ;) im on the rom in my sig... which unfortunately does not allow safestrap to mount /system so im unable to do a nandroid.... but i did just finish a titanium bacup so at least if I do bork... Ill still have my apps

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
yeah Ill b doing most of these tomorrow ;) im on the rom in my sig... which unfortunately does not allow safestrap to mount /system so im unable to do a nandroid.... but i did just finish a titanium bacup so at least if I do bork... Ill still have my apps

I found something weird. I assume it's AT... but not really sure. I'm using Aviate Launcher, and what I noticed that after AT did it's "cleaning" some of the shortcuts to a few apps would dissappear... always the same apps (minecraft, xda, etc...)

Would you happen to know how I can prevent this? I had it set to clean and optimize all apps/databases and trim partitions.

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans
I found something weird. I assume it's AT... but not really sure. I'm using Aviate Launcher, and what I noticed that after AT did it's "cleaning" some of the shortcuts to a few apps would dissappear... always the same apps (minecraft, xda, etc...)

Would you happen to know how I can prevent this? I had it set to clean and optimize all apps/databases and trim partitions.

It happens after the cleaning process? Right after boot complete? You can check to see if it is AT by disabling the boot scheduler in device manager, and then a few minutes after the phone boots up manually run the cleaning process to see if its happening when it does it.

Also, when i had shortcuts disappear on me it was because I had them moved to or from the device or ext sd card. Some apps need to be installed to internal storage for them to work right. You should never move any apps to the system storage that weren't already there. That's different from internal storage, which is the same as internal SD. The system partition is where the pre installed apps reside (and bloatware). If you can find the system app in the play store then you can most likely, safely, move it elsewhere. Try to change where the missing shortcut apps are stored. AT is zip-aligning apps when it does its optimizations to make them load faster and give you a more organized file system.

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
It happens after the cleaning process? Right after boot complete? You can check to see if it is AT by disabling the boot scheduler in device manager, and then a few minutes after the phone boots up manually run the cleaning process to see if its happening when it does it.

Also, when i had shortcuts disappear on me it was because I had them moved to or from the device or ext sd card. Some apps need to be installed to internal storage for them to work right. You should never move any apps to the system storage that weren't already there. That's different from internal storage, which is the same as internal SD. The system partition is where the pre installed apps reside (and bloatware). If you can find the system app in the play store then you can most likely, safely, move it elsewhere. Try to change where the missing shortcut apps are stored. AT is zip-aligning apps when it does its optimizations to make them load faster and give you a more organized file system.

Yeah, happens right after boot process is complete. They just disappear from the Aviate Launcher collections areas. The apps themselves are still there... so it could be something in the Launcher doing it as well...

Yeah, not linking apps to sd card :) Not anymore at least lol.

Last edited:

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans
Yeah, happens right after boot process is complete. They just disappear from the Aviate Launcher collections areas. The apps themselves are still there... so it could be something in the Launcher doing it as well...

Yeah, not linking apps to sd card :) Not anymore at least lol.

The link2sd is mainly for phones with a small system storage. Our phones have a decent reserve set aside for it. It shows that the system memory is almost full, but its because the os is stored there. Some phones with a small internal storage have problems downloading apps once it gets just about full, even if the internal sd has plenty of room and get the "not enough storage" notification. Link2sd helps solve that for those devices. Android started making the mistake of installing apps to internal when they should be installed to SD. Something that didn't happen in earlier versions of Android. If you need room on the internal sd I know a couple of tricks to free up a large amount of space. Especially if you have 2 ".thumbdata" files in the DCIM directory that can each hold up to 500mb or more of crap you don't need at all. You can tell if you have them if your file manager is set to show hidden files and just deleting them doesn't work as they rebuild themselves after boot... total waste of space!

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
The link2sd is mainly for phones with a small system storage. Our phones have a decent reserve set aside for it. It shows that the system memory is almost full, but its because the os is stored there. Some phones with a small internal storage have problems downloading apps once it gets just about full, even if the internal sd has plenty of room and get the "not enough storage" notification. Link2sd helps solve that for those devices. Android started making the mistake of installing apps to internal when they should be installed to SD. Something that didn't happen in earlier versions of Android. If you need room on the internal sd I know a couple of tricks to free up a large amount of space. Especially if you have 2 ".thumbdata" files in the DCIM directory that can each hold up to 500mb or more of crap you don't need at all. You can tell if you have them if your file manager is set to show hidden files and just deleting them doesn't work as they rebuild themselves after boot... total waste of space!

Yeah, I'm good with space. 5.9GB free on internal, and 23.3GB free external ;)

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Yeah, I'm good with space. 5.9GB free on internal, and 23.3GB free external ;)

So, I ended going back to stock. re-rooted, the whole nine. Installed the Launcher... guess what... missing shortcuts, so it's definately not AT doing it :)

Hey man, thanks a ton for the help here... for some reason my XDA app isn't working so great, so I can't thank you enough :D

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Borked it... DOH
Not real sure what did it either.

Not really borked, but now I am getting Google Play Store Force Closes every second or so... I've tried the 'settings'->'force close', 'settings'->'clear cache/data' reboot tricks... not of them worked.

I have all my apps Titaniumed already (except AT), so I'm going to revert the rom back...

megamanDJ

Jan 21, 2014
New Orleans
Borked it... DOH
Not real sure what did it either.

Not really borked, but now I am getting Google Play Store Force Closes every second or so... I've tried the 'settings'->'force close', 'settings'->'clear cache/data' reboot tricks... not of them worked.

I have all my apps Titaniumed already (except AT), so I'm going to revert the rom back...

Somesthing might be wrong with the google play services app. Or the google framework app. Can you restore all the google apps to their last working backups? Or the original versions if that dont work.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

What firmware are you on? If you have everything backed up on Titanium to the external sd, and if you brick it just flash the same firmware or one newer then reroot. I went from MF3 to MK2 that way with no problem. And its easy to root and Safestrap. Just search "MK2 recovery from brick" and you will run into the link with all the tar files you need.

kpirnie

Recognized Contributor
Somesthing might be wrong with the google play services app. Or the google framework app. Can you restore all the google apps to their last working backups? Or the original versions if that dont work.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

What firmware are you on? If you have everything backed up on Titanium to the external sd, and if you brick it just flash the same firmware or one newer then reroot. I went from MF3 to MK2 that way with no problem. And its easy to root and Safestrap. Just search "MK2 recovery from brick" and you will run into the link with all the tar files you need.

Yeah, tried the restore of all thos.

on NB1... sort of ;) I did the Deadly Venom 3.0 SafeStrap =) Anyways, I'm backup and running after a reflash... no biggee, didn';t take all that long to do LOL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'll check out that AT