[Q] Stuck in CWM Boot Loop after attempting to do OTA ZVC

Search This thread

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
I restored my stock backup and allowed the phone to do the ZVC update. In the past this always failed for some reason. This time it failed but I am now stuck in a continuous loop, always boots to CWM.

I'm pretty good about following instructions if someone could just point me in the right direction. I installed the Android SDK, hoping that would give me ADB and I could sideload but I'm just spinning my wheels and dont know where to start.

I have tried to restore a backup and also tried to install a rom, neither gets me past CWM.

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
ok, after some research, I installed a driver for my phone and now adb is working with my phone. Might have wasted my time with the SDK, dont know.

I tried flashing the ZVC radio but I'm still stuck in the CWM boot loop.

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
Well I've tried to flash everything I could find but nothing works, always boots to recovery. Ready to take a hammer to this phone!

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
I restored my stock backup and allowed the phone to do the ZVC update. In the past this always failed for some reason. This time it failed but I am now stuck in a continuous loop, always boots to CWM.

I'm pretty good about following instructions if someone could just point me in the right direction. I installed the Android SDK, hoping that would give me ADB and I could sideload but I'm just spinning my wheels and dont know where to start.

I have tried to restore a backup and also tried to install a rom, neither gets me past CWM.

Have you tried this method? It helped me when I tried to undo the changes from freegee. If your phone has a working rom on it you can use this method if it wont boot. I basically messed up the recovery on mine and this fixed it.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2230106

Once you get a recovery on your phone you can flash a rom if it still wont boot. If you want stock you can flash the zvc stock rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536636

Reactions: cardboardbox

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
Have you tried this method? It helped me when I tried to undo the changes from freegee. If your phone has a working rom on it you can use this method if it wont boot. I basically messed up the recovery on mine and this fixed it.

Once you get a recovery on your phone you can flash a rom if it still wont boot. If you want stock you can flash the zvc stock rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536636
wow that was really easy! Thanks! Now I have TWRP 2.6 instead of the CWM I was using but no complaints as long as it works.

I still cant get the stock rom to upgrade OTA. After it downloads the Production ZVB to ZVC update (about 92mb) it tries to install it but always fails. I tried flashing the stock ZVC rom that can be found in the android dev sub forum but I had no data access even after selecting activate this device in settings. Any ideas?

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
wow that was really easy! Thanks! Now I have TWRP 2.6 instead of the CWM I was using but no complaints as long as it works.

I still cant get the stock rom to upgrade OTA. After it downloads the Production ZVB to ZVC update (about 92mb) it tries to install it but always fails. I tried flashing the stock ZVC rom that can be found in the android dev sub forum but I had no data access even after selecting activate this device in settings. Any ideas?

You can find the zvc radio in the same place. Flash that since you were never on zvc. Or try restoring your EFS if everything is blanked out in about device of your settings.

Also since you have a working phone now, I like philz recovery. Flash it from inside twrp. At the moment I'm using a modified twrp to multi boot a few different ROMs but that's a little more advanced.

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
You can find the zvc radio in the same place. Flash that since you were never on zvc. Or try restoring your EFS if everything is blanked out in about device of your settings.

Also since you have a working phone now, I like philz recovery. Flash it from inside twrp. At the moment I'm using a modified twrp to multi boot a few different ROMs but that's a little more advanced.
yeah I did get the zvc radio but flashing it doesnt give me data when combined with the stock zvc rom. When flashing the ZVC radio I can see its labelled as ZVB but that might just be leftover from the previous flashable radio.

At this point I just need to figure out how to go back to the stock recovery and unroot so I can get OTA updates.

engine95

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
yeah I did get the zvc radio but flashing it doesnt give me data when combined with the stock zvc rom. When flashing the ZVC radio I can see its labelled as ZVB but that might just be leftover from the previous flashable radio.

At this point I just need to figure out how to go back to the stock recovery and unroot so I can get OTA updates.

Why do you need the OTA? You now have the updated radio and ROM. ZVB radio is labeled ZVC and ZVC is the most current software. The ROM you just flashed is bone stock.
Now it's just a matter of getting data to work. Are all the numbers zeroed out? Also when you unlocked you should have an EFS backup to restore with.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
Why do you need the OTA? You now have the updated radio and ROM. ZVB radio is labeled ZVC and ZVC is the most current software. The ROM you just flashed is bone stock.
Now it's just a matter of getting data to work. Are all the numbers zeroed out? Also when you unlocked you should have an EFS backup to restore with.

Agreed. At this point there's no ota in sight over ZVC.

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
thanks for the help guys. Data works now, it was just real spotty at first. I kept trying "activate this device" until it finally worked consistently. I am concerned that it seems to lose data connection more often than before but I'd think if I flashed something wrong, or flashed the wrong radio, it wouldnt work at all, right? It wouldnt just be kind of crappy?

I'm sitting here at my desk watching the phone go from 3g to nothing to 3g to nothing, repeatedly. Changes at least once a minute.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
thanks for the help guys. Data works now, it was just real spotty at first. I kept trying "activate this device" until it finally worked consistently. I am concerned that it seems to lose data connection more often than before but I'd think if I flashed something wrong, or flashed the wrong radio, it wouldnt work at all, right? It wouldnt just be kind of crappy?

I'm sitting here at my desk watching the phone go from 3g to nothing to 3g to nothing, repeatedly. Changes at least once a minute.

Try going to Settings>More>Mobile networks>Network mode and tick CDMA. See if that helps. If it does and you want LTE, you'll need to do this every time. Just tick CDMA/LTE instead.

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
Try going to Settings>More>Mobile networks>Network mode and tick CDMA. See if that helps. If it does and you want LTE, you'll need to do this every time. Just tick CDMA/LTE instead.

It also sounds like a prl update is in order. But yes if you're not in an LTE area make due to check CDMA only because I have the same problem. Lose data like crazy when LTE/CDMA is selected. Have semi solid connection when only CDMA is selected.

Try updating prl and profile under system updates on stock.

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a
When you do that, it'll put it back to LTE if it has weak service. So you might have to go back into Settings and make it CDMA again.

Reactions: dopy25

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
When you do that, it'll put it back to LTE if it has weak service. So you might have to go back into Settings and make it CDMA again.

Yeah, every time I flash a rom I change to cdma only. I am nowhere close to an lte area, the closest is 30+ miles away in any direction. LTE kills my battery because it is always searching for LTE. Kind of sucks to get 4G back when I am actually in a market for it. But that shouldn't be a problem since I have been using the multiboot. What I had to do before was restore a stock backup and get a 4G lock after updating profile and prl, then restore the rom I want and I would have 4G.

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
Everything has been running pretty smooth for the past week but there is one issue that seems to be getting worse. When I turn on my phone I see the LG logo and then a blank, black screen with the backlight on. It will stay like this forever until I hold down the power button long enough to make the phone turn off. A week ago this happened occasionally but now its happening almost every time. In fact, today I cant get past it.

Any ideas?

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
Everything has been running pretty smooth for the past week but there is one issue that seems to be getting worse. When I turn on my phone I see the LG logo and then a blank, black screen with the backlight on. It will stay like this forever until I hold down the power button long enough to make the phone turn off. A week ago this happened occasionally but now its happening almost every time. In fact, today I cant get past it.

Any ideas?

Try going to recovery and wiping cache. It won't clear any data if you don't select data. Try that and a reboot.

Are you still using stock? If so is it totally stock or do you have a custom kernel? <<< just curious, it shouldn't be relevant.

EDIT: did you use this thread to get stock? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536636

@engine95 will correct me if I'm wrong but use the newest section,

the ont that says
New March 2 2014

New ZVC with all LG markings, kernel also. Only difference is it's rooted. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO UPDATE, unless you want to. With this, if you re-lock and then remove root, you will have a factory looking phone.
It is also zipaligned
New Download

Here's the Stock LG flashable kernel. All LG Markings
LG Stock Kernel

Last edited:
Reactions: engine95

engine95

Oct 14, 2008
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 4a

Any ideas?

Everything dopy25 said above ^^^^^^
I remember this happening in the past, but I not sure of the cure.
Either you need to wipe everything, SD included, and restore or start fresh.
Or
Its your unlock. You said you have the LG logo and that unlock will eventually go bad. You need to use the mako unlock, I think it's called. It'll have the Google logo on boot up.
All of our phones will need to use this unlock sometime, so that's the one Shelnutt2 recommends.
Read about it in the root guide.

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
You said you have the LG logo

I use the ZCV ROM zip in your post I as my stock so I can update prl, and Everytime it boots I see the the Google unlock screen, the LG logo, then the sprint logo and 4G animation stuff.

I also use the multi boot method so it is actually a secondary rom that way I don't have to flash over just to update PRL, could that have something to do with it?

cardboardbox

Nov 7, 2009
Try going to recovery and wiping cache. It won't clear any data if you don't select data. Try that and a reboot.

Are you still using stock? If so is it totally stock or do you have a custom kernel? <<< just curious, it shouldn't be relevant.

EDIT: did you use this thread to get stock? http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2536636

@engine95 will correct me if I'm wrong but use the newest section,

the ont that says
Yes I used that thread. I also got the ZVC radio from the link at the top of that thread. When I flashed it I saw in the text that scrolls up during the flash that it was labelled ZVB radio. I still wonder about that...

I'm still stock, no custom kernel.

I went to recovery, but the first time I tried I did it wrong and the phone booted up normally for the first time today. I then wiped cache and restarted the phone 5 times without it getting stuck. If it was cache, does this tell you anything? Will I have to wipe it once a week?

Or
Its your unlock. You said you have the LG logo and that unlock will eventually go bad. You need to use the mako unlock, I think it's called. It'll have the Google logo on boot up.
All of our phones will need to use this unlock sometime, so that's the one Shelnutt2 recommends.

Well dopy25's suggestion seems to have worked.

I'll read up about the mako unlock but maybe there is something weird about my phone. When I turn it on a normal boot goes like this:

1. LG logo for maybe .5 second or less
2. black screen with backlight on
3. black screen without backlight
4. LG logo again for 1 sec
5. Sprint animated 4GLTE logo
6. Done

1 through 4 are kind of strange. Maybe I should just have one LG logo?

dopy25

Feb 21, 2009
Fresno
Yes I used that thread. I also got the ZVC radio from the link at the top of that thread. When I flashed it I saw in the text that scrolls up during the flash that it was labelled ZVB radio. I still wonder about that...

I'm still stock, no custom kernel.

I went to recovery, but the first time I tried I did it wrong and the phone booted up normally for the first time today. I then wiped cache and restarted the phone 5 times without it getting stuck. If it was cache, does this tell you anything? Will I have to wipe it once a week?

Well dopy25's suggestion seems to have worked.

I'll read up about the mako unlock but maybe there is something weird about my phone. When I turn it on a normal boot goes like this:

1. LG logo for maybe .5 second or less
2. black screen with backlight on
3. black screen without backlight
4. LG logo again for 1 sec
5. Sprint animated 4GLTE logo
6. Done

1 through 4 are kind of strange. Maybe I should just have one LG logo?

You shouldn't have to occasionally wipe cache (I think), the reason I suggested it is because I was unsure if you did when you flashed the zip the first (last) time. However it doesn't hurt as far as I know to wipe cache, it will basically refresh all the apps and junk on your phone and be a clean boot but still have all your apps installed.

As far as the 2 LG logo's at boot, that very well could be what engine95 was talking about when he said you might be on the old/temp unlock method. But I think you should be on the good unlock if you used the teeny bin.

Reactions: engine95

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It also sounds like a prl update is in order. But yes if you're not in an LTE area make due to check CDMA only because I have the same problem. Lose data like crazy when LTE/CDMA is selected. Have semi solid connection when only CDMA is selected.

Try updating prl and profile under system updates on stock.

Any ideas?

Or

I see CWM-6.0.4.7. Does it matter than I have TWRP and not CWM?

It might if its an unlock file but if it's asking you if you want to install cwm then no.

But freegee should have downloaded the cwm and twrp (I think mine did automatically). Go into recovery and then choose flash zip, find the cwm file on your "SD". it should be under the freegee folder on your "SD". You might want to check that it is before booting to recovery.

Then go back to freegee app and try again. You might have better luck with cwm being your recovery anyway. I use twrp but you pretty much have to be careful with it. A lot of people have better luck with cwm or Philz.