Is the SW2 on its way to retirement?

Search This thread

ben.cordy

Dec 23, 2009
I've had a Sony sw2 for a couple of months now. I'm very happy with the device, it's a nice build, good size and has some cracking features not avalible on other smartwatch offerings.

Naturally as with any platform the hardware and it's possible features are one thing but ongoing software development is crucial.

I recently contacted Runtastic regarding the lack of basic functionality in their app (closes after timeout so has to be relaunched every time you want to view progress and doesn't use low power functionality). Unfortunately their response was to say that new functionality (or in my opinion basic necessary functionality) would require a complete rewrite and so at this time they have no plans to update their app for Sony support. They also mentioned that the issue is the multiple smartwatch platforms which they believe will be sorted by Android wear, a platform they are throwing themselves at.

Given Runtastic was flagship app for the device on launch my concern is that this spells out a pathway for many apps as support moves toward android wear. In reality Sony need to either commit to the new platform (android wear) and do something to comfort it's present watch owners or push for developers to truly accept their platform as viable and beneficial. If they can't even do this with partner apps like Runtastic, what does that mean for our watches future?

Ps sorry for the long message just interested in the thoughts of others!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

lexman098

Aug 15, 2012
Don't buy runtastic. The sw2 does a good deal more than Android wear, but unfortunately Sony doesn't invest in the marketing for it. Not too many people have even heard of it, so devs don't want to focus on it. Best case scenario is that Android wear improves more in the future. The smartwatch industry is just in Flux right now. Be happy you got to appreciate the sw2 while everyone else was forced to talk into their watch (which requires a constant Internet connection as well).

BobDunn

Nov 20, 2013
The SW2 is sat in a wheelchair with a blanket over its straps, in the corner of the dayroom in 'We care so you don't have to' retirement home.

I've had a Sony sw2 for a couple of months now. I'm very happy with the device, it's a nice build, good size and has some cracking features not avalible on other smartwatch offerings.

Naturally as with any platform the hardware and it's possible features are one thing but ongoing software development is crucial.

I recently contacted Runtastic regarding the lack of basic functionality in their app (closes after timeout so has to be relaunched every time you want to view progress and doesn't use low power functionality). Unfortunately their response was to say that new functionality (or in my opinion basic necessary functionality) would require a complete rewrite and so at this time they have no plans to update their app for Sony support. They also mentioned that the issue is the multiple smartwatch platforms which they believe will be sorted by Android wear, a platform they are throwing themselves at.

Given Runtastic was flagship app for the device on launch my concern is that this spells out a pathway for many apps as support moves toward android wear. In reality Sony need to either commit to the new platform (android wear) and do something to comfort it's present watch owners or push for developers to truly accept their platform as viable and beneficial. If they can't even do this with partner apps like Runtastic, what does that mean for our watches future?

Ps sorry for the long message just interested in the thoughts of others!

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

kill_dano

Oct 25, 2007
Runtastic doesn't need a complete re-write. That's bull. The app just needs a small line of code added. Runtastic was made when the Sony SDK did not allow low-power mode. Runtastic just never bothered to update their SW2 app after launching it.

Add some money to my bounty and someone with some know-how might take the time to figure out how to add the code for a mod.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2758706

how to add lowpower mode to an SW2 extension
http://developer.sonymobile.com/201...de-support-to-your-smartwatch-2-app-tutorial/