Screen always on

Search This thread

LandoAWD

Sep 8, 2008
Alright, so here's the deal:

After much searching, and a few new grey hairs, I've arrived at the point where I feel a new thread is justified. Recently, after a SlimKat flash, my screen lost the ability to turn off, and stay off. Typically, invoking a lock screen and having the appropriate timeouts set will allow the screen to sleep, but my phone is no longer behaving this way.

When I lock the screen, or the screen locks based on settings, instead of it staying off until I press the power button, it continually comes back on, displays the lockscreen, then turns off...then back on again...repeat ad-nauseam.

Please help before I launch this SOB off of a bridge.

Last edited:

LandoAWD

Sep 8, 2008
If going back to fully stock don't fix it then it's most likely a stuck power button. I've read about a few of them sicking in, and causing problems...

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
The power button appears to function on/off as it should. Midway through stock ROMing. ;) Looking around, trying to remember the fix for download mode not recognizing volume rockers. Soon...

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
The power button appears to function on/off as it should. Midway through stock ROMing. ;) Looking around, trying to remember the fix for download mode not recognizing volume rockers. Soon...

Ok are you saying that you're vol buttons are wonky?? Not working o orur intermittent??
Try this or one of the other reboot apps to help you enter download mode...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot

LandoAWD

Sep 8, 2008
Ok are you saying that you're vol buttons are wonky?? Not working o orur intermittent??
Try this or one of the other reboot apps to help you enter download mode...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.siriusapplications.quickboot

They are only inactive on the screen requiring a press to enter download mode. I've had it happen before on an older Galaxy.

I'm using this method. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2275844

Once done, I'm going to verify lockscreen operation, then probably flash away once again. This was an odd issue, to be sure. Never seen anything quite like it over numerous phones/roms/years.

LandoAWD

Sep 8, 2008
Somewhat of an issue...can't boot to Download to get root; can't run rebooter app without root to get to download mode. LOL

Plugging away, but lockscreen appears to work with OEM ROM.

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.

LandoAWD

Sep 8, 2008
Appreciated, and a bit ahead of ya. Just let Kies do its thang while I went out for lunch. Back to messing with the device for a few.

I think the lock is back to normal.

Edit: Nope. Hardware is all that's left at this point.

Last edited:

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
Appreciated, and a bit ahead of ya. Just let Kies do its thang while I went out for lunch. Back to messing with the device for a few.

I think the lock is back to normal.

Edit: Nope. Hardware is all that's left at this point.

Aaaawh ok got it... Yeah well at least ya tried everything to fix it...
Good luck with the hardware issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk