CWM: A thread of its own

Search This thread

ShotgunSam

Dec 12, 2010
Huntsville
OK, it goes without saying that to do rooting and flashing you need to have at least a basic understanding of the English language, a decent IQ and the ability to follow basic instructions.

However, with the CWM mod that's out there for this phone, there are dangers in trying to use for anything other than flashing. IMO, the problem is that those discussions are getting buried in long threads that were originally meant for other Subjects. I feel that CWM needs to have a thread of its on to benefit EVERYONE, especially the newbies. So I am starting it off with this simple instruction:

DO NOT TRY TO USE A ROM MANAGER AT THIS TIME! THE DEVS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN USE IT

ALSO; DO NOT USE CWM TO RESTORE AT THIS TIME YOU WILL BE BRICKED

#2 IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO CWM FROM START-UP TO FLASH A ROM - HOLD DOWN THE VOL UP BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + POWER BUTTON, WHEN YOU SEE THE SAMSUNG LOGO, RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON.

TO END THE CONSTANT QUESTIONS ABOUT THE "GO BACK" MENU OPTION: SCROLL COMPLETELY THROUGH ALL MENU OPTIONS TWICE, THE GO BACK OPEN WILL THEN APPEAR

I ask the devs to post info. here even if it has been posted in one of the threads.

Forum Management FTW!

Last edited:

boostedjti

Dec 26, 2010
Restoring currently has a bug that bootloops a device.

It should be noted that currently there is no go back option either. To enable this scroll through the menu 3x and select an option, go back will now appear.

kejar31

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 24, 2010

It should be noted that currently there is no go back option either. To enable this scroll through the menu 3x and select an option, go back will now appear.

So nandroids are not working, Sorry I dont have my Charge yet so I am only trying to get cleaification?

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
So nandroids are not working, Sorry I dont have my Charge yet so I am only trying to get cleaification?

AfaIk thats correct. No one has reported a successful restore. People who have tried end up in stock recovery loop. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for these folks soon.

kejar31

May 24, 2010
AfaIk thats correct. No one has reported a successful restore. People who have tried end up in stock recovery loop. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution for these folks soon.

Huh?? So if you try a recovery it bricks your phone???? or are you still able to get into recovery and reinstall a ROM?

If your are unable to get into recovery can you at least restore and Odin?

boostedjti

Dec 26, 2010
Huh?? So if you try a recovery it bricks your phone???? or are you still able to get into recovery and reinstall a ROM?

If your are unable to get into recovery can you at least restore and Odin?

Not sure an odin restore is helping people.

I have a theory on a way to fix a stock recovery bootloop but that would require a bootlooped device which I'm not willing to do...

Keighles

Oct 10, 2010
Pasadena, MD

I have found pressing the vol up and vol down at the same time enables the "go back" option. It will state that it is enabled.
It will pop up when you select another option first.

Sent from my voodoo Droid Charge ED2

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
On the Fascinate when you flashed CWM, Stock recovery would come up the first boot, then you would flash an update.zip that took you to CWM and you could flash a compatible kernel and you were on your way no more stock recovery. I don't know if something like this could work to get ppl unlooped or not, just throwing it out there.

And ShotgunSam you might as well add don't restore w/ CWM in your big red warning.

intenselyinsane

Sep 28, 2008
Wilmington
Samsung Galaxy Note 10
I have one that was bricked for this reason. If anyone has any ideas I will test them out. I am good with adb shell and have been trying to figure out how to change the bootmode=7 which I think is the sdcard to 6 which I think is the nand. Can't find where the file is in the system because I can't boot. Or a signed update zip that boots Android of the sdcard like the hd2 might work.

boostedjti

Dec 26, 2010
Well, I'm already stuck there, if your idea isn't too complex, I can try it out

Go to the epic 4g forums and in development you'll find a thread that contains an update.zip that will use cwm 3.0.2.x. adb push that update to your sd card or just transfer it. Flash jts cwm compatible kernel through odin then try applying the update.zip.

Just a theory. If cwm boots, you can then flash a rom and that may work.

On the Fascinate when you flashed CWM, Stock recovery would come up the first boot, then you would flash an update.zip that took you to CWM and you could flash a compatible kernel and you were on your way no more stock recovery. I don't know if something like this could work to get ppl unlooped or not, just throwing it out there.

That was something I mentioned on irc the other day lol great minds think alike.

kejar31

May 24, 2010
Has anyone with bricked phones tried to reach out to Koush?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

kejar31

May 24, 2010
Well he does have the Charge listed as a supported device on his website.. if its bricking he might help.. so if my phone were bricked I would at least try and start with him

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
I tweeted at him and said the problem. No response yet. Ill keep posted. Everyone should tell him

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

papi92

Nov 15, 2009
Koush is looking into it.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Thanks OP for this tread. I agree 100%.

1) I think some "bootloopers" have had success entering download mode when their SD card was pulled.

2) Have any brickers/bootloopers tried the JIG method to force download mode?

Google JIG:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=819551
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSaeaAcJHqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDkShT-65Y
http://samsungjigs.blogspot.com/
http://shop.ebay.com/skisky1/m.html

3) Also, I *think* someone who had bootloops was able to clear his data/cache folder somehow/someway. And I *think* he was either able to stop the bootloops or at least get into download mode. But maybe I am thinking of something else here.

Last edited:

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Would empty cache/dbdata/movinand.bin files be helpful for Odin? We could rip them out of one of the Fascinate Odin packages to be included with a "Restore to stock" Odin package. Based on the error I've seen of someone that tried to restore, it looks like /data is getting FUBARd and that's causing the problem, but it's not something I want to personally test since my phone is working.

jt1134

May 8, 2010
Anyone having issues after a restore, please see if you have adb shell access. If so, please grab a logcat and post it here.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, it goes without saying that to do rooting and flashing you need to have at least a basic understanding of the English language, a decent IQ and the ability to follow basic instructions.

However, with the CWM mod that's out there for this phone, there are dangers in trying to use for anything other than flashing. IMO, the problem is that those discussions are getting buried in long threads that were originally meant for other Subjects. I feel that CWM needs to have a thread of its on to benefit EVERYONE, especially the newbies. So I am starting it off with this simple instruction:

DO NOT TRY TO USE A ROM MANAGER AT THIS TIME! THE DEVS WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN YOU CAN USE IT

ALSO; DO NOT USE CWM TO RESTORE AT THIS TIME YOU WILL BE BRICKED

#2 IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO CWM FROM START-UP TO FLASH A ROM - HOLD DOWN THE VOL UP BUTTON + HOME BUTTON + POWER BUTTON, WHEN YOU SEE THE SAMSUNG LOGO, RELEASE THE POWER BUTTON.

TO END THE CONSTANT QUESTIONS ABOUT THE "GO BACK" MENU OPTION: SCROLL COMPLETELY THROUGH ALL MENU OPTIONS TWICE, THE GO BACK OPEN WILL THEN APPEAR

I ask the devs to post info. here even if it has been posted in one of the threads.

Forum Management FTW!

I have found pressing the vol up and vol down at the same time enables the "go back" option. It will state that it is enabled.
    It will pop up when you select another option first.

Sent from my voodoo Droid Charge ED2