Toshiba Thrive

Search This thread
K

kjy2010

Oh snap, gonna try hooking up my Zune.
EDIT: Nope. :(

Is this a processor limitation, or software?

I've only encountered the sleep bug once, and I just did a hard reset. Other than that it has been fine so far. Did the OTA update do anything?

I restored back to factory defaults, with no update, still had the sleep bug. The CS guy at Toshiba tried denying the issue, then I told him to see if there was a bulletin out on it, and sure enough, there was. I asked if there was an ETA out for a fix, he said their "engineering department was hard at work coming up with an update to fix it". If the DEVs here on this forum can fix a sleep bug in a day, why hasn't Toshiba been able to figure it out?!?
That is not the only con of this tablet however. It has a plastic/acrylic screen of some sort. It's not glass, and certainly not gorilla glass. I took mine back just over an hour ago and went back to the Iconia. IMHO for the money ($30.00 less), and feature set, it's the best one out to date.
Like I said, it's just my opinion, please don't anyone take it personally. ;)

GuitarrassDeAmor

Oct 23, 2010
I restored back to factory defaults, with no update, still had the sleep bug. The CS guy at Toshiba tried denying the issue, then I told him to see if there was a bulletin out on it, and sure enough, there was. I asked if there was an ETA out for a fix, he said their "engineering department was hard at work coming up with an update to fix it". If the DEVs here on this forum can fix a sleep bug in a day, why hasn't Toshiba been able to figure it out?!?
That is not the only con of this tablet however. It has a plastic/acrylic screen of some sort. It's not glass, and certainly not gorilla glass. I took mine back just over an hour ago and went back to the Iconia. IMHO for the money ($30.00 less), and feature set, it's the best one out to date.
Like I said, it's just my opinion, please don't anyone take it personally. ;)

I don't know, no excuse for that really. I don't mind the screen, but I do wish it was Gorilla Glass. That would be awesome. The Iconia feels cheaply made in my opinion, and that is just from messing around on it at Best Buy. I've handled every tablet, and besides the Touchpad (ugly shaped IMO), that is the only one I really don't like the make of. It also feels heavier than the Thrive, which I don't mind, but it is. As for the opinion, as long as you're not saying it's **** because you couldn't figure out how to turn it on (and provide an actual reason), I don't think many care. :cool:

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010
I don't know, no excuse for that really. I don't mind the screen, but I do wish it was Gorilla Glass. That would be awesome. The Iconia feels cheaply made in my opinion, and that is just from messing around on it at Best Buy. I've handled every tablet, and besides the Touchpad (ugly shaped IMO), that is the only one I really don't like the make of. It also feels heavier than the Thrive, which I don't mind, but it is. As for the opinion, as long as you're not saying it's **** because you couldn't figure out how to turn it on (and provide an actual reason), I don't think many care. :cool:

I agree, the hp touchpad is ugly, the concept designer should be shot, because its not sexy.

Also I agree, need some hardened facts. I am going to be picking mine up between this friday and next saturday. Execellent mini scam to get 20% off at best buy. :p

gsum

Jul 13, 2011
References

May want to check out specs on toshiba support page. I can't post links yet

Good FAQ and reviews I came across was including SD cards, sleep, display quality, full review

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive/373335-full-review-thrive.html

Butterxbean

Mar 28, 2011
Detroit
About the Toshiba Thrive Screen Material...

One of our Thrivey friends over at Thriveforums.org put up a video as a screen test using a key. It help up just fine, no protector, so whether it's gorilla glass or not, This stuff will keep your screen safe!

Last edited:

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
The sleep bug issue is forcing me to return the Thrive. I like the device a LOT, but nine out of ten times I have to power the device down and power back on when it goes in sleep mode.

If I turn the display off and then back on within a few seconds- no problem, but when the device goes into a sleep state- it does NOT wake back up when pressing the power button. Keeping music running is too impractical and hurts battery life, since that is not the only thing that will load in the background, being Android.

Best Buy is getting returns due to the issue, so it can not be helping the launch. You would think that Toshiba would mention the issue and a fix is coming- to reduce returns.

The Thrive is sweet, but right now, a nasty a$$ sleep bug is ruining that sweetness.

rushless

Jan 16, 2008
May want to check out specs on toshiba support page. I can't post links yet

Good FAQ and reviews I came across was including SD cards, sleep, display quality, full review

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive

androidforums.com/toshiba-thrive/373335-full-review-thrive.html

Ironically, that is my review and I am returning the Thrive due to it not wanting to come out of sleep mode when pressing the power button :(

The sleep bug issue is forcing me to return the Thrive. I like the device a LOT, but nine out of ten times I have to power the device down and power back on when it goes in sleep mode.

If I turn the display off and then back on within a few seconds- no problem, but when the device goes into a sleep state- it does NOT wake back up when pressing the power button. Keeping music running is too impractical and hurts battery life, since that is not the only thing that will load in the background, being Android.

Best Buy is getting returns due to the issue, so it can not be helping the launch. You would think that Toshiba would mention the issue and a fix is coming- to reduce returns.

The Thrive is sweet, but right now, a nasty a$$ sleep bug is ruining that sweetness.

I had the same issue. I tried the fix of taking the battery out and powering up without the battery and then reinserting the battery. This has seemed to have fixed the issue. I have had no sleep issues since.

GuitarrassDeAmor

Oct 23, 2010
I did a review of the tablet (video and written). I've had two lock screen bugs, one when I first got the device, and the second when I was writing my review ironically.

The tablet that claims to be everything the public wants and more is here. After an early release by a few stores, namely the Best Buy in Austin, TX, the Thrive has finally released everywhere July 10th, 2011. Coming in at $429, $479, or $579 for the 8gb, 16gb, and 32gb versions respectively, the tablet is aggressively priced in lieu of other tablets currently on the market. Sporting full size USB, HDMI, and SD slots/ports, Toshiba strives to provide a more laptop like experience with the Thrive. So how does it fair?

My review: http://www.wallpapereuphoria.com/in...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=37&Itemid=60

Video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6OAugmdVDo&hd=1 -- Not that good, never done one before, and didn't exactly know when or what order I was going to go over stuff in.

Reactions: dalepl

Suaveak

Oct 8, 2009
sleep bug fix...

Well my Thrive had the same sleep issue and random reboot while sleeping.

So my fix has been to go to wifi settings and set the wifi disconnect policy from when screen turns off to never. I haven't had a problem since I changed this last night.

Hope this helps.

BlackRose 22

Jun 23, 2011
Atlanta Ga.
You don't need.. to copy a movie or something related .. to internel memory to watch it. .. another great feature USB hosting .. and dual storage .. like if your keyboard has a port for USB .. it reads both .. when you have two USB hooked up.. video play back is great to

KickAss City Mik_CM7 FK V18.BFS

tombarr

Jun 18, 2011
Cambridge
tombarrasso.com
Sure you don't need an unlocked bootloader, but why would you not want one? It couldn't hurt, plus when (if) Google drops Honeycomb source better custom kernels will arrive (although from what I've read the Thrive already performs pretty well).

infazzdar

Dec 20, 2010
So does this tablet have an unlocked bootloader?

That will make or break my decision on purchasing one.

Sent from my DROIDX using XDA App

Natolx

Sep 1, 2010

It DOES have an unlocked bootloader. In fact its totally unlocked from the factory(unheard of).

I know this because I bricked mine by flashing the rooted boot.img for the Xoom with fastboot.

On that note, if anyone know of a way to extract or has access to a stock boot.img I would be very grateful!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

It DOES have an unlocked bootloader. In fact its totally unlocked from the factory(unheard of).

I know this because I bricked mine by flashing the rooted boot.img for the Xoom with fastboot.

On that note, if anyone know of a way to extract or has access to a stock boot.img I would be very grateful!
    How I fixed My Toshiba Thrive sleep Issue

I had the same issue when the tablet went into sleep mode it wouldn't wake up it would just blink. In order to turn it back on I had to hold down the power button until it went off then restart it. I fixed it by taking out the battery plugging in the tablet turning it on with no battery, then i put the battery back in and unplugged the device while it was still on it immediately noticed the battery and the sleep problem stopped happening hope this helps.

Edit: I got my thrive early at best at the time this worked for a couple days but then the issue returned again i thought the update would help but I still had the same issue, but now more often.
    Just got this thing today, gonna start working on some stuff, root etc,
    I'm sure kernel source isn't out yet but as soona s it is(anyone point me to it if they can) I'll try and get an OC kernel. First though gotta see what Toshiba did as far as the bootloader goes
    MODS WE NEED A SECTION, please?
    Now this is the first tablet I've had and my first run in with honeycomb, last I heard there was no hc source, but that seems to have changed as I read Asus released source and people have been compiling kernels for the xoom, so hopefully Toshiba makes us happy being dev-friendly as well need all their specific drivers
    I have heard the July 7th update killed the ADB drivers and the bootloader was locked pre-update.

This not the case. I got ADB working just by using the Android SDK (Level 12) and Google USB Driver (v4). More details at www.thriveforums.org

So now a question, does Android 3.1 have some kind of issue with L2TP IPSec VPN connections?

Unfortunately, OS (Honeycomb) has an incomplete L2TP IPSec implementation. Though has also been true of most of the Android 2.2 / 2.3 builds I've run on my Galaxy S. I tried using an existing PSK / 3DES setup only find out it doesn't support any more than DES. For my situation, I've been able to use PocketCloud as an alternative solution.
    ****EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION*****
    So, according to this forum supported hdd format is exFAT. Apparently it's in the manual, so, I guess I should go RTFM.
    *****End edit*****

As for a previous statement, the mkv files...have you tried a different player? One that supports them and all their subtitles? Or does that player support them?

thanks...gonna try it now. didn't know there was a thrive forums...XDA hurry up and give us a dedicated forum!