[GUIDE] How to Enter ODIN and Recovery Modes on Verizon Galaxy S4

Search This thread

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Not sure if this is the proper section for this but thought I would post this here as I'm sure it would highly assist people in development and other tasks. This is the button combinations you need to enter each mode.

ODIN/Download Mode

• Make sure your device is completely off
  • Key(s): Volume Down
  • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button until you see a disclaimer on the screen
  • Then let go of both buttons and press Volume Up to accept the disclaimer
  • Once the green robot is visible on the screen this indicates that handset is in now ODIN/Download mode
Recovery Mode

• Key(s): Volume Up
  • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button
  • As soon as the phone vibrates, let go of the Power button but keep holding Volume Up
  • When you see the "Samsung Galaxy S4" logo (not just the word "Samsung"), right after that, the next screen you should see is your recovery
  • Don't let go of Volume Up until you see your recovery

Last edited:

Bdubois100

May 28, 2013
No download mode

I've been trying to get into download mode for days and can't seem to figure it out. I have the Verizon g s4 sch-i545. I've done all of the key combos and even tried some combos + plugging in the USB cable. Nothing is working for me. Any help would be nice. Thanks

I have no problem getting into recovery mode....

Last edited:

SonicJoe

Dec 25, 2011
It's not necessary to hold the Home button to boot into Odin mode, the combination for recovery is correct though.

So just power/volume down for Odin and home/volume up/power for recovery

Home isn't necessary for recovery either. I just hold power and volume up, when the phone vibrates I let go of power and continue to hold volume up until I see the booting recovery message in the upper left.

Reactions: natypes

Dolphlungegrin

Jun 6, 2013
Moto not working

So I'm having no success with this. I went through all the steps including flashing the pre-release tar ball (MD2). All this went without fail, however once I launched Motochop and pressed enter to root. I get line Daemon not on. run port 5873. Daemon connected or on and then thats it. I don't get a notification at any point prior to me pressing enter or afterwords that I need to accept. It just stops and I get "you should reboot" from the notification bar. Have I done something wrong? I went through all the prior steps several times and I keep getting this error message.

Bloodcrav

Dec 3, 2011
Home isn't necessary for recovery either. I just hold power and volume up, when the phone vibrates I let go of power and continue to hold volume up until I see the booting recovery message in the upper left.

Agreed. Volume up and power for recovery. Volume down and power for odin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jun 18, 2013
Don't just push them. You need to hold both until you feel the phone vibrate. Then you can let go of the power button, but keep holding volume down until download mode starts.

When someone offers a debloat script that's in a Zip file and says "flash it to your device" do you think they mean flash it in Odin mode or flash using TWRP??

trenthari

Mar 3, 2012
Issue

alrigth i got it to work. is there any way to move cwm backups to the sd card?

Last edited:

Cazrcharge

Jul 14, 2013
Odin Error

I am having one heck of a time flashing to the GS4 with Odin. I follow all of the steps to a "t" but cannot get the custom kernal onto the device. I'm having no problem getting to download mode and all the setting look to be correct, however when I start the Odin process I end up with a "fail" every time. I have been looking around the web for a few days for an answer, but so far this looks like the best thread to get help.

cbmggm

May 1, 2011
Scottsdale AZ
Make sure the kernel you are trying to flash is compatible with the Odin method. A lot of kernels can be flashed via custom recovery. The first thing I would do is uninstall and then reinstall the Samsung drivers. Make sure you have the latest and it is compatible with your computer OS. You would be surprised how often drivers can screw up Odin.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

anand812

Aug 26, 2012
chennai
my s4 is getting into download mode itself..

i got my s4 i9500 frm bangkok but now not accepting the network ...so tried to get in download mode n root it n then 2 chg the rom n try but its not getting into download mode itself wen i use (vol down+power+main btn) ... but its going in recovery mode alone wat can b done to dis??? can any one pls help it out>????

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not sure if this is the proper section for this but thought I would post this here as I'm sure it would highly assist people in development and other tasks. This is the button combinations you need to enter each mode.

ODIN/Download Mode

• Key(s): Volume Down
    • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button until you see a disclaimer on the screen
    • Then let go of both buttons and press Volume Up to accept the disclaimer
    • Once the green robot is visible on the screen this indicates that handset is in now ODIN/Download mode
    Recovery Mode

• Key(s): Volume Up
    • While holding this key down simultaneously press the Power button
    • As soon as the phone vibrates, let go of the Power button but keep holding Volume Up
    • When you see the "Samsung Galaxy S4" logo (not just the word "Samsung"), right after that, the next screen you should see is your recovery
    • Don't let go of Volume Up until you see your recovery
    It's not necessary to hold the Home button to boot into Odin mode, the combination for recovery is correct though.

Can you please explain why? If I'm writing a different factory image using Odin, wouldn't that overwrite everything on MK2?

Apparently you have a lot of reading to do. :)

The I545 boot loader is locked. It will not allow you to flash anything not signed by Samsung.

For the MDK phone, there was an exploit discovered, called Loki, that allows flashing custom kernel, recovery,etc. allowing bypass of those locks.
    So, now you can only flash something that Samsung built. Loki only works on the MDK bootloader.

In addition, the bootloader keeps track of what version of various files have been flashed. If you try to downgrade, it's rejected since the image you're trying to flash is lower than the version in the fuse that stores the revision level. Nobody knows how to reset that fuse, or if it's even possible to do so.

The MJ7 to MK2 upgrade didn't bump the revision level (it's a minor update), so you can backtrack from MK2 to MJ7. That's the only downgrade path that works.

Well I have pushed volume down and power over and over and my phone will not enter odin.

Don't just push them. You need to hold both until you feel the phone vibrate. Then you can let go of the power button, but keep holding volume down until download mode starts.