Free WiFi Tether Note 3 TMobile

Search This thread

njweb

Nov 16, 2013
1. yes solution still working no issues whatsoever

2. no, just installing the wifi tether app will not work.t
The big issue is adjusting the APN settings and then using a wifi toggle app that will initiate wifi other than the one that comes with your T Mobile Note3.

1. Thanks. That's great!
I will look into this approach then.

2. Thanks!
So with respect to rooting or not rooting:
My understanding then is that rooting, when one only cares about adding free wifi tether to the Note 3, is useless and unnecessary (as in won't eliminate the need to perform the steps you noted) if one's provider is T-Mobile given what you noted about the APN setting change being needed regardless. The need to use a toggle app may not be needed as per subsequent posts.

In any case, thanks again for the tip!

Last edited:

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
1. Thanks. That's great!
I will look into this approach then.

2. Thanks!
So with respect to rooting or not rooting:
My understanding then is that rooting, when one only cares about adding free wifi tether to the Note 3, is useless and unnecessary (as in won't eliminate the need to perform the steps you noted) if one's provider is T-Mobile given what you noted about the APN setting change being needed regardless. The need to use a toggle app may not be needed as per subsequent posts.

In any case, thanks again for the tip!

Yeah, you have it correct....rooting is not required if all you want to be able to wifi tether. Now, some have stated they could get it to work without an additional wifi toggle app, but I could not get it to work without the additional toggle app. Althought I believe several different wifi toggle have have been used successfully.

Good luck! Also, for those asking about the 2.5GB thethering limit, it would not apply once you change the apn settings. You will not be limited, since you have unlimited data plan, with new apn setting....T-Mobile will not be able to tract tethered data from regular mobile data.

PowerMan572

Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, you have it correct....rooting is not required if all you want to be able to wifi tether. Now, some have stated they could get it to work without an additional wifi toggle app, but I could not get it to work without the additional toggle app. Althought I believe several different wifi toggle have have been used successfully.

Good luck! Also, for those asking about the 2.5GB thethering limit, it would not apply once you change the apn settings. You will not be limited, since you have unlimited data plan, with new apn setting....T-Mobile will not be able to tract tethered data from regular mobile data.

I've reached the 2.5GB limit and this does NOT work for me. I've been trying everything :-/ new APN settings, tether toggle widget, different root tether apps, and each time I get redirected to the up-sell page. Any suggestions?

messiahfreedom

Oct 30, 2013
Brooklyn
Dont know if its been said but the best way to tether and not get that silly upsell page is to use a user-account switcher in the browser you intend to use on whatever device you are tethering. Chrome has extensions for these and they allow me to tether universally.

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I've reached the 2.5GB limit and this does NOT work for me. I've been trying everything :-/ new APN settings, tether toggle widget, different root tether apps, and each time I get redirected to the up-sell page. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why the tethering would have stopped working for you just because you are over the 2.5GB limit. Silly question, but are you sure you have selected the new modified APN setting that you created? The only reason I ask is because, I have an old plan ($5.00 unlimited data with NO tethering) and it still works for me without any issue.

the one thing to remember is that you must use an agent switcher on your computer (unless you are using IE)....I mentioned this and the actual agent switcher apps that I was using for Chrome and FireFox in a previous post in this thread.

Otherwise, I would just delete the APN you created and start over in the step by step instructions. Sorry, I could not be of any more help, I just am not sure what is going wrong with your particular situation. Good luck and let us know if you get it working or need more help.

Reactions: Dravas

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Just thought I'd add that:

IF, you're using FireFox this is the User Agent Overrider that works.

Thanks to the original author and to you for sharing this info.

Cheers.

8) if you are using IE you do not need to use any agent switcher, but if you want to use Chrome or Firefox on your laptop, you will need to use an agent switcher (for Chrome I am using Ultimate Agent Switcher and set to Android 2.3, and FireFox I am using User Agent Overrider set to Chrome30/Android). I don't think it matters which Agent switcher you are using, and I would think that other settings within the agent switcher would work also, but these are the setting I tried first and they are working great for me.

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Just thought I'd add that:

IF, you're using FireFox this is the User Agent Overrider that works.

Thanks to the original author and to you for sharing this info.

Cheers.

Thanks for posting that information once again.

I think this method should work for everyone, but it is real important to follow the steps in setting this up correctly or you could have issues pop up. But the fact that we have to do this just to use our "unlimited" data, is plain silly. Unlimited should mean Unlimited....(stepping down from my soap box now....)

m3latino

Nov 20, 2008

Works fine for me with the toggle and APN settings.

After you create the new APN make sure to reboot your phone then activate the toggle and press the home button before verifying.

Reactions: Veritas Ent

PowerMan572

Oct 30, 2011
Works fine for me with the toggle and APN settings.

After you create the new APN make sure to reboot your phone then activate the toggle and press the home button before verifying.

Well, I broke down and I'm having to use the User Agent extension in Chrome. I was being stubborn and just wanted to be able to turn on my HotSpot and be able to get online. Well the problem is I used up my 2.5GB limit, and I kept getting the up-sell page no matter what.

Well LoL, I should have just tried the user agent in the first place. I didn't realize how easy it is. I just installed the extension, and set the Settings to use "Chrome on Ubuntu" every time I launch the browser. So now no matter if I'm on wifi at home or my Hotspot, everything works as it should and web pages load. I think I can bear having an icon in my Chrome browser to get around the up-sell page :p

njweb

Nov 16, 2013
I can confirm this works.

it appears the MMSC is what verifies your account and they can tell if you have the service or not or if you've reached your limit then they block you.
Using an apn without that and hotspot is live once again.

Also no extra app was even needed just the apn change.

Interesting observation, thanks.

But if MMSC truly is the piece that does the account validation (to see if you have the service or not), how come OP apparently got it working with the new APN which in his case does include the SAME MMSC as T-Mobile's stock APN (as opposed to leaving out the MMSC)?

Using IPv4 (instead of IPv6) is the only change in the OP's method in this thread, as well as one posted in a similar thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49402743

Midnght

Jul 30, 2013
Interesting observation, thanks.

But if MMSC truly is the piece that does the account validation (to see if you have the service or not), how come OP apparently got it working with the new APN which in his case does include the SAME MMSC as T-Mobile's stock APN (as opposed to leaving out the MMSC)?

Using IPv4 (instead of IPv6) is the only change in the OP's method in this thread, as well as one posted in a similar thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49402743

Good question. Maybe it just needs a new APN.
I didn't try it with the url on a new apn.
But it could be something needed for others to make it work.
In short try both methods see what works.

scubadave1

Jan 16, 2014
Thanks for posting that information once again.

I think this method should work for everyone, but it is real important to follow the steps in setting this up correctly or you could have issues pop up. But the fact that we have to do this just to use our "unlimited" data, is plain silly. Unlimited should mean Unlimited....(stepping down from my soap box now....)

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I am having a problem with my T-MO Note3 using this process. I've installed the Hotspot Mobile Toggle Widget & created and selected the new APN and rebooted.

No matter how quickly I hit the home button after launching the Hotspot Mobile Toggle app, the native T-MO mobile hotspot will switch on green and connect. When I browse the Internet on my wifi connected laptop, I will see my Note3 mobile hotspot data usage increment in the settings/data usage, so I assume that this solution is not working for me and will stop working after I hit the 2.5GB cap. I'm using only IE to browse the Internet on my laptop. Any ideas what else I could try to get this working?
Thanks!

tongueman87

Jul 7, 2011
Just wait and see is all I can say I'm in the same boat as you. But the toggle just turns on the native but hitting the home button cancels out the native tether from checking your account at least I think

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

itzmehotsauce

Nov 10, 2007
Hi just tried this method out today seems to be running well and working very well no issues so far and when I check my usage it says I'm over my limit and my tablet is still able to get at least 20th on the down so I think it's good uploadfromtaptalk1390188778880.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

barfingmonkey

Nov 11, 2010
Okay, I went and configured the hotspot via tmobile and connected, tested it and it's fine.
Now when I start the wifi toggle from the widget, the tmobile hotspot app intercepts? basically starts, I hit home, but the red Tmobile hotspot icon appears instantly.

same as ScubaDave

Any suggestions?

old
I never see any pop up. Not working for me. I tried with 2 APNs, one with the mmsc, one without, both with IPV4.

Last edited:

jwoodcapital

Jan 27, 2014
Extreme Noob needs help with UA Switcher

I hear you man I use 10 gigs a day, just use UA switcher set to Safari on chrome and you can tether to your heart's desire. All websites look normal with that setting and Netflix won't give you the download app for mobile message lol. There hasn't been a wifi tether fix for quite some time regardless of the phone as far as I know, its a common request in most forums regardless of device or carrier. Anyway like I said I tether 10 gigs a day using T-Mobile hotspot with no throttling either but according to them they do throttle regular data unless your on the highest data/tether plan. So if you keep the lowest tether plan you can get unlimited tethering with UA switcher or hopefully with a workaround eventually but your data will be throttled at some point for all data unless you bump up your plan.

I'm an extreme noob with this so please bear with me. What is a UA Switcher and where can I get one for the T-Mobile Note 3 N900T? I'm currently rooted with twrp recovery on Jedi Elite 5 ROM. I only rooted and customized ROM to be able to wifi tether for free and so far not a single ROM let's me wifi tether for free. If a UA Switcher would help I'll be greatful.

Thank you,
J

scubadave1

Jan 16, 2014
Okay, I went and configured the hotspot via tmobile and connected, tested it and it's fine.
Now when I start the wifi toggle from the widget, the tmobile hotspot app intercepts? basically starts, I hit home, but the red Tmobile hotspot icon appears instantly.

same as ScubaDave

Any suggestions?

I've had the new custom APN burn in for over a week now, and can report that everything is working great for me. Even though the native Tmo mobile hotspot activates, I'm still able to use the hotspot without my hotspot data usage ever increasing. Now I just launch the Tmo native mobile hotspot, and don't even worry about cancelling out of the authentication pop up, it just works. You can check your hotspot data usage by launching the Tmo My Account app and check your Account Info. Then press the Detailed Usage button to view your hotspot data usage. If you've got the APN configured correctly (as detailed in this thread), and the Hot Spot Toggle Widget installed (don't even know if this app is really necessary, as I haven't tried without it) it should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: barfingmonkey

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Was using the custom APN with foxfi for a bit now and rarely use it. But today I got a text from tmobile to add hotspot or risk not being able to add it at all in the future.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

dobbs3x

Dec 25, 2010
Eugene, OR
So I hit my limit earlier today and tried the apn and wifi toggle steps in this thread and I still get a t mobile redirect when I try to use Chrome on my pc tethered to my note 3. I can get to Facebook, but not other sites. If I recall correctly, I read somewhere about allowing social and news?? sites to go through when reaching limit.

So there is no solution to have the tether work like it's just your regular data? I had that setup on my sprint HTC one and never had a tethering plan with them, the method just used my regular plan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WiFi tethering working on my Note 3 on T-Mobile USA

Okay, I finally got free WiFi tethering working on my Note 3 on T-Mobile USA; here is how I did it:

Please note that this is not my own work, I found the solution on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUhlXiAE3q0

okay so this is how to get it working if you do not want to follow the link above:

1) you do NOT have to be rooted, although my device is rooted
    2) download Hotspot Toggle Widget from the play store
    3) place the Hotspot Toggle Widget on any home screen you desire so that you have access to it quickly
    4) you may or may not want to change the Network SSID and or Security password (I did, but all you need to really know is the SSID and if there is a password, what that password is - I just always change it by habit)
    5) then you need to create a new APN. to do this just (from the home screen) tap setting, more networks, mobile networks, access point names. Then tap the + to add a new APN. You can Name it whatever you like, it is not important. For APN use fast.t-mobile.com, then make sure that APN protocol is set to IPv4 (this is important - or it will not work). You can leave everything else as is.
    6) just a side note, it wanted to make this new APN as similar to the T-mobile original APN as possible without causing a upsell page to appear. So, I did add the MMSC to the following: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc. the original APN from T-mobile also has a setting for APN type (default,mms,supl)...but When I used any part of this setting it would not work, so I just left it with "Not set" and everything worked fine. Then you have to save and select this APN instead of the T-mobile APN. You will also have to restart your phone so that the new APN setting will take affect.
    7) once all this is done just start the hotspot with the hotspot toggle widget, do Not use the hotspot toggle from t-mobile. Once the pop up appears stating something like "Please wait while we verify your account" you will need to tap the home button. and that's it, you will have wifi tether working.
    8) if you are using IE you do not need to use any agent switcher, but if you want to use Chrome or Firefox on your laptop, you will need to use an agent switcher (for Chrome I am using Ultimate Agent Switcher and set to Android 2.3, and FireFox I am using User Agent Overrider set to Chrome30/Android). I don't think it matters which Agent switcher you are using, and I would think that other settings within the agent switcher would work also, but these are the setting I tried first and they are working great for me.

That is all you need to do, you do not even need any VPN and you do not even need to have Tethering as part your data plan. I have an unlimited data plan that cost me $5 each month and it is a grandfathered plan that does NOT have any tethering included.

Good luck and enjoy, Merry Christmas!
    VPN slows the bandwidth down tremendously. I have LTE pulling in at 30Mbps using VPN will lower the speed down to less then 1Mbps.

There is a guide that worked for the S4 about editing customer.xml under /system/csc prolly same way on the Note 3. I'll be extracting the system partition soon. if i have time i will make the mods for you and post it.
    After upgrading to Kit Kat this method no longer works. I had been using it for a few months without issue on 4.3.

Well that is not good news....hmmmm, I wonder if there is a work around. Has anyone else upgraded and lost tethering via this method?

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

okay, after a quick Google search, this is what I found:

http://pocketnow.com/2014/01/20/kitkat-broke-t-mobile-tethering

this is the important part (copy and pasted below) from the link above. Again, this is not my work, just what I found online. Please let us know if this works for you after you have upgraded to Kit Kat.

How to re-enable tethering
    KitKat introduced a new “flag” which the OS sends along to the carrier to indicate whether the data is from a tethered device rather than from the device itself. So far it looks like T-Mobile is the only carrier that is using that flag.

To change things back to the way they were pre-KitKat, all one has to do is change that flag. Doing so isn’t difficult, but it does require that you have a rooted device. If you’re game, here are the steps you’ll need to take:

Back up anything that you don’t want to lose
    OEM Unlock your device (if you have not done so already)
    Root your device (if you have not done so already)
    Using a root file explorer, navigate to /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/ and make a copy of settings.db (this step is optional, but you’ll want a copy, just in case you need to restore it later)
    Install and open a SQL editor and grant it root access when prompted (I purchased SQLite Editor from the Play Store for a few bucks and it’s very easy to use)
    Tap the APPS tab and then “Settings Storage”
    Tap on settings.db then global
    Tap on the + symbol to add a new key/value pair
    In the name field type in tether_dun_required
    In the value field type in 0 (zero)
    Tap Save
    Open the Android system Settings
    Under WIRELESS & NETWORKS tap More…
    Tap Mobile networks then APNs
    Make sure your T-Mobile configuration is selected (mine is T-Mobile GPRS), then tap on it
    Make sure your APN protocol and APN roaming protocol are both set to IPv4 (it doesn’t look like tethering works with IPv6 yet)
    Make sure your APN is set to fast.t-mobile.com
    Reboot
    Enjoy your tethering!
    The steps seem more difficult than they are, and I’m disappointed that Google and T-Mobile are forcing this restriction on people to whom it doesn’t apply. Nonetheless, with a little bit of know-how and rooted device, you can “fix” that oversight. Of course, if it works for you, we want to hear about it! Head down to the comments and let us know!
    I wrote this one my phone so if there any misspelling or things I missed I am sorry. If someone wants to rewrite it so it's easier, or an easier method to achieve the same thing go ahead.

As I mentioned in previous post you will need to turn of T-Mobile Tethering Apn. You will need root to use this app. Download APNS Backup from the playstore.

1.) After installation turn of WiFi before you run the app.
    2.) Now create a backup of your apn.
    3.) Exit the app and goto to settings and edit the apn you had created before to tether with in Android 4.3, under Apn Type add dun. Just save and exit.
    4.) Open the backup apn file you just created with APNS Backup. I used Sqlite Editor. My back up was located in a hidden folder on the sdcard called .APNsBU.
    5.) When the file open choose carrier as the table to open. Now look for T-Mobile Tethering, mine was located all the way at the end. Now select and edit this field. Look for the field carrier enabled and change that value from 1 to 0. Save and exit the db.
    6.) Open up APNS Backup and choose restore. Pick the db file which you just edited. When done let the app reboot your phone.
    7.) Disable WiFi and tether similar to the way you did pre Kitkat upgrade.
    You have "http" twice in your mmsc settings. Is that on purpose or a mistake? (and thanks for the response) I also found out how to check my tethering use. (mytmobileapp). It shows me at 2.6gb since 11:54 this morning. (It's 3:05 EST). We'll see when it updates the time. Thanks for the help so far.

It was by accident thank you.