Search This thread

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
SETUP (USER) GUIDE FOR ZPAD with 3G (SMB-A1002-3G) AKA ZPAD T2

** UPDATED 14th March 2011 **

IMPORTANT NOTES for Zpad
Note 1 - Some software, eg Flash, is not on your ROM (maybe this was installed after manufacture). You need to back up these apps first. I'm not sure of all the apps, as I accidently wiped mine first, thinking they would all be on ROM. Fortunately the only one I did miss was Flash, and this can be added later (see below).

Note 2 - This is NOT my work. It's just the steps I followed to get MY Zpad working the way I wanted it (inc Market and Titanium Backup). People waaay smarter than me worked this out and credit should go to them.

Note 3. This is NOT a ROM, and you don't need to flash a ROM, the Zpad works FAST out of the box (I think Quadrant was 2450 (or 2350) from memory)

Note 4. I setup Wireless and Installed File Expert to access the files I needed from my Windows 7 computer.

1. Install Z4Root Version 1.3.0
This is needed to give you "Admin" Access to your device

1a. Install and Open and follow the steps on screen to Root your Zpad

2. Install Clockworkmod following these instuctions
NOTE: This "formats" your Zpad back to factory settings (your "Admin" access remains)
Original Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865245

2a. Download ClockworkMod v08 (This version has been found to work best...the newer version causes some issues with some ROMs.) There are two versions available; one for installing ClockworkMod from the internal memory, one for installing it from external memory (microSD/microSDHC card). Download from the original thread above. ** EDIT - It's recommended to use the Internal Memory File and remove your MicroSD card during install/setup **

2b. Unzip the file you chose (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder on the storage option of your choice. This is SDCARD on the ZPAD.

2c. Rename the original Recovery Folder, and move the new Recovery folder from the above ZIP to SDCARD (should now be SDCARD\Recovery)

2d. Move update.zip to SDCARD

2e. Turn off your device.

2f. Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Malata splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.

2g. Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

Entering ClockworkMod:
If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod). Thankfully this time it will not automatically restart and wipe everything.

Navigating CWMod:
Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects an option, and the back button backs up.

BACKUP ROM NOW!!!

(I installed Flash at this point, Version 10.1.95.22 seemed the only one that worked for me??)

3. Install Google Apps (including Market)
The file is; gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip. You can download it by following the instructions in the thread below.
Original Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=842590

Note: Some people have experienced problems with the Android/Google Apps Setup Wizard. I think this is related to Wifi only Zpad's? Thanks to Koaby for figuring out you can delete the setupwizard.apk from the cyanogen mod (gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip). This fixes the problem.

Note 2: If you are having problems removing setupwizard.apk check out this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12069069&postcount=70

You only need these instructions
3a. Copy download to SDCARD
3b. Hold volume + and power to boot into recovery (go to "advanced")
3c. Choose, choose zip from sdcard
3d. Choose the zip to be applied as an update
3e. Let Zpad boot and complete GMail Login Details (I had problems here, but my GMail details were stored... not sure why)

4. Fix the Market
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865245 (Part 3, step 3)

4a. Open the Market app. Once it loads close it (press the home button).

4b. Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications – Google Services Framework – Force Stop – Clear Data

4c. Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications – Market – Force Stop – Clear Data

4d. Go back to your home screen and open up the market. You should get an error. If not, redo steps 3 and 4 until you do.

4e. Reboot your device. After it starts back up let it sit for a minute or two to let things in the operating system normalize. Open the Market. Reboot your device.

4f. Open the market again and enjoy. You now have Flash and the Android Market. (Keep in mind, this is not the FULL market, it just makes around 99% of it available. It is unknown which apps are not available. There is a full market fix, but it is MUCH more complicated).

5. IMPROVED MARKET
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861044
(Edited out the bits not needed)

5a. Now you are going to re-do the original Market Fix. First, make sure Market is running, and browse around in it for a few seconds. If you don't do this, there may be no cache to clear and for some reason the market fix may not work. Then, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running and scroll down to Market. Then hit Clear Cache, followed by Force Stop **DO NOT CLEAR DATA FOR MARKET, JUST CACHE**. Then go back, scroll down to Google Services Framework, hit Clear Data, then Force Stop.

5b. Now try starting Market again and you get the famous Market Error. Now shut down the Zpad, then turn it back on. Wait for Wifi to connect to your network before doing anything!

5c. Now restart Market again. ..... Voila! A truly full market!

Applications I use that work on Zpad
Root Explorer - Access to Root Files (not needed for this setup)
Titanuim Backup - to Backup EVERYTHING after I set it up the way I wanted
Astro + Bluetooth Module
File Expert - To access Win7 PC
Spare Parts (version 2.2) - To see battery/cpu use
Pocket Cloud - Access work server
MoreLocale 2 - Set Location to Australia
Button Savior - So I've got buttons on the left side too
Touchdown - Sync with Exchange Server
MSN Talk - In case I gets some mates one day
Dolphin Browser HD, with addons; Google Translate, Tab History and AdBlooker
Launcher Pro - The Zpad interface is not that good
Lookout - Antivirus

I hope this helps, Mal.

Again, all credit to the original posters, I just thought best to share the steps I followed for other Zpad users.

PS: I have the original ROM from my Zpad. Happy to share if anyone can point me to the best place to upload it.

Last edited:

dlnljl

Jan 8, 2011
zpad just wifi no 3g

I,m assuming this works on the zpad without 3g only wifi as well. Could you confirm.
Thanks

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
It should work fine. Just make sure you do a backup before step 3 and you'll always be able to go back to standard.

Once it's all running, set it up the way you like, eg mail, apps etc, then install Titanium Backup an get a backup of your settings and apps.

Now if something ever goes wrong you'll be able to go back to your apps and settings or worst case back to Factory settings.

dlnljl

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks but issue

Hello
Thanks for your update. I followed your instructions and get to the welcome screen after installing the apps. It states touch the android to begin, which I do it clicks but nothing happens. Any suggestions.

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
I think from memory there was a "next" button that appeared on the bottom right, I think? It's just the GApps setup I think and I'm pretty sure you can skip it too. If not, try a reset again through clockwork. That's what I did and it seemed to work the second time??

If you have an SD Card in, try removing that and doing it again too.

Cheers, Mal.

dlnljl

Jan 8, 2011
Hello again

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately I can't get passed the touch the android button. bottom right is a button to change language, and bottom left is a button for emergency call.
Reloaded it about 10 times now and no luck. If you think of something let me know.

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
You did touch the Android Man in the middle right (sorry if you have just thought I'd check).

You could try plugging in a USB mouse, something has gone weird with your touch screen I think???

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
Can you talk me through what happened?

You installed clockworkmod, backed up the ROM, then let the system boot. Did everything work at this point?

Then you copied the gapps and rebooted but entering recovery this time. You selected the gapps zip and let it boot. This is where its got to the Android man and you couldn't get past right??

koaby

Sep 15, 2010
Caguas
www.koaby.net
Yes, I try to bypass the ANDROID man welcome but nothing seems to work I redo all the steps several times now. I long press the home and acces app killer, even go to setting an try to shutdown all running apps but nothing happen. Mine is the SMB-1002-WIFI model. all help will be appreciated. And thanks

koaby

Sep 15, 2010
Caguas
www.koaby.net
Yes I did connect to the WIFI with no problem, really fast indeed. I also have acces to the system settings by long press the home butom, but cannot go by the android man everything else is hid behind

2manytoys

Jan 7, 2005
Sydney
www.commsys.com.au
I think the Android man is the google apps setup wizard. Maybe I had my gmail setup already and that's why it seemed to work?? Give that a try if you can?

I think I forced closed the setup wizard on mine and that seemed to work too.

Let me know.

Reactions: wnbowman

Jonesie18

Dec 30, 2010
Backup of Rom

Hi,

Are you able to post a copy of a backup of your original Rom as I only have the chinese version and I don't know how to use the 3g.

Thanks

Jonesie

SnakeManJayd

Jan 15, 2011
hotfile.com seems to have an upload limit of 400MB.
And you can download free. It's like rapidshare, only seems to have faster download.

koaby

Sep 15, 2010
Caguas
www.koaby.net
I try everything, but nothing seems to work. All the apps run smoothly behind the "Android men" (SetupWizard)
I Force Stop Setup wizard - when try to go home setup wizard start again
any ideas are welcome

koaby

Sep 15, 2010
Caguas
www.koaby.net
Yes I do with no succes.

I came up with a cheap solution.

First I delete the setupwizard.apk from the cyanogen mod (gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip)

I follow your guide step by step *include the installation of flash

Infamous "Android Man" is no more!

I create a google account, No problem

So far everything is working. I will keep you updated

Reactions: 2manytoys

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    SETUP (USER) GUIDE FOR ZPAD with 3G (SMB-A1002-3G) AKA ZPAD T2

** UPDATED 14th March 2011 **

IMPORTANT NOTES for Zpad
    Note 1 - Some software, eg Flash, is not on your ROM (maybe this was installed after manufacture). You need to back up these apps first. I'm not sure of all the apps, as I accidently wiped mine first, thinking they would all be on ROM. Fortunately the only one I did miss was Flash, and this can be added later (see below).

Note 2 - This is NOT my work. It's just the steps I followed to get MY Zpad working the way I wanted it (inc Market and Titanium Backup). People waaay smarter than me worked this out and credit should go to them.

Note 3. This is NOT a ROM, and you don't need to flash a ROM, the Zpad works FAST out of the box (I think Quadrant was 2450 (or 2350) from memory)

Note 4. I setup Wireless and Installed File Expert to access the files I needed from my Windows 7 computer.

1. Install Z4Root Version 1.3.0
    This is needed to give you "Admin" Access to your device

1a. Install and Open and follow the steps on screen to Root your Zpad

2. Install Clockworkmod following these instuctions
    NOTE: This "formats" your Zpad back to factory settings (your "Admin" access remains)
    Original Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865245

2a. Download ClockworkMod v08 (This version has been found to work best...the newer version causes some issues with some ROMs.) There are two versions available; one for installing ClockworkMod from the internal memory, one for installing it from external memory (microSD/microSDHC card). Download from the original thread above. ** EDIT - It's recommended to use the Internal Memory File and remove your MicroSD card during install/setup **

2b. Unzip the file you chose (cwmod_internal.zip OR cwmod_microsd.zip) to the root folder on the storage option of your choice. This is SDCARD on the ZPAD.

2c. Rename the original Recovery Folder, and move the new Recovery folder from the above ZIP to SDCARD (should now be SDCARD\Recovery)

2d. Move update.zip to SDCARD

2e. Turn off your device.

2f. Press the power button and the Volume+ button at the same time and release them when the Malata splash screen pops up. You should see "Detect a recovery key pressed" pop up in the upper left corner of the screen.

2g. Watch ClockworkMod install. This will not take long. Your tablet will reboot when installation is complete. Nothing will look different unless you enter ClockworkMod by following the steps below…

Entering ClockworkMod:
    If you want to get into ClockworkMod you need to shut down your device, then press the Power and Volume+ button (the same way you did to install ClockworkMod). Thankfully this time it will not automatically restart and wipe everything.

Navigating CWMod:
    Vol+ and Vol- are to scroll up and down, the home button selects an option, and the back button backs up.

BACKUP ROM NOW!!!

(I installed Flash at this point, Version 10.1.95.22 seemed the only one that worked for me??)

3. Install Google Apps (including Market)
    The file is; gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip. You can download it by following the instructions in the thread below.
    Original Thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=842590

Note: Some people have experienced problems with the Android/Google Apps Setup Wizard. I think this is related to Wifi only Zpad's? Thanks to Koaby for figuring out you can delete the setupwizard.apk from the cyanogen mod (gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip). This fixes the problem.

Note 2: If you are having problems removing setupwizard.apk check out this post http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=12069069&postcount=70

You only need these instructions
    3a. Copy download to SDCARD
    3b. Hold volume + and power to boot into recovery (go to "advanced")
    3c. Choose, choose zip from sdcard
    3d. Choose the zip to be applied as an update
    3e. Let Zpad boot and complete GMail Login Details (I had problems here, but my GMail details were stored... not sure why)

4. Fix the Market
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=865245 (Part 3, step 3)

4a. Open the Market app. Once it loads close it (press the home button).

4b. Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications – Google Services Framework – Force Stop – Clear Data

4c. Go into Settings – Applications – Manage Applications – Market – Force Stop – Clear Data

4d. Go back to your home screen and open up the market. You should get an error. If not, redo steps 3 and 4 until you do.

4e. Reboot your device. After it starts back up let it sit for a minute or two to let things in the operating system normalize. Open the Market. Reboot your device.

4f. Open the market again and enjoy. You now have Flash and the Android Market. (Keep in mind, this is not the FULL market, it just makes around 99% of it available. It is unknown which apps are not available. There is a full market fix, but it is MUCH more complicated).

5. IMPROVED MARKET
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861044
    (Edited out the bits not needed)

5a. Now you are going to re-do the original Market Fix. First, make sure Market is running, and browse around in it for a few seconds. If you don't do this, there may be no cache to clear and for some reason the market fix may not work. Then, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running and scroll down to Market. Then hit Clear Cache, followed by Force Stop **DO NOT CLEAR DATA FOR MARKET, JUST CACHE**. Then go back, scroll down to Google Services Framework, hit Clear Data, then Force Stop.

5b. Now try starting Market again and you get the famous Market Error. Now shut down the Zpad, then turn it back on. Wait for Wifi to connect to your network before doing anything!

5c. Now restart Market again. ..... Voila! A truly full market!

Applications I use that work on Zpad
    Root Explorer - Access to Root Files (not needed for this setup)
    Titanuim Backup - to Backup EVERYTHING after I set it up the way I wanted
    Astro + Bluetooth Module
    File Expert - To access Win7 PC
    Spare Parts (version 2.2) - To see battery/cpu use
    Pocket Cloud - Access work server
    MoreLocale 2 - Set Location to Australia
    Button Savior - So I've got buttons on the left side too
    Touchdown - Sync with Exchange Server
    MSN Talk - In case I gets some mates one day
    Dolphin Browser HD, with addons; Google Translate, Tab History and AdBlooker
    Launcher Pro - The Zpad interface is not that good
    Lookout - Antivirus

I hope this helps, Mal.

Again, all credit to the original posters, I just thought best to share the steps I followed for other Zpad users.

PS: I have the original ROM from my Zpad. Happy to share if anyone can point me to the best place to upload it.
    I think the Android man is the google apps setup wizard. Maybe I had my gmail setup already and that's why it seemed to work?? Give that a try if you can?

I think I forced closed the setup wizard on mine and that seemed to work too.

Let me know.
    Yes I do with no succes.

I came up with a cheap solution.

First I delete the setupwizard.apk from the cyanogen mod (gapps-mdpi-tegra-20101020-signed.zip)

I follow your guide step by step *include the installation of flash

Infamous "Android Man" is no more!

I create a google account, No problem

So far everything is working. I will keep you updated
    I've got a Stock Malata T2 Zpad ROM (with 3G) from my device. I uploaded it to Hotfile but it was removed as copyright????? Is it really copyright?

Anyway, I'll try to upload it again, but if anyone has another place I could upload it to I'm happy to try that.
    Malata T2 Zpad 3G Stock ROM

Guys, here is my ROM, uploaded again. Let me know if it works. Remember, it doesn't have Flash or the market but it can be added pretty easily. It's a Stock (from the factory) ROM

http://hotfile.com/dl/109361537/377319d/Malata_Zpad_Dec_2010_ROM.zip.html

Let me know if the link stops working.