New firmware update for aftv!!

Search This thread

deanemj

May 2, 2014
Lost it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn! That's a bummer. Hopefully (probably?) jcase's exploit will be released soon to get you back up and running. Did you forget to disable the OTA updates using the terminal?

Maybe try running TR again just to see if it still works?

Xavier000

Jun 14, 2014
Wow!!used towelroot and worked again with the new update!!! Stickmount too!!! Everithing is more faster and stable now!! Will keep testing to see changes

deanemj

May 2, 2014
Wow!!used towelroot and worked again with the new update!!! Stickmount too!!! Everithing is more faster and stable now!! Will keep testing to see changes

Whew! Happy to hear it. I'm gonna hold off on updating but I'm glad your box is freed once again. :)

Xavier000

Jun 14, 2014
51.1.1.0. User 511069920 Everithing is faster, no more buffering, fps way better, im surprised about the buffering part!!smoother

Xavier000

Jun 14, 2014
I did not, was going to do it but when i got home there was an update avaliable

Shinyhead

Jun 18, 2010
Fullerton
Hmmmm.....wonder if it is worth updating for that smoother performance or easier to buy another ftv for upstairs lol....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

rbox

Recognized Developer
Apr 22, 2011
Whoever got the update can try searching for amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net in /sdcard/logcat.txt

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
Whoever got the update can try searching for amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite.net in /sdcard/logcat.txt

I'm pretty sure that was only updated on the launch day ota. For example, my /sdcard/logcat.text showed no signs off the second ota URL. So maybe they disabled that logging after the first update?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
Is there a way to get parts of the update excluding the root patches?

Will JCase have anything to say about it?

Also,give us the bootloader unlocker ASAP stat!
...Please?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got it! I've been pumping my Fire TV traffic through Wireshark AND dumping logcat in real time all morning.

Software Update URL is: http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuit...ueller-ota-51.1.1.0_user_511069920-signed.bin

The file gets downloaded directly to /cache, so you could try putting it there and restarting to see if that triggers it to install.
    I tried changing it in the default.prop in the recovery, and dd'd it back, but it didn't boot the recovery. I guess the unpack/repack tools I used don't actually work correctly. But at least I was able to dd back the original recovery and that still works :)

know of any tools that actually work to decompile the recovery.img and then rebuild the image correctly?

Not sure if the locked bootloader allows unsigned recovery images. But any android kernel unpack/pack script should do it. I've never tried repacking a kernel/recovery before.

EDIT: So I just tried repacking it myself and I got nothing.

EDIT2: Well that was interesting. If I unpack the recovery image and repack it without changing anything in the ramdisk, it works. So I'm going to have to experiment a little.

I am using bootimg_tools_7.8.13.zip and to repack I am using the command:

Code:
    mkbootimg --kernel recovery/zImage --ramdisk recovery/ramdisk.cpio.gz --cmdline 'androidboot.hardware=qcom user_debug=31 msm_rtb.filter=0x3F ehci-hcd.park=3 maxcpus=2' --base 0x80200000 --pagesize 2048 --ramdiskaddr 0x82200000 -o recovery-new.img

EDIT3: Ok, so if I use the original ramdisk that was unpacked, it works. If I try to repack the extracted ramdisk it fails. I did notice my repacked ramdisk was a lot bigger, so I'm going to try to figure out what the differnece is.
    Mine updated. Here's the new stuff I notice.

A Prime Video tab has been added above movies. Sections include

recently added prime tv
    recently added prime movies
    recommended prime tv
    recommended prime movies
    hbo on prime instant video
    prime member exclusives
    top tv on prime
    top movies on prime
    kids tv on prime
    prime tv genres
    prime movie genres

Freetime has been added below video library. You have the ability to hide it if you're not interested.

Music has been added above photos. Gives you access to everything in your Cloud Player. Voice search works. Doesn't include Prime Music content. Every section has a shuffle all songs feature.

Settings. Display And Sounds has been moved to it's own section.
    Parental Controls has a 'create a freetime profile' thing added.
    Amazon Appstore settings has been added under Applications. You can turn on or off Automatic Updates and In-App Purchases
    Quiet time finally has an explanation 'Turn on to hide all application notifications'

And that seems to be it :good:
    do we know if amazon updated the AFTV bootloader?

I only saw in this thread that root is possible in the new update, but not a single word about bootloader. We know that there is a exploit out there to unlock AFTV bootloader, so i think that until we have confirmation that amazon didn't patch recovery i suggest not update the box...
    Got it! I've been pumping my Fire TV traffic through Wireshark AND dumping logcat in real time all morning.

Software Update URL is: http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuit...ueller-ota-51.1.1.0_user_511069920-signed.bin

The file gets downloaded directly to /cache, so you could try putting it there and restarting to see if that triggers it to install.

I think the best way to try to manually update it would be to put the download in /cache/ then adb reboot recovery. The recovery only seems to look for an update file at /cache, so that will probably manually update it.

edit: I'm not going to try it just yet, since I'm not sure if I want to update just yet. But I may try this with the older OTA and see if it allows us to flash back to older builds as well.
    edit2: I didn't work for me with the first OTA (seeing if I could downgrade). recovery said update was not successful. One thing to note, if you chmod 777 cache, upon next reboot it will be reset back to stock permissions.