[APP][Android 2.1+] Ray Sidebar Launcher 1.2.1 | 12.Nov.2013 | the best multitasking

Search This thread

TopperBG

Oct 17, 2012
Bulgaria
Xiaomi Mi 9
The sidebar is amazing!
But I found a bit strange behaviour - when the Sidebar is open, never mind I press Home button, the home not shown ?
Oh btw how to delete an icon from sidebar ?
Ups I found, mighty Search helps ....indeed little strange action for delete but whatever it's nice :)

Last edited:

Socko'Pack

Mar 5, 2012
I really love this app and bought a pro version. Finally an app with option to change icon pack also it's fast and clean.
I'd like to ask for option to manually change app icons. Please add this option if you can. Cheers!

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 4 przy użyciu Tapatalk

palkia171993

Aug 3, 2011
Hồ Chí Minh City
Sorry it took long to give feedback to the app. I've been trying this app for several days. To be honest, it was up until today that I start to find the app useful mostly because I didn't have any need for multitasking up until now, and accessing app from Ray sidebar is actually faster than Recent app panel.
There are few things I need that free ver don't have but Pro ver do (sadly I don't have bank account to buy app, otherwise I would have purchased it from the start). I still gonna list them + some suggestions :silly: :
  1. I hope free ver will also have option to set sidebar to the right side, b/c I'm using Z1 launcher with left swipe setting (you know what I mean) and left side Ray, so sometimes when I want to access Ray, I accidentally get Z1 launcher setting. (I'd already config swipe area but still sometimes swipe wrong by mistake)
  2. Since Ray is good for multitasking, I think if you could add any indication icon of currently running in background app or recently opened app. And maybe with more development, this app can totally replace default recent - multitasking panel.
  3. Finally, sure hope it get more optimise to be lighter, consume less ram (even a couple of mb is good for my old device :p)

What I like about the app: ability to add action icon like app drawer and other toggles, add shortcut of greenify (I don't necessarily put it on homescreen now - save for some look :p), access Ray is already pretty quick, any other customisation are welcome. To sum up, it is a very nice app, keep up your good work. :good:

Last edited:

wsetyo

Oct 12, 2011
thanks for such a great app ...

but i wondering how to add an app into folder, i try few trick but still cannot add app into folder that i create in sidebar.
i'm using the free version of this app.
thanks in advance ...

Dragonkind

Aug 4, 2012
Chureki
Some suggestion

Hey, do you wanna give a accuracy multi-languages UI ?

I can help you for Traditional Han (zh-rTW) again ! (may also CN, HK)

And I have another question, could you make another awesome launcher like Advanced Xperia Z Launcher ?

Maybe this time you can try the Rosie.apk, which is HTC Sense Launcher ?

You can remove the Blinkfeed, and make it a launcher-only.

I guess that will be also popular as AXZL and RSL !

Always love your work~

ra3al

Oct 21, 2010
Sofia
Sony Xperia XZ1
Dear all, 1.2.0 is now available and this is the change log:
Code:
[B]1.2.0 (10.Nov.2013):[/B]
- Revamped Edit mode interface for removing/arranging items and renaming folders
- Edit mode performance optimizations
- Added (Ray Pro only): user selectable icons for apps, shortcuts, actions
- Reorganized settings
- Improved tutorials
- Fixed (Android 2.1 to 4.0): Pressing the Home button does nothing when the sidebar is open
- Fixed (Android 2.X): Bad sidebar size after folder rename
- Fixed (Android 2.X): Swipe area not visualized properly
- Compiled with Android 4.4 KitKat SDK
- Stability improvements

thanks for such a great app ...
but i wondering how to add an app into folder, i try few trick but still cannot add app into folder that i create in sidebar.
i'm using the free version of this app.
thanks in advance ...

To add an apps/shortcuts/actions to a folder:
1. Add the folder (in the free version of Ray you can add only one folder)
2. Tap the folder to open it
3. Add items to the folder by tapping the (+) button (just like you add items outside of the folder

This has now been added to the tutorials (in 1.2.0)

Hey, do you wanna give a accuracy multi-languages UI ?

I can help you for Traditional Han (zh-rTW) again ! (may also CN, HK)

And I have another question, could you make another awesome launcher like Advanced Xperia Z Launcher ?

Maybe this time you can try the Rosie.apk, which is HTC Sense Launcher ?

You can remove the Blinkfeed, and make it a launcher-only.

I guess that will be also popular as AXZL and RSL !

Always love your work~

Yes, I am planning to add multi-language support and it would be great if you want to help with it!.
About HTC Sense - I am currently quite busy with other tasks, maybe in sometime in the future I'll have a look at it, but can't promise anything right now.

fabio000

Jul 19, 2010
Mauá
Great app, one of the best sidebars I tested so far...
I think a "blacklist" option in the sidebar would be really useful to not accidentally swipe and make the sidebar appear when playing a game or in a custom lockscreen, can this be implemented? just a sugestion...

Last edited:

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
@ra3al app getting force close constantly. i am using galaxy y duos gt-s6102,stock 2.3.6. logcat attached.

it's a great sidebar app i've ever seen. btw can you plz add an option to indicate the running apps? it would be cool.

Attachments

• alogcat.2014-02-18-12-57-53+0600.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 8

ra3al

Oct 21, 2010
Sofia
Sony Xperia XZ1
@ra3al app getting force close constantly. i am using galaxy y duos gt-s6102,stock 2.3.6. logcat attached.

it's a great sidebar app i've ever seen. btw can you plz add an option to indicate the running apps? it would be cool.

Hi, from where did you download the app? Unfortunately the logcat you attached does not explain what's the reason for the crash. Can you capture another one, after first rebooting your device.
Thanks.

Reactions: killoid

killoid

Feb 5, 2013
Hi, from where did you download the app? Unfortunately the logcat you attached does not explain what's the reason for the crash. Can you capture another one, after first rebooting your device.
Thanks.

thanks for ur reply.actually i got it from my friend,idk where had he got it from..btw i have attached another log.

Attachments

• alogcat.2014-03-18-12-04-14+0600.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 14

ra3al

Oct 21, 2010
Sofia
Sony Xperia XZ1
thanks for ur reply.actually i got it from my friend,idk where had he got it from..btw i have attached another log.

You can try using the attachment in the first post of this thread ;).

Logcat is still not very informative, but it seems like an XPosed module on your device (XPrivacy) tries to do something with the app, so this Xposed module might be causing the crash.

Reactions: khriztianjs

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [Android 2.1+] Ray Sidebar Launcher

CoVtz23.png

Stylish and extremely easy to use, Ray lets you access and multitask between your favorite apps and from anywhere by simply swiping your finger from the edge of the screen. Ray and its premium version (Ray Pro) have clean minimalistic design and all the functionalities you need to customize your tailor-made, fast and hassle-free multitasking sidebar.

Features include:
    - Add your favorite apps and shortcuts
    - Add "actions" such as: app drawer, toggle Wi-Fi, toggle mobile data, screen brightness, etc.
    - Organize your items (apps, shortcuts and actions) in folders*
    - Easily rearrange items and remove unwanted ones
    - Option to remain open after launching apps and shortcuts - for even faster multi-tasking
    - Many others

*The free version of Ray is limited to 8 items or 7 items + 1 folder with up to 8 additional items in the folder

Ray Pro additional features:
    - No advertising button (“Free apps”)
    - Unlimited number of apps, shortcuts, actions and folders
    - Choose between left or right sidebar alignment
    - Adjust the text size and color of the item labels
    - Add “Running apps” action with task management functionality (kill unwanted apps)
    - Icon pack support (load app icons from ADW, Apex, Nova and some Go Launcher themes and icon packs)
    - Unread counts for: missed calls, unread SMS and emails as well as any app that displays notifications, including: WhatsApp, Facebook, Skype, Viber, etc.

Ray on Google Play Store

Ray Pro on Google Play Store

Follow my future projects: here
    I just purchased the Pro version of your sidebar launcher to test it out, because I love the quick access launchers of this type. Just a couple of things that I would like to see added...... First is the "Width" of the Sidebar feature only lets me reduce it to a certain width and stops, but when you open the sidebar the icons are almost half that width in size. I would like to shrink/reduce the sidebar width down very thin, to just about the width of the smallest icons that show. If you put the width slider all the way down to the smallest point, it should then go just a little bit further.
    Also, I mainly decided to try your sidebar because of the "Folder" option. Most sidebars don't allow the setup of folders, I really like this option, but I was disappointed when I found that I could NOT set a Custom Icon for the Folder itself. The sidebar allows using Icon Sets, but I can't select a custom icon for the Folder. Please add this Feature to allow us to choose our Folder icons. it would really complete this app.
    The last thing I noticed was a problem....the instructions mentioned something about long pressing an icon then swiping out of the sidebar to Delete the icon. This does NOT work for me at all. I have not found any way whatsoever, to Delete an app icon that I already placed in the bar.
    or am I missing something.........
    I'll post again after using this for a little while.

Thanks for your support and feedback!

About the option to use custom folder icons - I am almost done with implementing this feature - it will be available in the next version together with a couple of bug fixes - I will release it today or tomorrow.

For sidebar width - I am also going to improve it in the next version - please let me know if it's OK, after the you try the updated version.

For deleting items - when trying to swipe away the item you want to delete, are you putting your finger on the grabber handle button? If so, that's the reason it does not work for you (the grabber handle can only be used for moving an item up or down in the list). You have to put your finger on the app/shortcut/etc. icon.
    Maybe I should make a short video that shows how to delete items and somehow improve the tutorial.

Hi ra3al,

First thanks for this wonderfull sidebar launcher!

I am testing it and found very usefull, but I think that you should add also the possibility to have a dock bar (by default available) and this will be the future laucher: most used apps on dock like phone, sms and app drawer, and favourite apps and shorcuts in sidebar.

Without that option everyone will keep his launcher...

What do you think?

Thanks for your suggestion. Do you mean - a horizontal sidebar (bottombar) that will be activated by swiping from the bottom? Or one that is constantly visible?
    I mean have the possibility to have a bottombar that could:
    - by default: be visible (fixed on bottom like other launchers) without the needs of swiping from the bottom
    - have the possibility to not be visible and needs swiping from the bottom to appears
    - have the possibility to not be available

If you implement the bottombar, you should also add an option to slidbar not be available also! ;)

Thanks

I might add this feature or something similar in a future version ;) I also want to add an option to have widgets in another sidebar (in the Pro version) in the future.

Meanwhile, I have released an update for both Ray and Ray Pro
    This is the change log:
    1.1.0 (18.Oct.2013):
    - Added: option to automatically close the sidebar after a specified time of inactivity
    - Added: user selectable folder icon backgrounds (circle, rounded rectangle, rectangle and custom)
    - Fixed: unable to change sidebar background color while in landscape mode
    - Fixed: flashlight not working on Nexus 10 and other devices
    - Fixed: Android 4.3+ only: Tapping on notification not opening app settings
    - Changed: icon margins now depend on the selected sidebar width
    - Changed: smaller minimum for sidebar width
    Thanks to dev for amazing app - that's what I miss on my device!
    But I have a prob when type somewhere with software keyboard (I've just decide that must re-calibrate screen but suddenly realize what's happens).
    Far left side of keyboard like letters A, Q and number 1 are NOT USABLE because they are under the sidebar ?
    It's checked and approved if I close Sidebar keyboard works as expected.
    Please @ra3al solve this little but frustrating bug.
    Change log:
    Code:
    [B]1.2.1 (12.Nov.2013):[/B]
    - Added: links to an extensive online tutorial and FAQ under Settings -> Help
    - Fixed: Changes after renaming folders or selecting custom icons do not show up immediately
    - Fixed (Ray Pro only): The short general tutorial tells the user to swipe from the left edge of the screen, even if sidebar position is set to Right

[B]1.2.0 (10.Nov.2013):[/B]
    - Revamped Edit mode interface for removing/arranging items and renaming folders
    - Edit mode performance optimizations
    - Added (Ray Pro only): user selectable icons for apps, shortcuts, actions
    - Reorganized settings
    - Improved tutorials
    - Fixed (Android 2.1 to 4.0): Pressing the Home button does nothing when the sidebar is open
    - Fixed (Android 2.X): Bad sidebar size after folder rename
    - Fixed (Android 2.X): Swipe area not visualized properly
    - Compiled with Android 4.4 KitKat SDK
    - Stability improvements

[B]1.1.1 (20.Oct.2013):[/B]
    - Fixed: Problems with swipe area height on Aquos Phone Serie SHL22 and other devices.

[B]1.1.0 (17.Oct.2013):[/B]
    - Added: option to automatically close the sidebar after a specified time of inactivity
    - Added: user selectable folder icon backgrounds (circle, rounded rectangle, rectangle and custom)
    - Fixed: unable to change sidebar background color while in landscape mode
    - Fixed: flashlight not working on Nexus 10 and other devices
    - Fixed: Android 4.3+ only: Tapping on notification not opening app settings
    - Changed: icon margins now depend on the selected sidebar width
    - Changed: smaller minimum for sidebar width

[B]1.0.0 (12.Oct.2013):[/B]
    Initial release