[REQ] for developers - Finger Print lock Apps

Search This thread

shadowscreation

Jan 30, 2010
blanchard, ok
"Clearly some people on this thread don't understand what's going on here. So let me break it down....

........you don't want your GF or wife to see the chic you've been bangin's nude photo in your phone."

*grin* The premise of your post made me laugh hard.

On a real note, I think this kind of application would be awesome. I too use appprotector, and I used to use the fingerprint scanner, but it just became bothersome to use everytime I locked my phone and had to unlock it. I don't have anything to hide on my phone, but I do lock my "SU" folder that contains all of my root tools. I have a 12 yo at home, and she could very easily mess something up without knowing it. I think the idea of locking certains apps with the fingerprint scanner is a fantastic idea, and I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for it for sure.

Actually, a whole utility for the fingerprint scanner on the Atrix that allowed you to do multiple things with it would be great.

Like was posted previously, it would be nice to have guest accounts (for wife and child etc), and with a fingerprint swipe, they wouldn't even have to login..swipe and go.

anyone at all actually posted any of this on the motorola forums maybe they will do something about it after all they created the phone lol:rolleyes: so of course they should be able to have that in the next update righ:rolleyes:

CaelanT

And here I am! (Sorry for taking some time to get back to this)

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

If I do end up doing anything with it I'll post back.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

FYI for everyone...........for passwords I use KeePass which has all my logins, passwords, membership info, etc. I keep the password file in my dropbox, so it's never stored on my phone, although it is encrypted anyway, and any time I want access to my passwords I just go into my dropbox, select the encrypted KeePass file, and I input my password to allow me access. KePass resides on my phone, but I never actually have to open the actual application, as it auto opens when the encrypted file is selected. I use dropbox so that I can access the password file from anywhere on any device.

The company I work for has a high level of security for data, and the global security group advises KeePass for password retention and encryption.

Hope this helps some folks out!

Reactions: toughbax

joeavery2

Nov 9, 2007
I fourth or tenth or what ever the count is on this :)
I'd like to point out that iOS 5 (wwdc11) they talked about the concept of widget unlocker where by if you opened the camera app from the lock screen that you are forced back to the lockscreen after you were done with the camera. I have to say that this is the right angle to take on this (as much as it pains me to say anything good about apple).

I'm not bashing the Devs of widget unlocker but the current implementation of the finger print scanner is kinda a joke. You unlock with your fingerprint of pin then it takes you to the widget unlocker screen.

Don't get this wrong either. I realize that the fingerprint is not going to protect against thief's but forcing them to do a factory reset or plugging in a computer. If nothing else giving me time to use Motoblur or lookout to wipe the phone or locate it. And for every day stuff the kids can get to this or that and not to make a call to china or open the browser..

I have seen a few people point out the idea of a app that would allow the locking and unlocking of each app, sort of a security layer between the UI and the apps them self's. This would be even better then a widget unlocker in my opinion because I could then turn off the fingerprint unlock and just apply the feature to say the dialer or the Gallery. Therefore restricting access to the apps but allowing access to the phone, and the launcher.

Just my thought, sorry it's long.

Slade8525

this would be great; i often let friends borrow my phone as well as colleagues and others in business; i do not want them snooping around my emails and SMS/MMS messages as that could cost me contracts and would violate non disclosure agreements etc, but things like my portfolio or sample work i would have no problem letting them play with.

when i bought the atrix thats the reason i thought it had a fingerprint scanner, so i could lock out sensitive areas of the phone. kind of irritating its just a screen lock.

the_psykloz

Jan 31, 2011
Fresno
Occasionally I leave my phone laying around or let other people play with it, but it's getting very tedious having to lock it all the time. Anyone up for creating a app that will let me lock certain portions/apps on the phone (ie. SMS, gallery, etc.) using the built in finger print scanner?
i am the hero this thread needs. check out DataDefender(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authentec.datadefender&hl=en) and im sure you will be pleased, sir/ma'am

if i helped you. hit the thanks button @)

Last edited:

Alcapone263

Jul 28, 2011
Yokosuka, Japan
Reactions: ifalldownalot

the_psykloz

Jan 31, 2011
Fresno
Thanks for reviving a nine month dead thread to post about an app that's already mentioned about a thousand times in these forums.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium
i know. im bored ass hell. figured id put the answer for those who look on this thread and not the others.thanks for the wonderful disrespect when im trying to help. your the best....

Last edited:

ifalldownalot

Jun 13, 2011
Southern California
Thanks for reviving a nine month dead thread to post about an app that's already mentioned about a thousand times in these forums.

Sent from my MB860 using xda premium

yes, thank you psykloz for reviving this thread. I honestly did not know about the datadefender app.

downloaded it and am using it now.

again, thanks!

you, alcapone, I accidentally thanked.

Reactions: the_psykloz

tomh235

Dec 2, 2010
You do realise that data defender is ridiculously insecure, you can just uninstall it to get to the protected apps :-(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

skakz

Jul 4, 2010
would be nice to have an application that crypts/encrypts a simple text file through the fingerprint sensor..

klobass

Dec 15, 2009
Miui

Hello.
Actually this exact functionality is on MIUI roms.. I was using it for a long time on SGS to get just some apps protected (pattern) or set of apps while in "restricted/visitor" mode and it was working amazingly well.
When i bought MAtrix i was little bit disappointed when i found out that fingerprint is not working in miui roms and therefore i still have to use pattern.

Incognitum

Mar 23, 2011
AK
I've been waiting since I bought the device for lastpass to allow FP swipe instead of entering master password each time. Perhaps I can rig something up between lastpass and datadefender... maybe throw some taskr between them.

shenoyh

Jun 1, 2007
You do realise that data defender is ridiculously insecure, you can just uninstall it to get to the protected apps :-(

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

If you set Gogole Play itself to be protected by datadefender, then you cannot uninstall it without a fingerprint scan. So that way it makes the whole thing secure.

tomh235

Dec 2, 2010
If you set Gogole Play itself to be protected by datadefender, then you cannot uninstall it without a fingerprint scan. So that way it makes the whole thing secure.

Unfortunately I don't think you can secure the package manager so even if you lock the settings, you can just long press data defender in the app list to remove it. If it ran as an administrative process, you could just secure the settings and your phone would be much more secure.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

shenoyh

Jun 1, 2007
Yeah, you are right - it does not lock package manager though it locks Google Play. I used SmartApp protector to lock Package Manager and DataDefender and DataDefender to lock all the other apps including Play Store which is used more frequently and can be fingerprint unlocked. So now its hopefully "air tight"...a little round-about method by using two apps to do the same job, but works.

Unfortunately I don't think you can secure the package manager so even if you lock the settings, you can just long press data defender in the app list to remove it. If it ran as an administrative process, you could just secure the settings and your phone would be much more secure.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: tomh235

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I emailed the developer of Widget Locker since he seems to be fiddling with the Finger Print Scanner on the Atrix to see if he's interested in making a separate app for this.

What I'm doing from WidgetLocker is piggy backing on the system security, so I don't interface with the fingerprint scanner directly. However I have looked into this as it could be interesting for WidgetLocker to be able to use in more ways, and potentially another separate app like discussed here.

I've seen the other thread about the password keeper and this one about an app-lock type thing. The issue with a password keeper is that the passwords should be stored encrypted, otherwise if someone stole your phone they'd just need to root if (if it's not already) and they'd be able to get all your password. But encrypting the passwords with a key that's stored somewhere is really just adding a few extra steps, they're not truly protected. Normally they'd be encrypted with your password, and only decryptable with you typing the password again. But I don't think this could be done for the fingerprint scanner due to what information is available (And how the fingerprint information is stored on disk). I could be wrong however.

As for the app-locker thing, there are also security issues here, but I think app-lockers are more used as a deterrent than as real security. To lock out your friend rather than a thief. But there's a fair amount of non-fingerprint related work to be done for this kind of app as well.

Keep the thread bumped, add some other keywords such a biometric scanner, fingerprints, fingerprint scanner, etc. (I myself didn't find this when searching), post the same on other forums, that's all you can do really!
    Occasionally I leave my phone laying around or let other people play with it, but it's getting very tedious having to lock it all the time. Anyone up for creating a app that will let me lock certain portions/apps on the phone (ie. SMS, gallery, etc.) using the built in finger print scanner?
    i am the hero this thread needs. check out DataDefender(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.authentec.datadefender&hl=en) and im sure you will be pleased, sir/ma'am

if i helped you. hit the thanks button @)

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

FYI for everyone...........for passwords I use KeePass which has all my logins, passwords, membership info, etc. I keep the password file in my dropbox, so it's never stored on my phone, although it is encrypted anyway, and any time I want access to my passwords I just go into my dropbox, select the encrypted KeePass file, and I input my password to allow me access. KePass resides on my phone, but I never actually have to open the actual application, as it auto opens when the encrypted file is selected. I use dropbox so that I can access the password file from anywhere on any device.

The company I work for has a high level of security for data, and the global security group advises KeePass for password retention and encryption.

Hope this helps some folks out!