"ADB server didn't ACK" error while trying to access with sdk

Search This thread

flaav8r

Nov 9, 2009
Somebody please help me out of my misery. I followed the rooting directions to the letter, but when I type "adb devices" I get the following error:

* daemon not running. starting it now *
ADB server didn't ACK
* failed to start daemon *
error: cannot connect to daemon

I'm in the right directory ( AndroidSDK\tools\ ), I have the android driver installed, I have USB debugging checked, I don't understand why this is not working.

Please help me out here.

I had no problem rooting my palm pre, which was infinately more complicated than this.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: alireza21

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Somebody please help me out of my misery. I followed the rooting directions to the letter, but when I type "adb devices" I get the following error:

ADB server didn't ACK

I'm in the right directory ( AndroidSDK\tools\ ), I have the android driver installed, I have USB debugging checked, I don't understand why this is not working.

Please help me out here.

I had no problem rooting my palm pre, which was infinately more complicated than this.

Thank you in advance.

had a pre and "rooted" it as well..... using putty is more complicated that this but this is a little more like hacking... whereas on the pre you are just accessing root rather than breaking into it.

anyway... try these

nstall htc sync from htc's website, can you sync?

run cmd as administrator

cd untill you are in the same directory as your adb

type "adb devices"

does it display your hero?

type "adb shell"

does is display "$" ?

Reactions: alireza21

flaav8r

Nov 9, 2009
had a pre and "rooted" it as well..... using putty is more complicated that this but this is a little more like hacking... whereas on the pre you are just accessing root rather than breaking into it.

anyway... try these

run cmd as administrator

type "adb devices"

type "adb shell"

does is display "$" ?
Yes, I can sync with HTC Sync. When I do the adb devices I get the error I described above and I cannot do adb shell because I cannot communicate via android sdk.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
Yes, I can sync with HTC Sync. When I do the adb devices I get the error I described above and I cannot do adb shell because I cannot communicate via android sdk.

windows 7? VISTA? XP?

restart phone/computer

unplug/plugin usb

also find another copy of adb.exe i heard there's a old copy floating out there that doesn't reccognize the hero for some reason but if you got it from a guide you shouldn't have a problem.

download sprint RUU and wipe your phone (if it will connect) also if you want to dig down the ruu has a working adb.exe twisted into their install they dump in your %TEMP% folder

Last edited:

flaav8r

Nov 9, 2009
windows 7? VISTA? XP?

restart phone/computer

unplug/plugin usb

also find another copy of adb.exe i heard there's a old copy floating out there that doesn't reccognize the hero for some reason but if you got it from a guide you shouldn't have a problem.

download sprint RUU and wipe your phone (if it will connect) also if you want to dig down the ruu has a working adb.exe twisted into their install they dump in your %TEMP% folder

Windows XP, and I got the files from this site and androidsdk from the google site linked from theunlockr.com.

johnsongrantr

Aug 10, 2007
Indianapolis
well i'm out of ideas.... and i'm tired.... anyone else throw a little help this guy's way?

if by tomorrow you/they haven't figured it out I'll see if I can't think of something else for ya

simplyphp

Nov 9, 2009
The ADB server binds and listen to port 5037. If that port is taken and/or if the daemon is already running, you'll see that error message.

Start task manager and kill adb.exe (all the instances of it).

If that don't work, try rebooting your computer and your phone, and trying again.

If it still don't work, try this:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/dfae5da4a3c80aa8

flaav8r

Nov 9, 2009

flaav8r

Nov 9, 2009
The ADB server binds and listen to port 5037. If that port is taken and/or if the daemon is already running, you'll see that error message.

If that don't work, try rebooting your computer and your phone, and trying again.

Haha, success. I'm gonna try and root it now.

Thank you so much.

bhauptman

Apr 7, 2010
Sorry for reviving an ancient post, but I just wanted to say that I ran into the same issue and opening up "taskmgr" and killing the active instance of "adb.exe" resolved the issue.

percuwill

Oct 26, 2008
Just for help :

I had the same issue and it was my Firewall which blocked the starting of deamon.
Turn off your Firewall can fix the problem

Reactions: r2000s

lucbloom

Nov 29, 2012
This solved it for me: edit adb_usb.ini

This solved it for me:

Edit ~/.android/adb_usb.ini file to make sure that there is no extra empty line after the 0x0006 line entry

For other users: I also found this:
After killing ADB.exe run netstat (just "netstat", no parameters) and
see if port 5037 is opened. It probably will be. Wait a while. Run
netstat again, now there are less connections on the port. After a
port 5037 is no longer opened. Only then it's OK to run ADB again.

Please note that this worked for when I killed the ADB.exe process &
process tree from Sysintenal's Process Explorer.

Also, I still don't know why running ADB again before all connection
are closed led to the port never being freed (albeit netstat didn't
show any open connections anymore). Moreover, the problem that forced
me to kill ADB in the first place needs to be solved and there's
enough on that in the forum.

AsafR.

swinder0161

Feb 27, 2013
Problem is HTC Sync

This solved it for me:

Edit ~/.android/adb_usb.ini file to make sure that there is no extra empty line after the 0x0006 line entry

HTC Sync Manager has adb.exe at location C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync\adb.exe

You have 2 options now:-
1) Delete this adb.exe
2) Copy latest adb.exe from android sdk to this path.
Note: You need to make the 2 copies of adb.exe in sync always(when android sdk is updated) else this problem will come up again.
On windows 7, you can make a link of adb.exe from android sdk to this folder, which will avoid copying manually.
C:\> cd "C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync"
C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync\> mklink adb.exe C:\<path to your sdk>\platform-tools\adb.exe

Reactions: nickmilla15

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ADB server didn't ACK

Please help me out here.

Thank you in advance.

ADB server didn't ACK

Please help me out here.

Thank you in advance.

anyway... try these

run cmd as administrator

type "adb devices"

type "adb shell"

does is display "$" ?
    Just for help :

I had the same issue and it was my Firewall which blocked the starting of deamon.
    Turn off your Firewall can fix the problem
    Problem is HTC Sync

This solved it for me:

HTC Sync Manager has adb.exe at location C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync\adb.exe

You have 2 options now:-
    1) Delete this adb.exe
    2) Copy latest adb.exe from android sdk to this path.
    Note: You need to make the 2 copies of adb.exe in sync always(when android sdk is updated) else this problem will come up again.
    On windows 7, you can make a link of adb.exe from android sdk to this folder, which will avoid copying manually.
    C:\> cd "C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync"
    C:\Program Files\htc\htc sync manager\htc sync\> mklink adb.exe C:\<path to your sdk>\platform-tools\adb.exe