[APP] LaunchKey

Search This thread

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
As of now (dec 18) the app is split into two versions: a lite one (dowload it here) and a paid-for version (on the Android Market)

----
Assign app, system function or a customizable shortcut menu to the long-press search button.

lk1v.png

Menu Lite version (version 1.2):
lk3.png

Menu Full version (version 1.3):
launchmenu1.png

Full version has an extensive list of extra system functions like (only for *rooted* devices):
* Media controls (Media next, play/pause, forward etc)
* Volume controls (mute, volume up, down)
* Menu, back, home, toggle notification window
* dPad controls
Also, the full version allows the user to define up to 120 menu-shortcuts.

Requirements: Only for devices that have longpress search functionality (for example not for the Galaxy S)
Droid x/Droid 2 users: first install "HomeSmack" to use the long-press search functionality for this app

Instructions: When pressing-and-holding the search key button for the first time after installing the app one will see a menu like this:

snapf.jpg

Check "use by default for this action" and choose LaunchKey to complete the action.

To do: implement more system functions, assign a customizable menu to the longpress search key (done).
Open for requests.

Changelog
v1.2.1 (nov 5): Fixed bluetooth toggle issue
* v1.2 (nov 1): Now with a customizable shortcut menu.
* v1.1: added possibility to assign system functions to longpress search key (bluetooth, wifi, airplane mode toggle + home screen swither)

Last edited:

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
For me, a great function to add would be MEDIA_NEXT to skip to the next track without having to turn on the screen :D

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
For me, a great function to add would be MEDIA_NEXT to skip to the next track without having to turn on the screen :D

Actually, that's a great idea (for devices that can turn on the device with the search button). On the Desire HD with its capacitive buttons this isn't possible, unfortunately . Can you turn on your device with the search button... ? And when you hold it, will it launch one of the assigned apps?

Reactions: thatdudebutch

mezdup

Jul 15, 2010
doesn't seem to work on my droid x. long pressing the search key doesn't seem to do anything. a short press brings up search though.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
doesn't seem to work on my droid x. long pressing the search key doesn't seem to do anything. a short press brings up search though.

Have you assigned the app to the long press search action? It's standard Android, tested it on several virtual machines on the emulator.

Would be weird if the droid X doesn't support that. That would be inconsistent indeed.

melinte

Sep 5, 2010
Timisoara
I have come across some interesting behaviour.

I have an HTC Wildfire, stock 2.1 but rooted, with LauncherPro as my homie.

I installed Launchkey, configured the app I want to start by long-pressing (namely, Camera), hit back, then long-pressed search. It started Camera, as it should. No problems there.

But while I was inside the Camera app, I long-pressed it again, to see if it opens another camera on top of Camera so I can shoot in 3D. Alas, it did not! Instead, it opened the HTC Sense UI (which has been off for about a month, since I use LauncherPro).

What gives?

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
I have come across some interesting behaviour.

I have an HTC Wildfire, stock 2.1 but rooted, with LauncherPro as my homie.

I installed Launchkey, configured the app I want to start by long-pressing (namely, Camera), hit back, then long-pressed search. It started Camera, as it should. No problems there.

But while I was inside the Camera app, I long-pressed it again, to see if it opens another camera on top of Camera so I can shoot in 3D. Alas, it did not! Instead, it opened the HTC Sense UI (which has been off for about a month, since I use LauncherPro).

What gives?

It looks like that some apps can override the long press key binding if they get focus. In some apps search is triggered also when long press the search button (for example in Root Explorer) .. It seems in your camera app they decided to launch Sense. In my camera app the press-and-hold button is disabled (Desire HD)

mezdup

Jul 15, 2010
Have you assigned the app to the long press search action? It's standard Android, tested it on several virtual machines on the emulator.

Would be weird if the droid X doesn't support that. That would be inconsistent indeed.

yea i set an app. set a few different ones, but no luck with any.

Munz12

Oct 25, 2010
Not working on Galaxy S

I have rooted 2.2 JPM and it doesn't work. It installs and lets me choose an app to start but wherever i try i brings up the search rather then the app i chose. I've tried with several apps and still not working, re-booted several times to no avail.:confused:

c00ller

Jun 10, 2010
Actually, that's a great idea (for devices that can turn on the device with the search button). On the Desire HD with its capacitive buttons this isn't possible, unfortunately . Can you turn on your device with the search button... ? And when you hold it, will it launch one of the assigned apps?

No, the search button doesn't wake the device :(. I have an HTC Hero CDMA so I have the hardware buttons.

Piny12

May 5, 2008
I think it wont work with the Galaxy S unfortunately because it doesnt have a dedicated Search Button. The search is activated by long pressing the Menu Button...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
yea i set an app. set a few different ones, but no luck with any.

Sorry, what I meant was, did you choose LaunchKey to complete the press-and-hold search button action and set it to default?

After installing LauchKey you should get a window like this when you longpress the search button:
snap.jpg

If not, uninstall the app and install it again. Android should give you this dialog (Standard Android behavior that I can't influence)

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
I have rooted 2.2 JPM and it doesn't work. It installs and lets me choose an app to start but wherever i try i brings up the search rather then the app i chose. I've tried with several apps and still not working, re-booted several times to no avail.:confused:

Unfortunately doesn't work on the SGS .. it doesn't have a search button you can press-and-hold.

tigren

Oct 1, 2010
Update v1.2 (nov 1):

Open for requests.

Changelog
* v1.1: added possibility to assign system functions to longpress search key (bluetooth, wifi, airplane mode toggle + home screen swither)

How about an "End Call" system function?

Otherwise, works great on Fresh 3.4.0.1 on HTC EVO 4G.

Last edited:

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
How about an "End Call" system function?

Otherwise, works great on Fresh 3.4.0.1 on HTC EVO 4G.

Great idea. No problem, will add it to the next update.

Keep the suggestions coming! What about a possibility to add widgets to the launch menu? (Or would this be a bit redundant)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of now (dec 18) the app is split into two versions: a lite one (dowload it here) and a paid-for version (on the Android Market)

----
    Assign app, system function or a customizable shortcut menu to the long-press search button.

lk1v.png

Menu Lite version (version 1.2):
    lk3.png

Menu Full version (version 1.3):
    launchmenu1.png

Full version has an extensive list of extra system functions like (only for *rooted* devices):
    * Media controls (Media next, play/pause, forward etc)
    * Volume controls (mute, volume up, down)
    * Menu, back, home, toggle notification window
    * dPad controls
    Also, the full version allows the user to define up to 120 menu-shortcuts.

Requirements: Only for devices that have longpress search functionality (for example not for the Galaxy S)
    Droid x/Droid 2 users: first install "HomeSmack" to use the long-press search functionality for this app

Instructions: When pressing-and-holding the search key button for the first time after installing the app one will see a menu like this:

snapf.jpg

Check "use by default for this action" and choose LaunchKey to complete the action.

To do: implement more system functions, assign a customizable menu to the longpress search key (done).
    Open for requests.

Changelog
    v1.2.1 (nov 5): Fixed bluetooth toggle issue
    * v1.2 (nov 1): Now with a customizable shortcut menu.

App has now two versions a lite version and full version.

Suggestions of functions to add are still welcome.
    App has now two versions a lite version and full version.

Suggestions of functions to add are still welcome.

Just got the full version, and I get an FC when I add the wifi-toggle to the shortcut menu and click on it.

Also, (as someone already posted before here), can you add more of these kind of toggles? For instance for mobile data on / off, gps, autorotation?

I've also asked this before, but an option to move shortcuts around would be nice. It still takes for me about a minute to load all programs (on my legend), so if i don't like the place of one shortcut, i have to remove it and add it somewhere else again (which takes me a long time). And still, maybe the possiblity of folders to place short cuts in? I know that than you get somekind of "startmenu" app, but why not? :D

Great app though :D Especially that the menu pops up very quickly.

update: just checked, and also the airplane-mode toggle and bluetooth toggle give me an force close message.
    Very much appreciated!

Should be no problem.