Galaxy S4/Note 3/Mega - Update Profile/PRL/HFA Fix for Sprint/Boost/Virgin Mobile/etc

Search This thread

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Were you getting 3G in your original phone? If so, perhaps your Note 3 wasn't flashed correctly.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Horty24

Feb 16, 2014
Hi Alpine. So I rooted the phone with Kingo and it was success on the root. But once I try to backup the carrier file on target phone I see that the carrier file is empty. Also I tried to unzip the carrier file on OP and the phone would not let me. I did enable super user but no luck. Also it Ask about about disabling knox. Should I disable to allow the copying of carrier file? I'm using Es file explorer. Please advice. Thanks

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
You need to root enable, and configure ES File Explorer to show hidden files and allow writes to system partition. To do so:

1) Install the latest version of ES File Explorer from the Play Store. Launch it.
2) On the upper left hand corner, there's a blue icon that looks like a phone superimposed on a globe. Click on that icon.
3) Expand the Tools section.
4) Scroll down and find "Show hidden files". Turn that on.
5) Scroll down and find "Root Explorer". Turn that on.
6) Grant root access.
7) Press on the word "Root" on "Root Explorer".
8) Choose "Mount R/W"
9) Look for "/system" and choose "RW"
10) Press OK button.
11) Done.

I will add this in the FAQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: jric1 and Horty24

TTmaster99

Aug 4, 2007
For Note 3, DO NOT upgrade to Kit Kat 4.4.2
This carrier folder replacement will not work on Kit Kat. The Kit Kat keep replacing back to the original ones after you restart. Whether you do a carrier folder replacement or write a PRL, it'll go back to the original one.

Keep yourself in MJ4 if your phone works without problems

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Was about to experiment with Kit Kat last night. Thanks for the heads up!

shadricksimms

Oct 16, 2011
I have a problem as well with kit kat I update and lost data completely and it changed prl

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

shadricksimms

Oct 16, 2011
Sup Shad. When u updated to kit kat did u update the modem also? How did u update? Odin? Or did u flash the kit kat ROM? How did u update your sprint note 3?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I used a link on XDA to update the phone with Odin and that's when it all happened

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Sup Shad. When u updated to kit kat did u update the modem also? How did u update? Odin? Or did u flash the kit kat ROM? How did u update your sprint note 3?

Sorry Taking Long To Respond Im At WORK AND Checking Updates Here WITH U guys

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

duqa5y3a.jpg

shadricksimms

Oct 16, 2011
Has anyone tried the activation fix for the note 3 while on kit kat with fix for kit kat Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Perhaps we need a new set of carrier files from a Kit Kat phone currently active/previously activated in a Sprint LTE account.

The carrier files in OP are from Android 4.3.

ecs87

Nov 17, 2012
NOTE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE L900 NOTE 2! I figured I'd post it here since it has to do with the Update profile/PRL/HFA fix.

I flashed a guy's Note 2 the other day (Sprint>Boost) and he went ahead and did a ##72768# like a ****ing moron. It had a HFA loop, but I remember that as long as you enter a MDN and MIN on 4.3, it'll cure it...if you DIDN'T enter the dialer code mentioned above. Apparently that code does more than corrupt the carrier partition, because I rooted the phone, copied the files from my L900 to it, rebooted it, and expected to win. A facepalm was seen at the end of this tunnel instead. HFA loop waiting for me with open arms.

Figured I'd go back to what I know, which is going back to LJC and running the flashable carrier fix. It's worked before when I've run into HFA nags, it should work again. I used @billard412 's MC2 "Back to UNROOTED Stock with Auto Flash Count Reset" (http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=36388145). It's a .zip file you can use in a custom recovery to overwrite the 4.3 firmware (INCLUDING THE BOOTLOADER!!!!! THIS IS HUGE HERE!!!).

After using this, I had to repackage the LJC firmware because it failed at sboot. Fair enough, I ripped the LJC file apart and inserted the MC2 sboot file into it and made it a tarball: https://www.mediafire.com/?6p9hrhq935t7io2 (you can flash this in Odin 3.09 in the AP tab. NOTE THAT YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE YOU'VE DOWNGRADED FROM MK4 TO MC2. IT WILL FAIL FAIL FAIL IF YOU TRY TO GO STRAIGHT FROM MK4 TO LJC!). It will succeed. If it doesn't, you DID NOT DOWNGRADE FIRST; READ ABOVE. Once you're on LJC, you're going to need to load a custom recovery again, and apply the LJC carrier fix from: http://xdaforums.com/show...37276600394398 (I also applied the LK8 fix:http://xdaforums.com/show...80219633691012 as well, but it's probably not necessary). At this point you SHOULD be fixed, and the HFA nags should be gone, right?

Mine weren't. I applied both patches multiple times, getting angrier every single time. I found a link: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2062499 that says to do the hands free activation. So, I made a boost mobile account for it, chose to pay later, did the ##72768# reset and tried to activate when it booted back up. It mentioned something weird about "Writing Data" in the activation window, something I've NEVER seen before, and actually went all the way through. Press Done, and it'll reboot. You have no more HFA nag. From here you can upgrade back up to MC2 or MK4 (or whichever firmware you want to be on. Keep in mind you're still on the MC2 bootloader with the rest of the firmware being LJC. If you want a "clean" device I suggest flashing back up to MC2 or MK4).

Last edited:

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Are you trying to flash your phone, too? This thread is only to fix the HFA nag and Update Profile.

If you're flashing, see my signature.

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
This PRL update is Sprint ONLY. You do not need a PRL for AT&T / Net10. You need APN settings to get MMS and data to work.

E-POUND

Sep 26, 2010
STL
NOTE THIS ONLY APPLIES TO THE L900 NOTE 2! I figured I'd post it here since it has to do with the Update profile/PRL/HFA fix.

I flashed a guy's Note 2 the other day (Sprint>Boost) and he went ahead and did a ##72768# like a ****ing moron. It had a HFA loop, but I remember that as long as you enter a MDN and MIN on 4.3, it'll cure it...if you DIDN'T enter the dialer code mentioned above. Apparently that code does more than corrupt the carrier partition, because I rooted the phone, copied the files from my L900 to it, rebooted it, and expected to win. A facepalm was seen at the end of this tunnel instead. HFA loop waiting for me with open arms.

Figured I'd go back to what I know, which is going back to LJC and running the flashable carrier fix. It's worked before when I've run into HFA nags, it should work again. I used @billard412 's MC2 "Back to UNROOTED Stock with Auto Flash Count Reset" (http://xdaforums.com/show...php?p=36388145). It's a .zip file you can use in a custom recovery to overwrite the 4.3 firmware (INCLUDING THE BOOTLOADER!!!!! THIS IS HUGE HERE!!!).

After using this, I had to repackage the LJC firmware because it failed at sboot. Fair enough, I ripped the LJC file apart and inserted the MC2 sboot file into it and made it a tarball: https://www.mediafire.com/?6p9hrhq935t7io2 (you can flash this in Odin 3.09 in the AP tab. NOTE THAT YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE YOU'VE DOWNGRADED FROM MK4 TO MC2. IT WILL FAIL FAIL FAIL IF YOU TRY TO GO STRAIGHT FROM MK4 TO LJC!). It will succeed. If it doesn't, you DID NOT DOWNGRADE FIRST; READ ABOVE. Once you're on LJC, you're going to need to load a custom recovery again, and apply the LJC carrier fix from: http://xdaforums.com/show...37276600394398 (I also applied the LK8 fix:http://xdaforums.com/show...80219633691012 as well, but it's probably not necessary). At this point you SHOULD be fixed, and the HFA nags should be gone, right?

Mine weren't. I applied both patches multiple times, getting angrier every single time. I found a link: http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=2062499 that says to do the hands free activation. So, I made a boost mobile account for it, chose to pay later, did the ##72768# reset and tried to activate when it booted back up. It mentioned something weird about "Writing Data" in the activation window, something I've NEVER seen before, and actually went all the way through. Press Done, and it'll reboot. You have no more HFA nag. From here you can upgrade back up to MC2 or MK4 (or whichever firmware you want to be on. Keep in mind you're still on the MC2 bootloader with the rest of the firmware being LJC. If you want a "clean" device I suggest flashing back up to MC2 or MK4).

Thanks man this saved me.

bond17_007

Dec 27, 2009
can this be done without root?
Also right now when I try to update profile or update PRL it says "Mobile data not available", I tried turning wifi on but no luck.
Any ideas?

AlpineMan

Aug 6, 2008
Try it without root. You have to write files to /carrier, so that's why I think root is needed.

Do you get 1X data at least? If not, perhaps your phone wasn't flashed correctly.

bond17_007

Dec 27, 2009
Try it without root. You have to write files to /carrier, so that's why I think root is needed.

Do you get 1X data at least? If not, perhaps your phone wasn't flashed correctly.

You are right, had to root it before being able to write to "/carrier".

I followed the instructions and rebooted, for the first time I did see 1X data.

I rebooted to verify if HFA went away but it did not.
And this time I did not get 1X data either :(.

Back to square one, where after reboot i get a HFA. (Says preparing network...)

I double checked IMSI values and MDN as well as PCS they are correct. I am able to make calls and receive calls.

On Data Tab HDR AN and HDR AN Long user id is my <esn>@hcm.sprintpcs.com

In Mobile IP: I only have profile 1 active (Profile 0 gets disabled every time even if i enable it)
NAI there is my powervision user name.. user@sprintpcs.com
Prim HA 68.28.15.12
Sec HA 68.28.31.12

HA Shared secret is "secret".

During this one I flashed the ESN on this device from donor and did a esn swap to it. (not to donor but but the loaner device).
I try to do Update profile so my password gets pushed .. coz i do not remember what new password has been set since esn swap.

Any thoughts?

bond17_007

Dec 27, 2009
I successfully activated now it says .. preparing network after boot.. And it stays like it... I cannot update profile or prl as it says session in progress try again later

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please DO NOT QUOTE this post in your reply. Just post your questions or comments if you have any. I DON'T CHECK OR RESPOND TO PM'S.

Proof of Concept:
    Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4's & Note 3's that have been flashed to Sprint legacy accounts such as SERO or Sprint MVNO's such as Boost, Virgin Mobile, Ting, etc. suffer from the fact that you can't launch Update Profile / Update PRL unless the phone has been previously activated in a Sprint LTE account. If the phone has been factory reset using ##786#, the user will also lose the ability to run Update Profile/PRL. As a side effect, you will also get a Hands Free Activation nag each time you turn on/reboot your phone. Disabling/freezing certain apk's to fix the HFA nag unfortunately breaks the phone's ability to run Update Profile & PRL as well. The fix below gets rid of the HFA nag and enables Update Profile & PRL on flashed Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 & Note 3 phones.

If you'd like to thank me, please click on the "Thanks" button instead of posting a thank you note. Let's save storage and bandwidth. And please, please, please...DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST IN YOUR REPLY JUST TO THANK ME! Again for those who don't know me, I do not accept personal donations. Instead I encourage you to donate to the American Cancer Society, to your local church, or any other not for profit charities. ;)

What good is running Update Profile anyway?
    1) This will automatically correct your MDN and MIN settings on your phone if they were flashed incorrectly.
    2) This will automatically correct the Profile 1 (or Profile 2) username and AAA key to get your 3G working.

This fix assumes the following:
    1) You have a rooted phone. I've only tested on a TouchWiz-based rooted ROM (Sacs Custom ROM based on Android 4.3 on the S4 and stock rooted 4.3 on the Note 3). Post #44 reports that this doesn't work on Android 4.4.2.
    2) You have access to another Sprint Galaxy S4 or Note 3 in which Update Profile/PRL already works. Let's call this phone "SOURCE". In theory once you have the appropriate files from "SOURCE", you can use these same files over and over.
    3) You're looking to get Update Profile/PRL to work on another phone that is already flashed to Sprint (or Sprint MVNO). This will not work for any other provider! Let's call this phone "TARGET".
    4) You have a spare microSD card to transfer files between "SOURCE" and "TARGET" phones.
    5) You have flashed your "TARGET" phone's MDN and MIN using DFS, CDMA Workshop, etc.
    6) You have flashed your "TARGET" phone's Profile 0 and Profile 1 using DFS, CDMA Workshop, etc.
    7) Profile 0 must be accurately flashed. Profile 1's username can be flashed using a bogus value such as "johndoe@sprintpcs.com" if you do not know the actual username.
    8) If you removed/disabled/froze system apk's / apps in your phone to get rid of the Hands Free Activation nag previously, make sure you put these back in their original state.
    9) You have the ability to reflash your S4 or Note 3 back to Boost, Ting, Virgin Mobile, etc. in case your flash gets wiped out cuz you didn't follow the directions closely.

Steps to fix Update Profile / Update PRL: (idea is to copy SOURCE phone's /carrier directory to TARGET phone)
    1) Use a root-enabled file explorer app such as Root Explorer or ES File Explorer to backup the /carrier directory from your "TARGET" phone to a microSD card.
    2) Rename this /carrier folder in the microSD card to something like /carrierBackup.
    3) Use the file explorer app to copy the /carrier directory from your "SOURCE" phone to the microSD card as well. Insert this microSD card to your "TARGET" phone.
    4) Copy the contents of /carrier directory from microSD card to your "TARGET" phone. Overwrite the files that may already exist in your "TARGET" phone's /carrier directory.
    5) Reboot the "TARGET" phone.
    6) Run "Update Profile" or "Update PRL".
    7) Done.

OR...Instead of doing steps 3 and 4, simply use ES File Explorer to unzip contents of attached carrier-GS4.zip OR carrier-Note3.zip file in /carrier so that the files/folders would look like the attached screen shots.

Pay attention to the content in the screenshots as well as file/folder permissions to make sure they match!

WARNING: DO NOT USE WINDOWS TO COPY/EXTRACT FILES TO/FROM PHONE. IT WILL OMIT THE HIDDEN FILE CHAMELEON.HASH. YOUR BOOST/TING/VIRGIN MOBILE/ETC FLASH WILL GET WIPED OUT IF THE CONTENTS OF YOUR /CARRIER FOLDER DON'T MATCH THE SCREENSHOTS BELOW.

Reboot the phone and perform an Update Profile.

The screen shots attached are contents of /carrier folder of "SOURCE" Sprint Galaxy S4 phone.

Give it a try and let me know if it worked for you and what phone(s) you used.

If you'd like to thank me, please click on the "Thanks" button instead of posting a thank you note. Let's save storage and bandwidth. And please, please, please...DO NOT QUOTE THIS POST IN YOUR REPLY JUST TO THANK ME! Again for those who don't know me, I do not accept personal donations. Instead I encourage you to donate to the American Cancer Society, to your local church, or any other not for profit charities. ;)
    I would be depressed too man. Denver didn't even lose... they got they butts WHOOPED! Lol. The only part that I didn't really like is why did sea even let them Score??? I don't understand that part.

I sent you the new carrier zip for the Note 3 all zipped up. Let me know if that's what we needed when ever you cheer up lol.
    Yes, after I successfully activated the phone, I re-rooted it, flashed TWRP, and relashed it with Freeza stockish KitKat. I used Es Explorer and the /carrier folder is empty.

I would suggest starting a new thread to ask if someone with KitKat for the Note 3 could post their /carrier folder.

EDIT: No I take that back. I see it there now (hmmm... I must have not enabled root on Es Explorer). Give me a minute and I'll upload it.

OK, everyone; attached is a zip of the /carrier directory on my Note 3 with KitKat that was successfully activated on Sprint with the builtin HFA application. I have no way of verifying if this will works so I recommend you back up your /carrier folder before unzipping the attached file. Good luck and let everyone know if it works.

EDIT2: I forgot to enable hidden file display so one file that alpineman mentioned was missing. The attached file now contains the full carrier folder.
    For Note 3, DO NOT upgrade to Kit Kat 4.4.2
    This carrier folder replacement will not work on Kit Kat. The Kit Kat keep replacing back to the original ones after you restart. Whether you do a carrier folder replacement or write a PRL, it'll go back to the original one.

Keep yourself in MJ4 if your phone works without problems
    The .zip method alpine man posted worked like a charm man thank you this will save some flashers alot of time