[Q] Why Wont School e/gmail sync?

Search This thread

cabrone1

Aug 17, 2010
Troy, MI
I have been trying to sync my school e mail, powered by g mail for quite some time, since I got the phone 2 months ago, actually. At first I (and hope i still am) thought i was simply doing something wrong.

Now, the e mail is "powered by Google" not actually a Google address, but it looks identical to my normal e mail which is indeed through Google.

It is as follows:
lastname.firstname@student.oaklandcc.edu

I tried troubleshooting it via Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP on the g mail page on my PC.
I turned ON both POP Download and IMAP Access, then i realized there is no support for Android via POP (according to their list of supported devices), so progressed to the IMAP settings, where, indeed, Android is supported here.

I set everything up in my phone according to their instructions here. At any rate, I cannot seem to get it to work, i get an error that reads "Authentification failed. Please verify your username/passord." It gets hung up right after I type all this jargon in
" Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)"

I have verified it countless times... am I unable to get this set up because it is an odd e mail address?

Note, If i change the IMAP server to imap.oaklandcc.edu it says it cannot verify, but it does not say the password/username is erroneous

ausch30

Feb 19, 2009
Buffalo, NY
I have been trying to sync my school e mail, powered by g mail for quite some time, since I got the phone 2 months ago, actually. At first I (and hope i still am) thought i was simply doing something wrong.

Now, the e mail is "powered by Google" not actually a Google address, but it looks identical to my normal e mail which is indeed through Google.

It is as follows:
lastname.firstname@student.oaklandcc.edu

I tried troubleshooting it via Settings>Forwarding and POP/IMAP on the g mail page on my PC.
I turned ON both POP Download and IMAP Access, then i realized there is no support for Android via POP (according to their list of supported devices), so progressed to the IMAP settings, where, indeed, Android is supported here.

I set everything up in my phone according to their instructions here. At any rate, I cannot seem to get it to work, i get an error that reads "Authentification failed. Please verify your username/passord." It gets hung up right after I type all this jargon in
" Incoming settings
IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
Security type: SSL (always)"

I have verified it countless times... am I unable to get this set up because it is an odd e mail address?

Note, If i change the IMAP server to imap.oaklandcc.edu it says it cannot verify, but it does not say the password/username is erroneous

I just set my school email to forward to gmail and I just have my phone setup with my gmail account. I have Comcast, AOL, and school emails and I have all of them setup to forward to gmail, makes it easier having them all sent there and then to my phone.

cabrone1

Aug 17, 2010
Troy, MI
I just set my school email to forward to gmail and I just have my phone setup with my gmail account. I have Comcast, AOL, and school emails and I have all of them setup to forward to gmail, makes it easier having them all sent there and then to my phone.

this is true, but i wanted to see if there was a real fix rather than a work around.

nukedukem

Jun 23, 2010
Make sure you use the full address, not @gmail.com, i.e. toughguy @butterfliesandkisses.edu.
Also, my school uses google apps and I think I had to set up my school gmail account in some way to access it from a standard gmail login prompt. Usually there is a walkthrough on your school website.

rezistrat

Feb 5, 2009
Imap not pop.
Use tls and make sure you have the correct password and port mine is 587

mizzos4

Jun 14, 2010
I use the included exchange with my school email and it works just fine. Check with your school IT.

cabrone1

Aug 17, 2010
Troy, MI
Imap not pop.
Use tls and make sure you have the correct password and port mine is 587

I tied that... as stated in my orig post, but thank you

I use the included exchange with my school email and it works just fine. Check with your school IT.

well, it is Powered by g mail, so i don't know exactly what to do... but i can try to ask some IT guys
EDIT: even with my real p word and username and and arbitrary domain it flags an error with the password and username right away

Last edited: