[Q&A] Ask a Developer your Ouya Questions

Search This thread

sonofskywalker3

Jan 22, 2009
Cool, thanks for the heads up. it'll be nice to have the updated version, I just couldn't find a modified 2.8.

qwerty790

Jul 30, 2011
one note about hulu plus. THe app you posted here 2.6 does not have options for keyboard control (which was indroduced in 2.8, the latest version.) for use with the controller, keyboards etc I have a copy of the apk which i will upload as soon as I have 10 posts and can post links (almost there haha). WHen I installed 2.8 by it self, it force closed but i was able to get it working by installing 2.6 from your post and then upgrading.

Also I was going to comment on the other post about cwm concerning getting google play to work. the way that people were able to get it working on the kindle fire was to install the vending.apk from the old market as a system app and then upgrade i'm going to give that a try and ill let you know how it works.

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Cool, thanks for the heads up. it'll be nice to have the updated version, I just couldn't find a modified 2.8.

Here is the apk. it is unmodified (I pulled it from my phone) but works if you install over 2.6

www(dot)dropbox(dot)com/s/ck2kit22mben9hy/Hulu%20Plus_2.8.0.201147.apk

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

Thank you and poptart, mybook for your work btw thats awesome

also I created a new thread in the general section witha link to an old vending.apk that works with the kindle fire in case you/ others want to try it out

(only 2 more posts and i can post ion the dev section haha)

wazarmoto

Oct 6, 2006
Hi guys. I dont really post much but have started taking interest into rooting and custom roms etc since I'll be having more time on my hands now. I just received my EU OUYA an hour ago. Setting it up. Main reason I bought it was to set it up for my daughter and stream her videos folder (all her animation etc) to her room. The games are a plus. lol

kachaffeous

Feb 8, 2012
Can anyone help with the correct fastboot drivers for the ouya? I can use adb fine, just not fastboot. Tried the google usb drivers and naked and coulndn't get either to recognize "fastboot devices".

27scoob

May 24, 2010
I have wireless abd enabled and this turns off the micro usb port when usb debugging is enabled . This is a real problem when trying to install recovery . Anybody have any ideas on how to handle this situation. .thanks...

neph81

May 13, 2011
Can anyone help with the correct fastboot drivers for the ouya? I can use adb fine, just not fastboot. Tried the google usb drivers and naked and coulndn't get either to recognize "fastboot devices".

Are you actually in fastboot when you are trying the fastboot command? You need to "ADB reboot bootloader" and that will put the device into fastboot mode.

27scoob

May 24, 2010
I have wireless abd enabled and this turns off the micro usb port when usb debugging is enabled . This is a real problem when trying to install recovery . Anybody have any ideas on how to handle this situation. .thanks...

Success !!!!! I downloaded a wireless adb .Apk and installed it and now I can go into that app and toggled it a few times and the Ouya will show up in the device manager under adb and portable devices. Whew...that was driving me crazy.. now time to try a rom...

alaiwy

Aug 18, 2007
DFW, TX
Touchpad on controller.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

hmm, my touch pad is completely unresponsive once a video is playing. it works in the movie selection area but i can't control anything once the movie has started. maybe the .apk i'm using isn't the right one? or is that the way it is for others as well?

Oscar_david

Apr 12, 2012
hmm, my touch pad is completely unresponsive once a video is playing. it works in the movie selection area but i can't control anything once the movie has started. maybe the .apk i'm using isn't the right one? or is that the way it is for others as well?

I don't actually have mine yet. Been checking out some YouTube vids about it. Looks like the y button will stop the playback. There's also an app called blueboard that let's u use your phone as a Bluetooth keyboard for text entry.

Cheers.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

stane1983

Nov 16, 2010
Varazdin
Im having the same problem. Any solution yet?

To enable fastboot driver, add:

Code:
;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

to both sections [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] of driver\android_winusb.inf and install. Got ouya today and started playing. This solution worked for me, took from this post.

samt3

Jun 21, 2012
i got it to work last night my problem is fastboot wouldn't install the drivers because of "signing issues" or something like that. I went through the process of disabling my windows 8 from checking drivers for signatures and it worked fine after that.

My adb had some problems awhile back to but it eventually installed the drivers for some reason after enough attempts it just installed them without having to disable it from checking for signatures. Fastboot i had to disable it which i finally learned how to do last night.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2012
help with ouya toolbox

i tried to use ouya toolbox to root my ouya but it just keeps saying the path to adb.ex has been denied. im on win7 not 8 i tried task manager end adb.exe and start ouya toolbox up again. no luck with running as admin so idk what to do.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I backed Ouya on Kickstarter, and mine finally arrived today. There have been a lot of questions, a lot of speculation, and not many answers. I will personally be attempting to install a 3'rd party launcher, Google Play apps (store, music, movies) and other games and apps I have bought over the years on the Play Store. The point of this topic is for other people who are interested in buying one or have pre-ordered one to get answers to their questions, like I couldn't.

I have been an Android user since the original Motorola Droid on Verizon, and a Custom ROM Developer for the Samsung Fascinate, HTC Thunderbolt, and Droid Bionic. I will be working on a custom ROM for the Ouya as well once we get some reasonable safety measures to ensure I don't brick it while experimenting. Feel free to ask me anything, about app compatibility, features, user interface, whatever, I'll do my best to answer. I'll also keep this topic updated with my observations and experiences with hacking and modding this console.

Since I've already gone through the trouble of tracking down working apps I figured I'd save everyone else a few minutes and collect the working ones here:

How to install: From your Ouya browser click the link for any apk's you want to download. once the downloads have completed go to: Manage > System > Advanced > Storage > Downloads and select the apk files one by one.

Netflix: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/Netflix_2.1.2 build 787.apk I had audio issues on some shows until I rebooted, and an occasional freeze, but just hold down the "ouya" button on the controller to back out to home and open it up again.

Hulu Plus: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/Hulu Plus 2.6.201000.apk Seems to be working great!

Youtube: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.google.android.youtube.googletv-2.apk Works great.

Nova Launcher: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.teslacoilsw.launcher-1.apk Works great and opens up additional options in the settings menu. I choose to use this as the default launcher, since I can still access all my ouya games, and the ouya home from it much quicker than from ouya home.

Dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.dropbox.android-2.apk Works great with the controller, I use it to copy apps from my computer or phone easily.

Amazon App Store: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.amazon.venezia-2.apk Installed, logged in, and downloaded Angry birds, which didn't work so well.... Well, I mean it worked great, but was very difficult to play with the ouya controller. Time to hook up a bluetooth mouse. EDIT: after the initial time working so well, I cannot get it to work again. the main page opens but any app I click on it just brings up a blank screen. If anyone else experiences this please let me know...

XBMC: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...f76-Gotham_alpha2_stagefright-armeabi-v7a.apk This is the latest XBMC build with hardware decoding. I didn't try any local/network video yet, but the streaming video from break.com looked fine.

Pandora: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.pandora.android-1.apk Works great, but since it's the Android interface you'll have on screen adds unless you pay for prime, and the "X" to close it is very tiny. However on the plus side if you go to Settings > Developer Options > Uncheck Don't keep activities Pandora can run in the background with a 3rd party launcher. So right now I'm listening to Whitesnake and installing the next app on my list to check tonight.

Flixter: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/net.flixster.android-1.apk Works, but not always. Final Destination 5 kept freezing at the same point every time, but I watched several minutes of The Dark Knight Rises on wifi and the quality was good and I had no issues.

Chrome: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7653846/apps/com.android.chrome-1.apk Works great, but due to lack of gapps framework you can't sign in, so no tab/bookmark syncing yet.

Non-working/Glitchy:

Facebook - Installed, logged in with no problem, but the interface is far to large to use. Imagine pictures that are 2 - 3 times larger than the screen, with tiny text and you'll get the idea. plus it crashed for no reason....

Twitter - Installed, could not log on. Got the error "Cannot create account" when trying to log in.

SuperSu - Installed, but once inside it said SU needed an update, and installation of that update failed.
    Im having the same problem. Any solution yet?

To enable fastboot driver, add:

Code:
    ;NVIDIA Tegra
    %SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
    %CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01

to both sections [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTamd64] of driver\android_winusb.inf and install. Got ouya today and started playing. This solution worked for me, took from this post.
    Has anyone dabbled with xbmc yet?
    If so how is it performing?

I played around with it a little. I was able to stream in HD from icefilms with no major problems. The most glaring issue that I saw was if you have a video playing, and decide to pull up the menu, it can be pretty sluggish. I only played with it for about 10 minutes or so, though.
    Updated OP with tons of links to tested working apps.