Bootloader Unlock Beginners Guide (x,mini,ultra,maxx)

Search This thread

Jaocagomez

Sep 4, 2010
Mexico Culiacan
Hello, since i bought a Dev edition i noticed that there's no helpfull links to start with, so i though on making this thread to make other peoples life Easier.

Don't Forget to Thank All People of XDA on the Links on This Post, they deserve recognition for their help

Jaocagomez said:
First: Unlocking Bootloader
Unlock-Android.png

Once you got your Developer Edition Droid Maxx You'll have to unlock the Bootloader so you can flash recoveries, roms, themes and some other stuff. Remember that only in Dev edition you Don't lose your warranty if you unlock your bootloader.

Be careful, the process of unlocking your bootloader ERASES ALL YOUR DATA, so the first thing i recommend you to do is unlock your cellphone bootloader then use it.

To enter in fastboot mode with your phone off, press Power + Vol Down

Here's the Link to Unlock Your Bootloader: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...e/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth

To get Fastboot on your pc you can Download Minimal Adb and Fastboot which is lighter and faster than downloading full android SDK.

Also a Tip, when copying your device id, paste each line on the field one after another, and dont put spaces, sometimes when you copy-paste your device id you left a space and it shows as error.

If everything went ok, you are now fully unlocked and ready for the party.

Jaocagomez said:
Second: Get a Custom Recovery
2jc5ua8.jpg

Custom Recoveries remplace the stock android recovery and the main use of this is to flash roms, themes, backup, restore and some other things, Flashable Roms are always a .Zip Format
Theres lots of recoveries and they have different advantages and fails, but most of them can do the work.
To install you'll need just one line on fastboot.

Here's a List of Recoveries That work on our Device:

The most user friendly i know and the one i use is TWRP

Now, if you want to stay on stock Rom i Recommend installing Xposed and Gravity Box

Jaocagomez said:
Third: Root in TWRP
2wr2rle.jpg

For me the fastest Metod to root is Entering TWRP your first time, then Just exit
and before you exit TWRP will ask to install SU, swype to your right to install and then boot your phone again.
update the app, and thats all you are rooted.

There are other metods but the one i post here for me is faster and easier. you can look on the forums for more metods.

Jaocagomez said:
Optional: Installing Xposed And Gravity Box
20p6h3m.jpg

Xposed its an app that modifies the look and actions of your stock rom (or any rom) without the need to be flashing things, just by overriding on boot the stock files. Its pretty useful and Great for customization.
You can learn more about it Here and Here

iB4STiD from the Moto x Forum has a Flashable Xposed and Gravity Box Module, which is the easiest way to install it.
Just Download it and flash it on your recovery. after that, update the app and install the framework and reboot again, it should be working.

Jaocagomez said:
Fourth: Flashing Moto X Firmware.
2jf0wpe.jpg

Here comes the interesting Part, you can flash the Moto x Firmware and work with it.
the upside down? if you have a verizon sim card and flash a moto x tmobile firmware it will not work and so on, they are sim locked as it were a retail at&t/tmob/verizon device, so you are pretty much limited to flash the moto x verizon firmware and/or the sim card your carrier is. i currently dont know how to change that but i believe its posible.

the list of all the Moto x Firmware is here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

in order to flash these firmware you have to put all the contents of the firmware in the minimal adb folder and copy paste this commands to flash:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot reboot

just copy the code and paste it on the fastboot command line on your pc and you are all set.
it will boot as a moto x.

When you Install Moto X Firmware, soft keys will stop to work and you'll have on-screen keys just like moto x, in order to fix this you can flash this fixed framework-res by Skrilax_CZ and uploaded by Gundabolu SC on your recovery and you'll have a moto x firmware and soft keys working, that framework only works on android 4.4.

To come back to Droid Maxx Stock Verizon 4.4, download the Droid maxx firmware here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=4
put your phone on fastboot mode and
and run the flash_all.bat inside the .zip file, it will boot up again as a normal droid maxx.

If you do something wrong, your phone force closes, or you screw up, remember that you can always flash firmware back to Droid Maxx Stock Rom, so Dont worry.
Jaocagomez said:
Five: Installing Moto X Roms
28mfoyq.jpg

You can install Moto X Roms, from moto x forum, just flash the required Moto X firmware, install a recovery then download the Rom .zip and finally to flash the rom on the recovery, and you are all set to enjoy a custom rom. oh dont forget the capacitive keys fix if you want your keys working.

Currently there is Kangakat, PAC, Eclipse, CM11, Gummy, Liquid smooth kitkat and some others, you can check them out here:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development
Jaocagomez said:
Six: Staying on Stock Verizon Rom

If you decided to stay on verizon's 4.4 stock rom, i recommend you to install Gravity box, change your status bar to white and install this moded Sistemui.apk by erishasnobattery so you stay as close as AOSP as you can.

you can also install the google now launcher located HERE for a closer look to a nexus 5

Or you can install my Debloated stock rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716824

Don't Forget to Thank All People of XDA on the Links on This Post, they deserve recognition for their help

Edit1:
Changed Thread name to accomodate Moto x, mini, ultra
Edit2:
Added Quotes to the steps to make reading easier.

Last edited:

spiral777

Oct 21, 2011
Chicago
Nexus 6
Google Pixel
Thank you for this, i actually just finished going through all of this a few days ago and have gravity box and xposed going on the stock 4.4 Verizon Rom...

Do you have twrp and Safestrap going at the same time?

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
SafeStrap is for "Locked" bootloader only..TWRP is for "UnLocked" bootloader..

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
XT1080MDEV (aka) Droid Maxx DE

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
My current setup with the modes system ui, Google now launcher and gravity box.
uploadfromtaptalk1392820340540.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

xkwwwx

Mar 12, 2010
Is anyone having issues with 4.4? i have read on the forums that it's better to stay with 4.2.2 camera fix. and that you can't downgrade after 4.4 ota.
I am looking for a do's and dont's from experienced DE users.
thanks

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
Is anyone having issues with 4.4? i have read on the forums that it's better to stay with 4.2.2 camera fix. and that you can't downgrade after 4.4 ota.
I am looking for a do's and dont's from experienced DE users.
thanks

I, personally, haven't had any issues on 4.4 yet. You can downgrade the boot, system and recovery images as well as the modem, but the bootloader and gpt.bin stays on 4.4. If you DO decide to downgrade I would highly recommend freezing the OTA as there is a possibility of bricking the device if you take an OTA. If you downgrade to 12.7.7, the pre camera update, and try to take an update to 12.15.15 you WILL hard brick. I am unsure of what happens if you downgrade to 12.15.15 and update to KitKat.

AshyKnuttz

Jan 27, 2011
Be sure there is no space in the very front of the line also..
Also..is your device new out of the box.? Maybe you will need to call Motorola.?

I just typed it out number/letter by number/letter so its not spaces. it is fresh out of the box, i just got it earlier today

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I just typed it out number/letter by number/letter so its not spaces. it is fresh out of the box, i just got it earlier today

Sir..did you manage "Unlock".. what has been your path, results.?

I found that copy/paste worked really well..then after paste, go to the box and carefully delete any space..even in front, delete that space also..

I mention this eventhow you may have yours Unlocked..So others will see the correct procedure when pasting to the site box..and avoid troubles (possibly)..

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G

xkwwwx

Mar 12, 2010

I found that copy/paste worked really well..then after paste, go to the box and carefully delete any space..even in front, delete that space also..

I mention this eventhow you may have yours Unlocked..So others will see the correct procedure when pasting to the site box..and avoid troubles (possibly)..

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G

yes sir --right where i want to be thanks to you jcase and hashcode! thanks to all!!

Reactions: NWKENT

AshyKnuttz

Jan 27, 2011

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
XT1028 (aka) Moto-G

I talked to online costumer support Thursday night, and they set me up with a ticket for the "level 2" technicians. I was going to call yesterday but couldn't because of work. Then, just now this morning, I tried again, same key, just copy and paste, and it worked. I can only assume it didn't work at first because I had just received and activated the phone earlier that day, it must take some time before it registers in their system or something.

Reactions: NWKENT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, since i bought a Dev edition i noticed that there's no helpfull links to start with, so i though on making this thread to make other peoples life Easier.

Jaocagomez said:
    First: Unlocking Bootloader
    Unlock-Android.png

Once you got your Developer Edition Droid Maxx You'll have to unlock the Bootloader so you can flash recoveries, roms, themes and some other stuff. Remember that only in Dev edition you Don't lose your warranty if you unlock your bootloader.

Be careful, the process of unlocking your bootloader ERASES ALL YOUR DATA, so the first thing i recommend you to do is unlock your cellphone bootloader then use it.

To enter in fastboot mode with your phone off, press Power + Vol Down

Here's the Link to Unlock Your Bootloader: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...e/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a/action/auth

To get Fastboot on your pc you can Download Minimal Adb and Fastboot which is lighter and faster than downloading full android SDK.

Also a Tip, when copying your device id, paste each line on the field one after another, and dont put spaces, sometimes when you copy-paste your device id you left a space and it shows as error.

If everything went ok, you are now fully unlocked and ready for the party.

Jaocagomez said:
    Second: Get a Custom Recovery
    2jc5ua8.jpg

Custom Recoveries remplace the stock android recovery and the main use of this is to flash roms, themes, backup, restore and some other things, Flashable Roms are always a .Zip Format
    Theres lots of recoveries and they have different advantages and fails, but most of them can do the work.
    To install you'll need just one line on fastboot.

Here's a List of Recoveries That work on our Device:

The most user friendly i know and the one i use is TWRP

Now, if you want to stay on stock Rom i Recommend installing Xposed and Gravity Box

Jaocagomez said:
    Third: Root in TWRP
    2wr2rle.jpg

For me the fastest Metod to root is Entering TWRP your first time, then Just exit
    and before you exit TWRP will ask to install SU, swype to your right to install and then boot your phone again.
    update the app, and thats all you are rooted.

There are other metods but the one i post here for me is faster and easier. you can look on the forums for more metods.

Jaocagomez said:
    Optional: Installing Xposed And Gravity Box
    20p6h3m.jpg

Xposed its an app that modifies the look and actions of your stock rom (or any rom) without the need to be flashing things, just by overriding on boot the stock files. Its pretty useful and Great for customization.
    You can learn more about it Here and Here

iB4STiD from the Moto x Forum has a Flashable Xposed and Gravity Box Module, which is the easiest way to install it.
    Just Download it and flash it on your recovery. after that, update the app and install the framework and reboot again, it should be working.

Jaocagomez said:
    Fourth: Flashing Moto X Firmware.
    2jf0wpe.jpg

Here comes the interesting Part, you can flash the Moto x Firmware and work with it.
    the upside down? if you have a verizon sim card and flash a moto x tmobile firmware it will not work and so on, they are sim locked as it were a retail at&t/tmob/verizon device, so you are pretty much limited to flash the moto x verizon firmware and/or the sim card your carrier is. i currently dont know how to change that but i believe its posible.

the list of all the Moto x Firmware is here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0

in order to flash these firmware you have to put all the contents of the firmware in the minimal adb folder and copy paste this commands to flash:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
    fastboot reboot

just copy the code and paste it on the fastboot command line on your pc and you are all set.
    it will boot as a moto x.

When you Install Moto X Firmware, soft keys will stop to work and you'll have on-screen keys just like moto x, in order to fix this you can flash this fixed framework-res by Skrilax_CZ and uploaded by Gundabolu SC on your recovery and you'll have a moto x firmware and soft keys working, that framework only works on android 4.4.

To come back to Droid Maxx Stock Verizon 4.4, download the Droid maxx firmware here: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=4
    put your phone on fastboot mode and
    and run the flash_all.bat inside the .zip file, it will boot up again as a normal droid maxx.

If you do something wrong, your phone force closes, or you screw up, remember that you can always flash firmware back to Droid Maxx Stock Rom, so Dont worry.
    Jaocagomez said:
    Five: Installing Moto X Roms
    28mfoyq.jpg

You can install Moto X Roms, from moto x forum, just flash the required Moto X firmware, install a recovery then download the Rom .zip and finally to flash the rom on the recovery, and you are all set to enjoy a custom rom. oh dont forget the capacitive keys fix if you want your keys working.

Currently there is Kangakat, PAC, Eclipse, CM11, Gummy, Liquid smooth kitkat and some others, you can check them out here:

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development
    Jaocagomez said:
    Six: Staying on Stock Verizon Rom

If you decided to stay on verizon's 4.4 stock rom, i recommend you to install Gravity box, change your status bar to white and install this moded Sistemui.apk by erishasnobattery so you stay as close as AOSP as you can.

you can also install the google now launcher located HERE for a closer look to a nexus 5

Or you can install my Debloated stock rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2716824

Edit1:
    Changed Thread name to accomodate Moto x, mini, ultra
    Edit2:
    Added Quotes to the steps to make reading easier.
    Why you gotta be so good at helping people??:p Haha. Thanks alot, man! You're freaking super helpful to everyone!

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

Thank you for your kind words my friend..I certainly hope that will help you and others..

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
    TWRP 2.6.3.2-falcon
    XT1028 Moto G
    http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode
    (if you can)

---------- Post added at 02:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

Is there any way around that? Haha

Friend..I was just looking into the .xml in question..he has already taken care of the NO ERASE issue for you..the "cache" will be erased..but not the data..

That Topsnake is a first rate guy..he certainly has helped me tremendously.!
    :)

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
    TWRP 2.6.3.2-falcon
    XT1028 Moto G

(if you can)
    How do you boot into recovery?

With the device powered Off..push and hold (Volume -) and (Power) buttons at same time, for at least three seconds, release both, then with (Volume -) button, scroll to (Recovery) then press the (Volume +) button, now when green Andy laying on back with red triangle, press and hold (Volume +) button, then press and release (Power) button..Navigate with the (Volume) buttons..once choice is highlited, press the (Power) button to select.

Is there any way around that? Haha

Absolutely..
    In your unzipped folder of your FXZ..
    1) Make a copy of the .xml file..rename the original file extention to look like this >> .xmlORG

2) Now..the copy that you made, open with "Note Pad".. find these two lines that state "erase data" & "erase cache".. delete both of these lines..then save..

Now flash..your personal data will survive..by removing these two lines..you are removing the command to erase..there are many different options with a modified .xml file..if one learns these commands and how to manipulate with the .xml file..in some of my FXZ's..I may have five or six .xml files..for different applications..

I use RSDLite in these situations..much faster and simpler..instead of cumbersome adb..not discriminating adb..because one absolutely needs adb sometimes..but when flashing the whole OS..RSDLite for me is the way to go..

If you ever wish to erase with the same FXZ..just rename the .xml file to something like this >> .xmlMOD then rename the original back to an .xml by removing the ORG..anotherwords.. You will have two .xml files that you switch around, depending on whether you wish to ERASE or NOT ERASE..with some of my personal FXZ's..I may have five or six .xml files, depending on what I wish to manipulate..I just add a number to the .xml extension..this way, one is not renaming every time that one wishes to flash a certain way..its what I do..just me thow..

I reply to this public thread, instead of PM..because many others can learn from this..that's why I'm here..not to gain..but help others learn..it can be very frustrating to learn all this "stuff"..every little bit one picks up on..that one will benefit..

My post is off topic/context..I'm sorry @ OP..delete it if needed..

sent by my 4.3_14.14.14
    TWRP 2.6.3.2-falcon
    XT1028 Moto G

(if you can)