[Q] No service on new Nexus 5, but data works

Search This thread

KristianK

May 31, 2014
Hi,

Just bought a brand new Nexus 5 from a person wanting to keep his iPhone.
Everything is working fine, except it says "No service" (sometimes with one bar, sometimes with all four). Data is working fine though, but neither SMS/MMS or phonecalls works. Sometimes, when i reset/reboot i doesn't say "No Service", but after one single phonecall it reverts back to "No Service" and only data works again.

Iv'e tried resetting with the firmware on the phone from the start, tried flashing both kot49h and krt16m, tried getting a new sim (which works fine in my old Nexus 3), tried different radio-settings but nothing works for me.

Any thought of, what I can do? (before I ship it off to repair, which would cost quite a lot)

Thanks, in advance!

J

justinisloco

Hi,

Just bought a brand new Nexus 5 from a person wanting to keep his iPhone.
Everything is working fine, except it says "No service" (sometimes with one bar, sometimes with all four). Data is working fine though, but neither SMS/MMS or phonecalls works. Sometimes, when i reset/reboot i doesn't say "No Service", but after one single phonecall it reverts back to "No Service" and only data works again.

Iv'e tried resetting with the firmware on the phone from the start, tried flashing both kot49h and krt16m, tried getting a new sim (which works fine in my old Nexus 3), tried different radio-settings but nothing works for me.

Any thought of, what I can do? (before I ship it off to repair, which would cost quite a lot)

Thanks, in advance!

Does the phone even show an imei number?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

J

justinisloco

A European one called Telia, or TeliaSonara, depending on your country. I live in Denmark, and here it's called Telia.

Have you tried Settings >More>Mobile Networks>Network Operators and play around with those?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SteveMurphy

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 22, 2012
Atlanta
More>Mobile Network Settings>Access Point Names

You need to either update or add your APN for your provider, then everything will work for you. Flashing modems probably won't help you. Also, make sure the Sim card you have is active.

KristianK

May 31, 2014

You need to either update or add your APN for your provider, then everything will work for you. Flashing modems probably won't help you. Also, make sure the Sim card you have is active.
Iv'e checked and double-checked all of the APN-settings. They should be allright. Also, the sim is active (and it works fine in my Nexus 3)

Zestia

Jun 1, 2014
Dansker her også;)

The problem you have, i faced that when my old phone got stolen. So less then a week ago my old phone got stolen (got it back, but bought a nexus 5 now :3) i called the insurance company and police to report it stolen, and i got it IMEI locked with the help of the police. And when that happends you wont be able to call or text from it, but your data will work for tracking it.
So my guess is that its a stolen phone and the original owner reported it stolen to the police, and now its IMEI locked.

Try and call the police and give them the IMEI number, and tell them what you told us and ask if its locked.
Great day to you!

gd6noob

Apr 29, 2011
Did you check to see if your phone is blacklisted for being lost/stolen?

Phone Calls dont use apn settings... Even with no apn settings you are able to make calls.. Well at least in Canada... Not sure about other country but i think it would be the same...

Sent from my Nexus5 using Tapatalk