[Q] Flashing CWM Recovery - What can go wrong?

Search This thread
Apr 19, 2014
Hello :)

I'm creating a ClockworkMod recovery for my phone (K-Touch W68) and before I go any further, I wanted to check how dangerous this is?

How likely am I to brick the phone?

And, if I flash the wrong thing, how easy is it to recover?

I extracted the recovery using this (following a similar thread)
Code:
cat /dev/block/platform/sdhci.1/by-name/recovery > /mnt/sdcard/recovery.img

I've built a new recovery.img using builder.clockworkmod.com and was going to apply it using the following and then restart
Code:
cat recovery.img > /dev/block/platform/sdhci.1/by-name/recovery

Sound ok? :confused:

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
If you don't have a way to reload the stock OS either from the manufacturer or with a tool like MTK Droid (I'm assuming it has a MediaTek chip as most of those kinds of phones have them), then it will be risky. Sometimes it just doesn't do anything. Sometimes it messes up the recovery partition, but you can still boot. And sometimes it'll bootloop you. Not much way to tell without testing. :)

Apr 19, 2014
If you don't have a way to reload the stock OS either from the manufacturer or with a tool like MTK Droid (I'm assuming it has a MediaTek chip as most of those kinds of phones have them), then it will be risky. Sometimes it just doesn't do anything. Sometimes it messes up the recovery partition, but you can still boot. And sometimes it'll bootloop you. Not much way to tell without testing. :)

Thanks for the reply.

The CPU is actually a Broadcom BCM21663 which seems pretty rare :( (other similar phones: Symphony W68, Karbonn A8). There are K-Touch W68 ROMs on needrom.com and some Broadcom flashing tools for the Karbonn A8 (can't post links yet).