[MOD] Galaxy S5 Add Mobile Data Toggle to Quick Settings (Requires Sqlite & Root)

Search This thread

risestar2

Jul 31, 2011
Just a quick note to add that the mod (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2342370 )to add the missing mobiledata toggle back into the notification panel works for the Galaxy S5 once rooted. The older version of sqllite editor in the original thread is not compatible with Android 4.42 however, you can use the new version available in the Playstore ($2.99) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

T-Mobile has the annoying tenancy to remove the mobile data toggle from the notification panel and the latest GS5 and 4.4.2 is no different. Not a huge issue for those that are on the current T-Mobile plans that allow data roaming internationally, but if you are on one of the older T-Mobile plans that don't allow that, or if you are like me planning to use my unlocked T-Mobile GS5 on another network, having that toggle is handy to avoid pricy data overages.

-------------------

As per the original thread, the same instructions apply;

1) Download sqlite editor app from the Playstore. (Older free versions force close on 4.4.2)

2) Open the app and give it root permissions. It should populate a list.

3) Scroll and Tap the "Settings Storage"

4) Tap "Settings.db"

5) Tap "System"

6) Scroll down until you find "notification_panel_active_app_list", tap to highlight it. I noticed its a little hard to get it highlighted because it seems to want to highlight the one under it. So you might have to tap the one right above it to get it highlighted. Make sure its the notification_panel_active_app_list, and NOT the notification_panel_default_active_app_list. I picked the wrong one the first time and it didnt work.

7) Once it is highlighted tap the phones menu button.

8) Tap "Edit Record"

9) You'll see a list of all the toggles that are currently enabled to show in notification area.

10) At the bottom of the list add ; and the words MobileData then another ;. So it will look like this at the end. ;AirplaneMode;MobileData; Then press Save.

11) Reboot and you should have a data toggle now. You can now use the edit feature and move it anywhere you want in the list of toggles.

Note: After I edited it and rebooted the "notification_panel_active_app_list" moved closer to the bottom of the list. So if you go back in and dont see it scroll further down

--------------------

bink1r

Apr 2, 2011
Just a quick note to add that the mod (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2342370 )to add the missing mobiledata toggle back into the notification panel works for the Galaxy S5 once rooted. The older version of sqllite editor in the original thread is not compatible with Android 4.42 however, you can use the new version available in the Playstore ($2.99) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor

T-Mobile has the annoying tenancy to remove the mobile data toggle from the notification panel and the latest GS5 and 4.4.2 is no different. Not a huge issue for those that are on the current T-Mobile plans that allow data roaming internationally, but if you are on one of the older T-Mobile plans that don't allow that, or if you are like me planning to use my unlocked T-Mobile GS5 on another network, having that toggle is handy to avoid pricy data overages.

-------------------

1) Download sqlite editor app from the Playstore. (Older free versions force close on 4.4.2)

4) Tap "Settings.db"

5) Tap "System"

6) Scroll down until you find "notification_panel_active_app_list", tap to highlight it. I noticed its a little hard to get it highlighted because it seems to want to highlight the one under it. So you might have to tap the one right above it to get it highlighted. Make sure its the notification_panel_active_app_list, and NOT the notification_panel_default_active_app_list. I picked the wrong one the first time and it didnt work.

8) Tap "Edit Record"

9) You'll see a list of all the toggles that are currently enabled to show in notification area.

10) At the bottom of the list add ; and the words MobileData then another ;. So it will look like this at the end. ;AirplaneMode;MobileData; Then press Save.

11) Reboot and you should have a data toggle now. You can now use the edit feature and move it anywhere you want in the list of toggles.

Note: After I edited it and rebooted the "notification_panel_active_app_list" moved closer to the bottom of the list. So if you go back in and dont see it scroll further down

--------------------

You can use the old version of SQL. You just need to download TB Restore Fixer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Skyrocket2

Sep 21, 2012
You can use the old version of SQL. You just need to download TB Restore Fixer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I downloaded TB Restore Fixer, but SQL still crashed. Can you tell me how you did it to get the older SQL version to work? Really want to add the Data toggle in the notification bar.

Aou

Aug 4, 2008
Arizona
Just a related comment I had about turning off Data:

On my AT&T S4, I would frequently use the data toggle for saving the last ~10% of battery after a long day or two of use. I found that simply switching data (and wifi) off saved a ton of battery, keeping my phone alive for emergencies on that last few percent for much longer than it would if I were to allow apps like Facebook to constantly fish for updates.

The power-save icon seems like it "might" do the trick, but I wish it had the option to just fully turn off mobile data instead of "limiting" it.

Once I finally root my device, this will probably be one of the first things I do. Thanks!

Skyrocket2

Sep 21, 2012
Just a related comment I had about turning off Data:

On my AT&T S4, I would frequently use the data toggle for saving the last ~10% of battery after a long day or two of use. I found that simply switching data (and wifi) off saved a ton of battery, keeping my phone alive for emergencies on that last few percent for much longer than it would if I were to allow apps like Facebook to constantly fish for updates.

The power-save icon seems like it "might" do the trick, but I wish it had the option to just fully turn off mobile data instead of "limiting" it.

Once I finally root my device, this will probably be one of the first things I do. Thanks!

Yeah, I just want to be able to turn the data on and off through the notification bar instead of going to the settings.

Skyrocket2

Sep 21, 2012
Got it to work using SQlite Editor version 2.0.1. I now have my mobile data toggle on the notification bar.

NghtWachman

Nov 1, 2012
The Center, Texas
SQLite Editor not saving tether settings

I've tried changing my tethering settings but every time I reboot SQLite will revert to previous settings which is preventing use of tethering.

With Samsung Galaxy S5 it looks like some of the values have been changed to some extent. Going through some of the id's values I notice not all the values are consistent, I've notice with some id's 1 will represent disable while 0 represent enabled while with other id's 1 is enabled and 0 represent disabled values.

Im a little confused as to the reason behind such confusion maybe other devs can shed some light as to what is going on here.

Some settings seem to work like changing and adding MobileData and WiFiHotspot values worked with no problem.

gcirvini

Oct 26, 2014
worked great sprint S5 SM-G900P!!

download the app here:

download.apks.org/?server=13&apkid=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor&ver=2.1.1

Reactions: dimm0k

viclx7

Nov 5, 2014
not working

It did not work on my GS5 T-Mobile, I rooted my device, downloaded Sqlite, followed all the steps, but when I rebooted my device, the mobile data toggle didnt appear just the normal ones are there

---------- Post added at 10:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 AM ----------

OK found my mistake, I clicked on Notification_panel_applications_for_reset I found the normal one by using the search option and it worked perfectly! Ty so much!

Edgar J.

Sep 13, 2011
Hello, nice mod, does something similar can be done for Hotspot/Thethering toggle? adding a ;Hotspot; or ;Thethering; ?? Thanks!

xCAVEMANx

Mar 1, 2009
I just used the reset one and when I rebooted I reset it and boom it was there. AT&T G900A

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

Hello, nice mod, does something similar can be done for Hotspot/Thethering toggle? adding a ;Hotspot; or ;Thethering; ?? Thanks!

Read Post #9

Malfreds

Oct 30, 2011
I didn´t get if the free app could be used or not, so I bought it and tried. It worked perfectly on G900T1 MetroPCS.
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-------------------

4) Tap "Settings.db"

5) Tap "System"

8) Tap "Edit Record"

--------------------
    Just an fyi, all the toggles will be baked into the new version of my Project Infinity rom later today.
    Does anyone know the wording to add the hotspot (wifi tether) toggle?

;WiFiHotspot;

Caps sensitive
    Does anyone know the wording to add the hotspot (wifi tether) toggle?
    worked great sprint S5 SM-G900P!!

download the app here:

download.apks.org/?server=13&apkid=com.speedsoftware.sqleditor&ver=2.1.1