[Guide] INCREASING INTERNAL MEMORY

Search This thread
Jun 26, 2013
Nairobi
Redmi Note 9 Pro
Partitions

Thanks. When step d) is completed... what happens with the partition that was created... is mounted on the micro sd card, as a partition on itself?

I have another question. Is there an app/way to install directly to micro sd card, as if there is no need to move the apps later, because they go where is needed to in the first place?

Is there a way to move dalvik cache as well?

Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure about how exactly android deals with these partitons, but I do know that ClockWork Recovery still recognises it under the Sd card.
If you were to want to reclaim the swap file, just select ext size and then select swap size as 0.
I think to recover The ext, you would have to use a computer.

All android lets you see though, is the size of the main partition, at least as of android 2.3.6.
Not sure about later versions.

Hope this helps.

About the dalvik cache. I personally don't know but I would like to find out as well. If anybody knows, let neier24 and myself know.

Last edited:

cuneiform

Jan 12, 2013
A Very Important Issue

They say that Link2SD does not work correctly with newer phones and such
cards' designations as sdcard0 (internal storage), sdcard1 (external card), which I can see in my ZP950 with Android 4.1.2 after making an additional ext2 partition active on the external SD-card. And there is no way out. Is that true?

In my old tablet, there is Android 4.0., and the designation of directories or folders is Internal Storage and SD-Card (external),
and Link2SD works perfectly after I have made ext3 partition working on the external SD card.

Now, after installing Link2SD into a newer smartphone ZP950 , I have got in Total Commander SD-Card
and SD-Card(2) while the native explorer in Android 4.1.2 writes them down as Phone Storage and SD-Card.
Does it make any difference indeed?

Will you please explain, what is this all stuff about?! THX

Sorry for asking this elsewhere at xda one more time, but this issue implies that Link2SD may have some exclusions in its use.

Last edited:

himanshu.khanna

Mar 6, 2013
Is dere any similar app that does some work as Link2SD but on non rooted phone? Plz help

Sent from my HTC Desire X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Heatshiver

Dec 29, 2010
Let me ask this a different way, how do you TEST it to know it works? Is there a way to check something to ensure it is working, not just do it and think it works?

Heatshiver

Dec 29, 2010
I don't see a difference, as I don't have many apps. But for people who are curious if this is working, you can use a file explorer and go to data>sdext# (that should not only be the size of the partition you chose, but also have all the apps you symlinked there).

OP, you may want to add that to your initial post because the "try it and see" method doesn't mean anything in terms of things like this.

Reactions: acermedo

acermedo

Aug 18, 2013
Cairo
I don't see a difference, as I don't have many apps. But for people who are curious if this is working, you can use a file explorer and go to data>sdext# (that should not only be the size of the partition you chose, but also have all the apps you symlinked there).

OP, you may want to add that to your initial post because the "try it and see" method doesn't mean anything in terms of things like this.

Sorry for "try it and see" and thanks for the tip

Sent from my GT-B5512 using xda premium

Last edited:

vikash0513

Jul 21, 2012
Netherlands
I cannot link apps anymore

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-10-23-18-13-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-10-23-18-13-59.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 676

E-Chan42

Nov 25, 2010
slight fails

I've been using this for a week on my 4.2.1 MIUI but every boot I have a different number of apps and rarely do I have all 114 apps on my phone, sometimes 90 then I reboot and it's 105, you get the gist.

I'm using ext 4 and the latest version of the app available on playstore.options are set to auto internal and auto link. Only apps that dissapear are linked ones.

thanks

acermedo

Aug 18, 2013
Cairo
Did you try to repartition your sdcard and use ext3
Or try to fix the partition with gparted
And if the problem still change your sdcard and see if this would happen again

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS GUIDE IS TO SHOW YOU HOW TO INCREASE INTERNAL MEMORY OF ANY ANDROID DEVICE BY PARTITIONING

Note
    • This guide will partition your sdcard to make a part of your sdcard works like the internal memory that you can move your apps to it.
    • This guide will never increase the real internal memory (Storage in taskmanger) as it is impossible to be done.

First,

you have to do is to partition your SD Card and for doing this you have to: Download Mini tool Partition.

2- Install the application on your PC and connect your SD card to your PC with Card Reader.

3- Open Mini Tool Partition in your PC and when the wizards open click on your SD Card and select Delete option. !!!(Note: This will format your SD Card completely mean that it will erase your data permanently, so before doing this backup your data at any place in PC or other Storage device.) When the Formatting of your SD Card is completed then, you have whole of space of your SD Card as unallocated

4- then Right click SD Card and select create option. A popup box will open giving you options for making partition; select the partition as primary and file system as FAT if SD Card is less than 4GB or FAT32 if your SD Card is more than 4GB. Leave about 512 MB or more space (your choice) for creating the next partition.

5- Then select done and do right click on unallocated space of your SD Card and again click create option. Select Primary partition but change the file system to Ext2, Ext3 or Ext4. Note: (Ext2 is recommended as most ROMs work fine with it). Click Apply Changes and then process goes on for the few minutes and then partition is completed.

6- Install Link2sd from Google Play
    On the first launch of the app, it will ask for root permissions and then, it will ask you the file system of the .ext partition that you had earlier made, choose the option as you had choose in the partitioning steps.

Sort the apps according to size and start linking them and then you have done your task.

Now you have your Phone’s Internal Memory+ Ext file size made by you in your SD Card. Now you can move your apps from your device memory to SD Card and simultaneously your device speed will also be increased. :D

I know there are many posts like this post but hit thanks button if you see mine first :D
    OP should give credits to actual OP who took pain to create screenshots.

Also guys dont select storage as "external" in auto link. Link2sd dev recommends "internal" storage to avoid conflicts. Also I see this increases space in internal in storage info.

Ext2 fills up. You see widgets for all linked apps :) as phone assumes app installed as internal memory.

Also linking better than native app2sd or move to sd method and it retains apps in memory even if sd card is removed!!! during usb connection according to dev.

Read link2sd FAQ very helpful. :thumbup:

God is Original Developer :)
    Also use FolderMount to move huge OBB and DATA files to SD card

I've been using FolderMount along with Link2SD. FolderMount allows you to also move the HUGE OBB and DATA files that large games often make you download (some up to 2 GB!!!) Link2SD does not link these large files (it links APK and other smaller files) so they work together beautifully. Together they are truly huge space savers! Just search for FolderMount on the Play store.

Cheers!!! ;)
    Clockwork Recovery

To partition, you don't necessarily have to use a 3rd party PC based partitioning tool.
    If your phone is rooted, with Clockwork Recovery flashed, you can simply:

a)Backup your Sd Card on another device.(As warned, the process wipes the sd card clean)
    b)Reboot your device into Recovery mode.
    c)Select Advanced, then Partition SD Card
    d)First menu lets you choose the size of the ext
    e)Second menu lets you choose the size of the swap file.

When your done partitioning, you will have both an ext and a swap file, no 3rd party partitioning app needed.

You'll need an app like Swapper2 for the swap partition and the aforementioned Link2Sd for the ext

Hit thanks if this helps. :highfive::good:
    Nice guide.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app

....HIT THANKS IF I HELPED....