[Q] Nook Color Root?

Search This thread

shograt

Mar 7, 2010
I'm having the same problem. IIRC, they are missing a step from the previous directions... Please don't take my word on this, It's been too long, I'll check, and repost.

When you are sshing into the device, you are sshing into the filesystem that you dd'ed onto the sdcard. It's really nothing more than a mockup of the real filesystem. You'll need to mount the actual filesystem in order to get access to the real /mnt/app.

when you finish sshing into the nook,
# cd /dev; mknod mmcblk1p6 b 179 14 ; mount -o rw mmcblk1p6 /mnt

That's if I actually understand what is going on. Which is doubtful. I've been off of linux too long. I can't get #nookcolor to respond to this question either.

Anyone willing to confirm/deny/redicule me?

I'm willing to confirm, as I just tried it, and there's glorious app, mounted at /mnt. Muchos gracias!

Novaglarion

May 29, 2009
Bloomington, IL
First, thank you to all of you who have put in the hard work/put up with those of us who aren't as skilled at this stuff.

I haven't been able to get my windows 7 machine to recognize the NC under ADB.

The Steps I have performed are:

1. performed dd in cygwin on windows 7 machine **
  2. put card into nook
  3. booted per instructions on nookdevs
  4. added VID/PID to android_winusb.inf
  5. added VID to adb_usb.ini

I have a bunch of questions:

• When the SD card is in, I'm getting a CDC Composite object with VID_0525&PID_A4AA, not VID_2080&PID_0002. Does this mean that it didn't work?
  • When I remove the card and reboot, the NC mounts without issue - I have tried forcing the ADB driver onto the NC, but that did not help ADB find it. Does this mean that it didn't work?
  • I don't understand (from nookdev) when in this process I'm supposed to try and sideload. I would have expected it to be after the entire process is complete, but then they say at the bottom that you have to go through the entire process again to load more apps, leading me to believe it doesn't happen after reboot. However, sideloading at both of these is failing for me, as ADB won't recognize the nook in either configuration. When should I attempt to sideload?

**I am keeping in mind the possibility that cygwin botched dd and I need to do this in nix but I was hoping to avoid having to reboot.

Exact same issue here, same hardware ID as well. I used the winimage method not cygwin dd. gonna try booing into ubuntu live now i guess.

zedley

Nov 30, 2010
This may help except I don't any an entry for "Nook" in my device manager. I have B&N Ebook Disk USB Device under disk drives but it won't let me update the driver on it.

EDIT: I have ADB working for my DROID if that means anything.

This is my problem. I'm wondering if winimage under Win7 isn't working. Is there any way to tell (on the Nook itself, perhaps) if the root actually worked? The CDC composite device only shows up under the Device Manager if the MiniSD card is inserted and the NC booted from it. When it boots after the SD card is removed, the Nook shows up under devices with two B&N Ebook Disk USB Devices (the internal storage and the MiniSD card, I presume) and a USB Mass Storage Device.

EDIT: As a further note, I installed ADB and can get ADB Devices to return nothing in the command prompt, and have a .android folder in my User Profile ... but no adb_usb.ini.

Last edited:

shograt

Mar 7, 2010
I'm having the same problem. IIRC, they are missing a step from the previous directions... Please don't take my word on this, It's been too long, I'll check, and repost.

When you are sshing into the device, you are sshing into the filesystem that you dd'ed onto the sdcard. It's really nothing more than a mockup of the real filesystem. You'll need to mount the actual filesystem in order to get access to the real /mnt/app.

when you finish sshing into the nook,
# cd /dev; mknod mmcblk1p6 b 179 14 ; mount -o rw mmcblk1p6 /mnt

That's if I actually understand what is going on. Which is doubtful. I've been off of linux too long. I can't get #nookcolor to respond to this question either.

Anyone willing to confirm/deny/redicule me?

I'm willing to confirm, as I just tried it, and there's glorious app, mounted at /mnt. Muchos gracias!

oakleyrdc

Feb 24, 2010
3. Windows + R and type int "C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\.android\adb_usb.ini"

Add the nook color device ID to it 0x2080

It should look like this

Code:
# ANDROID 3RD PARTY USB VENDOR ID LIST -- DO NOT EDIT.
# USE 'android update adb' TO GENERATE.
# 1 USB VENDOR ID PER LINE.
0x2080

Where am I supposed to type this?

scotthellewell

Feb 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
I have no idea what could be wrong. I have got it booting off of the microsd card and rebooted, but it doesn't seem to be enabling adb. No devices show in device manager in Windows. Putting the card back in and restarting allows me to SSH into the device from linux.

I check /mnt/property/persist.service.adb.enable

and it has a value of 1.

But still rebooting it never enables adb. I am lost as to what to do. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

bobdude5

Jan 12, 2009
Tustin
how the hell am i supposed to know if sdcard worked..i tried it on ubuntu, windows with winimage and mac! l;sdjfl;jk HELP ME PLEASSSE!!!

TheDrizzle89

Sep 21, 2010
It's the compatibility mode check box. To get it to work on the Galaxy Tab you have to:

1) Uncheck compatibility mode, then check it again

2) Reboot

3)Go back to spare parts, uncheck compatibility mode, this time leave it unchecked

4) Reboot again.

Now they should be full screen. Again, this is on the Galaxy Tab so hopefully this will work on the nook too. Good luck.

Where in spare parts do you find the resizing item?

smarcisin

Apr 14, 2008
okay so i plug my sdcard in through a usb reader and type in the # dd line in terminal and nothing happens. what is supposed to happen after i hit enter?

Consolenomad

Jul 18, 2010
Working: Citrix & WYSE PocketCloud

Thanks guys - this is truly awesome. Picked one up after work and had it rooted it no time. In case anyone is wondering, I was able to install WYSE PocketCloud as well as Citrix with no issues.

Thanks again to all the devs that made this happen!

RichTJ99

Oct 23, 2006
NY
Thanks, I am actually using it on my G-Tablet (viewsonic) & I have not rooted my Nook yet, I am waiting for it to get a little more foolproof (for me the fool).

However, it works awesome on the G-tablet so thank you very much! Full screen engaget.

mad5427

Nov 29, 2010
rm -r /system/app/[full app name]

I typed this in with the full app name and it says:

No such file or directory

Is there a specific name for the location of these files. I can't seem to find the apk files anywhere and don't know where to look to even remove them.

It's all great that I've been able to load these files, but what if somebody needs to remove them. Has anybody had success removing apk files from their nook color? What did you do. Nothing I am trying is working.

EDIT: I tried typing in adb shell rm <full app name>

It said rm failed for <full app name>, Read-only file system. How can I make this read-write and not read-only? I think I'm getting there.

Last edited:

cabbieBot

Apr 5, 2010
twitter.com
If anyone who used Win7 to do it would post the steps they took, from beginning to end, it would be really welcomed. Currently this is like trying to stitch together patchwork, its hard to tell when and where some peoples fixes are supposed to go.

Pinesal

Jan 28, 2009
This is my problem. I'm wondering if winimage under Win7 isn't working. Is there any way to tell (on the Nook itself, perhaps) if the root actually worked? The CDC composite device only shows up under the Device Manager if the MiniSD card is inserted and the NC booted from it. When it boots after the SD card is removed, the Nook shows up under devices with two B&N Ebook Disk USB Devices (the internal storage and the MiniSD card, I presume) and a USB Mass Storage Device.

EDIT: As a further note, I installed ADB and can get ADB Devices to return nothing in the command prompt, and have a .android folder in my User Profile ... but no adb_usb.ini.

Ok well. I was finally able to get it to work. I have to plug my nook into a different computer (also win7) and Nook showed up in device manager. Not sure why it wouldn't on my laptop.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMG_8539.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8540.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8541.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8542.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8543.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8544.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8545.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8546.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8547.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8548.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8550.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8551.JPG

<br>

ok guys. this is the underside of the board. i took a ton of pictures. i put my NC bac together. still working as it should :)

hope this little contribution helps. im quite excited for android 2.2 on my nook. this device "feels" very well built, and its really the size i want. now we just need a real andoid experience and ill be one happy nook color owner.

let me know if we need any more photos or close ups, i can borrow a macro lens if wee need photos of something really close up
    Nova: Google nookdevs they have a website that has a step by step guide for windows linux and mac that is a product of this monstrous thread and work done apart from xda. I know this thread is a beast.
    [15:47] <[mbm]> ooh .. a reboot later and I have angry birds
    [15:48] <[mbm]> no xml edit needed
    [15:48] <tenequalstwo> I'm jealous....
    [15:48] <[mbm]> and it runs
    oooooooooooooooooooh!
    IMG_8528.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8529.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8530.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8531.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8532.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8533.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8534.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8535.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8536.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8537.JPG

<br>
    IMG_8538.JPG

<br>
    builing an MLO file ?

pokey and i have reached a consensus and im sure occip agrees although i havent spoken with him about it yet. that weve reached an impass at the moment and will have to wait on b&n to release their source code. from what weve found at the moment to do what we plan without source would require us to stumble down a blind maze and hope to find our way through. hopefully with a little patience b&n will release for the nc the way they did for the original nooks where they give full source including bootloaders, and then itll be easy street for us to either create our own roms or port an existing rom i.e. cyanogenmod.

in the meantime, if everybody could continue just testing whatever they can think of, and continue posting any ideas or what you find here or on #nookdevs we can keep this going as quickly and smoothly as it has went so far!

remember every little bit helps even if you think it may be useless we can still try to use it!!

I don't agree completly with you. We can experiment few things and develop some POCs like ... The MLO must fit in the 64k sram of the omap3621. We can do a lot a things within 64k like initialise the musb and send the emmc content through it. I'm working to customize my MLO file (from igep 020 card which is a very good one !) after success I will able to compile the same file for NC. Now my NC is somewhere between Los Angeles and Europe :) I hope to receive it soon ...

Cheers

Occip