[INFO][WIP] Linux on the TF101 (coming soon (I assume))

Search This thread

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
I haven't read about anyone successfully booting the TF from external SD. I realize that does not mean it's impossible. Do you know if it's possible?

man if some one shows me how to flash a kernel or ramdisk , and how to make a correct boot.img i will build it .

Last edited:

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
1 where is fastboot
2 what is the correct way to make a boot.img parameters and so on.
3 nvflash? i never used it only when flashing the root prime , i dont know how nvflash works .
ya sure its shows me what options it have but what does it all mean whats is need to lets say flash a kernel only

bergfex

Sep 16, 2010
Hagenberg
I would highly recommand helping Jhinta.
He has important experience in porting ubuntu to a android device. Together we do a ubuntu port for the HTC Desire HD.

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
so i have the files build and all , i only need to know how to flash them .
got a zImage and ramdisk file.

if they work i dont know , cause i cant test it and dont know yet how to .:(

mr.stylo

Dec 16, 2010

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
Do you have a look at the following thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1129308&highlight=nvflash

This may give you an idea of how nvflash works.

i had a look but this confuse me

so you have the 6 for kernel but where is you ramdisk then ?
1 6 is a boot.img
2 6 is a boot.img with the header file, like creating a boot.img with the blob tools.??
3 thats only the kernel zImage

./nvflash --resume --read 6 $BACKUP_DIR/06_LNX_raw.img #kernel

i will just flash lets see what will happen.

so iḿ getting errors , i think the 6 is a boot image , i have tryed mkboot but also i think i need a special one

Last edited:

haensgn

Nov 19, 2007
Long Beach CA
For the xoom tut. here

Only problem is they aren't using the nvidia nvflash tools, so they have to recover android from back up. Would love to see a dual boot system.

Last edited:

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
Yes, but first we gotta make sure we can get the kernel and such working.

Jhinta, post your files, and I'll give them a whirl :)

sorry i'm ad work . when i'm home ill send a ramdisk and kernel.
totaly ontested ,

some info
ramdisk has scripts to mount and chainroot a rootfs
kernel is build with vt support. also reading from xoom , some patches need to be added , but lets get flashing started ( boot.img only )first as i dont want to wipe the whole system , there is no point to that.

Last edited:

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
This destroys android so Would it be possible to install linux to a different places in android then the main android system then boot it up with a terminal command in android? Not talking about vnc

as im reading the xoom guid , they can easly flash the boot.img i'm to recovery , as you can flash and even update bij nvflash , they already have multiboot i think they just dont know it yet :D

the have fastboot , the just have to do , fastboot flash recovery boot.img
and booting ubuntu is like booting to recovery.

the only problem is that you dont have cwm , but then again they can releas nvflash files to update. and maybe in time a multiboot (triple) wil be made

Reactions: arcglide

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Jhinta,
I suggest that you go the IRC channel #asus-transformer and ask about nvflash as the developers hang out in that channel. RaYmAn and Roach are the users that may have the answers you need. Both are located in Europe so you may have to account for the time difference from your location.

Jhinta

Dec 20, 2010
here are the files.

i didnt test this at all , as i dont know how to flash them . so if the work i dont know .
but when i do know how to flash this i can start building and corecting things.

1 get a way to flash ramdisk and kernel ( boot.img = kernel and ramdisk )
2 if flashing is oke get framebuffer device active for error handeling
3 fix mount points.
4 we are done. only thing left is options.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So as we all know soon we will have the files to access nvflash. This for one will hopefully allow us to install any OS we want.

Here is a guide to flashing ubuntu through nvflash onto a tegra 2 device:
    http://tegradeveloper.nvidia.com/tegra/forum/workaround-run-ubuntu-now

Now lets hope once the nvflash tools get released in the coming days we will be able to do this.
    got the kernel built, ill see if i have time for the rest of it tomorrow.
    My new production box is up and running, and when I left the house today I had git pulling nVidia's nv-tegra/linux-2.6 branch.

I work 60-80 hours a week though, so this is very much a 'in my spare time' type project for me.

I'm hoping to get the T2 kernel compiling sometime over the weekend, maybe have time to mess with it Monday-ish.
    Came across more info on the bootloader subsystem, too -

http://www.androidenea.com/2009/06/android-boot-process-from-power-on.html

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

http://elinux.org/Using_Bootchart_on_Android

Too bad I'm at work, or I could be having fun working on this, instead ;) I'll be experimenting Monday. I work Tuesday-Sunday, so doubt I'll have much time to play with this until after the weekend :(
    Good job! So, if I understand correctly you put it on the recovery partition(partially) and then boot via volume down + power ? Can you provide instructions on how to put this thing on our transformers and possibly a bin file(s).
    I am dying to boot ubuntu on my tablet. Thanks in advance. :)

with some editing to the flash.cfg you could put the ubuntu kernel into recovery, the kernel is slightly larger than what recovery allows, but a normal android kernel for the device fits without editing into recovery.

My current layout is RECOVERY (5) android kernel, LNX (6) ubuntu kernel, mmcblk1p1 rootfs.

here is the boot.img I use. this will boot to the first partition on your uSD, this can be edited using abootimg by changing the command lines root= arguement. This kernel is for a raw ext4 partition on your sd card.

Please do not mirror this, it is far from complete, and I am not going to supply full instructions at the moment, if you know what you are doing it is pretty straight forward, otherwise wait until the next version I release with a few usability fixes