[NST/NSTG][Theme] Status Bar Modification [Apr. 4]

Search This thread
N

NOOK!E

Welcome to the offical Status Bar Modification Theme for the NST! Encompassed in this theme are three mods:

• framework-res.apk, the file which contains all of the images most Android devices use in their user interface.
• ReaderRMSDK.apk - the stock B&N reader app.
• Shutdown Images - the images the Nook uses when it is either shut off or booting up.

Let's get right into it!

Features

ReaderRMSDK.apk

• All of the battery icons in the status bar are upright, not sideways (more Android-looking).
• The non-charging icons have black bars instead of just a long black strip to show the battery status (for easier reading of exactly how much battery life is left).
• The GlowLight symbol is modified to look like the "brightness" symbol - when the light is on, there are little rays around the circle, and when the light is off, the little rays are absent.

framework-res.apk

Changes are the same as ReaderRMSDK.apk except for:

• All battery icons are white-on-black, instead of black-on-white (because the stock Nook reader's status bar is white, opposed to the device's being black).
• I also modified the WiFi signal icons to appear like the cellular-data bar graph style icons {which is what Windows 7 uses for WiFi (which is where I got the idea)).

framework-res.alt.apk

Changes are the same as framework-res.apk, except that the Reading Now button has been changed to a NoRefresh button. It can be used properly by installing Nook Touch Mod Manager and assigning "Reading Now" to NoRefresh.

framework-res.alt.batterypercentage.apk

Changes are the same as framework-res.apk, except that the status bar battery indicator now uses @vikramam's JB Circle Status Bar Battery Icons so that you can see the exact battery percentage remaining on the status bar.

framework-res.alt.batterypercentage+graymenu.apk

Changes are the same as framework-res.alt.batterypercentage.apk, except that the settings backgrounds have been changed from white to a dark gray to fix the white-text-on-white-background issue that occurs in several places on the Nook. This mod came from @nmyshkin and @mergen3107 in this thread - thanks, guys!

New Features:

• Edited Back, Menu and Notifications buttons
• Edited Settings and Search QuickNav buttons
• Edited Settings and Search headers

Shutdown Images

• Changed the "Read Forever" text in booting.pgm to "Rooted Forever".
• Changed the "by Barnes and Noble" text in all of the shutdown images and rendor-0.png to "powered by Android".
• Changed all of the text in all of the shutdown images to be in the Continuum font (the XDA logo font)
• Changed the boot animation dots to a sliding black bar.

Hardware Requirements

These files were edited on a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight using firmware 1.2.1. Please don't try this on on other firmwares. You can use this on a plain NST without GlowLight.

Installation Instructions

• framework-res.apk - replace existing in /system/framework.
• ReaderRMSDK.apk - replace existing in /system/app.
• UPDATEDimages.zip -
  • booting.pgm belongs in /boot, which is not mounted by default on the Nook but is mountable through the command line.
  • The images in the shutdown_images directory in the downloadable .zip belong in /system/assets/shutdown_images.
  • The images in the boot_images directory in the downloadable .zip belong in /system/assets/boot_images.

Changelog

ReaderRMSDK.apk

• Version 1.1 - Stable, original version
• Version 1.2 - Stable, added modified GlowLight symbol

framework-res.apk

• Version 1.1 - Testing, original version
• Version 1.2 - Alpha, added modified GlowLight symbol
• Version 1.3 - Beta, added modified Back button and remapped & modified Menu button (for orientation changing) (Deprecated)
• Version 1.4 - Stable, added modified but non-remapped Menu button
• Version 1.5 - Stable, added modified Notifications button; added modified Settings header and QuickNav icons
• Version 1.6 (current) - Stable, added modified Search header and QuickNav icons
• Version 1.6b - Stable, changed Reading Now to NoRefresh
• Version 1.7 (current) - Stable, added vikramam's and Ticklefish's JB Circle Status Bar Battery Icons mod and enabled each individual battery percentage changing on the status bar.
• Version 1.8 (current) - Stable, added nmyshkin's and mergen3107's white-text-on-white-background settings fix.

Shutdown Images
• Version 1 - Stable, original version
• Version 2 - Stable, overhauled all images to include the XDA logo font, Continuum; removed "Gabe" text

FAQ

Q: Where are the downloads?
A: The downloads are available in the post labelled "Downloads" below the OP.[/b]

XDA:DevDB Information
SBM Theme, Theme for the Barnes & Noble Nook Touch

Contributors
thenookieforlife3

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 1.7
Stable Release Date: 2015-04-04

Created 2014-11-08
Last Updated 2015-05-10

Attachments

• CAP201411082158.jpg
    CAP201411082158.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 3,068
  • vte308U.jpg
    vte308U.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3,030
  • 4-4-15_18.7.53.png
    4-4-15_18.7.53.png
    37 KB · Views: 2,013
Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

Downloads

Downloads

• framework-res.apk is the modified framework.
  • framework-res.alt.apk is the alternate modified framework with the Reading Now status bar icon changed to the NoRefresh icon. Remember to rename it to framework-res.apk before using it.
  • framework-res.alt.batterypercentage.apk is the modified framework which has been changed to show the precise battery percentage with @vikramam's mod on the status bar. Remember to rename it to framework-res.apk before using it.
  • framework-res.alt.batterypercentage+graymenu.apk is the modified framework which has been changed to show the precise battery percentage with @vikramam's mod on the status bar and has been changed to fix the white-text-on-white-background issue by making the settings backgrounds gray instead of white. Remember to rename it to framework-res.apk before using it.
  • UPDATEDimages.zip contains all of the modified boot and shutdown images.
  • ReaderRMSDK.apk is the modifed stock reader app.

Attachments

• framework-res.apk
    3 MB · Views: 199
  • UPDATEDimages.zip
    76.1 KB · Views: 212
  • ReaderRMSDK.apk
    981.4 KB · Views: 181
  • framework-res.alt.apk
    3 MB · Views: 130
  • framework-res.alt.batterypercentage.apk
    3.5 MB · Views: 121
  • framework-res.alt.batterypercentage+graymenu.apk
    3.5 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
N

NOOK!E

ADB Tip

By the way, for framework-res.apk, you CAN push it to your device with ADB if you want to, but you CAN'T push it to /system/framework. It will bootloop your system.

Try doing:

Code:
adb push framework-res.apk /sdcard

Then, on your Nook, copy the framework-res.apk from /sdcard and paste it in /system/framework. It won't bootloop, it will just instantly reboot itself with the new framework-res.apk being used.

For ReaderRMSDK.apk, just do:

Code:
adb push ReaderRMSDK.apk /system/app
adb reboot

Last edited:

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
NOOkie, as i am already on your 1337 ROM, i am assuming i don't have to replace the framework apk's from the OP.
Will installing only the batterypercentage apk replace my battery icon ?

N

NOOK!E

NOOkie, as i am already on your 1337 ROM, i am assuming i don't have to replace the framework apk's from the OP.
Will installing only the batterypercentage apk replace my battery icon ?

If you are already running my ROM, to get the battery percentage version of this theme working, all you have to do is download the .apk, rename it to framework-res.apk, and copy/paste it from your sdcard to /system/framework (don't adb push it there). Your system will auto-reboot and use the new framework.

Top Liked Posts