Ubuntu Touch port being worked on for quincyatt

Search This thread

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Ok, I'm getting to the same point as your dmesg log shows, it doesn't boot up just hangs after it mounts the filesystem. I tried a USB keyboard with OTG and it worked fine so if you can get it back to where it shows a login prompt you might be able to plug in a keyboard and login with that.

http://imgur.com/XUtb5aH

http://imgur.com/a/u0EM4

I don't have a usb keyboard so can't try that, here is my build if you want to try.
ubuntutouch_cm-10.1-20131026-UNOFFICIAL-quincyatt.zip - 31.90 MB

I recorded the screen so I could see what was on the screen before it launched the terminal login screen from my first attachment.

Not sure if it gives us any information to fix something or not.

Troy

Attachments

• saucy.jpg
    saucy.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: delacrow

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
I don't have a usb keyboard so can't try that, here is my build if you want to try.
ubuntutouch_cm-10.1-20131026-UNOFFICIAL-quincyatt.zip - 31.90 MB

I recorded the screen so I could see what was on the screen before it launched the terminal login screen from my first attachment.

Not sure if it gives us any information to fix something or not.

Troy

I tried your build but it never gets to the prompt. Not sure why not, I didn't have anything plugged into USB at the time. I'm going to try just building the kernel by itself and booting a standard Ubuntu or Debian ARM rootfs off the external SD card using this kernel+initramfs as a base.

Reactions: delacrow

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
I tried your build but it never gets to the prompt. Not sure why not, I didn't have anything plugged into USB at the time. I'm going to try just building the kernel by itself and booting a standard Ubuntu or Debian ARM rootfs off the external SD card using this kernel+initramfs as a base.

did you flash http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-touch-preview/daily-preinstalled/current/saucy-preinstalled-phablet-armhf.zip before flashing my zip?

I am using the install instruction from the n7000 port - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2160773

Thanks,
Troy

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City

Ok, with that I was able to get the login prompt and log in successfully. There's no networking devices under ifconfig, no Bluetooth under hciconfig, and the GUI didn't start so I'm not sure what there is to do. User/pass is phablet/phablet. It seems to be working otherwise, first thing should probably be to get wireless working so we can sudo apt-get stuff and update. All the rmnet_sdio stuff (cell radio?) is listed but no wlan0/eth0. Wonder how that is initialized? Also the display updates really slowly sometimes.

EDIT: dmesg output, but it crashes after a certain amount of time so I had to be quick, mount my flash drive, and save before it reset.

http://pastebin.com/D68kp3dL

Last edited:
Reactions: cpgeek

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Made a quick video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSRLC8LVuQ

I'm wondering about the random reboot issue, seems really out of place. It might be the MSM watchdog timer as I noticed that was being initialized in the dmesg. I'll time it and see how long it takes before crash happens. On the video it looks like the phone was active for a total of 1:25, or 85 seconds. If the watchdog initialized at 5 seconds into boot I'm guessing there is a timeout set at 80 seconds. I'll do more tests to confirm this, and if it is the watchdog I'll try compiling it out of the kernel or something.

EDIT: Timed again, this time no keyboard plugged in and no interaction, rebooted at exactly 1:25 in. It's definitely some sort of timer issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: delacrow and cpgeek

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk

I'm wondering about the random reboot issue, seems really out of place. It might be the MSM watchdog timer as I noticed that was being initialized in the dmesg. I'll time it and see how long it takes before crash happens. On the video it looks like the phone was active for a total of 1:25, or 85 seconds. If the watchdog initialized at 5 seconds into boot I'm guessing there is a timeout set at 80 seconds. I'll do more tests to confirm this, and if it is the watchdog I'll try compiling it out of the kernel or something.

EDIT: Timed again, this time no keyboard plugged in and no interaction, rebooted at exactly 1:25 in. It's definitely some sort of timer issue.

cool video, I'll get you something soon that will at least look more interesting on youtube :)

I got the UI to boot up, still doesn't have any network and I can't access it via adb to pull logs.

Here are some screenshots from my webcam.

Troy

Attachments

• 2013-10-30-011724.jpg
    2013-10-30-011724.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 2013-10-30-011700.jpg
    2013-10-30-011700.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Last edited:

cpgeek

Nov 27, 2007
Storrs, CT
WOW I never expected my little query to prompt a bunch of awesome devs jumping up to play with the project. Thank you so much for your time and efforts! I thought it was a lost cause when i saw that quincyatt was removed from the project pages!

Whether or not you guys succeed at building a viable rom, thank you very much for your efforts!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Not working for me, looks like the partition never mounts right. I don't get a login prompt at all. I wiped everything and flashed in that order too, but using TWRP 2.6.0.0. I don't know why that would make a difference. How did you pull kernel logs through recovery?

EDIT: I found kern.log in the /data/ubuntu/var/log folder which contains dmesg from two bootups. It seems to have been able to mount /data to write these but the system just seems to hang.

http://pastebin.com/psdS3B3W

EDIT: 2.6.1.0 does the same thing, it looks like it fails mounting mmcblk0p25 because of "unsupported optional features"

Last edited:

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Not working for me, looks like the partition never mounts right. I don't get a login prompt at all. I wiped everything and flashed in that order too, but using TWRP 2.6.0.0. I don't know why that would make a difference. How did you pull kernel logs through recovery?

EDIT: I found kern.log in the /data/ubuntu/var/log folder which contains dmesg from two bootups. It seems to have been able to mount /data to write these but the system just seems to hang.

http://pastebin.com/psdS3B3W

EDIT: 2.6.1.0 does the same thing, it looks like it fails mounting mmcblk0p25 because of "unsupported optional features"

Sorry it was really late when I wrote up the post, I put the install order backwards, I updated the original post. but install the ubunutu-cm-10 zip first and then the ubuntu-touch trusty image.

Thanks,
Troy

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Sorry it was really late when I wrote up the post, I put the install order backwards, I updated the original post. but install the ubunutu-cm-10 zip first and then the ubuntu-touch trusty image.

Thanks,
Troy

Thanks, will try it. I did manage to log in via adb to the kernel and it looks like the FS did mount, with /dev/mmcblk0p25 (data) mounting twice, here's my output from mount:

Code:
# mount
mount
/dev/mmcblk0p25 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/mmcblk0p24 on /system type ext4 (ro,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p25 on /data type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro)
/system/vendor on /vendor type none (ro,bind)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu on /dev/cpuctl type none (rw,bind)

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Thanks, will try it. I did manage to log in via adb to the kernel and it looks like the FS did mount, with /dev/mmcblk0p25 (data) mounting twice, here's my output from mount:

Code:
# mount
mount
/dev/mmcblk0p25 on / type ext4 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)
none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)
/dev/mmcblk0p24 on /system type ext4 (ro,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/mmcblk0p25 on /data type ext4 (rw,noatime,nodiratime,errors=remount-ro)
/system/vendor on /vendor type none (ro,bind)
systemd on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,none,name=systemd)
/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu on /dev/cpuctl type none (rw,bind)

need to comment that out of the the installed /etc/fstab, i guess. I now remember seeing some port where they did that :)

Troy

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
Ok, somehow it started working. It booted, blank screened for a long time, and then the GUI started up. Surprisingly fluid and no graphical glitches! The camera worked! Sadly it appears sound and networking do not work, but it's a good start!

EDIT: Pics! http://imgur.com/a/qHF83 (edit: Note 3 camera has impressive resolution, you can see the pixels!)

Last edited:
Reactions: cpgeek and GPFerror

ZacksBuilds

Dec 9, 2012
Hm interesting this is coming along nicely! Once a somewhat stable nightly gets up I'll flash that on a.... FLASH. AWWW YEAAHHH

Sent from my SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: zefir738

GPFerror

Nov 5, 2007
Phoenix
gpf.dcemu.co.uk
Reactions: rsalib

CalcProgrammer1

Oct 8, 2007
Kansas City
I added loading of the wifi module to the init.target.rc

Here is the updated binary

Ubuntu_Touch_cm-10.1-20131031-UNOFFICIAL-quincyatt.zip - 31.90 MB

I still haven't figure out how to get adb working, which would make debugging a lot easier :)

Troy

It's really weird, it looks like either if you install them in the wrong order ADB sometimes works when it hangs. Actually, it might be starting and then dying off before the UI boots as I was able to log in briefly after the kernel started but before the screen goes blank to load the UI. Really strange. I think for adb to work you have to set the USB kernel device into adb mode as well as open the adbd daemon.

edit: adbd is in /usr/bin on the Ubuntu root (/data/ubuntu). I'm looking to see if it's started by a script anywhere.
Can you install openssh now that wireless is working? If so there's another way you can get a shell on the device with.

edit: Found adbd:

Code:
/data/ubuntu/etc/init # ←[6ncat android-tools-adbd.conf
cat android-tools-adbd.conf
# adbd - run adb debugging shell
#
# This task enables the adb shell

description     "start adbd"

start on filesystem or runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn

pre-start script
        [ ! -d /sys/class/android_usb ] && { stop; exit 0; }
        # retrieve the product info from Android
        manufacturer=$(getprop ro.product.manufacturer Android)
        model=$(getprop ro.product.model Android)
        serial=$(getprop ro.serialno 0123456789ABCDEF)

echo 0 >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable
        echo 18d1 >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/idVendor
        echo D002 >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/idProduct
        echo adb >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/functions

echo -n $manufacturer >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/iManufacturer
        echo -n $model >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/iProduct
        echo -n $serial >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/iSerial

echo 1 >/sys/class/android_usb/android0/enable
end script

exec /usr/bin/adbd

EDIT:

So I reinstalled everything after a complete wipe and it booted up once, logged into WiFi, played around on the Internet a bit, tried to download some apps and it locked up. Now it won't boot at all. Also terminal and file manager are still hopelessly stuck at a white screen and no ADB. I tried pinging it to no avail as well, was going to test ssh but I'm on a windows laptop at the moment.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    More stuff to play with! This time on the desktop Ubuntu front, but hopefully we can make use of it for everything. I've been following and participating in desktop Ubuntu stuff for the HP TouchPad (APQ8060 CPU, Kernel 2.6.35/3.0) and since it's so similar CPU-wise to the i717 I figured I would be able to base i717 port off of that work. First thing to get working is a bootloader, preferably one that can boot Android as well as Ubuntu and I think I've found it.

I'm continuing upon the work done by castrwilliam (who built on many others work as well) in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2225462

There, he used a custom kernel with kexecboot built into the initramfs to load Ubuntu's kernel off its partition's /boot directory. On the TouchPad we already have a custom bootloader to triple-boot WebOS, Android, and Ubuntu with but by using kexec we are now no longer confined to the limited size of the boot partition where kernels had to reside previously. Well, on the i717 front we don't have the luxury of a bootloader at all, and can only flash one kernel at a time. I pulled the TouchPad kexec boot image apart and extracted its ramdisk, containing the kexecboot stuff, and dumped it into my i717 kernel build system just to see if it was feasible. Sure enough,

http://i.imgur.com/xI192Tq.jpg

Flashed that kernel, rebooted from TWRP, and there's kexecboot's main menu. Controls work fine (up/down are vol+/- and select is power) which was nice. The debug log:

http://i.imgur.com/RBVT7Qb.jpg

shows that it is indeed scanning all the filesystems correctly. Awesome!

My idea now is to finish updating the TouchPad Ubuntu 13.04 rootfs to 13.10, configure it to a clean slate, and split off the TP-specific stuff which should yield a clean, Qualcomm/Adreno-ready rootfs that can be booted with kexecboot. Dump it on a microSD card and should be able to boot it on the i717 with some device-specific scripts and such.

Image is upgrading right now on my TouchPad: http://i.imgur.com/PzvjB9A.jpg
    It looks like our phone just won't die! Which is AWESOME!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Devices

Head to the above link and scroll down to where it shows the work in progress devices and we're listed. Pretty cool.
    Attempted Ubuntu Touch port

I saw this thread a couple days ago and decided to try and port it. It boots up to the Ubuntu Phablet Login: prompt and then just sits there. I can't access it over adb to figure out why it is failing to load the GUI. It does display text on the screen when I tap the screen or unplug the usb cable so it isn't frozen.

I added a kernel cmdline parameter to stop it at the bottom of the initrd sequence and was able to pull the attached kmesg over adb.

Maybe someone can look at it and see why it is failing.

Thanks,
    Troy

cool video, I'll get you something soon that will at least look more interesting on youtube :)

I got the UI to boot up, still doesn't have any network and I can't access it via adb to pull logs.

Here are some screenshots from my webcam.

Troy
    You may find this thread interesting. It is not directly related but will enable native Linux support if the dev can get it working on our device.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1787856

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Got this working this week! See that thread for more information. I haven't posted a complete flashable zip yet but I will after I complete a build environment git repository so you can build your own as well. I have posted my kexec kernel source (based on CM's kernel) and my modified kexecboot sources.

Next plan of action is Fedora, because the Freedreno developer (Rob Clark) has posted some good info on getting Freedreno+Fedora working. Fedora's unstable "rawhide" branch also has prebuilt Freedreno drivers unlike Ubuntu or Debian at the moment.

Edit: Fedora is annoying, systemd sucks. I couldn't even log in because I couldn't set a password even though it seemed to let me set one in chroot. Switched to Debian and I can log in just fine, got WiFi working, dist-upgraded, now to get graphics and audio to work.