[Q] Flash Device with Broken Screen and Debug Mode Not On

Search This thread

sac0

Jan 28, 2014
Boston
www.adercon.com
I have a completely broken screen/lcd/digitizer on my Samsung Galaxy S3, debug mode was not on. The phone works as it will still vibrate when turned on and the LED / Menu / Back buttons light up during a boot. USB connector works as well. The phone was not previously rooted.

I had most important data on the sd card and I've already wrote off any other data on the phone as I've since moved on to a GN2. I would like to make use of the S3 (not necessarily as a phone but a server, security camera, etc.). I've read several posts here about my options and looked at numerous google articles, all seem to require debug mode being on or assume/require the data/OS must remain as this is what the user is trying to recover. I do not care if all data is lost on the phone, I just want to make the device useful again.

Am I out of luck if debug mode was not enabled or can I flash through adb via some obscure mechanism? Also note that fastboot is not an option here as the S3 (samsung) does not have it enabled. I am unable to get into "Download Mode" as I cannot see info on the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

I have a completely broken screen/lcd/digitizer on my Samsung Galaxy S3, debug mode was not on. The phone works as it will still vibrate when turned on and the LED / Menu / Back buttons light up during a boot. USB connector works as well. The phone was not previously rooted.

I had most important data on the sd card and I've already wrote off any other data on the phone as I've since moved on to a GN2. I would like to make use of the S3 (not necessarily as a phone but a server, security camera, etc.). I've read several posts here about my options and looked at numerous google articles, all seem to require debug mode being on or assume/require the data/OS must remain as this is what the user is trying to recover. I do not care if all data is lost on the phone, I just want to make the device useful again.

Am I out of luck if debug mode was not enabled or can I flash through adb via some obscure mechanism? Also note that fastboot is not an option here as the S3 (samsung) does not have it enabled. I am unable to get into "Download Mode" as I cannot see info on the screen.

You can go blindly to download mode when display is not working. I personally did it with my father's Samsung when he destroyed his phone's screen and we had to take it for warranty and he had root and CyanogenMod.

You need to hold Volume down, Home and power for approximately 3 seconds and then release them. Wait 3-4 seconds for good.
Then press volume up to accept screen prompt (of course you will not see it, but it comes). Then plug in USB and start Odin. Odin will show COM:x added (x can be any number depending on USB port used.) Then start flashing.

ODIN DOES NOT REQUIRE USB DEBUGGING ON

By odin flashing all data will be wiped from /system, /data, /cache partitions.
I don't know about internal storage (I mean internal memory card).
External card will not be formatted or not harmed.

Last edited:

sac0

Jan 28, 2014
Boston
www.adercon.com
@hnkotnis Geniusness! I had actually tried this before but it was your words of experience that made me try again. I am adding more info for those who may find this later.

First, I am on linux (debian) so no Odin, I used Heimdall and Heimdall Frontend:
* disconnect USB
* pull battery
* let set for a minute
* Press HOME+Power+VolDown for 2 seconds beyond the vibrate (total of about 5 seconds)
* wait 3-4 seconds
* press the VolUp button
* plug usb in
* press "Detect" in Heimdall Frontend

You should get a "Device detected" in heimdall frontend. I also noticed a difference when connecting the usb cable with in "Download Mode" versus not in Download Mode.

Normal USB Connection
Code:
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.140189] usb 5-8.3: new high-speed USB device number 31 using ehci-pci
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.233321] usb 5-8.3: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=6865
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.233332] usb 5-8.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.233338] usb 5-8.3: Product: SAMSUNG_Android_SGH-T999
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.233343] usb 5-8.3: Manufacturer: SAMSUNG
Jan 28 10:29:13 xia kernel: [1119572.233349] usb 5-8.3: SerialNumber: e70a909e

USB Connection when in "Download Mode"
Code:
Jan 28 10:30:18 xia kernel: [1119637.932207] usb 5-8.3: new high-speed USB device number 32 using ehci-pci
Jan 28 10:30:18 xia kernel: [1119638.024825] usb 5-8.3: New USB device found, idVendor=04e8, idProduct=685d
Jan 28 10:30:18 xia kernel: [1119638.024834] usb 5-8.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
Jan 28 10:30:18 xia kernel: [1119638.024840] usb 5-8.3: Product: MSM8960
Jan 28 10:30:18 xia kernel: [1119638.024845] usb 5-8.3: Manufacturer: Sasmsung
Jan 28 10:30:19 xia kernel: [1119638.113455] cdc_acm 5-8.3:1.0: This device cannot do calls on its own. It is not a modem.
Jan 28 10:30:19 xia kernel: [1119638.113598] cdc_acm 5-8.3:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
Jan 28 10:30:19 xia kernel: [1119638.114388] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
Jan 28 10:30:19 xia kernel: [1119638.114391] cdc_acm: USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters

Thanks again for the tip, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

rickster81

May 4, 2014
will this work on a stock verizon note 3 or does it need tobe rooted with custom ROM

You can go blindly to download mode when display is not working. I personally did it with my father's Samsung when he destroyed his phone's screen and we had to take it for warranty and he had root and CyanogenMod.

You need to hold Volume down, Home and power for approximately 3 seconds and then release them. Wait 3-4 seconds for good.
Then press volume up to accept screen prompt (of course you will not see it, but it comes). Then plug in USB and start Odin. Odin will show COM:x added (x can be any number depending on USB port used.) Then start flashing.

will this work on a stock verizon note 3 or does it need tobe rooted with custom ROM

This will work on any Samsung device. Just get proper firmware of your phone and select it in Odin or Heimdall.

This will work on non-rooted, rooted, stock ROM, custom ROM anything.

Press Thanks if helped.

Sent from my GT-I9001 Gadget of Mass Destruction with CM11 using XDA Developers App.

miborion

May 14, 2012
Hello,
How can I get the data (broken screen), after successfully flash (using Odin307) to "CWM Recovery v6.0.3.6.tar", but not having the device listed in adb, "adb device" command?

Regards,

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.