[APP][UPDATE 8/31/13] KeepScreen v4.0 keep your device awake per active app

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
***DELETE***

This app is now outdated. I am going to re-write it completely from scratch. I will obviously include the standard features, but is there anything else you users would like me to add?

Attachments

• KeepScreen-BETAv1.apk
    167.9 KB · Views: 776
Last edited:

adl

Dec 18, 2010
Cool, thanx for updating this little gem!
I used it but it wasn´t working more for me with ICS 4.0.3, so i switched to another app, but always liked the option to have the screen go a bit darker and not stay with full brightness.

Havent looked at your improved app but could you make the constant notification tick/untickable? I never experienced that the app stopped working, so i wouldn´t need this and i hate to have any icons in the notification bar :eek:
The autostart option is VERY nice to have! :good:

EDIT:
Just installed and saw there is already an option for the notification icon, great!
Working very nice so far, will monitor it and give you some feedback during the next days.

Thanx again, really nice to see this app is liked by other people as well. :D

Last edited:

soundacer

Sep 30, 2012
Glasgow
Good stuff

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G...Go Canes []_[]

This sounds like a great app that could be well used on certain apps that you want the screen to stay on, well done to both developers, now I am wondering as a noob and still on a learning curve, will this app work on a Galaxy GT-S5830i rooted device and what would be the best way to install.
It would be great to get some advice on this. :good:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
This sounds like a great app that could be well used on certain apps that you want the screen to stay on, well done to both developers, now I am wondering as a noob and still on a learning curve, will this app work on a Galaxy GT-S5830i rooted device and what would be the best way to install.
It would be great to get some advice on this. :good:

Yes this should work on any device rooted or not! :)

To install just download and use a file browser to tap on the downloaded file.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: imilic

tboooe

Oct 9, 2011
the OC
Thank you. Looking forward to trying this out on my rooted razr.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

sljenkins87

Apr 14, 2010
Boothwyn, PA
First and foremost i want to give ALL CREDIT to the original developer of this amazing app. KeepScreen is developed by AxDroid LLC and hosted for free on the play store.

It has been forever since they last updated it and they were not responding to my emails. Their website also returns with an error so i am not sure if the company is no longer in business or if they just abandoned the app. (Its ashame honestly i love this app)

But there were a few quirks with the app. For instance, the app had to be manually started every single time you rebooted your phone.

Secondly i read people experienced the app would just stop working.. (I havent experienced this at all yet) But im guessing its due to android cleaning things up to free RAM.

Well i took it on myself and i was able to fix the first issue. After first launching the app and selecting the applications you wish to always have the screen stay on, and then launching the service, after a reboot the app will start again and you dont have to manually start the service.

The second issue i am currently trying to solve by placing a constant notification in the status bar. That is the only way to keep android from cleaning and killing processes.

The app is truly amazing, i have the Galaxy S3 and it has that "Smart stay" thinger where if you are looking at the screen the phone will stay on, well when im watching TV and i look up from my phone for a single second, they screen shuts off. I hate that, so i actually just use KeepScreen, set what apps i wish to always stay on, and then they stay on so long as that app is open and displayed on the screen.

Just download and install using a file browser.

Yesss this is what I have been looking for so long and I am supper excited to get this on my note that I am getting back tomorrow

manu_18

Jul 21, 2011
Just two points for me:
Adding a widget to enable and disable the service and it would be fantastic.
Stopping the service when the screen is turned off (or alternative) because I saw my screen turn back alone (synchronization of a monitored application?)
Thank you for your work.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Just two points for me:
Adding a widget to enable and disable the service and it would be fantastic.
Stopping the service when the screen is turned off (or alternative) because I saw my screen turn back alone (synchronization of a monitored application?)
Thank you for your work.

It has a listener receiver for screen off. Sometimes if you have an app open that you set to stay on all the time, and you manually shut it off, it turns back on. That's just because the service didn't shut down fast enough.

And I don't have source code. I doubt I could add a widget.

However I could write my own app that force close the service. (Almost like a task killer) but it won't be able to start the service.

Reactions: imilic and manu_18

FractalSphere

Oct 21, 2009
Chicago
www.doublecluepon.com
I really loved this app when it first came out, but it fell by the wayside for various reasons.

Thanks for picking up the slack here! You'd think this is something they could actually build into android at some point. Apps that when on-screen don't let the phone blank the screen. o_O

Tried it and it works great! =)

manu_18

Jul 21, 2011
It has a listener receiver for screen off. Sometimes if you have an app open that you set to stay on all the time, and you manually shut it off, it turns back on. That's just because the service didn't shut down fast enough.

And I don't have source code. I doubt I could add a widget.

However I could write my own app that force close the service. (Almost like a task killer) but it won't be able to start the service.

Ok Thanks for the reply.

ahkow

Apr 3, 2010
I like this apps, it keeps my google map always on. However I need to manually start the apps on each power up. Any way to have an option to auto start? Second nice to have feature is to sort these apps selected at the top.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***DELETE***

This app is now outdated. I am going to re-write it completely from scratch. I will obviously include the standard features, but is there anything else you users would like me to add?
    UPDATE: 8/31/13
    KeepScreen v4.0

- Optimized keep awake method. No longer using wake lock (should be more reliable)
    - Re-enabled notification icon for when the lock is active
    - Removed luminosity as it does nothing :)
    - Thanks guys prolly will be the last update :)

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE :) THANKS!

Have fun guys :) any issues let me know!
    COMPLETELY REWROTE SERVICE!!!

Completely rewrote the service! It is no longer using the old outdated method. This means that apps should NEVER timeout when you have it open. It is practically FLAWLESS! :)

I still need to clean up some things and enable the ability to stop it as well as enabling the notification option.
    OP Is updated!

UPDATE: 5/6/13

VERSION 3.0.0

- New auto restart. If the app dies, it will auto restart itself. If you are in an app which you have set to "Lock" the screen on, and the app dies, it MAY still shut off. I am working on a way to detect if the app died while locked and then restart holding a lock as well.

- New notification method. If you are running JB 4.1 or higher, you will NOT have an icon on the status bar all the time. However, if you are on ICS or lower, you will. This is probably the best version to ensure the app never dies.

However, if using the auto restart app. It shouldnt die so long as its holding a lock. Though, there is always the possibility of it dying.

If i had source code i could make this flawless. So i am trying my best! Thanks guys!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE :) THANKS!
    OP UPDATED!!!

Included a version which has on going notification. HUGE thanks to theos0o for finding my derp mistakes and teaching me something new :)

Here are screenshots of the notification.
    7u6a3uby.jpg

ymumudu3.jpg