[KERNEL][GPL] franco.Kernel - r17

Search This thread

wera750

Jul 10, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
From what I have read the cpu doesn't have a temp sensor and uses an algorithm instead to report temps , and it sucks. Raising the thermal threshold to over 100 °C seems to work well..... But I'm sure you will catch all that in due time.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

404 ERROR

Jan 8, 2012
From what I have read the cpu doesn't have a temp sensor and uses an algorithm instead to report temps , and it sucks. Raising the thermal threshold to over 100 °C seems to work well..... But I'm sure you will catch all that in due time.

At least one person has reported that his device started to glitch up and then reboot from raising it to 100 degrees. I'm sure there is a limit.

Reactions: gakirby

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
At least one person has reported that his device started to glitch up and then reboot from raising it to 100 degrees. I'm sure there is a limit.
I raised my limit to 90C, and NFS:MW's graphics glitched out eventually. I rebooted on my own.

Speaking of temperature, my device seemed notably hot (maybe hotter then average) when I played some NFS:MW with this kernel. It could just be me mis-interpreting it though.

freshlysqueezed

Aug 4, 2010
Essential Phone
OnePlus 9
” Samsung hits 4W by throttling its CPU cores when both the CPU and GPU subsystems are being taxed.”
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6536/arm-vs-x86-the-real-showdown/13

My theory is that the exynos 5250 CPU does have a temperature sensor, but the nexus 10 is throttling not in direct response to temperature but instead to limit TDP to 4 watts for energy efficiency.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

ceribaen

Mar 15, 2012
Another issue is the colour calibration is way off. Would be nice if we could tweak colours ourselves as we can on the GNex now.

scream4cheese

Jun 22, 2011
New York, NY
Won't boot on aokp. I know the op said cm, but I tried anyways. So for the others that will ask, aokp is a no go for now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

The kernel works on all custom roms as far as i know after using Franco's rom for a while. Franco just wanted to emphasize that it works on CM based roms as well.

franciscofranco

Recognized Developer
Dec 9, 2010
Carcavelos
The thermal driver is pretty straight forward and simple. What exactly do we need? I haven't been able to reproduce any throttling so far on my device. Is it throttling too soon? When it throttles it decreases the CPU frequencies too much and causes lag? Does it take time to detect the actual temperature?

The more info the better, as soon as I understand whats up I'll fix it.

Endless7

May 12, 2011
The thermal driver is pretty straight forward and simple. What exactly do we need? I haven't been able to reproduce any throttling so far on my device. Is it throttling too soon? When it throttles it decreases the CPU frequencies too much and causes lag? Does it take time to detect the actual temperature?

Maybe you can try to play NFS on it. I got laggy after 10-15min gaming. I use cpuspy to check the CPU stat and find most time are spent on 1.2-1.5G, not 1.7G. Similar cases like software decoding 720p Hi10 video.

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Here are some post about this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069289(It seems the author has been baned. But he is the first one to find out this problem and give the solution)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2081940

And other info I collected is Nexus 10 doesn't have real temp sensor. Someone had made a test:put nexus 10 in fridge and record the cpu's temp. And he found the temp just keep the same. So I guess nexus 10 calculate its temp by TDP. If we keep cpu run in high load for long enough,the throttling will come even though the cpu is not hot at all.

notegalaxy

Dec 20, 2011
Everyone's devices seem different regarding the throttling problem. Mine is especially bad and with need for speed on stock I throttle after less than 1 minute. I need to under volt and increase throttle temps to 90 degrees to even be able to play the game. Even then it throttles a bit.

It also seems the throttle code is buggy in which it will decrease the CPU speed, then decrease again and again until so low it lags, until it gets below its stop throttle temp. Then go straight up to max again. And be like a big circle. I think it needs to decrease to lower speed for x amount of time, then decrease further if a stable temp is not reached... If that makes sense

404 ERROR

Jan 8, 2012

It doesn't throttle under normal usage. You need to play a heavy game like NFS:MW. I get these lags on Shadowgun: Deadzone as well.

EDNYLaw

Nov 26, 2010
New York
It's also been thrown around in this thread that Samsung employs a thermal throttling equation and the chip is not actually measuring the temperature but using an equation to guesstimate the temperature. One user took the back cover off the N10 and actually measured the temperature of the chip and it did not match the temperature reported by the N10.

I'm not sure what all has come of this as I've never experienced the throttling, but I heavily undervolt, do not overclock and don't really play that many 3D games, certainly not NFS. However, I have played constant Netflix or streaming 1080p video from my NAS and I've never hit a throttle point, nor does my N10 lag or drop frames. Good luck Franco, I know we're all thrilled that you're making N10 kernels!

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010

The throttle logic isnt that great as others have said. Right now it *can* decrease all the way down to something like 400MHz, which is really low. The majority of devices can run at 1.2GHz and be at a low enough speed not to raise the temperature past the thermal threshold, while some devices need to be around the 1GHz range. It is hard to see because these tablets are so different from each other. The thermal and electrical properties of these processors have a huge range of values and everyone's stock voltages are different. Which is one of the reasons some people hit throttling after 1 minute of playing a game, while others it takes 15-20 minutes.

What would be better for the thermal control logic would be that when it first starts throttling the speed should drop by 1 step every 2 sample periods until it reaches 1GHz. This will provide a gradual enough decrease that frames wont be as choppy from such sudden and drastic uneven rendering times. Once the temperature has dropped by 2 degrees then the speed cap could be raised from 1GHz to 1.2GHz. If the temperature then goes down enough at this speed to reach the stop throttle point then the frequency cap can be released and speed allowed to climb.

Doing the logic this way would probably keep the majority of users who hit severe thermal throttling in a constant state of locked down frequency. This is actually better than constantly dropping a lot and then releasing back to max speed because it provides a smoother ramp down and then keeps the device held in an area where you have enough performance to still play fairly smoothly yet not enough speed to have the temperature keep rising.

I have opened my tablet up completely and measured the temperature of different areas. I found the exact same results as the first person to open their tablet for the same purpose. When the tablet hits 80 degrees and starts throttling, readings from the CPU are between 45-47 degrees. Another person who had a thermal imaging device took pictures of his tablet and his pictures showed the heat sources to be right in that same spot of 45 degrees. So the outside of the processor at least is much cooler than the temp sensor suggests. However, there could be a sensor embedded directly into the processor itself right in there next to the hottest part of the cores and the inside area of the actual core temperatures could be much higher than our readings. Usually real core temperatures are 20-30% higher than external sensor readings. So we do have to be careful about raising the throttle point too much. However, even at 30% higher temp from the readings done by users, that would still not bring us to the supposed 80 degrees being reported. It would in fact be closer to 65 degrees. Everyone has been able to play things fine by bumping their throttle limit just a few degrees (4-5 degrees extra). However most will see graphical corruption if they set their throttling point around 100 (an extra 20 degrees hotter). So I dont recommend going too much higher on the threshold if you do choose to raise the limit.

Another quirk that was found in the temperature reporting is that while the tablets were open and temp being read, if we brought a fan to blow into the processor then our external readings drop dramatically (as expected) yet the temperature reported in the device is still right at 80 degrees and doesnt drop even slightly with the addition of a fan.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all. I hate bloated OP's so this is a simple one. I don't post changelogs in here, only when I released new versions so you'll have to search for it.

Just for general awareness this is compatible with CyanogenMod based roms.

Download:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/

How to flash:
    fastboot flash boot image_name
    or
    flash the zip in your custom recovery

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/manta/tree/nightlies-4.4

Kernel changelog:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/appfiles/changelog.xml

franco.Kernel updater Free apk: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

F.A.Q.
    1. My tablet exploded, halp!
    A: I don't answer to problems without a log. The log file is in /proc/last_kmsg. Retrieve it from your device and attach it to your post.
    2. This kernel works on Y or X rom?
    A: This is one of the worse questions you can ask on my threads. This is a Nexus, it works on every rom you can possibly imagine.
    3. OMG BETTARY SUCKZ, IT DEAD IN 45 MINUTAS, HALP!
    A: As you can imagine I don't build kernels to decrease battery life. All the battery life problems come from your apps, either Facebook, or Maps, or some Location Service being enabled etc etc. Check your damn wakelocks and fix them, the kernel is not responsible for them.
    4. How do I flash this?
    A: Reading the OP, theres a reason why I added instructions on it.
    Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of idle tests because I've tweaked the power states latency on this device and I've got great results, so here is r8. Contains that lower latency which means it will enter and leave the C power states much faster which will probably achieve a good battery boost. Also contains a few tweaks to the memory bus frequencies adding a little bit of throughput when needed and some patches from upstream. I still haven't got time to look into to some Color Control on this display, I'll try to look at it further during the weekend, work has been hectic.
    4.2.2 kernel source are out, later when Im off work I'll release a kernel compatible and a few other changes I have in mind - I was waiting for 4.2.2 ro update this kernel.
    r13
    * Compatible with 4.3
    * Compatible with CyanogenMod and its derivates
    * Added ROW I/O and made default
    * Lots of I/O patches from upstream
    * Updated interactive governor to its last version from Android's gerrit
    * Updated CPUidle subsystem so that the device spends more time at the deepest states for better power consumption
    * Merged patches from Colin Cross to decrease power consumption
    * Updated the Wi-Fi driver to its latest version from Android's gerrit
    * Merged USB Audio changes from CyanogenMod to enable the usage of USB DAC's plugged to this device
    * Partitions properly mounted for increased I/O performance
    * Removed lots of debug from the Kernel
    * Disabled memory throttling if the device hits thermal throttling point
    I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas, lots of food, kisses, hugs, and quality time.

Thanks for sticking with FK even though this is not one of my priorities Kernel wise, although I promise to be more active like I did with the latest two releases. Very happy with r15 - but more improvements are coming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app