Why FroYo Kernel?

Search This thread

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
I have one question.

Why use the froyo kernel at all?

Upgrading ALL defy/defy+s to the latest (rootable, 1321 or 139 preferred for simpler root) 2.3.6 GB kernel would simplify rom/kernel development for the devs. Since more and more defy+s are in use they can simply drop development for the froyo kernels and focus on the GB kernel, since now all defys, whether the old one or + would be running 2.3.6. Any current devs (if they want to retain current status) would just have to switch to GB kernel support for their rom once and keep it that way.

Last edited:

vap_66

Jun 12, 2011
Because the SOC module (green lens) is compatible only with the Froyo kernel.
Upgrading to the Gingerbread kernel means that the camera will be unusable for those Defys.
Forgot to add: Having a locked bootloader sucks.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
So all defys are not equally upgradable to GB (kernel)?

What kinda BS policies are these from Moto? Locked BL they have their reasoning about not wanting users to hard-brick the phones, but what reason to not allow officially updating to GB for ALL defys?

vap_66

Jun 12, 2011
Unfortunately, no, not all Defys can be upgraded to the Gingerbread kernel and still be fully functional (exception being the Greenbread mod). And the devs can't do anything about it because of the locked bootloader.
Regarding Motorola and it's policies - it's all about the money. Outdated phone -> unhappy people -> they buy a new, updated phone -> happy Motorola.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9

Reactions: julianpaul

burton.hawk

Apr 21, 2012
Using Froyo makes sense for those, who want to keep the warranty and have to stick to the highest officialy available version. I had to update because CM roms work only with Froyo upwards.

Reactions: julianpaul

fdm1971

May 3, 2012
This means that there is Froyo source, but not the driver source for the green lens ?

At this moment, if I want to improve my Defy (green lens, original Froyo 2.2.2), what firmware is the best?
It should support everything (3G, 2G, HSDPA, WI-FI, camera for both photos and video recordings, GPS, sensors and so on).

I'm a newbie and for me it's a bit confusing to see a mod called, e.g., "[ICS] CM9 Android 4.0.4 for the Defy (Froyo kernel)" (there are others, this is only the first I've found... ;))

ICS is ICS, Froyo is Froyo.
What I gain and what I loose with an ICS "Froyo Kernel"?
Is it ICS or Froyo painted with ICS dust ?

fdm1971

May 3, 2012
Upgrading to the Gingerbread kernel means that the camera will be unusable for those Defys.
Well, I've just upgraded to WIUI 2.4.20 (GB) and now I've GingerBread (2.3.7) full working.
My Defy has a green lens and the camera is working, both for photos and videos.
Have I missed something about the thread?

jojimail

Oct 9, 2011
Trivandrum, Kerala
Motorola has locked the bootloaders of defy:mad::mad:
Thus we can only use motorola signed kernels.
Defy has a froyo kernel and defy plus has GB kernel. Both signed by motorola.
Only these to can be used in custom roms. Even in ics and even in jelly bean (Android 5.0) we will have to use these kernels as long as motorola doesnt unlock the bootloader. Froyo build of ics means ics that runs with froyo kernel. GB kernel works only with red lense cameras of defy and all defy+. So only froyo build will work for green lens defy.

julianpaul

Nov 5, 2011
^^

This was exactly why i was confused. Do you mean the green lens Defy cannot be officially upgraded (either OTA or RSDLITE) to GB ? And the red lens Defy can be upgraded to GB?

Last edited:

fdm1971

May 3, 2012
Are you sure WIUI changed your kernel? ROMs and kernels can play mix'n'match.
Maybe you're right...
Android Version 2.3.7
Kernel Version 2.6.32.9-gb08c3c8

But the 2.3.7 version is GingerBread, whilst the 2.6.32 kernel version is Froyo.
So what's the point ?
The mods are always Froyo but with GB features ?

jojimail

Oct 9, 2011
Trivandrum, Kerala
Defy with green lens can be upgraded to gb kernel but many features inculding cam may not work.
The gb kernel was extracted from defy+. As defy+ has only red lens the gb kernels works with defy red lens also.
Fully functional green lens gb kernel will be possible only when defy gets an official gb update (highly unlikely) or when the defy bootloader is unlocked(higly unlikely too).

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

defy green lens with gb kernel may end up in a bootloop.
so thread with caution.

Flashing an GB sbf will prevent you from coming back to Froyo(Downgrading).
Always try to flash using CWM to keep downgrading options alive

Last edited:

labsin

Apr 17, 2011
Antwerp
Redmi 9 Power
No defy owner should upgrade to gingerbread kernel by flashing an sbf. Our bootloader can load the gingerbread kernel, the gingerbread bootloader can't load the froyo kernel.
So when you flash the sbf you can ONLY use gingerbread kernel based ROMs from then. Otherwise you can just flash the kernel you want from the recovery.

It would even be wise for defy+ owner with bl5 and 6 to flash the bl6 froyo ROM so that they can use both builds by just flashing the right kernel.

About official gingerbread: they are for the defy+. Officially the defy has no gingerbread ROM. For some countries the defy even stays on eclair. Although it would have cost Motorola 5 min to replace the camera and battery drivers. Only problem is money for Motorola and the operators.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Forgot to add: Having a locked bootloader sucks.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9
    Unfortunately, no, not all Defys can be upgraded to the Gingerbread kernel and still be fully functional (exception being the Greenbread mod). And the devs can't do anything about it because of the locked bootloader.
    Regarding Motorola and it's policies - it's all about the money. Outdated phone -> unhappy people -> they buy a new, updated phone -> happy Motorola.

Trimis de pe Defy CM9
    Using Froyo makes sense for those, who want to keep the warranty and have to stick to the highest officialy available version. I had to update because CM roms work only with Froyo upwards.