[APP][UPDATE 8/31/13] KeepScreen v4.0 keep your device awake per active app

Search This thread

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
I like this apps, it keeps my google map always on. However I need to manually start the apps on each power up. Any way to have an option to auto start? Second nice to have feature is to sort these apps selected at the top.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

You're saying after selecting the apps you wish to have the screen remain on, then clicking "start/stop service" then rebooting your device, you must manually restart the service?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ahkow

Apr 3, 2010
After select the apps, eg google map and click start. It works fine. But if I reboot my phone, start google map the screen will off, I need to launch this apps and click start again.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
After select the apps, eg google map and click start. It works fine. But if I reboot my phone, start google map the screen will off, I need to launch this apps and click start again.

What ROM device? When you start your phone, do you see a "KeepService starting.." toast message?

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
another option with a different approach and more features

First and foremost i want to give ALL CREDIT to the original developer of this amazing app. KeepScreen is developed by AxDroid LLC and hosted for free on the play store.

It has been forever since they last updated it and they were not responding to my emails. Their website also returns with an error so i am not sure if the company is no longer in business or if they just abandoned the app. (Its ashame honestly i love this app)

You might also want to check this out. More options and control plus extra features on top of the behavior you seek: http://androidheadlines.com/2012/12...ile-improving-battery-life-while-playing.html

I don't mean to take anything from your app and have nothing to gain. I find this app invaluable though so I figured it was appropriate to share.

ahkow

Apr 3, 2010
Can't recall, I am using Galaxy Note, rooted with Phiz cwm kernel, stock rom. DXLR5.

Last edited:

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
You might also want to check this out. More options and control plus extra features on top of the behavior you seek: http://androidheadlines.com/2012/12...ile-improving-battery-life-while-playing.html

I don't mean to take anything from your app and have nothing to gain. I find this app invaluable though so I figured it was appropriate to share.

I'm totally lost... what's the point of posting this again?

DoubleP90

Jul 20, 2012
plus.google.com
I prefer Wakey, it's more user friendly

wakey+ad.png

Dilesh Perera

May 26, 2012
Colombo
Xiaomi Poco F1
Xiaomi Poco F3
very cool app

hi elesbb

very cool app. small request. can u add feature for dim light for the selected Apps. i mean where it goes from 100% to 50% and styas on in 25% light. something like that :) would be very cool in my opinion . cheers!!!
!

Last edited:

adl

Dec 18, 2010
So far it's running great!
It autostarts when I reboot, the little splash notification pops up and it is working just as expected.
Nice work, and thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

------------------------------------------------
If you like Techhouse you can listen to my tracks here:
www.facebook.com/mister.adl

ahkow

Apr 3, 2010
Move the apps from external SD to internal memory resolve the auto start problem. It's working fine now. Nice apps!
Thanks.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for mentioning this, I will use this in conjunction with keep screen for when I want my screen on in an app that isn't on my keep screen list

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

I use an app called screen on toggler. It has a long press search option so you can toggle it whenever

Soundtrack to Chaos

Dec 12, 2012
Broooooooooklyn
Hm.. Just realized this app doesn't even work half the time, on both my nexus and my gs3,while I had sms backup and amazon app store on respectively, both devices turned themselves off

On my nexus, it actually turned back on for some reason after it went off

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Hm.. Just realized this app doesn't even work half the time, on both my nexus and my gs3,while I had sms backup and amazon app store on respectively, both devices turned themselves off

On my nexus, it actually turned back on for some reason after it went off

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Wait when you say the screen shut off then turned on again, did it shut off by the device's timeout? Or did you shut it off?

And I know it fails to work sometimes. It's android killing the service. I just realized I modded my ROM to have my background services never close. Well after flashing cm10 I never did that mod and I noticed the service was getting cleaned up by the os. It's actually normal and proper operation by the ROM.. but we don't want that. Lol. I'll see what I can do. I hate having the notification icon always showing in my statusbar. So I'm gonna figure out how to (if possible) to make the service stay alive without the notification.

Reactions: imilic

Soundtrack to Chaos

Dec 12, 2012
Broooooooooklyn
Wait when you say the screen shut off then turned on again, did it shut off by the device's timeout? Or did you shut it off?

And I know it fails to work sometimes. It's android killing the service. I just realized I modded my ROM to have my background services never close. Well after flashing cm10 I never did that mod and I noticed the service was getting cleaned up by the os. It's actually normal and proper operation by the ROM.. but we don't want that. Lol. I'll see what I can do. I hate having the notification icon always showing in my statusbar. So I'm gonna figure out how to (if possible) to make the service stay alive without the notification.

Oh ok

I mean the screen just turned off and came back a second later, it was soo random and weird lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

garbageguy

Jul 18, 2007
thank you for picking this up again. ever since i moved to jellybean, none of the apps that i used that kept a list of apps to activate with have worked for me (they hang and crash when loading the list of apps) - i have used your updated version a few times, but at times it stopped working (dies, and i find myself at the lock screen). any idea ?

thanks

phone: galaxy s3 at&t, jelly bean 4.1.1 (stock); and yes, the notification icon stays on when launched.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
Ok so i was poking around and there is NO way to keep the service alive WITHOUT a notification. HOWEVER, i can make the notification icon (the one in the status bar) invisible, meaning you wont see it unless you drug down the notification bar. However, it will still take a place in the status bar, meaning every other notification will be pushed to the right by a wee bit.

I'll see about getting it finished soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***DELETE***

This app is now outdated. I am going to re-write it completely from scratch. I will obviously include the standard features, but is there anything else you users would like me to add?
    UPDATE: 8/31/13
    KeepScreen v4.0

- Optimized keep awake method. No longer using wake lock (should be more reliable)
    - Re-enabled notification icon for when the lock is active
    - Removed luminosity as it does nothing :)
    - Thanks guys prolly will be the last update :)

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE :) THANKS!

Have fun guys :) any issues let me know!
    COMPLETELY REWROTE SERVICE!!!

Completely rewrote the service! It is no longer using the old outdated method. This means that apps should NEVER timeout when you have it open. It is practically FLAWLESS! :)

I still need to clean up some things and enable the ability to stop it as well as enabling the notification option.
    OP Is updated!

UPDATE: 5/6/13

VERSION 3.0.0

- New auto restart. If the app dies, it will auto restart itself. If you are in an app which you have set to "Lock" the screen on, and the app dies, it MAY still shut off. I am working on a way to detect if the app died while locked and then restart holding a lock as well.

- New notification method. If you are running JB 4.1 or higher, you will NOT have an icon on the status bar all the time. However, if you are on ICS or lower, you will. This is probably the best version to ensure the app never dies.

However, if using the auto restart app. It shouldnt die so long as its holding a lock. Though, there is always the possibility of it dying.

If i had source code i could make this flawless. So i am trying my best! Thanks guys!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DONATE :) THANKS!
    OP UPDATED!!!

Included a version which has on going notification. HUGE thanks to theos0o for finding my derp mistakes and teaching me something new :)

Here are screenshots of the notification.
    7u6a3uby.jpg

ymumudu3.jpg