[Q] Few Issues After Changing File Permissions

Search This thread

SilentStapler

Aug 17, 2014
So I made a mistake because I was impatient :rolleyes:

I had found the thread on changing the ringer volume and saw it suggested to use 920 Text Editor to do so. After editing the file I kept trying to save it, but 920 kept telling me that it couldn't save the file because the directory was read-only. So in Root Explorer I kept changing permissions. First the file, then the directory, then finally the entire "system" directory. Then I learned that 920 has a setting that needs checked to allow it to make root changes. Oops.

The problem is that now when I go to change ringtones and press the plus sign to add new ones, I get "No applications can perform this action. Enable disabled built-in application?" and I click "OK" but nothing happens. I also don't show anything in my disabled apps that would be used for such an operation. The other problem I noticed is that my wifi no longer works. I can turn it on and it can connect, but it will only use my data connection.

Is there a way I can reset my phone's files' default permissions? If not, will a factory reset change them? I had previously read that factory resets don't change permissions.

I'm open to any suggestions!