Search This thread

atinm

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 16, 2010
This thread is reserved for nightly builds of CyanogenMod Rom for Samsung Captivate.

All Samsung Roms run on top of BML/RFS, CyanogenMod 7 does NOT.

It runs on MTD/yaffs2 (like Nexus One) which means you'll not able to flash just any kernel or run just any other filesystem you want. Use it as it is if possible, otherwise confirm with the kernel developer that you are trying to install whether it would work with CM. We do not support other kernels and know nothing about their capabilities or compatibility. Only the data partition, which is on movinand, is ext4 like on speedmod or voodoo ("lagfix"). No "lagfix" is necessary because this does not use any Samsung proprietary file systems.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
** Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
** cause of male impotence.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled build of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version changes each night and aren't officially supported.
If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bugs on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!! Make SURE you can get into Download mode using only buttons (no other method, Download mode from just buttons is essential).

INSTRUCTIONS:

Latest version: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=captivatemtd
Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
  1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
  2. Install ROMManager Premium.
  3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
  4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
  5. Choose download ROMs.
  6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
  7. Check the Google Apps addon.
  8. Check Backup current ROM!
  9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
  10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:

1. Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
  2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
  3. Do a Nandroid backup!
  4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
  5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
  6. Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
  1. Install ROMManager Premium.
  2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
  3. Choose Download ROMs.
  4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
  5. Check the Google Apps addon.
  6. Check Backup current ROM!
  7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
  8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
  2. Reboot into recovery.
  3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
  4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

Additional Information:

Maintainers:
atin - http://twitter.com/atinm
codeworkx - http://twitter.com/codeworkx
coolya - http://twitter.com/dumdidum
guiperpt - http://twitter.com/guiperpt
unhelpful - http://twitter.com/unhelpfulone

Irc:
Host: irc.freenode.net:6667
Channels: #cyanogenmod, #cyanogenmod-dev, #cmsgs

Changelog:
Generic Changelog CMSRC Twitter
Device specific Changelog by igor.tonky

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Grandelama

Apr 4, 2008
Very nice! definitely going to flash it
Is camera working fine now?

Last edited:

raymar23

Oct 7, 2009
Moncton, NB
Wow

Wow you mean I can actually use Gingerbread on my cappy. I was getting bored of playing with ginger on my HTC dream which is slowwwwer then slow.

Thanks to every dev working on this.

Reactions: or.saeros

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Just want to make sure my understanding is correct

- Don't use "reboot recovery" command or other shiny things to do this!
Flash cm7-captivate-initial-kernel.tar as pda using odin without auto-reboot

So after flash of efs pull battery, get to dl mode, flash initial kernel with auto reboot off. Pull bay after flash go back to recovery?

Do a wipe

Factory restore in clockwork?

Install the Nexus S USB-Drivers from SDK-Manager if you're using windows.

Are these drivers needed to use odin our just files transfers

To revert to a samsung rom, simply use odin with repartition option enabled.

Does odin one click qualify here or use full version?

Just making sure I understand instructions fully, thanks

Last edited:

Coak5

Jan 28, 2011
Thank you very much but because this is a test release, I will keep my eye very close to see how everyone else does on this ROM. Actually, I'm scared to flash this until it's stable enough for a daily driver :(.

Reactions: antoniopujadas

ytt3r

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 7, 2010
GA
Can I reserve a post this late? Lol

Sent from my Captivate using XDA App

.Candy

Feb 27, 2011
Hamden, CT
So after flash of efs pull battery, get to dl mode, flash initial kernel with auto reboot off. Pull bay after flash go back to recovery?
No, please read the instructions fifty-thousand times before you do anything. It clearly says to use the three button combo to reboot, directly underneath that. If you do a battery pull while in Download mode, you risk destroying your phone.
Factory restore in clockwork?
Yes.
Are these drivers needed to use odin our just files transfers
These are drivers to use your phone (incorrect, but avoiding the question). Just install the drivers, because the instructions say so. If you don't, you can't plug your phone into your computer.
Does odin one click qualify here or use full version?
Odin One Click. Or Odin3. It doesn't matter. Just reboot into Download mode using the button combo and use Odin.

Konner920

Sep 16, 2010
Norman, OK
I must be dumb but, There is no efs-backup for initial kernel to even download, Or I'm unable to find it. On that page, all I see is Initial package, update, and google-addon. No kernel, no efs package.

EDIT: k. I just fail. It was inside the initial package. .-.

Last edited:

mcord11758

Sep 6, 2010
Thank you for the response. The initial kernel to be flashed via odin is the z image inside the initial package?

Last edited:

IamSonoma

Mar 9, 2009
Great job guys. I want to try this as I will flash almost anything once. I will give it some thought. I feel I am one step above noob. Any noobs out there might want to wait some more. :) Then again if you are a flasher...

Awesome work/progress.

Edit: I made the plunge. Worth every minute.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread is reserved for nightly builds of CyanogenMod Rom for Samsung Captivate.

All Samsung Roms run on top of BML/RFS, CyanogenMod 7 does NOT.

It runs on MTD/yaffs2 (like Nexus One) which means you'll not able to flash just any kernel or run just any other filesystem you want. Use it as it is if possible, otherwise confirm with the kernel developer that you are trying to install whether it would work with CM. We do not support other kernels and know nothing about their capabilities or compatibility. Only the data partition, which is on movinand, is ext4 like on speedmod or voodoo ("lagfix"). No "lagfix" is necessary because this does not use any Samsung proprietary file systems.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

Code:
    ** These CyanogenMod builds are highly experimental and unsupported.
    ** Please refrain from submitting bug reports for any issues
    ** you may encounter while running one of these builds.
    ** Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
    ** cause of male impotence.

What are Nightly builds? Auto compiled build of the latest CyanogenMod source from github. This version changes each night and aren't officially supported.
    If you find bugs/issues you can/must discuss here (do not submit nightlies bugs on CyanogenMod issue tracker).

Warning : Not for new users, flash this build only if you know what you are doing !!! Make SURE you can get into Download mode using only buttons (no other method, Download mode from just buttons is essential).

INSTRUCTIONS:

Latest version: http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=captivatemtd
    Check the md5sum if you want to be sure that the download worked (different OSes have different programs that do md5, on ubuntu it is md5sum that you run against the zip you download and compare to the md5sum number shown on the download website). ROMManager does this automatically for ROMs you download via ROMManager.

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Captivate (or coming from another ROM)?

Easy way:
    1. Start with a rooted Eclair/Froyo running Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders (do not ask us how to do this).
    2. Install ROMManager Premium.
    3. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 2.x).
    4. Make sure you can reboot into ClockworkMod recovery from ROMManager. Reboot and get back into ROMManager Premium.
    5. Choose download ROMs.
    6. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    7. Check the Google Apps addon.
    8. Check Backup current ROM!
    9. Check wipe data, cache, dalvik cache.
    10. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Harder way:

1. Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
    2. Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid backup!
    4. WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
    5. Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
    6. Optionally install the Google Addon (through ROMManager is easiest)

- Upgrading from earlier CM7?

ROM Manager method:
    1. Install ROMManager Premium.
    2. Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. Pick Captivate (MTD) (ignore the warning about not having an official, pick ClockworkMod 3.x).
    3. Choose Download ROMs.
    4. Pick the CyanogenMod Nightlies.
    5. Check the Google Apps addon.
    6. Check Backup current ROM!
    7. Check wipe cache, dalvik cache.
    8. Let ROMManager finish the installation.

Clockwork Mod method:

1. Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Do a Nandroid Backup!
    4. Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

There are no Google Apps bundled with CM ROMs, because Google asked Cyanogen to remove copyrighted apps. After flashing the rom, don't forget to flash Google Addon package if you want it. ROM Manager will allow you to flash it if you just go into it and after flashing the ClockworkMod recovery for MTD devices, choose Download ROMs, and pick Google Apps.

Additional Information:

Maintainers:
    atin - http://twitter.com/atinm
    codeworkx - http://twitter.com/codeworkx
    coolya - http://twitter.com/dumdidum
    guiperpt - http://twitter.com/guiperpt
    unhelpful - http://twitter.com/unhelpfulone

Irc:
    Host: irc.freenode.net:6667
    Channels: #cyanogenmod, #cyanogenmod-dev, #cmsgs

Changelog:
    Generic Changelog CMSRC Twitter
    Device specific Changelog by igor.tonky

Please visit the CyanogenMod Wiki for step-by-step installation walkthroughs and tons of other useful information.

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy![/QUOTE]
    After much thought I have decided to move off of CM7. As much as I love cm7, the development seems slow and severely lagging behind the cm7 RCs. Most of the bugs that get reported get turned down for various reasons and the battery life is horrid. I hope things improve at some point, but its still very beta and not moving quickly at all. And since we can't ask how things are going and eta's etc, all I can do is move to stability and monitor cm progress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

Thanks for sharing.

I'm sure other people are thinking the same things so I'll try to explain where we are.

We're stalled a bit waiting on things that are outside our control right now.

Kernel source code that is essential to solving many of the problems is not available to us from Samsung, and so we're doing what we can without having any documentation of the hardware or source code that actually works with our hardware that is not from Froyo. Regardless of what some idiots who show up now and then say, porting over drivers from the mess that the Froyo kernel drivers are, over to the clean world of Gingerbread from Nexus S is not trivial - especially not when you're twiddling bits that you have no idea what they do to hardware because you lack documentation and are trying to support multiple models of phone while even Samsung seems to segregate their kernel trees by model. Also, many of the drivers were in binary form even on Froyo, and we cannot use that in Gingerbread for the simple reason that binary modules from one kernel do not work in a newer revision of the kernel if enough changes happen between revisions(and enough has changed between linux 2.6.32 on Froyo and linux 2.6.35 on Gingerbread).

Second, comparing SGS to the other manufacturer's devices doesn't really make sense given that this is the first time an SGS has run CyanogenMod while the other phones have a path already because they've been made to work much earlier with previous versions or the other hardware running CM7 have source for the essential pieces that we do not for SGS. Samsung also did things very differently in SGS from Nexus S, let alone from say HTC, and this is an issue that has not been addressed in the CyanogenMod sources and so we have had to make changes that we are waiting on the CyanogenMod team to approve before we can merge with mainline.

It is best to think of the SGS phones are an outlier in the Android world - it is almost as if Samsung was really building it to run another OS and then switched at the last minute to Android. When they switched, they hacked stuff in so that they did not follow the Android model for how the kernel and Android talk to each other. Instead they put in their own custom hacks that are not portable across phones, and break many of the clean interfaces that Android is based on. This is why Samsung Apps from their Gingerbread release will *still* not work on CyanogenMod because CyanogenMod is a clean AOSP build that uses the same code base for all phones, only the underlying hardware interfaces are different. The Nexus S is not a Samsung phone internally in that it has been re-implemented to follow Android guidelines and therefore it was trivial to have CyanogenMod working on it (trivial compared to SGS anyway). We wish we could take more of the drivers from Nexus S given that the hardware is similar, but there are critical pieces that are different and those are exactly the parts that we haven't been able to fix completely.

Hope that clears things up. We're waiting on:

1. Samsung source for Gingerbread for the SGS phones.
    2. CyanogenMod team approvals for our submissions for merge to mainline. We have a few critical ones that are pending, after that the merge should be much easier (we hope).

I am working on headset issues for Vibrant, and will be doing some investigation on battery issues after that. The compass is being worked on, and so is the camera. We just haven't had anything to commit, but it isn't for lack of trying (though sometimes it is just that real life constraints give us less time as well).

As far as complaining, or talking about donations that some people do - neither of those things motivate us. I don't ask for donations (except for people to sign up as organ donors, but that isn't directly for me obviously), and anyway, donations are just that - donations. We aren't doing this for the donations, and donating does not give anyone any extra support than not donating. We're doing this because it is a challenge, and is fun, and because we want our own phones to work better. Donations are a nice thank you, but a straight thank you is fine too and means as much. What is appreciated more is taking over some of the support on these threads to give us time to concentrate on coding.

Last I'm saying on this . . .
    You didn't let go this right, we have warned you 3 times (2 different moderators).

@ OP. I will close this thread temporary to do some heavy cleaning. Please understand. I will open this later.
    Just uploaded 06032011 Nightly:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/teamhacksung/files/captivate/

In addition to the changelog on the site linked in the OP, I also added some lower brightness settings from Nexus S that we used to have before. Other than that, if builtbots work tonight, this'll be a repeat. I'll merge the brightness changes soon so builtbots pick them up as well.
    Sold my captivate guys. Although I wouldn't had if I couldn't get CM7 on my new device, but that's neither here nor there ;) Anyway.. just wanted to thank all the users in this thread for helping me out when I needed help or for continuing to make CyanogenMod a positive experience. Thanks again and I wish all you captivators the best and happy CM'ing :D