How to make an extended rom - a tutorial.

Search This thread

fdp24

May 20, 2006
msw
meschle:
great tutor.
if i can make few comments, they might be useful for ext_ROM makers.
- you can flash just ext_ROM. no need to include OS in .nbh, you can have both, but it will just flash longer.
when you flash ext_ROM, device will be re-initialized after the flashing. consider as hard reset (save data before flashing ext_ROM). it is not the case for example when you flash radio;
- in order to flash ext_ROM, device should be cid unlocked or with USPL installed;

it was a question somewhere if it is possible to install sw (software) from Storage Card.
yes, you can install sw from Storage Card. card is already initialized when customization takes place (installation of ext_ROM).
please keep in mind following:
- to install sw from Storage Card, sw should be located on Storage Card;
- normally sw which you install, should be signed with certificate. if this is not the case then include Cert_SPCS.cab in ext_ROM and have this .cab to be installed first (first line in config.txt)
example:
LOCK:Enabled
CAB: \Extended_ROM\Cert_SPCS.cab
CAB: \Extended_ROM\PP_AKv30-DefaultPage_ALL.CAB
- use correct syntax in config.txt;
- sw still installed on main memory;

example: you wish to install BatteryStatus on Storage Card.
1. Copy BatteryStatusExt.1.04.build_0240.CAB to \Storage Card\Installs directory (this is example, could be any directory). i mean file should be on Storage Card in directory of your choice, before you flash the device.
2. include line in config.txt
CAB: \Storage Card\Installs\BatteryStatusExt.1.04.build_0240.CAB
your final config.txt will be something like this:
XML: \Extended_ROM\PP_ExtVer.xml
EXEC:\Extended_ROM\ChgScutAttri.exe
LOCK Disabled
RST: Reset

please don't forget to use correct syntax related to your country ROM.
you can't use "Storage Card" on Russian, Spanish or French ROM, it will name differently.
guess what will happen if you forgot to install micro SD card before flashing? yes, it will not work :)
you will get error message during customization process and will need to re-flash ext_ROM again.
you can only have sw in ext_ROM which does not produce dialog windows after installation, otherwise it will not install.

re: there is copy command available, if someone need it. you can have it in config.txt.
CPY1:\Extended_ROM\Info.txt
CPY2:\Storage Card\Install\Info.txt
this will copy Info.txt included in your ext_ROM to Storage Card during customization process.
regards,

Last edited:

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
meschle:
great tutor.
if i can make few comments, they might be useful for ext_ROM makers.
- you can flash just ext_ROM. no need to include OS in .nbh, you can have both, but it will just flash longer.
when you flash ext_ROM, device will be re-initialized after the flashing. consider as hard reset (save data before flashing ext_ROM). it is not the case for example when you flash radio;
- in order to flash ext_ROM, device should be cid unlocked or with USPL installed;

it was a question somewhere if it is possible to install sw (software) from Storage Card.
yes, you can install sw from Storage Card. card is already initialized when customization takes place (installation of ext_ROM).
- normally sw which you install, should be signed with certificate. if this is not the case then include Cert_SPCS.cab in ext_ROM and have this .cab to be installed first (first line in config.txt)
example:
- use correct syntax in config.txt;
- sw still installed on main memory;

example: you wish to install BatteryStatus on Storage Card.
1. Copy BatteryStatusExt.1.04.build_0240.CAB to \Storage Card\Installs directory (this is example, could be any directory). i mean file should be on Storage Card in directory of your choice, before you flash the device.
2. include line in config.txt
your final config.txt will be something like this:
XML: \Extended_ROM\PP_ExtVer.xml
EXEC:\Extended_ROM\ChgScutAttri.exe
LOCK Disabled
RST: Reset

you can't use "Storage Card" on Russian, Spanish or French ROM, it will name differently.
guess what will happen if you forgot to install micro SD card before flashing? yes, it will not work :)
you will get error message during customization process and will need to re-flash ext_ROM again.
you can only have sw in ext_ROM which does not produce dialog windows after installation, otherwise it will not install.

re: there is copy command available, if someone need it. you can have it in config.txt.
CPY1:\Extended_ROM\Info.txt
CPY2:\Storage Card\Install\Info.txt
this will copy Info.txt included in your ext_ROM to Storage Card during customization process.
regards,

Good info thanks! I have been meaning to edit the st concerning the os.nb inclusion.
If you already have an extended rom on your device then yes you can just flash extended rom, but if you don't you need to include os.nb in the nbh otherwise it will not flash. Most of the cooked roms here are os only roms so if you wanted to add an extended rom you'll have to include os.nb for it to flash.
Cheers for the input!

- normally sw which you install, should be signed with certificate.

Then, if we have a piece of software which installs OK from extended_Rom,we can have it installed also from SD card!
So we are able to achieve same config as brand new, but with minimum Extended_ROM(no Cabs inside), getting more free memory!!!

and cookers of ROMs dont need to cook a new ext_ROM whenever an app that they include in their custom ROM is updated by the developer, as long as the updated Cab keeps original name!!!

4tune

Aug 31, 2007
Alkmaar
This is getting more interesting every minute.
Question, I tried to open an (official) extended rom with WinImage from a Trinity. The first rom gave an error. The second was excepted by WinImage, but no files are shown.

I can’t see why this wouldn’t work. Any suggestions?

/edit
Looks like it's just an empty one. That is if ext rom's are fixed size?

Last edited:

dan1967

Aug 16, 2006
Guangzhou
Yes they are fixed size whether empty or not so use the smallest for your requirements.

I must say that since I started to use the Extended_ROM for my own customisations its' dimension grew slowly from 2M to 9.25M (I still have .32M free) without any drop in performance or other bad side effects.

cheers,
dan

Minotavrs

Jan 14, 2005
www.MinOtaVrS.da.ru
meschle bro Great Work !! Can u help me a little... I try to build the official Greek ROM with the latest radio and when i try to build the ROM with Dark simpsons htc rom tool I get tis stupid message from rom builder !! THERE IS NO DEVICES TO BUILD ROM FOR EXISTS IN CONFIGURATION FILE What doing wrong any suggestion to solve this?

Thanks in advance

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
meschle bro Great Work !! Can u help me a little... I try to build the official Greek ROM with the latest radio and when i try to build the ROM with Dark simpsons htc rom tool I get tis stupid message from rom builder !! THERE IS NO DEVICES TO BUILD ROM FOR EXISTS IN CONFIGURATION FILE What doing wrong any suggestion to solve this?

Thanks in advance

You are missing this file

Attachments

• htcrt.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 269

lalt

May 21, 2007
No extra storage memory!

Thank you Meschle for this awesome tutorial!

I followed your instructions step by step and successfully flashed a 2 MB Extended Rom on my Artemis. However, while some 12MB are freed up, I'm quite surprised not to see any effect on the storage memory (still 32.45 MB). I've searched the whole forum and Internet but nobody seems to encounter this issue.

What did I miss? Does it have something to do with the pagepool size?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
lalt

Artemis with official French WM6 ROM

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
Thank you Meschle for this awesome tutorial!

I followed your instructions step by step and successfully flashed a 2 MB Extended Rom on my Artemis. However, while some 12MB are freed up, I'm quite surprised not to see any effect on the storage memory (still 32.45 MB). I've searched the whole forum and Internet but nobody seems to encounter this issue.

What did I miss? Does it have something to do with the pagepool size?

Thank you in advance for your kind help.
lalt

Artemis with official French WM6 ROM

Can you give your total storage memory and free strorage memory. Pagepool affects program memory not storage. Yes the official htc has a rather large ext rom at 15mb so cutting it down to 2mb should free up 12-13mb.

lalt

May 21, 2007
Can you give your total storage memory and free strorage memory. Pagepool affects program memory not storage. Yes the official htc has a rather large ext rom at 15mb so cutting it down to 2mb should free up 12-13mb.

- Storage Memory: 32.45 MB / Free: 27.07 MB (Tomtom and some other stuff moved to SD card)

- Program Memory: 47.90 MB

Last edited:

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
- Storage Memory: 32.45 MB / Free: 27.07 MB (Tomtom and some other stuff moved to SD card)

- Program Memory: 47.90 MB

I reckon you just used extended rom.nb to make nbh and flash - right?
You'll have to extract os.nb as described and add ext rom.nb to make a new nbh and flash - then the size of ext rom on device will change.

Minotavrs

Jan 14, 2005
www.MinOtaVrS.da.ru
Mechre my bro master of kitchen :p i need your help.

I am from Greece and i download yesterday from htc europe the latest OFFICIAL wm6 ROM (HTC_P3300_WWE_3.13.405.1_4.1.13.44_02.94.90_Ship_R)

ACE HELLAS Greek provider of Greek artemis devices have release yesterday this extended Greek ROM (P3300_WM6_0.4.2.0_G R.exe) included all the greek staff (GR menu GR mms options, GR network providers greek keyboard etc) . But this extended rom works only with the official HTC ROME above.

And My Problem is... I want to install the latest ACE Greek ROM to your rom 2.2 or any other cooking rom but i get an error mesage and installation stops (I have setup USPL all the times and my SPL change to 1.11.0000)

I have try to install the extracted cabs from ACE GR ROM but my Artemis freeze and first boot screen.

The Device info about the official ROM with Greek ROM i attached to u and the Boot info is:

IPL 3.13.0001
SPL 3.13.0000
GSM 02.94.90
OS 3.13.0.0

I have extract all the nbl files and i have try too many times to install or cook another rom but my artemis its bricking (for 10th time)..

Any suggestion how i work it. I need your help desperately..
Please help me to work this ACE ROm with cooking roms thank you

I have upload here the ACE GR ROM here

this is the link for the official wm6 from HTC http://member.htc.com/member/login.aspx?fm=eu&ln=en

Thanks in advance

MinOtavrS

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 87

meschle

Feb 23, 2006
Coventry, England
Which cooked rom have you tried to add greek extended rom too? I think my 2.1 a bit full to add a large ext rom too - 2mb is prob the limit. What size is the greek extended rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Newbies should'nt be making rom :D
    This is my theory for a newbie who has such ambitions - take this path.
    1. Successfuly edit registry
    2. Unlock and flash cooked rom
    3. Cook extended rom
    4. Learn how to make cab files
    5. Decompile nbh into nb's and compile new nbh with different nb's
    6. After these 5 steps are completed newbie will no longer be a newbie and ready to cook a rom - it doesnt matter which order thats done in its just a guide - also cab making is not absolutely essential but preferable.