[APP] - IOU: Easy loan tracking

Search This thread

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
Hey there, everyone.

After a long time, I decided to rebuild my application from scratch.
The new version - IOU 'Revamped' - includes more functionality, and is generally better 'under the hood.'

Some of the new features:

The first is archiving IOU’s: instead of deleting an IOU completely, you can now archive them for future reference. It’ll also save the date on which you archived it, in case you want to look it up.

The second is adding return dates: when adding a loan you can now add a return date. Next to the three current pages (‘Overview’, ‘I owe’, ‘They owe’) a fourth one shows only loans with a deadline.

The third is a live tile: IOU is a Windows Phone 7-exclusive app, and Live Tiles are a Windows Phone-exclusive feature. Makes sense to implement it, right? The back of the live tile now shows you your upcoming deadline plus how many deadlines you have in total.

The fourth is pinning a secondary tile: tapping the secondary tile on your start screen, immediately brings you to the ‘New IOU’-page.

I think I'm pretty much done now, so I'm looking for betatesters.

Screenshots of the new version van be found here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/a.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/b.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/c.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/d.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/e.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/f.PNG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12455989/IOU screenshots/2.0/g.PNG

BELOW THIS LINE IS OLD STUFF!

Ladies and gentlemen!

On the first of July, I finished coding my first WP7 application.
Since then I've been fixing bugs, adding new features, and polishing the designs.

Right now, the app is pretty close to finished. So I decided to post a .xap here for you to try while it's submitted to the testing queue.
Tombstoning is not implemented yet, but not very essential either.

News regarding the app, updates, and the changelog can be found on the corresponding dev-blog.

Feedback can be sent through the app, via the blog or posted here. Whatever you prefer - it'd be much appreciated!

About IOU

IOU, an online abbreviation for “I Owe You”, is an application for Windows Phone 7. IOU provides you the tools to keep track of anything you borrow - or others borrow from you.

Key elements are an easy-to-use interface and high performance.

IOU started as a personal Silverlight learning project. The concept had potential, but the execution was unfulfilling. By the time I had mastered the Silverlight basics I began a complete, structured rewrite, with the final application as result.

Features:
  • Keep track of all the stuff people borrowed from you, or you borrowed from them;
  • Keep track of both borrowed items and money.
  • Edit loans to keep them up to date, or to correct mistakes.
  • View loans in a mixed list as well as separate lists of what you owe others or they owe you;
  • “Glance and Go” & metro design philosophy: you can see most information about a loan right there in the overview list, without having to tap it to see all of its details;
  • Full theme-integration, using the background and accent color from your phone;
  • Animated page transitions for a smooth and visually-appealing interface.
  • Choose one out of four different tiles to fit in with your theme.

Some random facts:
  • I intend to update the app regularly, adding new features and polishing existing functionality;
  • IOU will always have a fully featured, free version available;
  • IOU was submitted to the Windows Phone Marketplace for testing and certification on the 1st of July, 2011;
  • This is the first application I’ve submitted, and the only application I’ve submitted so far;

Screenshots
Screenshots can be found here, while an overview of the possible custom tiles can be found here.

Download
IOU v1.3 is now available in the windows phone marketplace. However, because of trouble with my developer account, I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEND UPDATES. Therefore I have removed the link.

That'll also provide you with easier updates, and the app no longer counts for the limit of sideloaded applications.
Thanks in advance for the feedback,

cPT.cAPSLOCK.

Last edited:

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
I like the Interface, very Metro. Also: the fact that you can pretty much "costumize" the Tile icon is a nice touch.

It would be nice if the splashscreen would also use the proper accent color, right now it's blue by default.

EDIT: I am not sure if the tile actually works right. I set it to black and inverted and pinned it afterwards but it still shows up as white and "normal" Does it take a while if I pinned it after setting the tile?

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
I like the Interface, very Metro. Also: the fact that you can pretty much "costumize" the Tile icon is a nice touch.

It would be nice if the splashscreen would also use the proper accent color, right now it's blue by default.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the splashscreen uses a static image while loading the app. Therefore, I can change the color, but it's impossible to have it fit everyone's accent color.
It's one of the things bothering me too though - I use a Lime as my own accent.

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the splashscreen uses a static image while loading the app. Therefore, I can change the color, but it's impossible to have it fit everyone's accent color.

My suggestion would be to use a white arrow with black text then. That way, it'll fit all accents. But then again, its's just a splashscreen, a very minor thing :)

Localhorst86

Jul 5, 2011
Germany
So, I just added a bunch of IOUs to the app. Here's a few suggestions:

-setting a due date would be nice
-also, it would be cool if the app could ring an alarm if that due date passes.
-when you succesfully add a bunch of IOUs and then use the back button to get out of the app, you'll "re-open" the add entry page again and it'll keep asking "You are about to discard your changes. Continue?". It would be cool if the app did not try to backk through those entries. (I am not a friend of "tombstoning" my running apps, I like to "cleanly" back out.)

behh

Jan 19, 2011
you should add currency options, i know its not some big flaw, but it looks silly for me that i owe my polish friend 15 pounds, not zloty : )
anyway app is simple but looks and runs very solid, kudos for you :)

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
you should add currency options, i know its not some big flaw, but it looks silly for me that i owe my polish friend 15 pounds, not zloty : )
anyway app is simple but looks and runs very solid, kudos for you :)

Thanks for the feedback!

The app uses your phone's region settings. So Americans see USD, the English see GBP, and so forth.
Try going to settings, "region & language", and change 'Region format' to "Polish".

It should show up correctly then.

Eklecktis

Sep 23, 2011
Dear cT. Can you please make your app available in the South African marketplace.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Dear cT. Can you please make your application available for the South African marketplace.

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
I'm sorry, I can't.

I have lost access to my developer account. Something went wrong, causing the app to be lost in limbo.

I might be able to release it again sometime, but I'm not sure when that would be.

Eklecktis

Sep 23, 2011
I can't seem to PM you. I have a name of someone that you can email to recover access to your account. Can you PM me your email address?

cPT.cAPSLOCK

Feb 27, 2009
Groningen
replaced screenshot links with new, working ones.

Any feedback is welcome.

If you'd like to be a betatester for me, please PM your live ID so I can include you.
Thanks in advance!