[Q] My Photon became and Electrify?!?!

Search This thread

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
I bought a Motorola Photon and unlocked the boot loader, rooted, Clockwork Mod Recovery'd, tried the whole Sprint phone unlocked for all carriers, then flashed CM9.

I tried to sbf back to stock and somehow (assuming I downloaded the wrong file along the way) I now have a Motorola Electrify that tries to run on U.S.Cellular.

I have subsequently downloaded all three stock sbf files on ShabbyPenguin's website and none of them will flash. (Super mega thanks to Shabby!)

I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I've been searching all over this forum and the general interweb since roughly 9:00pm last night. Does anyone know a way I can force my phone to allow the flash that keeps failing on "re-enumeration"?

I come from mostly Samsung devices and RSD seems to be the closest thing to "download mode" but in download mode you can pretty much flash anything. Sorry this is long and rambling.

KTT16

Aug 26, 2011
Fremont
I bought a Motorola Photon and unlocked the boot loader, rooted, Clockwork Mod Recovery'd, tried the whole Sprint phone unlocked for all carriers, then flashed CM9.

I tried to sbf back to stock and somehow (assuming I downloaded the wrong file along the way) I now have a Motorola Electrify that tries to run on U.S.Cellular.

I have subsequently downloaded all three stock sbf files on ShabbyPenguin's website and none of them will flash. (Super mega thanks to Shabby!)

I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I've been searching all over this forum and the general interweb since roughly 9:00pm last night. Does anyone know a way I can force my phone to allow the flash that keeps failing on "re-enumeration"?

I come from mostly Samsung devices and RSD seems to be the closest thing to "download mode" but in download mode you can pretty much flash anything. Sorry this is long and rambling.

Yikes... I think once people flash that Electrify SBF by mistake, they are screwed.

spleef

Jul 6, 2009
port arthur, texas
goo.im
Take it to nearest Sprint store ask someone there to reprogram it you tried to do a system update and the battery died in the middle of it and how your phone is now is the end result if you have insurance it will be free to program it and if it fails to program should get new/ refurbished one for free or at the worst what ever the replacement fee is worth a shot worked for me once I tried to flash an sbf and my damn battery drained completely. Took it to Sprint store said the above and received the above. Gl

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

w0lf215

Oct 21, 2011
If you dont have the insurance it will cost you $35 for a replacement phone. I bricked mine without insurance and had to cough up the $35 for a new one. They tried reflashing my phone for free though but it didnt fix issue, so they should reflash it for you no problem without charging

Evilsj

Do you think they'll do it even though its booting up as an electrify on U.S.Cellular?

Honestly, it depends on who you see. As a Sprint employee who works at a S&R store, and into rooting myself, I'd have no problem with it (Upstate NY btw). But technically, since it's unlocked, its broken the warantee, and if you go to a store thats very by the books, it's gonna be iffy. If you can, go to a serice and repair store that IS NOT corporate, and likely they'll do it for you. If they ask if you rooted it, just say yes, and one of two things will happen. Either they'll say "sorry, we can't help you" and then you go to a different store, because trust me, that **** doesn't get noted or anything, or since the guy knows what rooting is, he's probably into it himself and will sympathise and get you a new one.

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Sprint service and repair store turned me down. Looks like I'm just gonna keep at it. I figure I'll get it at some point. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll give it a try.

Reactions: TheChronicDroid

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Currently, it does not say unlocked. It also gives me an error message if I try to execute any fastboot commands aside from:

moto-fastboot -w
&
moto-fastboot reboot

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Motorola is saying all I can do is send it in to them. I can get into RSD mode but nothing will successfully flash. I'm starting to think they might be right. I'm just so used to having Samsung phones. They're relatively easy in comparison. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

radrian92

Nov 16, 2010
Placentia
Try # moto-fastboot -w and then rds unlock then #moto-fastboot erase recovery #moto-fastboot flash recovery recovery-cyan-photon3.img (cwm) and you should be good! *cross fingers*

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

medic233

Nov 12, 2011
Ghent
Yeah, that is not going to work either.
That electrify ROM is a PITA when placed on the Photon.
I was able to exchange mine at the local store, but I luck out in the fact that they LOVE me there.
My exchange didn't cost me a dime either. However by that time the phone wouldn't charge either, so it wasn't booting, so they couldn't see the unlocked or the US Cellular boot animation.
Plus the fact the the owner and one of the techs were running Photons really helped.
Good luck.

Sirricharic

May 29, 2011
I have the same problem I think the only way to solve this is to actually unlock it and use a custom rom. OR wait for Sprint to release a 2.3.5 rom to flash since you have a 2.3.5 bootloader I basically have a useless phone now :(

jonas916

Aug 27, 2011
Columbus
Ok, I've tried that. Basically what I've found is that the 2.3.4 sbf for both the Photon 4G and the Electrify are unlockable, but the 2.3.5 which is available for the Electrify comes with a non unlockable bootloader. Somewhere along the line I must have accidentally flashed that and now I'm screwed. There is no way to downgrade without unlocking and no way to unlock that bootloader at this time. Sorry for the bad news to anyone else in this predicament. If anyone comes across a solution, please let me know.

Jo_795

Jan 8, 2011
Ok, I've tried that. Basically what I've found is that the 2.3.4 sbf for both the Photon 4G and the Electrify are unlockable, but the 2.3.5 which is available for the Electrify comes with a non unlockable bootloader. Somewhere along the line I must have accidentally flashed that and now I'm screwed. There is no way to downgrade without unlocking and no way to unlock that bootloader at this time. Sorry for the bad news to anyone else in this predicament. If anyone comes across a solution, please let me know.

try "frying" the phone phone/cpu so u can get it replaced without them seeing it unlocked ?

medic233

Nov 12, 2011
Ghent
More or less that is what I did. By the time I brought my phone into the local store, it wouldn't even turn on.
Now when the tech put his charged battery into the phone, it showed whatever it did, but I was taken care of.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sprint service and repair store turned me down. Looks like I'm just gonna keep at it. I figure I'll get it at some point. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll give it a try.