[Question] Atrix as Mediastation with Media-Dock?

Search This thread

muhski

Jul 17, 2007
Hi Guys,

as I'm thinking of getting a new phone sooner or later, I was thinking how to use my Atrix and my Multimedia-Dock later on.
I never used the Lapdock mode or HDMI mirroring, but I bought the multimedia dock because it was really cheap and I can use my Atrix as a digital clock also.
So please forgive me if I'm asking questions that only work with the lapdock mode :)
My idea is:
I want to use the Atrix as a media-station for music (on storage and streaming).
As the multimedia dock as a 3,5mm line-out, I thought this might work. I'm on MIUI V5 with JB right now and just plugging in something in the 3,5mm line-out won't let me listen to any music, as I guess this line-out only works in lapdock-mode, because it will get the audio signal from HDMI (?).

I want to know if this might work with any rom that supports lapdock, because for the functions I want, I don't need the newest Android with the latest features.

Another function that would be awesome is to pair the Atrix via Bluetooth with other devices so the Atrix can play music via BT from other devices. Is this possible, too?
Like: Music on new phone --> BT --> Atrix connected to speakers plays music.

If there are any threats like this already, I'm really sorry, but a quick search didn't give me any results ;)

Thanks!

P.s.: Can I put USB-storage on the multimedia dock when the Atrix is in lapdock mdoe?

andresrivas

Aug 4, 2010
Córdoba
Indeed, you need to go back to gb or atrics to fully use the hd dock.

You can connect any pendrive to those usb, phone will mount them.

Not sure about bt. Guess is possible

Enviado desde mi MB860 usando Tapatalk 2

G_or_Gazz

Feb 21, 2014
Snap

I recently received back an Atrix that I purchased on behalf of a friend sometime ago. I also figured it could perhaps be of use at the mother-in-laws when my son is there. I have another account with xda though it has been so long since I used the forum to post that I could not remember my username! So I just clicked to log in via G+. Its been great seeing that such an old (at least in terms of android developement) device has still got some very good support and excellent contributers. Before my Nexus4 I had a Galaxy S and that got flashed regular from the great work that goes on here.
It didn't take much reading to work out that Atrics looked as if it would suit my needs best for some simple internet use and perhaps media viewing on the Bravia the phone will be hooked to. I am hoping I may also find an XBMC build that will be stable enough to enhance the system! So today I found the time to get the basic Atrics 2.0 up and running, One or two little bugs too work out but am sure they will have been covered already. Installed FlashFox browser to make sure flash works without any hassles and just completed a rom backup and upgrade of the kernel to 14-02-05. The difference is noticeable straight away Krystian, good work.
I'll try to keep up with my project and how it goes. How is your project working out muhski?
Thanks again to just about everyone within this forum who has posted, I narrowed initial problems down quickly due to the very useful guides and information :cool:

Reactions: LawlessPPC

G_or_Gazz

Feb 21, 2014
setup restrictions

So I set up everything up nicely using the atrics ROM. Due to the TV and setup at the mother in laws, using the stereo out on the dock was not viable. This forced me to roll back to Nottatrix4g for a quick fix of using the HDMI to pass sound as well as audio. As a result I have a nice portable setup which will reside at the mother in laws for my son to use and perhaps his grandad too. I kept the ROM install as slim as possible without removing any functionality that may be required if we take the system on holiday for example. I installed several addons in xbmc and went through each to check the ones that wouldn't work easily for example asking for an external player, (the ones that did work easily all diverted to mxplayer). I added both Firefox and dolphin for flash based browsing, a couple of the games he plays on my Nexus 4 and an emulator to play the games I still have from the NES. The emulator is tied into wiimote for an easier experience for him although I would have preferred a more manageable pad but since that's as good as free.
So the the real test will start tomorrow, my main concern would be the system recovering from any crashes but up to now with the exception of xbmc occasionally closing, I have only had one issue with Bluetooth and the mouse showing paired but not. I deleted the db and that resolved the issue which I was unable to replicate.
So my experience would be to tell you if a similar project was looked at, check your hardware and see how the audio can connect best. If you can only do audio with HDMI stay on 2.x.x ROM, if you can stereo from the dock into the TV by RCA's or an amplifier you can use atrics ROM or a 2.x.x based ROM. Other than this you shouldn't need to spend too long finding a good use to a redundant Atrix.
The xbmc version came from xbmcandroid as the official xbmc does no longer support tegra² chips. If your reading this regarding a newer phone then the official version may suit you better.

Thanks to everyone who has made this possible I will try and name everyone and their apps in a review of the system in the hands of the young and the old in a week or two!

Harrson

Oct 31, 2008
So I set up everything up nicely using the atrics ROM. Due to the TV and setup at the mother in laws, using the stereo out on the dock was not viable. This forced me to roll back to Nottatrix4g for a quick fix of using the HDMI to pass sound as well as audio. As a result I have a nice portable setup which will reside at the mother in laws for my son to use and perhaps his grandad too. I kept the ROM install as slim as possible without removing any functionality that may be required if we take the system on holiday for example. I installed several addons in xbmc and went through each to check the ones that wouldn't work easily for example asking for an external player, (the ones that did work easily all diverted to mxplayer). I added both Firefox and dolphin for flash based browsing, a couple of the games he plays on my Nexus 4 and an emulator to play the games I still have from the NES. The emulator is tied into wiimote for an easier experience for him although I would have preferred a more manageable pad but since that's as good as free.
So the the real test will start tomorrow, my main concern would be the system recovering from any crashes but up to now with the exception of xbmc occasionally closing, I have only had one issue with Bluetooth and the mouse showing paired but not. I deleted the db and that resolved the issue which I was unable to replicate.
So my experience would be to tell you if a similar project was looked at, check your hardware and see how the audio can connect best. If you can only do audio with HDMI stay on 2.x.x ROM, if you can stereo from the dock into the TV by RCA's or an amplifier you can use atrics ROM or a 2.x.x based ROM. Other than this you shouldn't need to spend too long finding a good use to a redundant Atrix.
The xbmc version came from xbmcandroid as the official xbmc does no longer support tegra² chips. If your reading this regarding a newer phone then the official version may suit you better.

Thanks to everyone who has made this possible I will try and name everyone and their apps in a review of the system in the hands of the young and the old in a week or two!

Did you ever get around to making the list of applications used in your media center build?

Also, does the remote control work with it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Snap

I recently received back an Atrix that I purchased on behalf of a friend sometime ago. I also figured it could perhaps be of use at the mother-in-laws when my son is there. I have another account with xda though it has been so long since I used the forum to post that I could not remember my username! So I just clicked to log in via G+. Its been great seeing that such an old (at least in terms of android developement) device has still got some very good support and excellent contributers. Before my Nexus4 I had a Galaxy S and that got flashed regular from the great work that goes on here.
    It didn't take much reading to work out that Atrics looked as if it would suit my needs best for some simple internet use and perhaps media viewing on the Bravia the phone will be hooked to. I am hoping I may also find an XBMC build that will be stable enough to enhance the system! So today I found the time to get the basic Atrics 2.0 up and running, One or two little bugs too work out but am sure they will have been covered already. Installed FlashFox browser to make sure flash works without any hassles and just completed a rom backup and upgrade of the kernel to 14-02-05. The difference is noticeable straight away Krystian, good work.
    I'll try to keep up with my project and how it goes. How is your project working out muhski?
    Thanks again to just about everyone within this forum who has posted, I narrowed initial problems down quickly due to the very useful guides and information :cool: