won't power on but battery not flat, recovered after an hour charging

Search This thread

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
Anyone had an issue where out of nowhere, the tablet appears bricked, won't respond to power button even held down for >30 seconds?

Mine did that and it was at around 50% battery.

I charged it anyway for around an hour and then it powered on OK (phew). The battery said 90% on poweron, so I know for a fact it wasn't flat when it 'softbricked' (as an hour will only charge the battery halfway or even less).
I was running stamina mode, not sure if its got anything to do with it.

Really hope it doesn't repeat otherwise I have to return it.... or is this software bug....

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
i believe its volume up + power button for hard reset

and it seems like you have a faulty one... try repairing it with sony pc companion first, if the problem still persist then exchange for a new one.

Reactions: erosco

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
I figure I"ll give it at least an update first before returning it. Its otherwise a fantastic device, and this is the first trouble I've had.

FWIW it hasn't done it again, been around 48 hours now.so hoping one off.

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
I figure I"ll give it at least an update first before returning it. Its otherwise a fantastic device, and this is the first trouble I've had.

FWIW it hasn't done it again, been around 48 hours now.so hoping one off.

I had, but as @LitoNi writes you must press power + volume up simultaneously in 10 seconds. It is written in the installation guide that came along with your tablet. I first tried the small red button next to sd-card in vain, because that is reset on my Z Ultra.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
I had, but as @LitoNi writes you must press power + volume up simultaneously in 10 seconds. It is written in the installation guide that came along with your tablet. I first tried the small red button next to sd-card in vain, because that is reset on my Z Ultra.

OK so you had the problem as well? Has it recurred for you?

next time try charging it for an hour, might save you a hard reset

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
OK so you had the problem as well? Has it recurred for you?

next time try charging it for an hour, might save you a hard reset

Yes, pressing power+volume up restarted.

it's a soft-reset (power cycle) not hard reset.

Hardly anything to do with battery in my case, since it was fully charged and still was after soft-reset. It just happened from one moment to the next. I was sitting with several gadget and switching between them. Since I am rooted, It could be an xposed module locking up.

I was very worried at the time, till I found the guide. I hasn't occured since.

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset

volume up + power button = ~5 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset

volume up + power button = ~5 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down

A hard reset restore to factory settings and clear the device. That is NOT what happens.

The installation guide only mention 10 seconds and that was a restart as far as I remember. Don't have the device with me, to test.

LitoNi

May 5, 2012
Vancouver
A hard reset restore to factory settings and clear the device. That is NOT what happens.

The installation guide only mention 10 seconds and that was a restart as far as I remember. Don't have the device with me, to test.

just tested on my Z2 tablet, seems like sony changed how things work with V up + power

Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset no longer reboots. to force reboot: just open the flaps and click on it the little button.

volume up + power button = ~1-2 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
just tested on my Z2 tablet, seems like sony changed how things work with V up + power

Holding down:

volume up + power button = ~1-3 seconds = 1 vibrate = reboot/hard reset no longer reboots. to force reboot: just open the flaps and click on it the little button.

You are right about power off. This time the little red button also did that for me. Anyhow, as long as I can reboot and enter recovery or fastboot I am fine. Then I can always wipe what I want, if factory settings and clearing the device are needed.

erosco

Feb 27, 2007
Melbourne
You are right about power off. This time the little red button also did that for me. Anyhow, as long as I can reboot and enter recovery or fastboot I am fine. Then I can always wipe what I want, if factory settings and clearing the device are needed.

"volume up + power button = ~5 seconds or more = 3 vibrate = force shut down"

Can someone advise me the procedure (if it exists) to recover from the force shut down?

It seems I've done this trying to get to recovery and now can't even get to the sony logo despite hitting the red button. I hope I haven't destroyed my tablet, as I need to get to recovery and restore a backup after wiping system to try an ftf flash that failed.

Thanks
erosco

Last edited:

pmeinert

Nov 7, 2010
This is from memory and on phone. If you hold volume up while connecting USB to a computer, you should enter fastboot and issue a fastboot command on the computer to reboot, recovery, flash etc. Look up Android and fastboot for the exact syntax.

erosco

Feb 27, 2007
Melbourne
This is from memory and on phone. If you hold volume up while connecting USB to a computer, you should enter fastboot and issue a fastboot command on the computer to reboot, recovery, flash etc. Look up Android and fastboot for the exact syntax.

Did try this - but no joy.. thanks

---------- Post added at 07:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Did try this - but no joy.. thanks

Finally found a way out!!!!!!!

fwiw My Z2 tablet went dead after I tried flashing a prerooted zip. NO response to any key combinations, no lights, no vibrations and computer wouldn't recognize it at all. Tried charging over night, nadda. Did a chat with Sony support and was told to hold the on/off/reset switch by the sd/sim card for 120 seconds. I did that and when I plugged it back on the the charger my tablet was back. I was able to boot into recovery, flash a known good zip and I'm back up and running.

Can't thank (you both) enough!

Regards
erosco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i believe its volume up + power button for hard reset

and it seems like you have a faulty one... try repairing it with sony pc companion first, if the problem still persist then exchange for a new one.

Holding down:

Holding down: