Kexec-hardboot patch

Search This thread

Tasssadar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
In this post, I would like to explain what kexec-hardboot patch is and also bring it to light a bit more since until now, it was only burried in MultiROM thread.

@kernel developers: I would like to ask you to merge this patch to your kernels, because it is essential part of MultiROM - it allows me to boot any kernel without changing the boot partition. I realize that it is no small request, but the patch is not big, touches relatively stable parts of kernel and should not cause any problems. Thank you.

What is kexec?
It is syscall of Linux kernel, which allows you to boot another Linux kernel without restarting the device - "Linux boots itself". The functionality is equivalent to fastboot -c *cmdline* boot zImage initrd.img, but without PC and fastboot. It is fairly known thing, so more info at wikipedia and man kexec.
Standard kexec call unfortunatelly does not work on Nexus 7. It freezes somewhere, and it is very difficult to find out where - probably some of the drivers are not shut down/re-initialized properly, it is a commong thing among Android devices, which is why kexec-hardboot was made.

What is the difference between normal and hardboot exec?
Kexec-hardboot patch adds a real device restart to that process, so that all the drivers can be properly reinitialized. It stores new kernel to RAM, reboots the device as usual, and kernel from boot partition immediately jumps to the one which was stored to RAM before reboot.
Another difference is that both kernels must be patched. The "host" kernel requires a full patch, the one which is being kexecd' requires only two small compatibility patches.
To sumarize the process:
  1. kexec --load-hardboot.... is called and kernel it loaded into RAM.
  2. kexec -e is called. Special info is written to memory (to area which is not overwritten on reboot) and the device is rebooted.
  3. After reboot, very early in the boot process, kernel checks if that special info is present in RAM and if so, it loads new kernel from RAM and jumps to it.
  4. Kexecd' kernel starts and boots.
For more info, read the original thread.

Patches:
Full kernel patch: https://gist.github.com/4558647, 4.1 kernel repo, cm 10.1 kernel repo
This is the full kernel patch. Kernels with this patch can be both "host" and "guest" kernels.
Related CONFIG options:
  • CONFIG_KEXEC=y
  • CONFIG_KEXEC_HARDBOOT=y
  • CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y
  • CONFIG_GROUPER_HARDBOOT_RECOVERY=n
First three options must be enabled. Last one, GROUPER_HARDBOOT_RECOVERY, specifies if the kexec call should reboot to normal mode or to recovery. This can be useful if you don't have the kernel in boot partition but only as kernel in recovery partition. You usualy want to disable this option.

Compatibility patch: https://gist.github.com/4458581
This patch only makes the kernel bootable via kexec, ie. it can't be the host kernel. This was made for Ubuntu kernel (and it was accepted), because I did not want to drag the whole patch in there. If your kernel is for Android ROMs, you should use the full patch.​

Userspace kexec binary: View attachment kexec-tools.zip
That ZIP file contains kexec source, patches and README. It is from the original patch from Mike Kasick. It also contains precompiled, statically linked kexec binary, so you probably just want to use that.​

Usage:
Once you have the kernel patches and kexec userspace binary in place, just run following command to boot into new kernel:
Code:
kexec --load-hardboot zImage --initrd=initrd.img --mem-min=0x85000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
kexec -e
Note the command line parameter - cmdline from bootloader is not added automatically, you have to put it there by yourself.

Currently used by:
MultiROM - I use it to boot different kernels (eg. Ubuntu).
MOSLO - Part of Plasma Active for Nexus 7, also usefull tool for every N7 developer - read more: http://ruedigergad.com/2012/12/09/nexus-7-easily-flashaccess-entire-userdata-partition/

Authors:
This patch was made by Mike Kasick for Samsung Epic 4G. Since that, it was ported to several devices, one of them is Asus Transformer TF201 - I used patch from TF201 and modified it a bit (basically just changed few SoC specific constants). People at #ubuntu-arm helped me out with that, thanks.

Last edited:

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
Hi Tasssadar,
im trying to get this to work on the HOX in order to have a shot at multiboot,
the patched applied with no problem... however on compiling i gett this error
"Adress for kexec hardboot page not defined"
ask this error naturely defined to kick in with every device beside N7 i that comment completely....
and that ended up giving me an error about KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR not defined,
so i readded it, but i removed the "#if defined(CONFIG_MACH_GROUPER)"

now trying to compile it, its gets pretty close to the end... but failed with unexpected string error at line OUTPUT_ARCH(arm) in file linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds
Code:
/*
 *  linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds.in
 *  Copyright (C) 2000 Russell King
 * This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
 * it under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 as
 * published by the Free Software Foundation.
 */
OUTPUT_ARCH(arm)
ENTRY(_start)
SECTIONS
{
  /DISCARD/ : {
    *(.ARM.exidx*)
    *(.ARM.extab*)
    /*
     * Discard any r/w data - this produces a link error if we have any,
     * which is required for PIC decompression.  Local data generates
     * GOTOFF relocations, which prevents it being relocated independently
     * of the text/got segments.
     */
    *(.data)
  }

. = 0;
  _text = .;

.text : {
    _start = .;
    *(.start)
    *(.text)
    *(.text.*)
    *(.fixup)
    *(.gnu.warning)
    *(.glue_7t)
    *(.glue_7)
  }
  .rodata : {
    *(.rodata)
    *(.rodata.*)
  }
  .piggydata : {
    *(.piggydata)
  }

. = ALIGN(4);
  _etext = .;

.got.plt		: { *(.got.plt) }
  _got_start = .;
  .got			: { *(.got) }
  _got_end = .;
  _edata = .;

. = ALIGN(8);
  __bss_start = .;
  .bss			: { *(.bss) }
  _end = .;

. = ALIGN(8);		/* the stack must be 64-bit aligned */
  .stack		: { *(.stack) }

.stab 0		: { *(.stab) }
  .stabstr 0		: { *(.stabstr) }
  .stab.excl 0		: { *(.stab.excl) }
  .stab.exclstr 0	: { *(.stab.exclstr) }
  .stab.index 0		: { *(.stab.index) }
  .stab.indexstr 0	: { *(.stab.indexstr) }
  .comment 0		: { *(.comment) }
}
also, im booted into windows now... so i can't provide the exact error.

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
I'm afraid "comment everything which doesn't work" won't work here. The KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR and END_MEM is device-specific, it will most likely be different for HTC One X. You can find out what address is it supposed to be by examining /proc/iomem on your device. For example, here's memory map from grouper:
Code:
80000000-be9fffff : System RAM
  80008000-808faba7 : Kernel text
  80940000-80b8228f : Kernel data
beb00000-bebfffff : ram_console

So, for grouper, END_MEM is 0xbe9fffff + 1 = 0xbea00000.
KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR is located 1MB before console RAM, which is in this case also immediatelly after System RAM, so for grouper, it is also 0xbea00000.

but failed with unexpected string error at line OUTPUT_ARCH(arm) in file linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds
That doesn't seem to be related to this patch. Are you using correct cross-compiler?

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
I'm afraid "comment everything which doesn't work" won't work here. The KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR and END_MEM is device-specific, it will most likely be different for HTC One X.

i figured :p
but im walking you through what i did.

You can find out what address is it supposed to be by examining /proc/iomem on your device. For example, here's memory map from grouper:
Code:

KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR is located 1MB before console RAM, which is in this case also immediatelly after System RAM, so for grouper, it is also 0xbea00000.

Code:
7d000000-7d003fff : tegra-udc.0
  7d000000-7d003fff : tegra-otg
    7d000000-7d003fff : tegra-udc
7d004000-7d007fff : tegra-ehci.1
80000000-beafffff : System RAM
  80008000-8094000f : Kernel text
  809a8000-810b940f : Kernel data
bec00000-beffffff : fbmem
bf000000-bf7fffff : fbmem

0xbeafffff + 1 = 0xbeb00000

grrr that would put me inside the ram_console...
aaaa would it wok if i used the address before??
7d00800

Edit:
or did your ram RAM end earlier because you set you END_MEM 0xbea00000
in that case, it works out just the same with the HOX

That doesn't seem to be related to this patch. Are you using correct cross-compiler?
i would have guessed so, but the kernel compiled and is working before the patch.
im using the one provided by google (Android NDK r9) while it contains booth gcc 4.6/4.8 im using 4.6 (arm-linux-androideabi-)

Last edited:

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
The patch will move ram_console 1MB further, see https://gist.github.com/Tasssadar/4558647#file-n7_hardboot-diff-L387 . You'll have to modify this part of the patch, it will be in different file for your device.

HOX is also a Tegra 3 device... so im guessing i wont need to touch a thing?
also note... that iomem provided is from an unpatched kernel (as i cant compile a patched one)

also,
im currently on freenode #htc-one-x
if you dont mind joining.

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
I've been looking through the kexec-hardboot patch these last few days, trying to actually understand it instead of just blindly porting it and after several hours of messing with assembler with no means to debug it, I've managed to remove the need for guest kernel to be patched. This is not really useful for grouper, since thanks to multirom and accepting kernel devs, nearly every third-party kernel has the proper patches. But, if I'll port multirom to some other device (hello, flo), it will be very useful :)

To know more see the changes in this commit, but you'll probably need to understand how the patch does things: https://github.com/Tasssadar/androi...mmit/2ce4130061f72430a8ddfde25346c4e528c5c30b

@mkasick: Could you please look over this? I'm afraid there's some good reason why you didn't do this in the first place, like rewriting some part of memory which shouldn't be rewritten or something like that. Thank you.

Last edited:

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
I've been looking through the kexec-hardboot patch these last few days, trying to actually understand it instead of just blindly porting it and after several hours of messing with assembler with no means to debug it, I've managed to remove the need for guest kernel to be patched. This is not really useful for grouper, since thanks to multirom and accepting kernel devs, nearly every third-party kernel has the proper patches. But, if I'll port multirom to some other device (hello, flo), it will be very useful :)

To know more see the changes in this commit, but you'll probably need to understand how the patch does things: https://github.com/Tasssadar/androi...mmit/2ce4130061f72430a8ddfde25346c4e528c5c30b

@mkasick: Could you please look over this? I'm afraid there's some good reason why you didn't do this in the first place, like rewriting some part of memory which shouldn't be rewritten or something like that. Thank you.

Perfect timing, just finished my last exam :)

Edit:
Also, this applies on top of the original patch right??

Edit2:
i can't seem to get it to kexec boot, but i didn't do much testing, maybe 2morrow night!

Edit3:
fixed, it was a problem with min-addr,
changed it to 0x82000000 and it worked :)

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
Yes, it is SoC-specific. This is using some special register to reset the chip, I'm not sure if that is available on msm chips - probably yes, but in some different form. Your best chance is to examine restart sequence in arch/arm/mach-msm/restart.c and port it to assembler.

Hal9k+1

Aug 9, 2013
Usage:
Once you have the kernel patches and kexec userspace binary in place, just run following command to boot into new kernel:
Code:
kexec --load-hardboot zImage --initrd=initrd.img --mem-min=0xA0000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
kexec -e
The address of 0xA0000000 is not necessarily the best choice going forward. It originally made perfect sense, as it is well above everything else. But now that we can boot unpatched guest kernels, we can hit the interesting situation where the guest decompression may take a full minute. At least it's when I've seen on the Ouya game console that's running the next chip after Grouper.

When I realized what's going on, I changed to 0x8E000000, as it gets me just below the 256 MB limit of cache-enabled memory that's present on a typical guest at that early decompression stage. It's enough to hold a typical 8 MB boot image kernel/ramdisk. Now the guest kernel startup is fast in all cases.

Thank you Tasssadar for continuing your work in this area, especially with finding that way to allow unpatched guests.

king960

Feb 4, 2013
Warsaw
Would it work on devices with locked bootloaders (Xperias). I mean :does the idea of this patch would also work on bootloader unlock allowed :no devices?

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

rachanta

Jun 28, 2009
I am trying to build a kexec patched kernel integrated into a ROM. I make sure that the following code is there in the defconfig:
CONFIG_KEXEC=y
CONFIG_KEXEC_HARDBOOT=y
CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y

The ROM works well, except that it does not boot my secondary ROMs - kexec hardboot patch missing. I have multi ROM and TWRP recovery installed
What am I missing?

Last edited:

Tasssadar

Dec 31, 2010
Brno
tasssadar.github.com
Logs or it didn't happen.

Show me dmesg from normal boot into android, with MultiROM and your kernel installed.

Code:
adb shell
su
dmesg > /data/local/tmp/dmesg.txt
exit
exit
adb pull /data/local/tmp/dmesg.txt

Reactions: skaven2k2

Buglol

Jul 23, 2013
karachi
Porting?

Tassadar which things do I need to boot kexec kernel on my device (Motorola Electrify 2) .:confused:

Last edited:

Myself5

Recognized Developer
Mar 17, 2011
myself5.de
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Sony Xperia Z3v
@Tasssadar, Sorry for picking up this kinda "old topic" but I'm sadly experiencing some problems while trying to port kexec-hardboot to the Sony Xperia Z2 (aka sirius). I applyed all needed commits (cherry-picked from a apparently working Z1 repo for stock kernel) to my CM based custom kernel (https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974/tree/kexec-cm-12.0) and it does not boot at all. It's stuck on the Sony Logo, and it seems like I can't get any log either. I also tryed the stock cm kernel with the patch (https://github.com/Myself5/android_kernel_sony_msm8974-kexec) cause I tought it might be some incompatibility, but sadly it wasn't. Hope you have any ideas to solve my problems, cause I'm out of ideas ATM. I also checked the kexec commits for other devices (namely the One Plus One) and it seems like I got everything needed.

Thanks in Advance

mythos234

Feb 8, 2015
Wrocław
In this post, I would like to explain what kexec-hardboot patch is and also bring it to light a bit more since until now, it was only burried in MultiROM thread.

@kernel developers: I would like to ask you to merge this patch to your kernels, because it is essential part of MultiROM - it allows me to boot any kernel without changing the boot partition. I realize that it is no small request, but the patch is not big, touches relatively stable parts of kernel and should not cause any problems. Thank you.

What is kexec?
It is syscall of Linux kernel, which allows you to boot another Linux kernel without restarting the device - "Linux boots itself". The functionality is equivalent to fastboot -c *cmdline* boot zImage initrd.img, but without PC and fastboot. It is fairly known thing, so more info at wikipedia and man kexec.
Standard kexec call unfortunatelly does not work on Nexus 7. It freezes somewhere, and it is very difficult to find out where - probably some of the drivers are not shut down/re-initialized properly, it is a commong thing among Android devices, which is why kexec-hardboot was made.

Kexec-hardboot patch adds a real device restart to that process, so that all the drivers can be properly reinitialized. It stores new kernel to RAM, reboots the device as usual, and kernel from boot partition immediately jumps to the one which was stored to RAM before reboot.
Another difference is that both kernels must be patched. The "host" kernel requires a full patch, the one which is being kexecd' requires only two small compatibility patches.
To sumarize the process:
  2. kexec -e is called. Special info is written to memory (to area which is not overwritten on reboot) and the device is rebooted.
  3. After reboot, very early in the boot process, kernel checks if that special info is present in RAM and if so, it loads new kernel from RAM and jumps to it.

Patches:
Full kernel patch: https://gist.github.com/4558647, 4.1 kernel repo, cm 10.1 kernel repo
This is the full kernel patch. Kernels with this patch can be both "host" and "guest" kernels.
Related CONFIG options:
  • CONFIG_KEXEC=y
  • CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y
First three options must be enabled. Last one, GROUPER_HARDBOOT_RECOVERY, specifies if the kexec call should reboot to normal mode or to recovery. This can be useful if you don't have the kernel in boot partition but only as kernel in recovery partition. You usualy want to disable this option.

This patch only makes the kernel bootable via kexec, ie. it can't be the host kernel. This was made for Ubuntu kernel (and it was accepted), because I did not want to drag the whole patch in there. If your kernel is for Android ROMs, you should use the full patch.​

Userspace kexec binary: View attachment 1653562
That ZIP file contains kexec source, patches and README. It is from the original patch from Mike Kasick. It also contains precompiled, statically linked kexec binary, so you probably just want to use that.​

Usage:
Code:
kexec --load-hardboot zImage --initrd=initrd.img --mem-min=0x85000000 --command-line="$(cat /proc/cmdline)"
kexec -e
Note the command line parameter - cmdline from bootloader is not added automatically, you have to put it there by yourself.

Currently used by:
MOSLO - Part of Plasma Active for Nexus 7, also usefull tool for every N7 developer - read more: http://ruedigergad.com/2012/12/09/nexus-7-easily-flashaccess-entire-userdata-partition/

Authors:
This patch was made by Mike Kasick for Samsung Epic 4G. Since that, it was ported to several devices, one of them is Asus Transformer TF201 - I used patch from TF201 and modified it a bit (basically just changed few SoC specific constants). People at #ubuntu-arm helped me out with that, thanks.

I'm sorry for picking up this older topic as well, but I always played with the thought of merging kexec support into a kernel and I'm doing one right now.. But my secondary device is a LG G2 and since the era of Lollipop began, somehow MultiBoot just stopped working and nobody can figure out why. I think they even started to build some new concept now.. So before I spark a heated debated by Note 4 users I'd love to know if you have any idea if this patch is still applicable? Altough the only way to find out is to probably just try it lol. :D

regalstreak

Jun 26, 2013
Mumbai

Bro can you please mention on your wiki that kexec isnt supported for x64 devices? It will be great help and save developers hours! I was porting for oneplus 2 when a dev told me that kexec isnt there for x64. I was shocked :p
Is any alternative available for that? Please reply! Thanks.

All other devs, who cant make multirom to work (lollipop is the x64 era) stop working. Kexec isnt supported for x64. Find an alternative for it.

Reactions: manan001

DeadSquirrel01

Jun 2, 2016
Rimini
Can Anyone help me to port this? Here is my patched kernel (ignore arch/arm64) and this is /proc/iomem.
Code:
80000000-854fffff : System RAM
  80008000-80fa43ef : Kernel code
  81112000-817bf797 : Kernel data
8cb00000-9fefffff : System RAM
9ff00000-9ff3ffff : persistent_ram
9ff40000-9ff7ffff : persistent_ram
9ff80000-9fffffff : persistent_ram
a0000000-ffffefff : System RAM
For kexec_hb_page_addr the value i inseted is 85500000 coz as tasssadar said 884fffff + 1 = 85500000, but I don't know what value add for
Code:
#elif defined(CONFIG_ARCH_MSM8916)
	/* Restart using the PMIC chip, see mach-msm/restart.c */
	ldr	r0, =MSM8916_HARDBOOT
	mov	r1, #0
	str	r1, [r0, #0]
loop:	b	loop
MSM8916_HARDBOOT, and if I compile the kernel it stucks on samsung logo.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

What is kexec?

To sumarize the process:

Patches:
    Related CONFIG options:
    • CONFIG_KEXEC=y
    • CONFIG_ATAGS_PROC=y

Userspace kexec binary: View attachment kexec-tools.zip

Usage:
    Code:
    kexec -e

Currently used by:

Authors:
    I'm afraid "comment everything which doesn't work" won't work here. The KEXEC_HB_PAGE_ADDR and END_MEM is device-specific, it will most likely be different for HTC One X. You can find out what address is it supposed to be by examining /proc/iomem on your device. For example, here's memory map from grouper:
    Code:

but failed with unexpected string error at line OUTPUT_ARCH(arm) in file linux/arch/arm/boot/compressed/vmlinux.lds

The patch will move ram_console 1MB further, see https://gist.github.com/Tasssadar/4558647#file-n7_hardboot-diff-L387 . You'll have to modify this part of the patch, it will be in different file for your device.
    Logs or it didn't happen.

Show me dmesg from normal boot into android, with MultiROM and your kernel installed.

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dmesg > /data/local/tmp/dmesg.txt
    exit
    exit
    adb pull /data/local/tmp/dmesg.txt