Screen keeps turning off

Search This thread

Frexxia

May 26, 2009
I recently bought a Galaxy Note Pro, and have a weird issue. The screen keeps turning off (just like if I had pressed the power button) for no apparent reason. Has anyone else else encountered this?

I have an inkling that it may be due to false detection of my book cover closing, but I cannot find a way to turn this detection off.

dodo99x

Apr 2, 2011
Ottawa
Some book covers will trigger magnet sensor when the cover is flipped to the back of the tablet. There's no way that I know of to turn off the feature entirely.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

ExtremeRyno

Jul 19, 2012
Yeah, I have that issue, mainly caused when the cover is folded back and I lie the tablet flat.

Frexxia

May 26, 2009
Some book covers will trigger magnet sensor when the cover is flipped to the back of the tablet. There's no way that I know of to turn off the feature entirely.

Isn't that the way you're supposed to use the book covers? It would seem that this is a huge design flaw.

edit: "Good" to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem. Not so great if there is no fix for it, though.

Last edited:

tonyz3

I recently bought a Galaxy Note Pro, and have a weird issue. The screen keeps turning off (just like if I had pressed the power button) for no apparent reason. Has anyone else else encountered this?

I have an inkling that it may be due to false detection of my book cover closing, but I cannot find a way to turn this detection off.
if you are rooted i believe there is an xposed module which will turn this feature off. and also under general, accessary settings- i believe there is a setting..

Frexxia

May 26, 2009
if you are rooted i believe there is an xposed module which will turn this feature off. and also under general, accessary settings- i believe there is a setting..
I haven't rooted it, and I'd rather not. There are some settings under General -> Accessory that pertain to book covers, but nothing like disabling the detection.

muzzy996

Feb 4, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii
FWIW I tried the Xposed module called MagnetOff (currently version 1.6 dated 3/12/2014) and disabling magnet has no effect on smartcover usage on the 12.2 .

I don't see magnet settings in Wanam so I'm not sure what other module to try.

I'm just thankful that I don't have this issue with my case.

Frexxia

May 26, 2009
Has anyone tried to physically remove the magnet from a book cover? I think I may have identified where the magnet that is used for detection is located, but I'm sort of apprehensive about trying to dig it out without destroying the cover.

Froschfinger

Apr 26, 2009
Berlin
www.enoversum.de
Has anyone tried to physically remove the magnet from a book cover? I think I may have identified where the magnet that is used for detection is located, but I'm sort of apprehensive about trying to dig it out without destroying the cover.
I had a Note 10 2014 for testing some weeks ago, basically the same cover for it without any problems (Ivso slim cover), so I basically wonder what problem the Note 12.2 actually has with the cover.

In your case, does it coincide with your hardware buttons (menu, middle, menu button) not being responsive anymore? Once I remove the case from the lower back a bit, they are working again.

Thanks in advance

Froschfinger

Frexxia

May 26, 2009
I had a Note 10 2014 for testing some weeks ago, basically the same cover for it without any problems (Ivso slim cover), so I basically wonder what problem the Note 12.2 actually has with the cover.

In your case, does it coincide with your hardware buttons (menu, middle, menu button) not being responsive anymore? Once I remove the case from the lower back a bit, they are working again.

Thanks in advance

Froschfinger
Yes, sometimes they stop working, but I don't think it always happens.

JasonD.Revs

Mar 29, 2014
I realized its the book cover from samsung too. When its laid flat its cause lots of problem the screen will turn off and the tablet will remain unresponsive even if u turn the screen back on with power button. Haiz alot of problems encountered just in a week of using this tablet. Spent quite an amount of money on this device but its giving me so much trouble. After I realized its the book cover. I never laid it flat with the flap behind the tablet anymore. But when I using it in a "stand-mode" while watching a youtube video it happened again :( I downloaded apps that keep screens on, but they aren't working either. The screen will randomly turn off when I am watching the videos.:eek:

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
I too have the same issue. I try using it without the case for a bit to see how it does but without the case I feel pretty nervous using it.

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
It does appear to be the Samsung case. I've been using my Logitech case for the past couple hours and I cannot get the screen to turn off on its own at all. A quick change back to the Samsung case and within 2 minutes the screen went blank.

VERY pathetic Samsung.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
It does appear to be the Samsung case. I've been using my Logitech case for the past couple hours and I cannot get the screen to turn off on its own at all. A quick change back to the Samsung case and within 2 minutes the screen went blank.

VERY pathetic Samsung.

Mine never did it until this week. Strange. And only When I hold it a certain way

wingdo

Apr 28, 2010
Chicago
Mine never did it until this week. Strange. And only When I hold it a certain way

Worst part is, I almost took the Pro back due to it just shutting off or becoming unresponsive. I've had zero issues since changing cases, but when I put the Samsung case back on all the issues come back. I have 2 cheap cases with the magnets in them and neither gives my Note issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FIXED

Just fold up a piece of paper a few times. Pull off the case. You will see a square near the hole for the camera. This is the magnet that is turning the tablet off. Tape the paper over the square. This creates enough distance from the tablet so the magnet isn't detected. Easy 30 second fix.
    Cheers!
    The following solved the turning-off problem for me...

I took the metal lid of a preserving jar (no aluminium; a magnet needs to adhere to it) and cut it with a usual kitchen scissors, so that I have a flat piece of metal. I bend it on two opposite sides so that it exactly fits to the cases relief on the right lower side of the camera opening. I fix this with a crêpe tape like you can see on the picture. The fix is very thin and it does not impact (scratch or so) an inserted device. With this, the device no longer turnes off unintentionally in any position.
    Could you explain a bit more what exactly you mean by a preserving jar? Or could you post a pic of exactly what you taped to the back of the case to prevent the issue?

Google "mason jar" to see what he means. Very common item at department stores like Walmart.