Extreme measures for better battery life

Search This thread

pasquy85

Nov 20, 2011
Here: root+phenomenal kernel 1.1 + checkrom HD 4 + espier launcher + lot of stuff frozen with titanium ;)

Here: root+phenomenal kernel 1.1 + checkrom HD 4 + espier launcher + lot of stuff frozen with titanium ;)

*sorry off topic*
Have u tried bloat freezer for app freezing(completely stops any app from running at all...I've noticed titanium doesn't freeze all apps completely))

Okay sorry...back on topic
Best way yo preserve battery life? Plug ya phone in anywhere u can whenever u can. Until new battery technology is released or android system gets overhauled and changed dramatically battery will be an issue...new battery tech isn't far off tho....just sayin ;)

sonicfreak360

Aug 19, 2010
Best way yo preserve battery life? Plug ya phone in anywhere u can whenever u can. Until new battery technology is released or android system gets overhauled and changed dramatically battery will be an issue...new battery tech isn't far off tho....just sayin ;)
But your method isn't what we want, we want to preserve, not just have!

jtdc

Aug 17, 2008
Geylang
Thank you for the info on Slide Screen Pro (I found only it's homepage. Can't find it on the market though). I'll make sure to check it out since I believe it's the thing I would love to use + save up BL. It's funny that this app actually reminds me on the homescreen of my old HP iPaq 100 series with Windows Mobile 6.0 :)

Edit: Unfortunately Slide Screen Pro has somehow stopped developing that's why it's not on the market anymore :/. Thanks anyways ^_^

yea, the apk is there though, is it still useful?

Code:
http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/the-end-of-slidescreen/

Reactions: jankoboys6

ksantoshh

Nov 27, 2011
Singapore
Hi everybody

Is it common that I charge the phone to 100% and when I go to sleep lost 10% every night (8 or 7 hours)?

I disable wifi, 3g and bright screen is minimun

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

PD: I use the last Turkbeyrom (v29.2) and the kernel siyah v2.4.1
Ideal would be < 1% / hour. If you are not using using phone during sleep, you can put your phone to flight mode :)

shloms

Oct 28, 2011
Hi everybody

Is it common that I charge the phone to 100% and when I go to sleep lost 10% every night (8 or 7 hours)?

I disable wifi, 3g and bright screen is minimun

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

PD: I use the last Turkbeyrom (v29.2) and the kernel siyah v2.4.1

Ideal would be < 1% / hour. If you are not using using phone during sleep, you can put your phone to flight mode :)

Fully charged battery is a special case as there's a factor called "resting".
All li-ion batteries have some sort of dropout voltage after a full charge.
This voltage drop gets worse as the battery ages and you can lose about 5% in a short time (less than 30 minutes) even when not using the battery at all (even if you take it out and put it on the table).
You can test it with a real voltmeter after charging to full then let it rest for 30 minutes and measure again, if the battery has aged you can notice a few 10s mV drop (like 4.20v to 4.17V).

jankoboys6

Apr 21, 2008
Code:
Thanks for you post, although I found this page before myself. Well I don't think it's useful anymore because they have stopped development. Some features might not work anymore and in the future it probably wont work so well on ICS.

Did you or anyone else found any similar apps or a widget with similar features? It might save up battery because the screen time for getting all of this short yet useful information is much shorter.

xjacko7x

Sep 21, 2011
There are a ton of things you can do, but the truth of it all is that our 3G/4G radios pull so hard they drain the battery, which is why you were on the right track when you disable active since, Facebook and Twitter.
The main two things I do, is
1. add a widget for turning off 3G or 4G (If its in your area).
2. Installed Startup Manager ( it disables startup programs in the unseen background, (my phone is rooted)).

by doing these two things I am able to get 17hrs+ on a standard HTC EVO 4G battery. Keep in mind the more you use the Internet the more it will drain your battery. So I only turn the internet connection on when I need it or the app needs it.

*I also only use one screen and remove unnecessary widgets but I find that doesn't help the battery life all that much, (my personal Preference)
*When I or my sons game on my phone I put it on Airplane more which turns off all Radios including the Phone (call/text)
*Drawback to turning 3G off, you have to wait a few second for the internet to come back on and MMS won't download through your messenger unless have it one.
I've been off the charge for 8hrs and my battery life is still at 65%

Sorry to be long winded but if I know anything its battery life

I am glad that you have found a happy medium (for you) between usefulness and battery life, but to me......you way feels way too much like a feature phone and less like the android experience on a smartphone I am looking for. My solution is to tidy up my phone as best I can and charge when I need to (have car and office chargers available) or carry an extra battery or two if I know I will be away from chargers for a long period of time. I like using my phone, and sometimes I use it a lot. No amount of battery saving or tweaks is going to save you if you have the screen on and are using the phone a lot.

If my phone's screen is off and the phone is idling and I am not talking on it I don't ever have a problem with my battery lasting a full day and night. Of course, that never really happens.

webslasher

Jul 4, 2011
Malang
to turn off all synching and remove all widget, it is a bit ironic isnt it,

ANDROID which is a new breakthrough, bringing social network and managing your mail efficiently anywhere. But we have to turn off all these feature just to conserve battery life, and in the end we use our android just to call and sms/mms(oops mms use mobile data and really drain our battery). My dumbphone is more than enough to handle call and sms.

Homescreen and widgets is one of the key features in android, no other smartphone have homescreen and widget, but then, we have to ditch these feature too, what the hell..

hardware developer should invest more on power efficiency , not performance. Or better yet more dependable battery. Dual core ? Quad core ? meh, who need that in a smartphone, in the end, to save battery(again), only 1 core will do the most work

Squazic

Mar 13, 2011
I'm not sure why manufacturers put so many battery draining widgets on their many homescreens. They eat up the battery like crazy and then people complain that Android phones don't have as good battery life. I've found that removing any widgets that pull heavily decreases battery use. Really, you shouldn't have any at all if you want great battery life, but then what would be the fun of having an Android?

I agree batter life in bad but I have no intention of having an android iphone. Loosing the majority of what makes android look cool in the name of BL is like turning off all the pretty features of a computer to save a few Mb of RAM. Just buy new hardware. I own 4 batteries for each of my 3 android devices including wall chargers for each type. A quick battery swap and a reset of battery stats and ur good to go for another 4 or 5 hours at peak use.

GNmagic

Dec 15, 2011
I am currently testing to see if my battery can longer on a single charge by having only 1 screen with 4 widgets and 5 shortcuts on my note.

leyus

Oct 8, 2011
to turn off all synching and remove all widget, it is a bit ironic isnt it,

ANDROID which is a new breakthrough, bringing social network and managing your mail efficiently anywhere. But we have to turn off all these feature just to conserve battery life, and in the end we use our android just to call and sms/mms(oops mms use mobile data and really drain our battery). My dumbphone is more than enough to handle call and sms.

Homescreen and widgets is one of the key features in android, no other smartphone have homescreen and widget, but then, we have to ditch these feature too, what the hell..

hardware developer should invest more on power efficiency , not performance. Or better yet more dependable battery. Dual core ? Quad core ? meh, who need that in a smartphone, in the end, to save battery(again), only 1 core will do the most work

Indeed, I think HTC desire hd and s were top notch devices, everything later expects sacrificing some functionality for battery life or like in my case with sensation carrying second battery in my pocket. If I will buy quad core will I have to carry around 3 batteries? Or 4? Maybe more and still sacrifice some functionality? No thanks I will not buy any new Android phone till they fix energy efficiency or improve battery technology.... so not soon. If my phone will get broken etc I will just get myself desire HD as it is awesome phone and battery life is decent. I done mistake once buying sensation and never again.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA App

okishead

May 20, 2011
Omg, +1, that is absolutely epic research and graphene can be made quite economically too.. but I doubt that will stop them costing the earth :p.

Not gonna happen in the next decade for sure, attended a conference in Hong Kong and got some answers.
I really don't get why is there so much fuss about this battery question when there is always a solution. There are at least two great extended battery bands out there. Pick up one for you (I use Mugen Power - use this site, other are fake) and then calibrate your battery accordingly. There is also a great app that allows you to use several batteries without messing your indication statistics. Check here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1256862
Combine an extended battery, tons of advises across the forum and this app and you'll never have issues again.

farshad525hou

Dec 13, 2011
Massachusetts
All I really do in terms of battery saving is I just turn off data when I'm not using it, as well as dimming the screen, and I easily go up to 25 hours on a charge, sometimes even more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thing is, that battery consumption should be minimal AS LONG AS it doesn't make our devices unusable. So - unlike some people - I'm not willing to disable EVERYTHING to gain 3 more hours of usage.

I have an HD2.. with a regular 1230mAh battery.

I use android alarms all the time so I keep TypoClock on my homescreen all the time. I also use the calendar and tasks.. so I have pure calendar on. I have 10 icons of my most used apps (along with the lower shortcut bar in launcher pro) and I read tons of RSS articles so I have Scrollable News Widget (which is AMAZING, btw).

What I am doing, is maximize battery life in a different way.
    I use Tasker to do most of the job for me. I have like 20 profiles..

I can also assure you that putting on a black theme instead of white one will NOT help your battery life. It will kill it. The lighting - as far as I know - has nothing to do with the color of your background. A white background will only help you see better since you need less light to see things since it returns most of it. A black background will swallow more light and you will have to use higher brightness.

I'll try to algorithm-ize everything (this is NOT what I use in tasker.. it's only a logical array of what's actually going on).

1. Data
    Code:
    If "WiFi Available" And Not "Dead Hours" Then
         Enable "WiFi" & Disable "Mobile Data"
    Else
         If "Mobile Data" is Required Then
              If Not "Signal Strength" = Very Low
                   Enable "Mobile Data"
              End If
         Else
              While "Dead Hours"
                   Disable "Mobile Data"
                   Disable "WiFi"
         End If
    End If

2. Bluetooth
    Code:
    If "Bluetooth" is Required Then
         Enable "Bluetooth"
    Else
         Disable "Bluetooth"
    End If

3. GPS
    Code:
    If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "GPS" = On
    Else
         "GPS" = Off
    End If

4. Brightness
    Code:
    If "Alarm" = On Then
         "Screen Brightness" = 10
    Else If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "Screen Brightness" = Auto
    Else
         Use "Brightness Motion Pro" (for fast manual control)
    End If

5.Auto-Sync
    Code:
    While "Dead Hours"
         Disable Auto-Sync

6. USE A WATCH! How many times a day do you turn your display on to look at the time? You're not only waking up the screen. You're interrupting sleep mode.

7. Data sync. I will not get into it too much as every person uses a different set of applications. The idea is, that you need to learn what's important to you and at what frequency and set the polling interval to as low as possible or to not at all.
    For instance, I poll my work mail every 15 mins instead of using push and it's a battery saver.

8. Use "Current Widget". You will learn how to act accordingly.

9. If you're not a market addict, use wifi only for updates. Using mobile data for downloads is MUCH worse a battery eater than downloading thru wifi.

10. Use MORE apps which SHORTEN your usage - LESS apps which you do not use.
    When you spend more time with your display on (which is, of course, the WORST battery killer) you will need to recharge more. I use Homescreen Icons, Launcher Pro's shortcut bar and "Wave Launcher" to minimize the need to look for apps in my drawer and I use SwipePad to call my favs instead of having to look for them in my contacts app. I also use Delayed Lock so that I don't have to unlock my phone every time when i'm in a familiar place. Idle apps will hardly consume battery - and these apps are 99% idle.

Some apps which you're not using might require background sync/whatever...

11. Minimize SD Card usage.
    You don't have to stop listening to music if that's your thing. What you CAN do, is move as less apps as possible to your sdcard. SD access consumes more battery (if i'm not mistaken) than nand access.

12. Disable as many "less important (to you) features" as possible, in settings.
    Disabling haptic feedback and other vibration-using features will help a lot. Disabling animations.. will help less, but still help.

13. Volume
    Lowering the Volume of ringtones and notifications in quieter places will consume less battery. For instance - I use:

Code:
    While "Location" = "Home" || "GF's Place" || ...
         If Not "Alarm Volume" Then
              "Volume" = 30%-

14. Last thing. Some of you probably turn it on to see if something has changed in the last 22 seconds (IT DIDN'T!) or to click the app drawer, roll thru the apps, and turn the screen off again. Stop that. It's stupid. It doesn't even have anything to do with your battery life.. it's stupid regardless of that :)

You're invited to pm me if you want some help with setting up tasker.

cheers.
    An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S
    I've taken similar measures and have been able to go 11 DAYS on a single charge at one time, now averaging about 6-7 days per charge.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305130

The important thing is to get the idle battery use down (< 1%/hr idle), and let important notifications through (using SMS is more efficient than keeping a 3G connection active.
    Completely agree. What's the point. Either you don't use your phone for ANYTHING, and watch the battery last for 2 weeks (literally), or you use it so heavily that it lasts only 2 hours....

I was sick recently, and as such couldn't use my phone (I couldn't open my eyes without getting dizzy, and even closed.... still was). Suddenly my HTC Inspire 4G used only 20% of the battery in 10 hours. The previous day, heavy mail, "friendstream" (HTC's facebook/twitter/etc app/widget), listening to music (well, audiobooks) for about 8 hours, and I had only 20% left. And i've found that overclocking the phone to 1.3GHz helps more than any other tweak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm obsessive about using my phone *and* getting awesome battery life out of it. But the ONLY way to true "maximize" your battery life is to *minimize* your usage. But then you might as well buy a feature phone.

And I know a few people with iPhones. a 3GS and a 4 and a 4S. They don't get any better battery life than I do. Heck, they get worse. Even under the same type of usage.

For me, the problem isn't the usage, isn't what's running, or what's loaded (but it does help/hurt). The problem is that battery technology has NOT kept up with consumer needs, or IT development. Your battery is dying as soon as it leaves the factory. Your battery is dying every time you change it. Especially when it gets hot. your battery dies faster when it's cold outside. We need better energy storage medium. Period.
    Thank you for the info on Slide Screen Pro (I found only it's homepage. Can't find it on the market though). I'll make sure to check it out since I believe it's the thing I would love to use + save up BL. It's funny that this app actually reminds me on the homescreen of my old HP iPaq 100 series with Windows Mobile 6.0 :)

Edit: Unfortunately Slide Screen Pro has somehow stopped developing that's why it's not on the market anymore :/. Thanks anyways ^_^

Code: