[HOW-TO] Enabled GSM Phone calls on the JTC Jetstream (S-OFF - ROOT - WIP)

Search This thread

feherhollo

Jul 3, 2008
Budapest
Yes unlock bootloader not equal to S-OFF. BTW can somebody help me with stock ATT rom for Jetstream?? Somebody can nandroid backup his device or something. I need to reflash my ATT device to factory but I cant with footballs uploaded zip. I cannot use my device now. I have a topic started with this in the development section. Please help. Thanks

guru_shastri

Oct 25, 2010
were the changes to the build.prop saved? cause sometimes if you don't mount the internal memory, the files are view only the changes arn't saved.

make sure that you use a file explorer that allows you to mount the internal memory. and make sure you remember to mount it.

LockeCPM4

Jun 27, 2008
Michigan
www.att.com
Thank you, making sure I saved the changes was a big help.

It is sudo working now. I just get no sound either from speaker or BT.

I will have to dig around a bit more.

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia
Now, I wonder how long it'll be before AT&T starts sending out nastygrams about using this device as a phone in much same way they did back with the original Galaxy Tab... "You're using this equipment on our network in ways we didn't intend for it to be used! C&D!!"

Granted, only people with grandfathered unlimited plans, or people with tiered data, but no tethering add-on will likely see these nastygrams... Mark my words though, it's just a matter of time... :p

Greedy money grubbing bastards AT&T... *mumble grumble*

Giblet-dono

Mar 24, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus Nord
Now, I wonder how long it'll be before AT&T starts sending out nastygrams about using this device as a phone in much same way they did back with the original Galaxy Tab... "You're using this equipment on our network in ways we didn't intend for it to be used! C&D!!"

Granted, only people with grandfathered unlimited plans, or people with tiered data, but no tethering add-on will likely see these nastygrams... Mark my words though, it's just a matter of time... :p

Makes me happy to not use AT&T (Holland Vodafone/KPN) !

Jade Eyed Wolf

Nov 4, 2010
Arlington Virginia

Wow, is it just me, or did my post really bring this thread to a grinding halt? o.o;;

itzik-g

Dec 22, 2005
Indeed the magic works - Confirmed !

Unlocked the Bootloader via HTCDev.
Rooted the Jetstream
Modified the file
Installed GO SMS Pro

What is working:
-----------------
- Using ORANGE SIM card
- Got the Phone icon
- Able to dial to any mobile number (but no Voice on both sides)
- Able to SEND & Receive SMS
- Able to get missed calls Notification

What does not work:
------------------------
- No voice during call session - other side is connected but no voice at all
tried speaker, tried HTC headset, nothing works - No voice.

- No ringtone or RING Notification when other side is calling the JetStream,
Only missed called notification after hang up

Anyone got better that i did ?
Any suggestion how to get voice working?

At least SMS is working Perfect - both sending SMS from the JetStream or Receiving SMS to the JetStream (using GO SMS Pro) , also SMS notification works.

dovid

Apr 26, 2006
No Sound for phone call

B"H

Same by me - No sound.

Unit makes calls, but I cannot hear no matter what.

Interestingly, even though my headset is "paired", the device still states Jawbone not paired.

And the phone app is weird - it always changes to portrait mode, and doesn't have all the normal options on it.

Any help?

Thank you,

itzik-g

Dec 22, 2005
Any news here with the Voice issue ?

Has anyone did managed to get voice either with HTC headset or with a BT headset ?

juannicolas

Mar 10, 2011
Caguas
Can't get S-OFF on mine. I have tried more quite few times but nothing. I only get root but not S-OFF. I know S-OFF is not so important for now since there's not too many roms to choose from but it would be nice to be on the must-update-device-to-install-roms list :p

capychimp

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 18, 2009
At home
About missing voice, test HTCacoustic libs, if there.is a sound image.folder check.the.files, the codec and.CVS files on.etc folder, reg files, all about Mic sound, stock HTC mms.apk needs some editing I will try look into it, but no promise as for sound you guys have.to mess.with on your own, as one need the.tablet to figure it out hope it.points you in the right way sorry for all the dots, hate typing on phone

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium

Reactions: Giblet-dono

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
I came across some threads on the Flyer section where after updating to Honeycomb, they are not able to make voice calls-rather they can make calls but the no voice problem etc remains. So here is just a wild hinch that our problem may be due to the honeycomb OS itself rather than the process of enabling calls. Maybe someone with more know how can check into and/or port the voice call necessary files from the gingerbread flyer for us..or we would have to wait for the much coveted but yet unconfirmed release of Ice Cream Sandwich for our dear Jetstream..

The post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1384233

Sent from my HTC PG09410 using XDA App

Last edited:

Giblet-dono

Mar 24, 2009
OnePlus 7T Pro
OnePlus Nord
I already had a hint in how to fix the problem..
The problem is that I don't have the proper Linux setup.
Im actually waiting for a developer to make a de-odexed rom,
If a (good) custom rom gets released I will have another swing at it!

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
Hi, I finally used the enable gsm calls method and was successful. While playing around with it, I discovered something which may be of some use.

Call forwarding as I had asked is possible and very much works. I live in India and own an Airtel SIM. So searched for any MMI codes which would help me enable it. Found some and tried them. So, to forward all calls:
To start, enter **21*number #
To stop, enter ##21#

Note-I do not however know if it is the same codes for other networks. Have tried it on Aircel, Idea and they work perfectly fine with both. Probably if this does not work with other networks, could just google for the codes for individual networks.

Once you do this, you will notice a small blue call forward icon at the right bottom of the screen. On opening this, you will see Call Settings. Screen shot attached. There are options for Voicemail Service, Voicemail settings, other Settings like-TTY Mode, Hearing aids, Phone settings, Cell broadcast, Cell broadcast settings, Call forwarding, Call Barring settings, Additional Settings, Home Country and Home dialing.

under the Additional Settings, is a tab for Caller ID and Call Waiting. Phone settings has Edit Default Message, Edit message and Save to contacts.

I have not got the sound to work as of yet by playing around with any of these settings yet though. I have not been able to figure out which service or process is it which gives us these settings. But may be some developers may be able to figure something out. Who knows, we may stumble upon the actual process which may give us sound in calls and more access to the system resources.

P.S.: Kindly note that in order to cancel the call forwarding, you must use the MMI code itself - i.e. ##21# or else it will continue to forward calls even if the sim is on a different handset.

Attachments

• 2012-03-02_16-41-50.jpg
    2012-03-02_16-41-50.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 309
  • 2012-03-02_16-51-07.jpg
    2012-03-02_16-51-07.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 2012-03-02_16-51-34.jpg
    2012-03-02_16-51-34.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

soliditalstud

Nov 15, 2011
so calls work .again no sound and messaging as well.

now i was able to get my hands on a deoxed version of mms.apk (version 3.0.2) and place it in the /system/app directory and changed permissions.. it launches i send a msg , it doesnt send, timesout of retrys, then it FC, so im close lmao i got it to work with GO SMS PRO, but would prefer the sense messaging version..

one thing i found weird was the face that the options when holding down on a msg is all messed up under the stock mms.apk and when typing in a contact to send it to. the dropdown list of contacts.doesnt find anyone..hmmm

any ideas..we going in the right direction?

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
I already had a hint in how to fix the problem..
The problem is that I don't have the proper Linux setup.
Im actually waiting for a developer to make a de-odexed rom,
If a (good) custom rom gets released I will have another swing at it!

Hi,
Any luck with the solution to fixing the problem? Some roms have emerged including by Task650. may be you could share what the problem might be related to and others on the community can try fixing it as well.

kailashpchhabria

Dec 4, 2011
Bangalore
A few posts above chapychimp kinda explained it ;)!

Ok. I did play around a bit and try different things. Here is what I managed to do and get to.

1. /system/etc/soundimage - srsfx_trumedia_voice.cfg shows configuration for a lot of sound realted issues - like routing-output device, BT headset, speaker, wired headset, AUX/line out with each having blocks like hard limiter, TruEQ, CSHP and WOWHD. These settings include gain - found some set at 0.400 and others at 1.000. So I did play around a bit with the gain settings and did manage (I think) to improve the sound reception on google talk - not sure though if it actually happened or if it was just because i thought i had changed something. The souting-output device section has a lot of disallowed devices including Bluetooth A2DP - did try enabling the wired headset and seeing if anything happens but in vain - I think some of the other settings specific for the BT headset must also be altered.

2. /system/etc - some files like A1026_CFG.csv, AdieHWCodec.csv, AdieHWCodec_WA.csv, AIC3254_REG.csv, AIC3254_REG_DualMic.csv
Each of these files has some binaries set for stuff like phonecall_reciever, phonecall_headset, phonecall_speaker, phonecall_by.vr_no_ns_reciever. I could not figure any of this out so have not touched any of this.

3. /system/etc - CodecDSPID.txt and CodecDSPID_PVT.txt - both seem to have definitions for various sound+mic functions - for phone, playback, recording, voip. All except phone have values set with definitions for certain files within /system/etc/soundimage. Phone is left blank. As all of them seem to be specific for each function, I do not know what to define for the phone functions.

4. /system/etc - IOTable.txt and IOTable_XB.txt - both as I understand have binaries set for input-output with each method of input having binaries specific for it. Again as I do not understand, have not touched these.

5. /etc/permissions - tablet_core_hardware.xml - the permissions include instructions which say that GSM phones must also include android.hardware.telephony.gsm.xml which is missing from the folder. May be if we could get that file, try incorporating it and testing what happens.

These are what I found. I am not so well versed with binaries and stuff so I do not know what to do further. If anyone else who has the know how is interested can can try taking this further, will be much appreciated.

Edit: In case this is all basic stuff which has already been checked by more experienced users than me, I am sorry about repeating known stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5318008

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So to make and receive phonecalls on you 3G Jetstream:

Prerequisite:

1) 3G JetStream
    2) S-Off (get yours from HTCDev now!)
    3) Root (get yours from DoomLord)

Using root explorer or your favorite text editor edit the build.prop file under /system/build.prop
    You could also use Prop edit (free in the market).
    edit the following lines:

Code:
    ro.ril.reject.cs.ss.enabled=0
    ro.ril.reject.mo.ussd.enabled=0
    ro.phone.function=1

To enable Bt Headset profile change the following:

Code:
    ro.bt.profiles	= 4270403
    service.brcm.bt.ag_supported = 1

Save your changes and reboot your device.
    Look under the programs menu you will see the phone app .
    You will now be able to make and receive calls.
    WITHOUT SOUND!

Tested on AT&T HTC Jetstream With Dutch "Hi" simcard!
    If this helped you Just Thank me !

Reports are rolling in that calling works but sound doesn't work, not through speaker/Bluetooth or normal.
    As I have only found these buildprop tweaks, I don't really know what's going on behind it!

Enjoy!
    so even install anything we wont be able to use for calls because mic will not work ?

I'm sorry overhaste reaction
    Yes we might be able to, we don't need any soldering.
    The calls ARE actually getting made with the method in first post!
    BUT! The sound does not work.
    This is due to libraries inside Android.

We MIGHT just get it to work with AOSP (Showp-1984 still workign on it)
    The same way the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 did not come with call support, but can be enabled with AOSP (and even normal roms now)
    Plus that the HTC Flyer also can use phone calls so... it's VERY possible we will eb able to use this in teh future
    No any new news about sound.?

We are waiting for ShowP to release his new JB kernel..
    After that development might continue.

It could take a while though, ShowP is doing VERY hard work, and it takes ALOT of his time!
    Yes I know that unlock bootloader is supported by htcdev. But s-off is supported too? First post says soonly supported.

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using XDA App
    About missing voice, test HTCacoustic libs, if there.is a sound image.folder check.the.files, the codec and.CVS files on.etc folder, reg files, all about Mic sound, stock HTC mms.apk needs some editing I will try look into it, but no promise as for sound you guys have.to mess.with on your own, as one need the.tablet to figure it out hope it.points you in the right way sorry for all the dots, hate typing on phone

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using xda premium