[Q] Waiting for ICS?

Search This thread

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
So I was all ready last week to pull the trigger on a Droid 4 with Verizon, despite being with AT&T, until realizing that...
  • I have really inexpensive unlimited data with AT&T, while Verizon wants me to wear leather and vasoline for the pleasure of data
  • The Droid 4 is a Motorola… and it took like nine months of promises for the Backflip to get updated.
I'm not sure I want to buy a phone today with a glimmer of hope of ICS next November, rather than waiting a few months for something else.

Has this factored into anyone else's actions?

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Not having ICS really doesn't bother me that much. GB is pretty nice IMO. It looks like ICS will come eventually. Third quarter maybe. But I would be surprised if we don't have an ICS ROM to flash long before then. I don't plan on running stock for long anyways, so for me, dev support is more important that what version of Android it ships with. Judging by the dev support for the Droid 2 and Droid 3 I am pretty sure that we should have pretty good support for the Droid 4 as well.

Support is already there for the Razr as well. Since they are so similar I would not be surprised to see some ROMs ported from there which could help speed up the process.

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
True enough, but the Backflip left an unpleasant taste in my mouth for Motorola upgrade support and for relying on open ROMs. I'm happy writing embedded software, but my phone is also a business tool and needs to be pretty solid.

punkonjunk

Feb 16, 2012
I wasn't too concerned either, my archos tablet was maxed at 1.6, and GB is a lot nicer. ICS will get around when it does, and this phone does everything I could want. If I need something it doesn't offer, then I'd look into new ROMs.
It would be fun to tinker with ICS, though.

garlick2

Dec 12, 2011
So I was all ready last week to pull the trigger on a Droid 4 with Verizon, despite being with AT&T, until realizing that...
  • I have really inexpensive unlimited data with AT&T, while Verizon wants me to wear leather and vasoline for the pleasure of data
  • The Droid 4 is a Motorola… and it took like nine months of promises for the Backflip to get updated.
I'm not sure I want to buy a phone today with a glimmer of hope of ICS next November, rather than waiting a few months for something else.

I was using a RAZR up until last week when I got my D4. I LOVED the RAZR, awesome phone, but the lack of a keyboard was killing me.

That was GB, and I've played with a Nexus for 2 weeks while I was trying to figure things out, and honestly, ICS is great and all, but there's really nothing on the Nexus I couldn't do on a GB phone that I was like "I gotta have this".

It's a great operating system, but it's not the "end all be all" for mobile computing.

I also was not very happy with the build quality of the Nexus. it just wasn't nearly as nice.....period. You cannot convince me otherwise, as I scratched the hell out of that thing in the 2 week time that I had it. My RAZR after 3 months of solid use, still looked basically brand new, and was rock solid.

The GB implementation on both the RAZR and the D4 is AWESOME. Blur is so minimal these days, it's hardly noticeable, and the only FC's I've had on this thing have been with Bank of America's stupid app, that FC's on every device. (I dropped BofA for banking recently....so goodbye crappy app)

So from personal experience, I can honestly give you a straight up review of both OS's, and tell you, it shouldn't factor in your decision at all.

Hardware is WAY more important in the long run, because I would hate to have a phone that had the latest software, but looked like a piece of crap after 6 months. Also, without a keyboard, I have learned I just can't live that way yet. Speech to text is only "so" good, and it won't replace my keyboard until they can figure out how to make it better. I also cannot for the life of me figure out swype, so forget that hot mess.

The one thing that I really truly miss on my D4 that the RAZR had, is the screen That 4.3" beauty on the RAZR was ridiculous. It was the best AMOLED that I've ever laid eyes on. I haven't seen the 7.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, that is supposed to be even better than that, but if it's even 1/3 of what the RAZR was, it's going to be awesome.

The D4 screen is bleh.....it really is the only weakness that I can see in what is otherwise a rock solid, applications monster, that helps my productivity everyday.

So that's my $.02.

As for the idea of leaving an unlimited data plan on AT&T, if I were you, I would call Verizon, not go into the store, and haggle. Tell them the only way you leave your AT&T contract is if you get unlimited to replace it.

They do have special offer codes, that can get you the unlimited data plans, but you have to demand it. It may take talking to a manager, so don't be shy about it.

Reactions: RideZeLitenin

Wotta

Dec 14, 2010
Garlick, thanks. I'm not actually very concerned about the unlimited data. I have WiFi in most places so my "unlimited" has averaged about 250MB, below any of the limits anyhow. But AT&T is great for Euro-travel also; Verizon is more expensive in the places it works. If it's that great a device, I may jump soon anyhow.

technologic

Apr 10, 2010
Grand Island
I've had the bionic, which I thought is a solid phone yeah it had some connectivity issues but other than that its solid, then I had my Samsung Galaxy Nexus and don't get me wrong ICS is awesome on it but its a Samsung it had just as bad data drops as my bionic if not worse. Which by the way is for sale. Then I got my DROID 4 and have been back in heaven yeah I miss the bigger scree but everything else it makes up for it.

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011
i will wait for ICS/CM9, but it seems like i wont have to wait too long!

that, and the big screen are the only things i miss about my DX

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011
Garlick, thanks. I'm not actually very concerned about the unlimited data. I have WiFi in most places so my "unlimited" has averaged about 250MB, below any of the limits anyhow. But AT&T is great for Euro-travel also; Verizon is more expensive in the places it works. If it's that great a device, I may jump soon anyhow.

Honestly... I have unlimited data from verizon, grandfathered from before they put the cap on. BUT, looking at my usage, i never exceed 2gb. And i stream music every day on my commute (1 hour each way).

greekchampion04

Apr 6, 2011
as far as international travel goes.. i would NEVER pay for verizon (or any carriers global roaming) i have a quad band GSM phone that i take with me anywhere i go and and just buy a local pre-paid sim and pop it in.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I was using a RAZR up until last week when I got my D4. I LOVED the RAZR, awesome phone, but the lack of a keyboard was killing me.

That was GB, and I've played with a Nexus for 2 weeks while I was trying to figure things out, and honestly, ICS is great and all, but there's really nothing on the Nexus I couldn't do on a GB phone that I was like "I gotta have this".

It's a great operating system, but it's not the "end all be all" for mobile computing.

I also was not very happy with the build quality of the Nexus. it just wasn't nearly as nice.....period. You cannot convince me otherwise, as I scratched the hell out of that thing in the 2 week time that I had it. My RAZR after 3 months of solid use, still looked basically brand new, and was rock solid.

The GB implementation on both the RAZR and the D4 is AWESOME. Blur is so minimal these days, it's hardly noticeable, and the only FC's I've had on this thing have been with Bank of America's stupid app, that FC's on every device. (I dropped BofA for banking recently....so goodbye crappy app)

So from personal experience, I can honestly give you a straight up review of both OS's, and tell you, it shouldn't factor in your decision at all.

Hardware is WAY more important in the long run, because I would hate to have a phone that had the latest software, but looked like a piece of crap after 6 months. Also, without a keyboard, I have learned I just can't live that way yet. Speech to text is only "so" good, and it won't replace my keyboard until they can figure out how to make it better. I also cannot for the life of me figure out swype, so forget that hot mess.

The one thing that I really truly miss on my D4 that the RAZR had, is the screen That 4.3" beauty on the RAZR was ridiculous. It was the best AMOLED that I've ever laid eyes on. I haven't seen the 7.7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, that is supposed to be even better than that, but if it's even 1/3 of what the RAZR was, it's going to be awesome.

The D4 screen is bleh.....it really is the only weakness that I can see in what is otherwise a rock solid, applications monster, that helps my productivity everyday.

So that's my $.02.

As for the idea of leaving an unlimited data plan on AT&T, if I were you, I would call Verizon, not go into the store, and haggle. Tell them the only way you leave your AT&T contract is if you get unlimited to replace it.

They do have special offer codes, that can get you the unlimited data plans, but you have to demand it. It may take talking to a manager, so don't be shy about it.