HTC Media Link HD quick review

Search This thread

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
It is using compression for the transmission. For example when playing 1st person games and you pan around a room, you can see the screen version is absolutely sharp and clear, but the TV version shows obvious signs of compression. After the image becomes static, the resolution improves.

I have not experienced any real issues with massive buffering, or lag. However there is a persistent lag of about 0.2 of a second which could affect some games players.

I also have the issue where if you play music, and then hit home, the music stops a couple of seconds later. You are supposed to be able to play music and videos on the TV, while using the phone for other things. I cannot get that to work.

Last edited:

Rahulg247

Jul 5, 2010
So just to clarify, am I correct in saying that if a wi-fi network isn't available then the phone can't communicate directly with the HTC Media Link HD?

In other words you need to have a wi-fi network available that you know the password for whenever you want to use this?

azazin

Jun 16, 2010
So just to clarify, am I correct in saying that if a wi-fi network isn't available then the phone can't communicate directly with the HTC Media Link HD?

In other words you need to have a wi-fi network available that you know the password for whenever you want to use this?

That's exactly it, for some reason the Media Link HD itself has it's own WiFi network but you can't connect to it, you must connect to a home/internet WiFi connection to mirror images or do anything.

Reactions: Rahulg247

Rahulg247

Jul 5, 2010
Oh so that is quite a large aspect where the media link device falls short as you may not always have a wifi network to connect to.

Another question, if the phone is connected to HDMI through a wired MHL connection, can it do everything it can do when connected via media link, i.e. mirroring?

azazin

Jun 16, 2010
Oh so that is quite a large aspect where the media link device falls short as you may not always have a wifi network to connect to.

Another question, if the phone is connected to HDMI through a wired MHL connection, can it do everything it can do when connected via media link, i.e. mirroring?

Indeed D:, I would assume so, I know for a fact it can mirror via wired MHL with better quality than the Media Link HD but not sure about the other features such as playing a video whlist going on the internet, because I think the Media Link HD itself handles these things (it temporarily stores things)

Reactions: Rahulg247

dannysmith43

Apr 5, 2011
Been playing with mine today and it doesnt like MX player at all...bloop! What is the stock app for playing movies? How do I get movies to play on the Tv and then browse the phone etc? "Watch" is only interested in paid content!

Sent from my HTC One X using XDA

AndyG1985

Apr 24, 2010
You can use a hot-spot from another device or friends phone if you're not at home or somewhere with Wi-fi connection. Still not ideal but a solution for now.

dannysmith43

Apr 5, 2011
Ok so I tried using Mobo Player and I get a black screen on my device and the video on the TV but if I navigate away from MoboPlayer it stops playback!

I also get some flickering lines on the TV no matter what video I play. I tried the stock app which allows me to stream to the TV whilst navigating the device but it plays back my 720p video recordings in fast forward...

Not impressed!

coproma

May 6, 2012
Same problems here. I'm not sure if it's because its too far away from my dual band router but it won't even play videos smoothly that were shot with my one x, and says the ones shot with my desire are in an unsupported format.

the device does set up easily and will auto configure to your home WiFi. if no WiFi is available it creates is own network. I also tried this by factory resetting the media link and turning my router off, however I'm still unable to watch content recorded on phone and there's no way I could play any kind of game let alone anything like riptide.

I'm just glad it was free with my phone, I'd be gutted if I had paid for it.

if anyone's got any ideas on how to make it work properly let me know but I think I've done everything possible.

first post so hello by the way.

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
Same problems here. I'm not sure if it's because its too far away from my dual band router but it won't even play videos smoothly that were shot with my one x, and says the ones shot with my desire are in an unsupported format.

the device does set up easily and will auto configure to your home WiFi. if no WiFi is available it creates is own network. I also tried this by factory resetting the media link and turning my router off, however I'm still unable to watch content recorded on phone and there's no way I could play any kind of game let alone anything like riptide.

I'm just glad it was free with my phone, I'd be gutted if I had paid for it.

if anyone's got any ideas on how to make it work properly let me know but I think I've done everything possible.

first post so hello by the way.

Strange. I watched the last exorcism last night on mobo player and it stuttered once then was fine

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

coproma

May 6, 2012
Just tried something else. using WiFi analyser I've connected my phone to my 5ghz channel and I'm able to play games but the video issues remain. Also the image quality of the games is quite poor. It's probably massively truncated to reduce lag but overall I'm very unimpressed with the device so far. Fingers crossed for a decent update!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The medialink HD arrived this morning, as it was a free gift courtesy of phones4u. I played around with it for 2 hours, and this is what I think:

It was incredibly easy to set up and use, it even came with a stand so you can stick it on top of your HDTV. So that is a nice little bonus!
    The actual product itself is MUCH smaller than I thought it would be, I thought it would be at least the size of the One X, but no, it's pretty damn small!

One thing I noticed, is that when playing an intense game like Blood and glory, it stutters for the for 2 minutes of gameplay, then it seems to run like a hot knife through butter, I found this was the same with web browsing too!

HD content and games overall look amazing, HTC actually got something right first time for once! I really recommend this product to ANYONE with a One X! Any questions more than welcome of course :)
    I have noticed when using the on-board video player, pressing the power button it still streams to the media link hd, which is good as you want to turn the screen off on the HOX anyway.... If I do the same with a third party one like BS Player it will cut off. Am on the 1.28 rom still.... Also picture quality was better through the HOX video player than BS player.
    Anyone get there media link to update. Everytime mines try, it times out and says try again later.
    I bought a second one to make sure the 1st one wasn't defective and now the second one won't update neither.

1st one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.57.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.57

2nd one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.56.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.56

If anyone has gotten it to update can you please post the current version

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Anyone get there media link to update. Everytime mines try, it times out and says try again later.
    I bought a second one to make sure the 1st one wasn't defective and now the second one won't update neither.

1st one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.57.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.57

2nd one says on the main screen: VERSION 1.56.789.0
    while trying to update from phone it says: Current Version M2.5.56

If anyone has gotten it to update can you please post the current version

Been working on getting this thing to update for 3 days. And today I went out and bought the second one. Well after 991 tries, it updated just now.

now the 1st one says on the main TV screen: VERSION: 1.71.103.0
    and on the phone it says: Current Version M2.5.71

One other noticeable difference is after the update, you will see the "wifi" symbol on your tv at the media link HD's main screen. I've done lots of research and I've noticed that on most of the youtube videos that were released after this years MWC everyone had this wifi signal shown where's mine didn't.

(to anyone wondering, I restarted my phone (EVO LTE) and resetted the media link HD. I also turned off the security password on my wireless router. Don't know what happen this time, cause i did all that several times before, with no such luck. But anyways, I guess I can return the 2nd one now) :0)

FYI I even wrote a email to HTC expressing my dislike for how the Media Link HD worked. Everything has to work thru the phone? Why not connect it to the router and then any HTC One (or similiar) in the network could connect faster. Hopefully they update this thing and get the many bugs out.

I was 2 seconds from giving them both of our (my wifes and mines) EVO LTE back and going with the SIII. Thats blasphemous for us, as much as we've supported HTC since it's UT Starcom days.
    Jep, works well on OrDroid 7.1.0 too.

Anyone figured out how to send video stream to MediaLink from PC? Is it possible?

Yes, Right click on your media file and there would an option of "Play To". You can select any DMR available on your network- HTC Media link should be one of them. Till the time you can see HTC Media Link as one of DMR in your "PC Network", you can play the content on TV through Media link.

Good luck
    I got mine today, I *was* pleased with it right up until I came to watch a film from HTC Watch, a rented film.

I can play all other media, mirror the display but it just would not stream a rented film.

I phoned HTC only to be told that it will stream if you've purchased the film but not if it's rented!!! Utter balls.

If I wanted to do that, i'd buy the DVD proper and rip it and watch it rights free on any device I own, not take up fixed space on the phone or have to keep downloading it over and over. I thought the whole point of HDMI was to preserve the DRM so are they saying that they've screwed it up and can't protect a rented film?

Nowhere in the documentation, sales site or HTC site does it place this restriction on the use of the device.

I quite like the HTC watch film library, particulary the 5p weekend specials but this ridiculous undocumented limitation is a major step back as I had hoped to avoid using the MHI cable.